PDA

View Full Version : I'm on the Edge of Greed [3.5 Weapon]

Temotei
2012-10-18, 03:58 AM
Edge of Avarice

The edge of avarice is a golden cutlass with emeralds, rubies, diamonds, and sapphires set in its hilt and pommel, making it look rather ridiculous and obviously expensive. Whenever the blade is near something valuable that the wielder or the wielder's allies do not possess, it glows brightly, golden light shining from its blade and its gems reflecting light based on their colors.

The edge of avarice is a +5 keen cutlass that glows brightly whenever within 30 feet of a valuable object or sum of money (worth 400 or more gold pieces), shedding light as a torch until the object or money is in the wielder's or in his allies' hands or until the edge of avarice is sheathed, at which point the blade sheds a negligible amount of light. In addition, whenever the wielder succeeds in downing a worthy foe with the edge of avarice (by either reducing its hit points to 0 or killing it), the wielder gains a number of gold pieces equal to ten times his level, transforming the creature's lifeblood into a stream of gold that hardens into coins after a few seconds. A worthy foe is one that is of an equal CR or higher. The wielder must be the one that brings the foe down.

Strong transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, polymorph any object; price 77,777 gp; 38,888 gp + 3,111 XP.

Xefas
2012-10-18, 05:00 AM
Looks like an interesting little alternative to the standard Generic Magical Beatstick. You look to have valued the blood-to-gold effect at ~5,000gp, which I don't think I have a problem with, especially since it's only available at level 15+, when any spellcaster capable of making the item can get the means (if they don't already have them, which is likely) to magically destabilize the world's gold-based economy anyway.

The light-shedding ability is neat, though not mind-bogglingly useful (which is fine). I think the most amusing thing that could come of it would be, since its senses are based on whether an object is in yours or your "allies'" possession, you could have a dramatic moment where your sword switches "on" suddenly, because you no longer consider a nearby person your "ally", and thus their possessions start activating the sword.

The 77,777gp tag made me smile.

Temotei
2012-10-20, 02:46 AM
The light-shedding ability is neat, though not mind-bogglingly useful (which is fine). I think the most amusing thing that could come of it would be, since its senses are based on whether an object is in yours or your "allies'" possession, you could have a dramatic moment where your sword switches "on" suddenly, because you no longer consider a nearby person your "ally", and thus their possessions start activating the sword.

I'd love for that to happen in a game. It was one of the things I thought of while making it, so I just left it as allies instead of making specifications on who an ally is and whatnot.

The 77,777gp tag made me smile.

I'm glad. :smalltongue: