PDA

View Full Version : Good spells for a cooking caster?

Togath
2012-10-18, 03:04 AM
In a pbp campaign(after finding out clerics were allowed for some reason)
I've decided to make him a cause cleric, with his cause being "become the deity of cooking, and fisticuffs", anyone have good ideas for cooking themed spells?, Or ways to use/refluff spells as being cooking themed?

Malak'ai
2012-10-18, 03:09 AM
Create Food/Water. Hero's Feast... Umm... That's all I can think of :smallconfused:.

Togath
2012-10-18, 03:20 AM
aye, that's where I ran into a block as well.
Do you think it would be too much of a refluff to change summoning spells into summoning animated food?(such as fiendish giant attack peppers, or a celestial cheese wheel)

Crustypeanut
2012-10-18, 03:23 AM
You could argue that with appropriate profession skills (Cook, Baker, Brewer) that you can make Potion-Food and Alcoholic Potions using the Brew Potion feat.

Other than that, I'd say go Fire Domain and begin roasting up some BBQ. Hit them with a flask of BBQ sauce and then roast away. Obviously, this would probably be better as a wizard or sorcerer.. but meh.

avr
2012-10-18, 03:40 AM
The best cleric spells are buffs, with the occasional debuff/save or suck/save or die. For buffs, you might throw some spices in the air and call upon their power; debuffs et al are harder, but I guess you could be using red hot chilli peppers as 'mace' or similar.

Besides not often being an effective use of your time, I do think that refluffing summons as giant cheese wheels or whatever is likely to risk breaking the suspension of disbelief. Better to 'lure' the summons in with the promise of some of your best cooking as part of the spellcasting.

Jeff the Green
2012-10-18, 03:55 AM
Do you think it would be too much of a refluff to change summoning spells into summoning animated food?(such as fiendish giant attack peppers, or a celestial cheese wheel)

Two words: Spell Thematics. (It's a feat from PGtF.)

Also, maybe check out the Mark of Hospitality from Eberron Campaign Setting.

Analytica
2012-10-18, 04:06 AM
Play some Kingdom of Loathing, or check their wiki. Basically all their magic is food-themed and can be used for new fluff here. I always considered their Pastamancers, with their healing pasta bandages, to be clerics of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and their Saucerors... something.

This is of course all assuming your campaign is not meant to be serious in tone.

Togath
2012-10-18, 04:17 AM
I'm not actually sure of the tone of the campaign yet, and I had mostly been going cleric since they're tier 1.
And because I wanted to see if "wanting to become a deity" was a viable cleric power source in it.
The character is also intended to be melee(probably with a few warblade levels) so the ideas for re-fluffed buff spells could work well.
edit: darn, warblade, crusader, and swordsage are banned(I have no idea why though, since the gm is allowing everything else in tob, as well as increasing initiator level to be equal to bab, as well as removing the limit on how many martial study feats you can take, as well as adding a feat which gives any class a maneuver recovery method, all good changes for all non tob classes)
I still like the idea of melee(with either cleric, or perhaps a different caster if something else might have better spells for this, as part or all of the progression) with cooking themed magic though, I do sort of like the fire concept as a backup to buffs, perhaps through desert wind maneuvers? and maybe enough barbarian levels to get the fiery rage feat(fluffed as the power of eating mystic peppers perhaps?)

Darrin
2012-10-18, 06:06 AM
Prestidigitation (Core)
Gentle Repose (Core)
Hoard Gullet (Dragon Magic)
Jet of Steam (Complete Mage)
Boiling Blood (Complete Mage)
Flaying Tendrils (Complate Mage) ("BRAINS!")
Parboil (Sandstorm)
Wall of Salt (Sandstorm)

supermonkeyjoe
2012-10-18, 07:53 AM
I'm surprised no-one has said grease yet! There is also the horrible taste spell in the Spell Compendium but I can't recall if clerics or any domains get it.

Togath
2012-10-18, 08:23 AM
Those two would be good(I had entirely forgotten about horrible taste. The various "salt" spells could also be good[including the wall of salt spell mentioned a few posts up])

Kansaschaser
2012-10-18, 08:38 AM
How about Fabricate and Unseen Crafter? Fabricate can "create" the food in a single round. Even something that normally takes all day to cook, you can do with a single casting of Fabricate.

With Unseen Crafter, you can have a "cook" that is as good as the caster that can spend 1/day a level cooking for you, or someone else.

Socratov
2012-10-18, 08:53 AM
You could argue that with appropriate profession skills (Cook, Baker, Brewer) that you can make Potion-Food and Alcoholic Potions using the Brew Potion feat.

Other than that, I'd say go Fire Domain and begin roasting up some BBQ. Hit them with a flask of BBQ sauce and then roast away. Obviously, this would probably be better as a wizard or sorcerer.. but meh.

You wouldn't by any chance be willing to expand on that creating DnD Plants vs. Zombies?

nedz
2012-10-18, 01:14 PM
Goodberry in the Gluttony Domain, which has most of the other spells mentioned.

Poison ?

Anyspell-Prestidigitation in the Spell Domain.

ericgrau
2012-10-18, 03:04 PM

Well some monsters are already pretty edible, but not many. Others you could refluff into more edible versions like porpoise => tuna. Others you just need to be in the right part of the world to eat them: dog, monkey and raven (England, btw). And technically all of them could be eaten.

You could refluff some fire spells like flame strike as charbroiling.

I forget which book it's in but there are rules for cooking and eating all sorts of monsters. You could talk casually about what you're going to do with a foe when you kill him while fighting... and when you win actually do it.

Spells to produce flame, store wood, store a cooking pot, flavor or store seasonings, preserve food, etc. are very handy. You could ask for a custom cooking domain with spells like shrink item ("Even a burning fire and its fuel can be shrunk by this spell"), prestidigitation (simply increase it to level 1) and gentle repose. Higher level spells might also fit any of the above ideas like flame or summons or heroes' feast.

TypoNinja
2012-10-19, 05:50 AM
Can't go wrong with fire.

Everything tastes better from a barbecue.

Everything.

ShriekingDrake
2012-10-19, 06:06 AM
It strikes me that you could consider finding a way for your cleric to get spells like plant growth and summon nature's ally as ways of getting ingredients. Though, SNA might not work unless you can prepare the food quickly, as I have never considered, until now, what happens to the flesh of a now-dead summoned creature after the spell's duration ends.

Krazzman
2012-10-19, 06:59 AM
There is an Domain of Feasting/Partying in the Eberron Campaign Setting.
You become immune to poison via ingestion.

Additional there is the Spiritual Weapon spell. Imagine it this way instead of a weapon you summon an animated kitchen that smashen people similar to the kitchen scene in beauty and the beast.

Edit:
Some ways to get goodberries (to make goodberry wine and similar stuff) or other such spells would be crucial.

I hope this helps.

Psyren
2012-10-19, 12:53 PM
Domain ideas:

Fire
Purification (if good)
Gluttony (if evil)
Community
Creation

ericgrau
2012-10-19, 02:47 PM
Animate objects on your kitchen wares could be a lot of fun.

Invader
2012-10-19, 04:08 PM
Heat metal

You have to have hot pans to cook :smallamused: