PDA

View Full Version : I've Just Realized

Deth Muncher
2012-10-18, 03:23 AM
I've been on this site over five years now. And this site has helped me learn so much about the intricacies of D&D, and is full of great people, and an awesome webcomic which I guess by default means I've ALSO been reading for five years (I had no idea it had been going on for so long).

The point is, you guys are great. It takes really awesome people to keep someone coming back to the same website for five years, and you guys are it.

Especially the moderators, who over the years have encouraged me to get back to your fun, citizen.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-18, 04:13 AM
I agree wholeheartedly.

I joined back toward the end of 2009 and in the years before and since I've never found another message board with such dedicated mods or such a well-behaved community. This place absolutely rocks socks.

Let's turn this into a thread of appreciation for the playground, shall we?

Crow
2012-10-18, 12:31 PM
This place does have some on-top-of-it-mods and a friendly community. I sometimes forget that and am shocked by the hostilty and vulgarity when I go to another forum!

Only other forum as friendly as this one that I have found is Dumpshock.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-10-18, 12:38 PM
I have been on these forums for fully a third of my life.

A third of my life guys.

Riverdance
2012-10-18, 01:46 PM
I agree wholeheartedly.

*snip

Let's turn this into a thread of appreciation for the playground, shall we?

Agreed. Thanks for being such a nice place Playground!

Narmoth
2012-10-29, 05:45 PM
Interesting. I was just going to make a thread like this as I just realized that this October is my 6th anniversary on this forum. Feels weird.

Let's take a quick recap:
When I started reading OOTS, they were still chasing after Xykon.
Then I discovered the Depression Thread (where is it now, by the way) and an amazing person - Bor the Barbarian. And also a lot of other really nice people.
Then I started playing in the Town (or whatever it was called, I really don't remember). Even tried to start a vampire hunting plot there. One day soon (well, at least before 6 more years pass) I should try to gm such a game.
Here I also met Shademan, who happened to live in the same city in Norway that I do. We became great friends, and he played my henchman on the last larp we were on.

And Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll, I believe you had a brother that wanted to start playing guitar. Or am I mixing nicks?

Talanic
2012-10-29, 06:00 PM
I've been here for what, seven years? Nuts if I know.

On the RPG boards, I learned how to actually play D&D and all the things I was doing wrong in my attempts to DM. Later I got help understanding how bad I am at DMing, but without anyone ever being rude about it.

I've posted about my writing and never been told off or been sworn at by a mod. Instead, when I broke the rules by accident I was politely told what I did wrong so I wouldn't do it again. I've taken years off and come back. I like it here.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-10-29, 07:23 PM
And Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll, I believe you had a brother that wanted to start playing guitar. Or am I mixing nicks?

Um, I don't think so. I learned to play guitar in my forum-life-time, but my brother has never showed the slightest inkling of musical interest.

Narmoth
2012-10-30, 03:37 AM
Just remembered the nick and something guitar related. My bad

Roc Ness
2012-10-30, 03:47 AM

A third of my life guys.

Hey, I've been on this place for just over a quarter of my life, which means we started at roughly the same age. High-five! :smallsmile:

Yeah, wow, four years on here... best forum I've been on I think. I'm very glad my younger self picked this place instead of somewhere more questionable. :smallbiggrin:

Dumbledore lives
2012-10-30, 03:48 AM
I guess I've been here for what, 6 years, it's been quite a while, and I've changed a hell of a lot in that time. Guess that means I've spent a third of my life here, more like half when you discount the time I don't remember. Huh.

AKA_Bait
2012-11-04, 02:35 PM
I couldn't agree more. I'm not really much of a message board person, except for this site. This really is a special place and we all owe signifigant thanks to Rich and the wonderful mods who make this a friendly, vibrant, and supportive community.

Long live the playground!

Dimonite
2012-11-04, 11:09 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with what's been said here. I only joined fairly recently, but this place quickly felt like home. You put up with my crap and I learned to be less crappy, so thank you to everyone who has made this forum the best place on the internet - especially the fantastic moderators.

Silverbit
2012-11-07, 12:33 PM
I joined very recently, and this is the best forum I have encounted so far. Thank you, people, for being so nice :smallsmile:.

Zherog
2012-11-07, 05:24 PM
Bunch o' newbs, I tell ya. And you darn kids need to get off my lawn, too!

Dr.Epic
2012-11-07, 05:47 PM

A third of my life guys.

So you're eighteen?

Okay, here's one: the number of years I've been on this site is equal to 1/15 of my current age plus 8. Solve for x.

Dimonite
2012-11-07, 06:34 PM
So you're eighteen?

Okay, here's one: the number of years I've been on this site is equal to 1/15 of my current age plus 8. Solve for x.

Well that depends. Is it (1/15)X + 8 or (1/15)(X+8)?

Dr.Epic
2012-11-07, 06:40 PM
Well that depends. Is it (1/15)X + 8 or (1/15)(X+8)?

y=1/15(x+8)

x represents my current age

y represents number of years I've been on this site.

Solve for x.

Kneenibble
2012-11-07, 06:42 PM
y=1/15(x+8)

Solve for x.

Doesn't that make you nearly 40?

I don't believe that.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-07, 06:44 PM
Doesn't that make you nearly 40?

Please see me after class so we can discuss your grade.

:smallwink:

Dimonite
2012-11-07, 06:45 PM
Assuming within-a-month accuracy, you've been on for 2.75 years, so:
(1/15)(X+8)=2.75 gives us a result of 33.25 years old. Unless, of course, you were simply saying "2 years because I joined in 2010 and now it's 2012," in which case the equation comes out to 22. Unless I'm doing my math wrong, which is entirely possible because I haven't mathed in a while.

Kneenibble
2012-11-07, 06:47 PM
Please see me after class so we can discuss your grade.

:smallwink:

I, I need an adult ;___;

Let me show my work.

y=1/15(x+8)

~3 = (x+8)/15

45 = x+8

37 = x

???
edit Or yeah, y=2.75. Still, I had you pegged for a young teenager.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-07, 06:49 PM
Unless, of course, you were simply saying "2 years because I joined in 2010 and now it's 2012," in which case the equation comes out to 22.

Yes. This. I didn't think people would go into such detail and try to convert the months into decimals.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-11-07, 06:49 PM
You're assuming that the good Doctor is counting by the month, rather than just ignoring that and considering 2010-2012 2 years.
Which is what he's doing. :smalltongue:

Kneenibble
2012-11-07, 06:51 PM
You're assuming that the good Doctor is counting by the month, rather than just ignoring that and considering 2010-2012 2 years.
Which is what he's doing. :smalltongue:

Since he went to the trouble of describing his age in an algebraic equation, I did not think he would round 10 months down.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-11-07, 06:53 PM
Since he went to the trouble of describing his age in an algebraic equation, I did not think he would round 10 months down.

do NOT QUESTION the WAY of the EPIC

Dr.Epic
2012-11-07, 07:38 PM
do NOT QUESTION the WAY of the EPIC

YES!:smallbiggrin:

Pokonic
2012-11-07, 07:40 PM
y=1/15(x+8)

Solve for x.

Your more than twice my age.

I think I need to lie down.

EDIT: Wait, nope. :smalltongue:

Knight13
2012-11-08, 10:07 AM
Look at my join date. December '04. Heck, that was when we had the big forum transfer that reset all our accounts, so I've actually been here for even longer than that. Granted, for most of that time I was just reading OOTS and Erfworld and not posting much, but still. I joined sometime in the middle of highschool, now I've been out of college for 4 years, so I've been a member for something like 10 years.

Damn, that makes me feel old. Oh well, might as well make the best of it.

Off my lawn, you whippersnappers!

*brandishes cane*

HalfTangible
2012-11-08, 10:21 AM
I spent a long while lurking on the forum before I actually made this account (had a bad run-in with a few previous communities, wanted both to calm down and see how college would affect my schedule) and I've gone into several different forums both since and before that time. I have yet to encounter another board this much fun, this friendly or this bloody... well, AWESOME. Thank you playground - I actually LIKE talking to people here =3 (No small feat - I HATE social interaction)

Maelstrom
2012-11-08, 11:37 AM
Bunch o' newbs, I tell ya. And you darn kids need to get off my lawn, too!

Argh, beat me to it! Anyhooo...what was I on about?

Wyntonian
2012-11-08, 11:55 AM
I've only been a member for about 18 months, but I do appreciate this place for its sense of community and togetherness. I've made some great friends, and done some awesome things.

Tvtyrant
2012-11-15, 10:53 AM
I rather like this place myself. I was attracted to it from the comic, and I stayed because of the politeness. The last forum I was on devoured itself, so it was a welcome change! You all are great.

Also, never realized that Wyntonian was a fellow Oregonian.

pendell
2012-11-15, 11:12 AM
I've been on this site over five years now. And this site has helped me learn so much about the intricacies of D&D, and is full of great people, and an awesome webcomic which I guess by default means I've ALSO been reading for five years (I had no idea it had been going on for so long).

The point is, you guys are great. It takes really awesome people to keep someone coming back to the same website for five years, and you guys are it.

Especially the moderators, who over the years have encouraged me to get back to your fun, citizen.

Thank you, Deth Muncher. I concur and echo your sentiments for the board at large. It's been nice to have you personally, as well :smallsmile:

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Arbitrarity
2012-11-21, 10:24 AM
How nice that this thread already exists. I was going to make one, after seeing some massive drama over in another forum.

Admins, Mods, you guys are doing a great job. Thank you so much for your professionalism and judicious natures. We may joke about how you encourage us to get back to our fun, citizens, but that's because we don't really have phrases with the correct connotations to describe your benevolent and unquestionable leadership.

The awareness that you're there, that you're fair, don't take abuse from anyone, and are dedicated to upholding the standards of discourse here is probably the greatest contributing factor to the polite and friendly atmosphere that permeates the Playground.

I may not have been around here as of late, but this place will always be a friendly (no longer so little) corner of the internet for me.