PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying CR Check?

Silvanoshei
2012-10-18, 12:54 PM
How would one, as a player character, go about using abilities/skills/magic to find out the Challenge Rating of monsters you're going up against? Basically finding out the level of said monster? Plus keeping it legal, as a player you know Dire Wolf is CR 3, but keeping to your characters knowledge... how would one ask such a question? :smallconfused:

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-18, 12:58 PM
How would one, as a player character, go about using abilities/skills/magic to find out the Challenge Rating of monsters you're going up against? Basically finding out the level of said monster? Plus keeping it legal, as a player you know Dire Wolf is CR 3, but keeping to your characters knowledge... how would one ask such a question? :smallconfused:

Use the rules in... Complete Adventurer I think. I think it gives you several categories... "Pushover" "Roughly Equal" "Tough Fight" "Impossible", etc. etc.

HunterOfJello
2012-10-18, 01:00 PM
I'd pick out a few random different types of checks.

1. Knowledge (______) relevant to its monster type for an impression of Much Weaker, Weaker, About the Same, Stronger, or Much Stronger than my own part.

2. Try out a BAB check to see if the enemy is a much better melee combatant than you are. I know that's not a typical check people do, but I think many DMs might accept it.

3. Sense Motive covers lots of stuff like that.

~~~~~~~~~

Complete Adventurer Provides a table for using Sense Motive to find out information on their CR vs. your Level/HD.

VanIsleKnight
2012-10-18, 02:29 PM
If they are sentient warrior type combatants of any sort (plate, no armour, leather with a whip, whatever) your Fighter and Monk could take note of things like their stance, the way they grip their weapons, how they carry themselves, etc to guess how experienced their opponents are. "You can tell that the way he's holding that longsword of his he isn't any more competent with it than your wizard is." You know, similar to how Roy was able to tell how Thog was Not-Thog.

You could also ask for quick Perception checks for them to take note of what equipment the enemy is using, so if there's any decent mundane or magical gear (masterwork and such) that could be an indicator of the enemy's strength, especially if it is can be made obviously apparent through roleplay that those items weren't just bought for a weakling rich fancy pants who wants to play pretend.

If the thing they're fighting is relatively unique or well-known in the area, a knowledge check from the bard or someone else with Know: Local could remember hearing about how scary this thing was, what it was rumoured to be able to do, and anything else that the crazy locals would rave about.

Alternatively you could just give them a magic items that displays varying colours or beeps or -something- when pointed at the enemy to say how scary or not-scary it is. Like a scouter! >9000 and such.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-18, 02:53 PM
You would employ the Assess Opponent standard action use of Sense Motive (CAdv 102) or if you had the Combat Intuition feat (CAdv 106) you could do this as a free action.

HunterColt22
2012-10-18, 03:34 PM
The funnier part of this is using urban savant as a prestige class. Now that your character knows all this information, such as the cr check and the like, now you need to act it to the rest. Have fun with that one.

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-18, 03:50 PM
Adding Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories and training in all the creature knowledge skills can help with information as well!

Palanan
2012-10-18, 07:36 PM
There's a first-level druid spell from Masters of the Wild called Power Sight, which allows you to determine the number of Hit Dice of a particular creature. It's 3.0 material, and I don't think it's been updated.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-18, 08:36 PM

"On a scale of 1 to 20, with a regular person being 1 and a Balor being 20, how powerful is this creature?". Refer to this number as "Power Level".

"Vegeta! What does the scouter magic say about his power level?"

INoKnowNames
2012-10-18, 08:57 PM
"On a scale of 1 to 20, with a regular person being 1 and a Balor being 20, how powerful is this creature?". Refer to this number as "Power Level".

"Vegeta! What does the scouter magic say about his power level?"

Does that mean Goku's a Dragon, what with hiw lower base value power level that hides the real strength of his abilities?

Slipperychicken
2012-10-18, 09:29 PM
Does that mean Goku's a Dragon, what with hiw lower base value power level that hides the real strength of his abilities?

I think Goku's player is a shameless munchkin. He probably had a lot of fun getting the Saiyan race allowed in the game (even though their home planet was destroyed, and the race genocide-ed, long before the game started), almost certainly with some broken template tacked on. He's completely min/maxed, dumping every mental ability he could in favor of combat stats, and possessing no skill which isn't useful for combat. Every season or so, he pulls out some broken combo he kept in reserve (although these might just be normal abilities from leveling -it isn't clear).

He even used a fast-time demiplane (http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperbolic_Time_Chamber) for training...

Silvanoshei
2012-10-19, 02:41 AM
I think Goku's player is a shameless munchkin. He probably had a lot of fun getting the Saiyan race allowed in the game (even though their home planet was destroyed, and the race genocide-ed, long before the game started), almost certainly with some broken template tacked on. He's completely min/maxed, dumping every mental ability he could in favor of combat stats, and possessing no skill which isn't useful for combat. Every season or so, he pulls out some broken combo he kept in reserve (although these might just be normal abilities from leveling -it isn't clear).

He even used a fast-time demiplane (http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperbolic_Time_Chamber) for training...

lmao... you're killing me. Thanks for the info guys! :durkon: