PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Oracle Curse Improvements

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-10-18, 12:05 PM
I'm confused about something with multiclass oracles. Are the levels they improve at character level or oracle level? If it's the latter, multiclassing really doesn't seem like a wise move, since only taking a few levels means you're stuck with a weakness.

Psyren
2012-10-18, 12:25 PM
I'm confused about something with multiclass oracles. Are the levels they improve at character level or oracle level? If it's the latter, multiclassing really doesn't seem like a wise move, since only taking a few levels means you're stuck with a weakness.

Correct, your curse depends on your Oracle level, not your character level. So multiclassing an Oracle will usually mean your curse gets stuck at a lower (and usually, less advantageous) position.

The relevant rule, from the PRD:

Note that there are a number of effects and prerequisites that rely on a character's level or Hit Dice. Such effects are always based on the total number of levels or Hit Dice a character possesses, not just those from one class. The exception to this is class abilities, most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class.

Unless otherwise specified, class abilities advance by levels in the class that grant them. Oracle's Curse is an Oracle class ability and therefore falls under this clause.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-10-18, 12:29 PM
Crap. The build I'm looking at suggests only 3 levels of Oracle and 4 of Paladin.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365

Psyren
2012-10-18, 12:34 PM
Crap. The build I'm looking at suggests only 3 levels of Oracle and 4 of Paladin.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365

Pick a curse that doesn't hurt too much. If you don't use language-dependent spells, Tongues merely requires a point in Linguistics from the rest of the party, and then only if you have something to say during a fight and have no telepathy etc. Wasting doesn't matter at all if you're not the face, Lame does nothing once you get Overland Flight etc.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-10-18, 12:39 PM
Weird...according to this SRD, the curse DOES improve if you multiclass, it just takes two levels as opposed to 1 level of oracle, so an Oracle 3/Paladin 4 would get their level 5 improvement at level 7. :smallconfused:

Psyren
2012-10-18, 12:41 PM
Ah, I missed that clause. So there is a specific exception in the Oracle entry. That should answer your question then.

RndmNumGen
2012-10-18, 12:55 PM
Weird...according to this SRD, the curse DOES improve if you multiclass, it just takes two levels as opposed to 1 level of oracle, so an Oracle 3/Paladin 4 would get their level 5 improvement at level 7. :smallconfused:

Yes, curses improve at a slower rate if you multiclass, but they still improve. This is the reason behind a dip of Oracle for Barbarian characters(with the Lame curse).

Vknight
2012-10-18, 01:00 PM
Yup
There is also the Oracle1/Paladin3/ and Summoner(Synthesis) to finish, as a build.
Gaining all the benefits of a Lvl 11, Oracle is fun

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-10-18, 01:01 PM
That solves all the issues! Thanks everyone! :smallsmile: