PDA

View Full Version : Diplomat Build- Suggestions Welcome

Sugashane
2012-10-18, 12:55 AM
The game I am playing is extremely role-play laden, so my current character at times is little more than the enforcer. So after he gets retired (another level or two, so not too long) I want to make a diplomat, but who can be useful in battle as well.

The first several levels are keyed of the Fred the Diplomancer, with a few alterations. He is a half-elf

Lvl- Class (Source)
1- Bard 1 (Races of Destiny Variant- pg. 158).
2- Bard 1/ Marshal 1 (MiniH- pg 11)
3- Bard 1/ Marshal 1/ Binder 1- Bind to Naberius (Tome of Magic pg 43)
4- Bard 1/ Marshal 1/ Binder 1/ Warlock 1(Complete Arcane pg 6)
5- Bard 1/ Marshal 1/ Binder 1/ Warlock 1/ Dragonfire Adept 1 (Dragon Magic pg 24)
6- Bard 1/ Marshal 1/ Binder 1/ Warlock 1/ Dragonfire Adept 1/ Incarnate 1 (Magic of Incarnum pg. 20)

Feats
1- Sacred Vow
3- Item Familiar (unearthed Arcana pg. 170)
6- Negotiator

So here is my breakdown assuming an 18 in CHA at 6th level-
9 ranks Diplomacy
8 Charisma (Marshal doubles modifier)
6 Synergy
3 Skill Focus
4 Motivate Charisma (Marshal aura)
2 Racial (Half Elf)
2 Sacred Vow perfection
2 Mwk tool circumstance
6 Beguiling Influence enhancement
8 Item Familiar
2 Negotiator feat
10 Custom item (Ring of Diplomacy for example)
Total Diplomacy Modifier- +62

Now I could abuse it further for the remaining 14 levels, even take a level of paragon half-elf to get the bonus feat Complementary Insight (RoD) to make it a nice +65. But I want to be useful for more than talking. Or another level of Bard to get the spell Friendly Face for another +5.

Options to take after are rogue, paladin of freedom for 2-3 levels, likely with the devoted performer feat (my DM loves to roll out random diseases if food is unchecked or if there is an outbreak in the cheapside of the city, and divine grace is fantastic). I do want to have a heavily armored character this time, so I also might focus on divine spellcasting. I would love to do something that would get me 9th level divine spells in 10 levels but I am yet to find a class to let me other than apostle of the peace or ur priest.

I can use nearly anything in 3.5, except I cannot use the Apostle of the Peace as it requires Vow of Poverty, which is disallowed by the DM. I also cannot be evil whatsoever, or use Dragon Magazine. Other than that, I just must meet prerequisites for the class, even the most strict through roleplay. I cannot use online sources either. If it is not in a 3.5 book, it is not allowed.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Any and all ideas are appreciated!

Flickerdart
2012-10-18, 12:58 AM
Missing some sweet Guidance of the Avatar action there.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-10-18, 01:14 AM
One-level dip in Exemplar to be able to Take Ten and get a bonus to it.

But honestly? Don't do it. Not if you want anyone else to have any fun.

A check at DC 50 means actively Hostile individuals go to Helpful. If you pull up the Epic chart, a DC 90 check means Indifferent goes to FANATIC. You'd need a 150 to make actively Hostile go Fanatic.

The point is... you just Won The Game. Every encounter ever is trivialized by your ability to make them your devoted followers.

Yea, it's powerful... but it's like bringing a TO build (which you have actually came close to actually accomplishing, very similar to the Jumplomancer except using actual Diplomacy) to a game... it just ruins the fun for everyone.

Sugashane
2012-10-18, 01:31 AM
Being bound to Naberius allows my character to take a 10 on Diplomacy, and also to do so rushed with no penalty. Some of the abilities are interesting for Exemplar though.

Guidance of the Avatar sounds perfect but I don't see it in any book. I will edit the original post as I forgot to mention that I cannot use online sources.