PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Dimension Door

VGLordR2
2012-10-17, 09:52 AM
Hello, everyone. I have a few questions regarding Dimension Door.

First, let's say that I am able to use Dimension Door as a Move Action. Could I use my Standard Action to ready an action set to trigger immediately after I activate Dimension Door, or would this be prevented by the wording of Dimension Door?

Second, can I still make Attacks of Opportunity after using Dimension Door?

Third, can I use Dimension Door to transport me through a wall that I cannot see through?

And finally, are there any feats or Prestige Classes that synergize well with at-will Dimension Door? I am aware of the Telflammar Shadowlord, but I'm wondering if there is anything else out there.

Thanks for any help.

Snowbluff
2012-10-17, 09:56 AM
If you are a Shadowlord, Dimension Hop is better. Can combo with the Blink Shirt, if that's what you want to do.

Master Conjurers can cast Conjurations that are Standard as Swift actions.

Keld Denar
2012-10-17, 10:04 AM
You can't take any actions unless explicitly told to. Dim Door effectively ends you're turn, even if you have unspent actions. our not that allows for reactions (like readied actions or AoOs) is unclear, and has never been officially clarified.

You don't need Line of Effect or Line of Sight for Dim Door. Its a simple vector mechanic. Pick a direction and a magnitude, and there you are. If it was blocked by LoE, it wouldn't have mechanics for appearing inside of solid objects.

The 3 classes that shadow pounce are Shadowlord, Crinti Marauder, and Blade of Orien, although Blade is a bit sketchy on whether it works for abilities other than you're dragonmark, or for action types other than move actions.

For feats, I can only think of Sun School, which requires a monk dip for Flurry of Blows.

If you like homebrew, Eldariel built the lovely Ephemeral Blade PrC. At 8th level (ECL 15) it gets the Diamond Rift martial stance which allows initiation of a martial strike after a teleportation effect. Its a Psionic/Martial blend PrC with a focus on Diamond Mind and Psychoportation.

CigarPete
2012-10-17, 10:09 AM
The spell Dimension Door explicitly states that you can take no further actions until your next turn, so I would say no to the first. As far as I know, you are not considered to be flat-footed after DD, so you should be able to make AoO after. Third question, absolutely. You can use the spell to take you to a particular place if you visualize it, or a specific distance in any direction.

You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.

VGLordR2
2012-10-17, 10:54 AM
Thank you all for the input. I have two more questions that I forgot to put in the original post.

Does the use of Dimension Door count as movement for abilities like Expeditious Dodge or Skirmish Damage?

If it does not count as movement, could you take a five-foot step after using Dimension Door (since a five-foot step is not an action)?

Thanks again for the help.

ericgrau
2012-10-17, 12:45 PM
I'd think whether or not you can make an AoO depends whether you can make attack actions (which would mean attacks aren't actions). I'd lean towards no, you can't. You aren't denied dex but I'd think you still couldn't AoO.

KillianHawkeye
2012-10-17, 01:38 PM
Does the use of Dimension Door count as movement for abilities like Expeditious Dodge or Skirmish Damage?

If it does not count as movement, could you take a five-foot step after using Dimension Door (since a five-foot step is not an action)?

Thanks again for the help.

DD isn't movement, it's teleportation. Teleportation is specifically the ability to travel without moving through the intervening space.

Aegis013
2012-10-17, 01:47 PM
And finally, are there any feats or Prestige Classes that synergize well with at-will Dimension Door? I am aware of the Telflammar Shadowlord, but I'm wondering if there is anything else out there.

Crinti Shadow Marauder from Shining South. It gets Shadowpounce as well.

CigarPete
2012-10-17, 04:04 PM
If your DM allows PF stuff, there is a feat chain there that will mitigate the no-actions clause of DD - Dimensional Agility(take any remaining actions), Dimensional Assault(DD as a charge), Dimensional Dervish(dd multiple times in 5ft increments up to twice speed at any point during full attack), and Dimensional Savant(DD to flank with multiple allies and yourself).

Snowbluff
2012-10-17, 04:13 PM
If your DM allows PF stuff, there is a feat chain there that will mitigate the no-actions clause of DD - Dimensional Agility(take any remaining actions), Dimensional Assault(DD as a charge), Dimensional Dervish(dd multiple times in 5ft increments up to twice speed at any point during full attack), and Dimensional Savant(DD to flank with multiple allies and yourself).

D Dervish sounds... broken with Telflammar Shadowlord. Each Teleportation gives another Full attack, and more attacks for increments.

karkus
2012-10-17, 04:48 PM
If you use it like a spell-like ability, then there are some situations that you could take one more attack afterwards. If you are a Rogue who can use it as a move action, then it might be possible to say that you teleport forward about 50 feet and then Sneak Attack a guard that was standing there.

Also, I'm not sure if they've been answered yet, but questions #2 and #3 are true; you can move through walls and such, but if you end your teleport within a solid object, you are "shunted" out to the nearest available space and can take a boatload of damage doing so (I think it's 1d6/10 feet traveled). You also may take attacks of opportunity in that same round, provided that you have not already used them all up.