PDA

View Full Version : In need of an answer

OrlockDelesian
2012-10-17, 10:35 AM
Hi guys.

I posted this before but it got lost....

Is there a way to counterspell a quickened spell?
Must you counter it with a quickened spell as well?

(Ex a quickened fireball needs a quickened fireball or quickened dispell to counter, or the normal versions will work as well?)

And how do you counter Immediate spells like Celerity?

Thanks in advance!

DeusMortuusEst
2012-10-17, 10:42 AM
Hi guys.

I posted this before but it got lost....

Is there a way to counterspell a quickened spell?
Must you counter it with a quickened spell as well?

(Ex a quickened fireball needs a quickened fireball or quickened dispell to counter, or the normal versions will work as well?)

And how do you counter Immediate spells like Celerity?

Thanks in advance!

Contingency should be able to do that, if it's worded correctly. Craft contingency spell if you want several up and running.

OrlockDelesian
2012-10-17, 10:51 AM
I do not allow Craft Contigent spell in my game (I think it is WAY WAY to powerfull) but contigency is ok.
But what if someone doesn't have access to contigency and has spend his feats and build in counterspelling? Is he doomed to lose from guys with quickened and immediate spells that are 2-3 lvls below him?

Jeraa
2012-10-17, 10:53 AM
From the 3.5 Rules Compendium (page 36):

Counterspelling Metamagic Spells
Metamagic feats aren’t taken into account when determining whether a spell can be countered.

And from the same book, page 110:

You can ready a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action. To do so, you must specify what you want to do and the conditions under which you will do so. Then, any time before your next turn, you can take the readied action in response to those conditions. The action occurs just before whatever triggers it. If the triggering condition is part of another creature’s activities, you interrupt that creature’s turn. Assuming the interrupted creature is still capable of doing so, it continues its turn once you complete your readied action.

Since a readied action takes place before the action that triggered it, you wouldn't need a quickened spell to counterspell a quickened spell. You cast your counterspell right before the opponents casts his quickened spell.