PDA

View Full Version : Aldhaven Vicious Betrayals - OOC

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

bobthe6th
2012-12-21, 07:03 PM
well, you could just say you fear the deep ones might come up the river, and so needs extra protection while near the port.

TheFallenOne
2012-12-21, 08:35 PM
Well, the docks at night have claimed another. He survived the surprise round but didn't manage to win initiative.

And that's where we noticed we have incompatible gaming philosophies. More precisely, he thinks 'Here is an encounter. You don't get to act. You die. No save.'(also known as Rocks Fall You Die) is an acceptable thing to do. I don't. Everyone plays the kind of game they enjoy, and one where DMs pull something like that on a player(well, more spectator in this case) don't qualify for me. All those who do enjoy Aldhaven I wish all the best as they continue to do so. It just turned out not to be the right thing for me. Happy Holidays.

hustlertwo
2012-12-21, 11:22 PM
Fallen, you strike me as someone who is told the stove is hot, repeatedly, and then manages to still be shocked when touching it burns him. So much so he touches it again just to be sure. Kids, learn from Fallen: don't touch the stove. It burns.

Besides, sounds like you got more of a fighting chance than one of Moranica's earlier PCs. He killed fewer people and was executed outright. (Admittedly, he was also a necromancer. City has a very biocentric view.)

Rizban
2012-12-22, 01:16 AM
And that's where we noticed we have incompatible gaming philosophies. More precisely, he thinks 'Here is an encounter. You don't get to act. You die. No save.'(also known as Rocks Fall You Die) is an acceptable thing to do. I don't. Everyone plays the kind of game they enjoy, and one where DMs pull something like that on a player(well, more spectator in this case) don't qualify for me. All those who do enjoy Aldhaven I wish all the best as they continue to do so. It just turned out not to be the right thing for me. Happy Holidays.

I'm really sorry you see it that way, because I did enjoy playing AVB with you. However, it was an execution order...

TheFallenOne
2012-12-22, 02:41 AM
Fallen, you strike me as someone who is told the stove is hot, repeatedly, and then manages to still be shocked when touching it burns him. So much so he touches it again just to be sure. Kids, learn from Fallen: don't touch the stove. It burns.

I don't mind going dying in a Sandbox game. I had already the build of my replacement laid out in fact. I mind taking 103 damage before I get a single action, or see the enemy. When the encounter starts and finishes without me. At that point I am not a player anymore. I'm a spectator.

planswalker
2012-12-22, 02:45 AM
since we've discussed this at length in your personal thread, I'd like to ask you to keep it out of the OOC.

hustlertwo
2012-12-22, 11:25 PM
All I can say is you weren't the first, and won't be the last. Think of Aldhaven as being a bit like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Some choices in those books are obviously dangerous. You know, like invading the primary stronghold in the city to wantonly slaughter members of the game's most powerful faction. At that point, it's less about whether you will die and more about what exciting form of death awaits you. The difference being that here, you cannot keep your thumb on the page. If you choose a suicidal course of action, the DMs will gladly oblige. They're nice like that.

Moranica
2012-12-23, 05:24 AM
Hustler is right. Preparation is key here. Not only does it make your actions look more professional, it also gives the DM's an opportunity to warn you about incoming dangers. The biggest benefit in the end is actually learning about the powers at play in Aldhaven.

hustlertwo
2012-12-23, 08:26 AM
And Moranica knows better than most; he had one of his PCs executed outright for a similar transgression.

Moranica
2012-12-23, 08:34 AM
Indeed, I didn't like it much at the time either. :smallbiggrin: It was simply adjusting my expectations.

Since most of Aldhaven is tailered to your character, numbers wise, by the DM. Most of it feels like within your zone, meaning the fight or flight choice are both options. But some parts are simply modeled ahead and you can hit them at any level you want, but they won't change. In the beginning it is those encounters that prove to be exceptionally lethal and should be avoided. Preperation is again key. If you walk blindly into one of those encounters, expect to die.

Also, banter in the OOC, do not listen to it at all. Most that use banter have some understanding of the city and are using you for their own good.

ps. please visit the sewers.

Rizban
2012-12-25, 03:47 AM
Been on the road the past few days. I won't be updating until a day or two after Christmas..

Togath
2013-01-01, 01:38 AM
no problem:smallsmile:.

It'll be interesting to see how the current encounter I'm in turns out, I'm one or two hits away from being knocked out, and am now trying to bribe the guard I was fighting a moment ago(I doubt it will work, as I threatened to kill him earlier), I'm pretty sure more guards will arrive in a moment as well.
If I do end up reapplyign with this guy, I'll probably make him a little less frail(and carry out the thievery by hand rather then by mindlinked birds)...I'd also probably give him better social skills, so I don't have to worry as much about trying to sell stolen jewels to the person who made them, again.

Monodominant
2013-01-01, 09:41 AM
Have you considered the possibility of NOT stealing?

:D

Anyway, Happy New Year Everyone! Enjoy your AvB threads and life in general!

Togath
2013-01-03, 10:32 AM
Have you considered the possibility of NOT stealing?

:D

Ironically Tormund started out as a fairly lawful character, though over time I decided it could be fun to try to play a phantom thief...though I probably should of made sure he had ability useful to that sort of character first(most of his abilities lean towards melee combat, cooking, or knowledge of legends).
Are templates allowed when resubmitting a character?(semi related, as the "dark" template[from ToM] would help even if I kept his build the same)

Slii Arhem
2013-01-03, 05:04 PM
Hey Rizban, go ahead and take me off the list of active players, I can't seem to find time to ease my way back into the game, and there are other who can better use my slot. Thanks for accepting me, but there's just not enough time in the day. Maybe some other time.

Sorry to those I may be letting down, but this is see you later from me.

Rizban
2013-01-08, 06:29 PM
Just a note. Thursday is my 28th birthday. I won't be posting from then until Sunday evening or some time Monday.

Aldurin
2013-01-08, 09:55 PM
Yay, you're back. Now I can continue the pathetic stalemate that is my character in any combat situation!

Togath
2013-01-08, 11:13 PM
I've managed to survive:smallbiggrin:.
How viable would stabbing the door to death in the new cell I was locked in be?
I can't remember if scratch damage applies to objects or not.

Moranica
2013-01-13, 07:24 AM
Such difficult decisions to make.

At this point I am offered wealth and power beyond anything I've had before. It would mean a major twist in the story. And I do not even know if it would be for good or evil. The unknown is so scary and tempting.

I am still undecided.

Togath
2013-01-13, 01:06 PM
Just make sure not to try to use the wealth in the plaza:smallwink:, not all of the shopkeepers there are inclined to not look into where it came from.

Moranica
2013-01-14, 04:12 PM
Sweet, made up my mind!

So, hereby, I extent an open invitation to all strong builds to contact me in game.

Aldurin
2013-01-14, 04:13 PM
I will gladly do that once I'm done trying to beat crippled hobgoblins to death (they started it).

Togath
2013-01-14, 05:18 PM
If I do give up on escaping...how long do you think they'd hold my character for?
His crimes so far are; trying to break into the noble's quarter, trying to kill two guards, stealing from a noble family, trying to bribe a shopkeeper as well as a guard(that he was in the middle of attacking), and breaking out of his cell(he then tried to disable the guard with the cell door, trying to bribe him after ambushing him with a door failed).
Hes also a binder, which might effect things as well.

Moranica
2013-01-14, 05:26 PM
Until you die I think. Which should be about 2 days. :smallwink:

planswalker
2013-01-14, 08:37 PM
or one sunset...

Moranica
2013-01-19, 09:31 AM
DM's, is there any similarity between the long surviving players?

bindin garoth
2013-01-19, 01:02 PM
DM's, is there any similarity between the long surviving players?

They're good runners? :smalltongue:

Well, right now I'm in the middle of debating on what do to about a certain someone. I get the feeling there's more to him, but can't prove it at the moment..........

planswalker
2013-01-19, 11:22 PM
the thing that the characters which have survived for a year or more is preparation. They have all been meticulous to plan out what they do and make sure they don't run off half-cocked to take something on. They also work to build up npc allies so if they get in hot water they're not going it alone. However, not all are socially adept. Some are just... effective at what they do.

omnitricks
2013-01-20, 01:42 AM
Alright, the detective is now in action at the city.

D_Man_7733
2013-01-20, 05:54 AM
Hey all, just thought I would poke my head around here, and maybe ask, what would the worst thing to do in order not to paint a target on your back for pickpockets & people who will kill you for the coin in your pocket... because I think have may just done it with my first post. :smalleek:. (but seriously, I may need to hire some muscle soon)

On another topic;

How does one gather information in Aldhaven? I feel that if you sit around eavesdropping, you'll be killed because you might have heard to much, and if you openly ask questions, you'll be killed because you might learn too much. Is that just the paranoia from the stories getting to me, or are my fears rightfully justified?

Rizban
2013-01-20, 06:01 AM
Oops, you asked in the OOC. You're probably going to be killed for that. :smallamused:

As DM, I refrain from answering such questions.

omnitricks
2013-01-20, 06:34 AM
How does profession skills work in aldhaven?

Edit: I mean as in they say per day. So if we do the check does it mean we cannot do anything IC for the rest of the day?

Moranica
2013-01-20, 06:36 AM
There's way's from your 3.5 skill set and there is always an RP substitute. The paranoia is justified, but it really depends in which business you stick your nose in.

Basicly, in real life you wouldn't just approach anybody and start pick pocketing or ask for assassination contracts. Rather, you ask for seedy taverns and dark holes.

..... or you go to the Flint.

Monodominant
2013-01-20, 07:50 AM
There is the skill gather info.

Taking a penalty to it means you gather info without letting people know you gather info.

Also there is knowledge local.

Lastly there is the option to walk up to someone and ask things...

All 3 are possible, all 3 may have different results.

bobthe6th
2013-01-20, 11:27 AM
So mono, are you going to be CoDMing? Cause that would be very cool...

Just wondering, is Willstaff still around? Or who ever was doing undead rights?

Also, how crazy are the slums as opposed to the docks? I know there are some skulk bandits around, but I hope not much more then that...

Moranica
2013-01-20, 11:42 AM
Willstaff is still around in the docks, I think.

Monodominant
2013-01-20, 12:03 PM
As the game is going in full swing I will start DMing some new blood as well. Rizban wanted to get things rolling before restarting us fully...

I was still DMing some 'old timers' (including Plans, Moranica and Rizbans character) and now its time to see if the new people have what it takes :D.

Info on who is still around and where can be found IC... unless if you are playing a local in which case you might get some info dumps.

Also, as Rizban didnt update it in the wiki, can you PM me your sheet?

bobthe6th
2013-01-20, 12:11 PM
hmm... should I trust that you aren't just going to use the info to kill the character... (signs of the paranoia of the game slipping into RL)

fine, sheet away.

bobthe6th
2013-01-20, 12:25 PM
Um... isn't it private thread time? I wouldn't like to show what my character would do at this juncture to other players, as it would reveal a significant portion of his build...

Monodominant
2013-01-20, 02:08 PM
You get a private thread when you get off the streets or when you get a 'plot hook'.

bobthe6th
2013-01-20, 02:15 PM
oh... I thought it was when you get out of the plaza. My mistake...

Togath
2013-01-20, 05:28 PM
Is the resubmitting of a character possible without dying? I'm having trouble seeing any way out of the new anti magic cell my character was put in.

Monodominant
2013-01-20, 05:47 PM
Staying in prison, getting sentenced and going through whatever punishment they give you is also a way forward you know?

Dont see why there is this compulsion to escape no matter what...

bobthe6th
2013-01-20, 06:03 PM
See, reason to have a non magical escape route...

Moranica
2013-01-21, 10:44 AM
Indeed, I doubt the DM's are so cruel as to keep you locked up for 2 rl weeks, before killing you or providing you with an escape opportunity. While they do punish ignorance and stupidity, they do so ruthlessly, rather then cruelly.

Monodominant
2013-01-21, 10:50 AM
Game time passes instantly...

You can go to prison in Aldhaven and the DM can say '4 long months pass while you wither away in the antimagic cell and in solitary confinment. It drives you crazy being away from your abilities for so long and it feels not like 4 months but like 4 years have passed'

Or something to that effect... probably we cant insta jump years in Aldhaven (given the game timeline) but still...

Rizban
2013-01-21, 11:51 AM
Is the resubmitting of a character possible without dying? I'm having trouble seeing any way out of the new anti magic cell my character was put in.
I'm pretty much just responding to your character's actions here. In his frame of reference, this hasn't taken much time at all, less than a day...

Indeed, I doubt the DM's are so cruel as to keep you locked up for 2 rl weeks, before killing you or providing you with an escape opportunity. While they do punish ignorance and stupidity, they do so ruthlessly, rather then cruelly.I'm not forcing anything. I'm just responding to his escape attempts...

Jeriah
2013-01-21, 07:31 PM
Are there any melee characters interested in a team up?

bobthe6th
2013-01-21, 07:36 PM
James probably will if the slums turn out to be a bust... though the idea of joining the undead liberation front is very attractive.

As are those beavers...

bobthe6th
2013-01-23, 07:43 PM
Ok... I have to give it to this game. In most games when I am told that I see three hobgoblins aproching, I know my charicter can probably take them. It might be a hard fight, but in the end he will win. In this game, I start looking for escape routes...

Combat is again the last resort.

Togath
2013-01-23, 09:05 PM
Some-one's come to make some sort of deal with my character...
Should I make sure Tormund is ready to attack if it turns out to be a trick? He does still have his shirt he could use as an improvised weapon if he needs to...though it might be worn from having been used to saw(partly) through his door, lol.

Monodominant
2013-01-24, 03:05 AM
@Bob - NPCs get to level too from killing all those 6th level people running around in their turfs :D

@ Togath - You used your shirt as a saw? Is it like from Adamantine???

Also... what is this obsession with escape? Stay in the cell were all the horrors cant get you!

Aldurin
2013-01-24, 03:34 AM
Stay in the cell were all the horrors cant get you!

But what if you want to become one of the horrors? You can't do that while stuck inside a cell.

Moranica
2013-01-24, 08:27 AM
That would such an awesome goal. Taking over the jail from the inside and running a criminal organisation from there.

It's been done before!

Monodominant
2013-01-24, 08:38 AM
If Scribly wants to try it we can arrange it...

Just turn yourself in!

Moranica
2013-01-24, 09:03 AM
Are you silly? I'd enter as a guard of course.

Lokio
2013-01-24, 12:51 PM
At least Rizban hasn't sent a particular metal-legged detective after you for trying to escape :P

Aaaand I'm back in the game. Playing a pretty blonde, oh la la ;)

Togath
2013-01-24, 02:50 PM
@ Togath - You used your shirt as a saw? Is it like from Adamantine???

Also... what is this obsession with escape? Stay in the cell were all the horrors cant get you!

I more bent the bars rather than cutting them, and the shirt was only leather.
Also Tormund's main reason for trying to escape was because he was fearful of execution for having attacked so many guards, and trying to break into the nobles quarter, and stealing from a noble family.
He also was worried they might have found out his "kabobs of the finest hare" were actually made from rat meat rather than rabbit.:smallbiggrin:

Kalirren
2013-01-24, 05:07 PM
Barred jail cells. Why every wizard always leaves one Hold Person spell prepared. (Material Component: one iron bar.)

Pity if you somehow end up in the anti-magic cell for being too flamboyant, though.

bobthe6th
2013-01-24, 05:10 PM
See I just like to use my 50ft extraordinary teliport... otherwise known as the "get out of anything free card"...

planswalker
2013-01-24, 05:24 PM
... except when the area's dimensional anchored...

bobthe6th
2013-01-24, 05:38 PM
Well yeah... actualy... *looks up dimensional lock*

because shadow jaunt and co were written in the classic ToB vague style, I don't think dimensional lock does jack to them. Unless I am reading an incomplete description, I think shadow hand teleportation is not interdemensional travel. From the fact it needs line of effect and line of sight, I think it is more like the character becomes a mote of shadow, and then returns to full size after moving to the intended spot...

now how this is extraordinary is a new question.

planswalker
2013-01-24, 05:47 PM
you choose to interpret it that way, but...

As part of this maneuver, you disappear
in a cloud of darkness and teleport up to
50 feet away. You must have line of sight
and line of effect to your destination.
If you attempt to use this maneuver
to move into an occupied space, you
do not move, and the maneuver is
expended but has no effect.

that doesn't change a thing.

Kalirren
2013-01-24, 06:16 PM
I'm curious, what percentage of the new PCs are ending up in jail? It seems awfully high to me.

Aldurin
2013-01-24, 06:25 PM
I'm curious, what percentage of the new PCs are ending up in jail? It seems awfully high to me.

It's cheaper than staying at the in :smallbiggrin:

Lokio
2013-01-24, 07:03 PM
its because people aren't playing evil well. if you're going to break the law, don't get caught lol

Togath
2013-01-24, 09:09 PM
Barred jail cells. Why every wizard always leaves one Hold Person spell prepared. (Material Component: one iron bar.)

Pity if you somehow end up in the anti-magic cell for being too flamboyant, though.

I actually did manage an anti magic cell due to being flamboyant:smallbiggrin:

bobthe6th
2013-01-24, 10:55 PM
you choose to interpret it that way, but...
that doesn't change a thing.

your doing a simaler thing... all that you have is the definition of teleport in the travel sub school. You assume that is what they meant. Which is the unclear part. It also dosn't account for requiring line of effect, which makes no sense for "instantaneous travel through the astral plane."

planswalker
2013-01-24, 11:08 PM
My point was that it isn't necessarily something you should *assume* dimensional lock won't block, since it IS vague. I know if I was your GM, it'd definitely be blocked.

The problem here is that TOB is a half-assed work which couldn't be bothered to explain itself properly.

bobthe6th
2013-01-24, 11:20 PM
True... it was at the height of the "editors, what do you mean?" stage of D&D splat books.

Still, it gave a lot of cool toys to play with... just wish it had been cleaner when it did so.

Still, baring jails(or other places were people drop an 8th level spell every few weeks...) it can get you out of nearly anything if you have the standard action. Still very nice in my opinion.

planswalker
2013-01-25, 12:09 AM
oh, I'll grant you that alright.

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 01:14 AM
Needing a standard action to get out of a sticky situations is an action too much already...

Go swift/immidiate or go home!

planswalker
2013-01-25, 01:20 AM
... Immediately! ba-dum *tish*

Aldurin
2013-01-25, 01:22 AM
Needing a standard action to get out of a sticky situations is an action too much already...

Go swift/immidiate or go home!

Find a loophole that reverses Time Hop, and get it quickened. Repeat until you rewind to the point where your enemy is sleeping, and kill him.

planswalker
2013-01-25, 01:31 AM
... what if your opponent doesn't sleep?

What if they're at their most dangerous when asleep?

Aldurin
2013-01-25, 01:44 AM
... what if your opponent doesn't sleep?

What if they're at their most dangerous when asleep?

Then you chose the wrong enemy and should go to the Docks in shame.

planswalker
2013-01-25, 01:53 AM
I only ask because both types of enemies are far from unknown among the pc's I ran in AVB. Actually, two of mine are facing such enemies right now, independently of each other.

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 03:18 AM
And dont forget Lokio who specifically got his previous character that graft so he doenst sleep!

Plus a ring of sustenance is the number 1 ring to avoid having to deal with lots of sleep, eating etc...

Rizban
2013-01-25, 04:44 AM
The problem here is that TOB is a half-assed work which couldn't be bothered to explain itself properly.And people wonder why I don't like allowing it in my games.

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 04:50 AM
And people wonder why I don't like allowing it in my games.

You allow the maneuvers... though I really only see them as a nice way to grab good semi invocations. Though 1 per feat is expensive as hell.

actually, that bears the question: would you allow a class that has sword sage class features & chassis, but normal 1/2 class level IL and a 1 maneuver per level progression of maneuvers known? Or a Prc to replace master of nine that hands out 9 maneuvers over 9 levels+some cool maneuver based things?

Rizban
2013-01-25, 04:53 AM
actually, that bears the question: would you allow a class that has sword sage class features & chassis, but normal 1/2 class level IL and a 1 maneuver per level progression of maneuvers known? Or a Prc to replace master of nine that hands out 9 maneuvers over 9 levels+some cool maneuver based things?

No.Why do I have to keep saying this?

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 06:28 AM
Ye gods, a combat just ended and my character isn't dead yet... what witchery is this?

Monodominant
2013-01-25, 08:01 AM
A combat ends and another might begin...

who can know these things bob... only God... and the DMs.

bobthe6th
2013-01-25, 08:22 AM
Now start the benny hills music.

Aldurin
2013-01-25, 01:30 PM
The fact that the arena is its own thread does not comfort me at all . . . and that I sought this place out before refreshing my spells . . .

Lokio
2013-01-25, 02:23 PM
And dont forget Lokio who specifically got his previous character that graft so he doenst sleep!

Plus a ring of sustenance is the number 1 ring to avoid having to deal with lots of sleep, eating etc...

*high five*

Sleep is for chumps.

hustlertwo
2013-01-25, 10:14 PM
The fact that the arena is its own thread does not comfort me at all . . . and that I sought this place out before refreshing my spells . . .

Nya ha ha!

Rizban
2013-01-31, 11:46 PM
Just back from a funeral. No updates tonight.

Moranica
2013-02-01, 07:58 AM
Condoleances.

My DM is once again putting me up for more fun then I was planning to handle. :smallbiggrin:

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 08:01 AM
Rule #1: make sure all oponents are dead before you start looting.

Monodominant
2013-02-01, 08:04 AM
Yea yea, blame Canada... its not my fault you went and involved half the factions in the city in your business...

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 08:30 AM
Was just walking down a damn street...

Also, mono, stop rolling so well. Really... 2/2 hits with 50% miss chance? The hell

Monodominant
2013-02-01, 08:45 AM
50% chance, 18 AC + Invisible... this last part is the most important cause it denies sneak...

But you cant complain, its all in the open and you know whats going on and why...

Not my fault you jumped off a building and stayed there.

Oh and you are lucky I only rolled a 3 on the how many there are...

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 09:11 AM
I apolagize, it was a joke... and crying out to the dice gods in frustration. Its not like you have haked the dice roll system... right Mono? Right? Oh no...

Moranica
2013-02-01, 09:18 AM
Obviously, I am a victim in all cases.

Is there I list of organisations? I wonder if I'm at 10% already.

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 04:57 PM
wow... out of the docks, with one HP left. Not a long term problem, but damn the docks deserves its rep. At night... yeah, that would be pants ****ting time.

Moranica
2013-02-01, 05:41 PM
Congratulations! That sounds like quite a feat. I'm thinking of visiting the docks, when I have at least half the city as back up.

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 05:52 PM
I mean... I would think a good sized group like a coalition of some sun gods clerics and a mixture of others could ROFL stomp the docks. Problem would be organizing them, and dealing with any surprises.

Though I think the next time James wants to go to the slums, he will just walk around the city...

Moranica
2013-02-01, 05:58 PM
Teleport...

Aldurin
2013-02-01, 06:02 PM
You could always plunder the one Artificer shop that's totally not run by one of the most dangerous PCs to walk in Aldhaven . . .

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 06:12 PM
Oh, so manage to do the one thing left in Aldhaven more dangerous then going into the docks at night...

bobthe6th
2013-02-01, 08:54 PM
New thing... is half price selling an assumed thing in aldhaven?

Togath
2013-02-01, 09:52 PM
You could always plunder the one Artificer shop that's totally not run by one of the most dangerous PCs to walk in Aldhaven . . .

Sound's like good advice(much like "don't try to fence stolen treasure at Jim's Jewelry"):smallbiggrin:

planswalker
2013-02-02, 01:11 AM
New thing... is half price selling an assumed thing in aldhaven?

it is with MY pc's and I'm pretty sure with Riz and Mono as well. You'll have to ask your gm, though.

Kalirren
2013-02-10, 10:19 PM
Hey, thechosen2nd? Was wondering if you're still in this game. It looks like I'm headed Goran's way IC, so I thought I'd give an OOC heads-up.

bobthe6th
2013-02-13, 07:21 PM
Gah... Plans, switching your avatar freaked me out... I mean, it has been the same for at least a year(when I first joined that one god game...)

Sees Morph's new avatar 5 seconds later...

Is it new avatar season?

Monodominant
2013-02-14, 04:28 AM
The God-Emperor demands that I do not even have treasonous thoughts that would make me change Him.

planswalker
2013-02-14, 10:00 AM
Hey, I didn't change avvies! I just zoomed out so you could see who those yellow pants belong to :smalltongue:

Togath
2013-02-23, 04:17 PM
Tormund's finally escaped :D, Managed to convince the guards he was possessed by a demon, and that that was the cause of his actions.

SillyAsFun
2013-02-23, 10:47 PM
Hi everyone. :smallsmile:

It feels really weird thinking I got through the waiting list. Kind of wish coyotecode didn't delete all the notes I had on the sheet now; I can't remember what my exact ideas were. Time to wing it? :smallbiggrin:

The Grue
2013-02-24, 12:33 AM
Confirming wing it.

Moranica
2013-02-24, 02:47 AM
Yeah, just wing it like Togath. :smallbiggrin:

The Grue
2013-02-24, 03:10 AM
Oh yeah, I guess I should say Hi and stuff too.

Hi guys. I just got the Stamp of Approval yesterday. :smallcool:

The Grue
2013-02-25, 04:21 AM
Is the Town Crier info on page one of City Streets kept up-to-date?

Togath
2013-02-25, 06:43 AM

lol.
I did have some plans, and he still partly has his original goal of "find more information about a legendary pomegranate which he intends to turn into a meat maranade", from there he decided he needed funds, and finding selling kabobs of assorted meat a bit boring he decided to try to rob what is either a sect of paladins, or a medieval mafia.:smallbiggrin:

SillyAsFun
2013-02-25, 11:00 AM

lol.
I did have some plans, and he still partly has his original goal of "find more information about a legendary pomegranate which he intends to turn into a meat maranade", from there he decided he needed funds, and finding selling kabobs of assorted meat a bit boring he decided to try to rob what is either a sect of paladins, or a medieval mafia.:smallbiggrin:

I'm not sure how much I really agree with the whole stealing stuff and being a good con artist thing, but it at least sounds fun. :smallredface:

Is the Town Crier info on page one of City Streets kept up-to-date?

I'm curious about this. I may need to hire the swordsman depending on how things go.

Rizban
2013-02-25, 12:55 PM
Yes, it is up to date.

Noctemwolf
2013-02-25, 02:32 PM
Just posting up here to say hi and let you all know I've ended up in Aldhaven for who knows how long! :smalltongue:

planswalker
2013-02-25, 11:04 PM
A lot longer if you stay out of my docks at night...

Anyways, welcome to the game!

Aldurin
2013-02-26, 02:32 AM
A lot longer if you stay out of my docks at night...

I'm just glad that the Inn there doesn't count . . . at least for my first use of it it seems.

planswalker
2013-02-26, 09:15 AM
MOST buildings are safe... That's how the people who live in the docks manage to survive.

most of them.

Moranica
2013-02-26, 10:20 AM
I should really work on making Old Town the new docks. I'm sure the friendly vibe of it's name should attract countless easy prey.

SillyAsFun
2013-02-26, 06:40 PM
Togath, something that just occurred to me. Why don't you do the beaver hunting quest? You can sell the pelts to the guard and cook the beaver meat to sell off. It's money and cooking experience in one while making your character liked by the city.

The quest was made for you / your character.

Actually, is anyone else considering doing the beaver quest?

Are you uncomfortable with the idea of a team up? :smallsmile:

Rizban
2013-02-26, 09:24 PM
My personal character, kalirren's, and one other person's (I forget who at the moment) have all started the beaver quest recently. My character was just doing it as a way to pass the time in game, because he was bored on his first day in town with nothing to do until his scheduled meeting the next morning.

However, he'd probably be willing to team up with someone in it.

Monodominant
2013-02-27, 10:13 AM
I have returned from my vacation in Seychelles (and want to go back...) and will be posting on all my players.

On other news on Friday I am starting at a new job so until I get 'used' to it my posting will be slower... need to see how much free time I have etc. I will still be posting on afternoons after work but I might be posting less during work hours (shocker I know! I will actually have to work during work!)

Kalirren
2013-02-27, 01:47 PM
Yep. My character's also been out on the river, and is going into a networking phase. I'd be open to a meetup.

Jeriah
2013-02-27, 07:18 PM
I have not been out on the river, but I am looking for a team up.

Rizban
2013-02-27, 08:24 PM
You know what's always bothered me about druids? They're supposed to be guardians of nature. They can't wear metal because of this, but they can slaughter animals and cut down trees to make their gear. How does that work?

bobthe6th
2013-02-27, 08:49 PM
because secretly they are protecting nature... so they can kill it themselves!

They cast spells to bring creatures out of their natural setting, warp plants and animals into unnatural shapes, and summon blue sky lightning.

I never really understood them.

SillyAsFun
2013-02-27, 09:19 PM
The more I think about it, the more I realize you probably need a lot of ranks in swim to do the beaver mission and come out alive. :smalleek:

I have not been out on the river, but I am looking for a team up.

Do you have a a particular kind of partner or general theme you'd like?

I haven't even begun to aim towards my actual "character goal" yet (still in the city streets topic). But the main aim I have in mind so far is to learn/a religious theme. Not sure how well that sits with your own goals, but I'm open to splitting time 50-50 if it potentially does. But this depends on what you feel happy with; the others are already doing a more actiony dangerous mission, so that might suit you more than mine. What do you like? :smallsmile:

You know what's always bothered me about druids? They're supposed to be guardians of nature. They can't wear metal because of this, but they can slaughter animals and cut down trees to make their gear. How does that work?

From a role playing position, is it down down to the cycle of life? They're normally human/elf/some kind of mammal, so they need shelter and food like any other animal, so they're allowed to hunt animals for clothing and food, and a maybe cut a few trees to make shelter (is there really no better way to make shelter for a druid?), but always with the bare basic understanding that they always respect the balance of their environment, and never actually overindulge intentionally. I'm assuming for whatever they take from the forest, these people are also smart enough to replenish it by growing more trees (with or without magic) and staying mindful of how big animal herds are. Also they have magic to make food (I think, not sure).

I'm guessing all of this. I've never played a druid. Or most classes.

planswalker
2013-02-27, 10:25 PM

at least it's not the fluff for why HEALERS can't wear metal...

Togath
2013-02-27, 10:34 PM
I might try the beavers some time, once I finish getting him to freedom(he's currently trying to convince his barrister to either collect earning from the room next to his real room or get the barrister to trust him long enough to knock him out and see if he can get enough supplies to escape... unless you think a barrister would be willing to accept payment in the form of doing jobs for the barrister, which would be a lot easier than the other two options)

Rizban
2013-02-27, 10:36 PM
at least it's not the fluff for why HEALERS can't wear metal...Taking an oath to keep oneself more vulnerable is silly, yes, but it makes more sense to me than "Wearing metal makes the forest sad."

planswalker
2013-02-27, 10:40 PM
Taking an oath to keep oneself more vulnerable is silly, yes, but it makes more sense to me than "Wearing metal makes the forest sad."

I don't know, healers taking an oath that they'll kill animals to keep themselves more vulnerable sounds even more silly to me than "I love nature so much I swear to always wear it!"

Rizban
2013-02-27, 10:45 PM
Unless you take the position that the book does, saying healers only lose their abilities if they wear metal or refuse to heal "an ally or a good-aligned creature." They are unconcerned with the natural world and are concerned only with healing the wounds of their allies and intelligent, good-aligned creatures they meet. Most of the natural world is true neutral and therefore outside of a healer's purview.

Togath
2013-02-27, 10:49 PM
Unless you take the position that the book does, saying healers only lose their abilities if they wear metal or refuse to heal "an ally or a good-aligned creature." They are unconcerned with the natural world and are concerned only with healing the wounds of their allies and intelligent, good-aligned creatures they meet. Most of the natural world is true neutral and therefore outside of a healer's purview.

He meant druids vs. the healer class.
and any sort of "oath" for a class has also seemed pointless(hence why I always house rule them out alogn with alignment in games I run)

Rizban
2013-02-27, 10:56 PM
He meant druids vs. the healer class.
and any sort of "oath" for a class has also seemed pointless(hence why I always house rule them out alogn with alignment in games I run)I'm fully aware that he meant the Healer class. That is exactly the class of which I am speaking.

Togath
2013-02-27, 11:24 PM
I'm fully aware that he meant the Healer class. That is exactly the class of which I am speaking.

Ah.
But still, you do have to admit the healer's and druid's oaths seem a bit weird; "make yourself easier to kill(for the healer)" and "don't wear natural things unless they were once alive(for the druid)"

Rizban
2013-02-27, 11:31 PM
Why, yes, I did say it was silly (see my earlier post). I simply said it makes more sense to take an oath to be vulnerable so you can empathize with the vulnerability of others than it does to lose your abilities because metal makes the forest sad.

The Grue
2013-02-27, 11:45 PM
Dunno about healers, but lore stuffs ain't the only thing wrong with the Druid class.

I'd rate it right up there with Wizard for "most potential to break the game". Heck, I've got a Druid in my RL group who isn't even trying to powergame, or fully understand all of the class abilities for that matter, and consistently overshadows the rest of the party.

bobthe6th
2013-02-27, 11:54 PM
I just wish they took off a hunk of the druid and ducktapped it onto the ranger. Can you imagine a ranger with full animal companion?

Rizban
2013-02-28, 04:05 AM
I'll just leave this here: Rizban's E6 Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273643)

Kalirren
2013-02-28, 10:23 AM
I think the key to playing a sensible druid, especially in a urban setting like Aldhaven, is to realize what druids actually do. They're priests, fundamentally. They aren't protecting "nature". Until very recently in human history, nature hasn't -needed- protection, and this is doubly true in most D&D-esque fantasy. In a world where ideas, silly figments of imagination, can be personified into deities and these deities can grant world-changing power, so can actual natural forces. Druids exist because natural forces are just as important and relevant as supernatural ones are.

What druids actually do is protect and preserve the relationship that civilization has -with- the wilderness. Disputes over the character of this relationship form the central divide that separates druids of different alignments. A close and well-regulated (Lawful) relationship results in a managed landscape. A separatist relationship (Chaotic) results in the presence of both extremes, of pure wilderness and of pure urbanization. Good druids stress the convergence of interests between people and the environment in which they live, and Evil druids stress the conflict of interest between them.

This is why druids have to be some flavor of neutral. Holding an extreme alignment in the above debate (LE, CE, LG, CG) means that you have ceased to revere nature, because all four extreme alignments constitute a unilateral philosophy regarding nature. ("Nature should be managed/sequestered because (it's good/bad for people.)//(people are good/bad for it.)")

No opinion on the metal thing, though. If I can make metal traps to catch game with, why should I be barred from wearing a metal suit if I so choose? (Whether I would choose to, even if I could, is a different matter, of course.)

The Grue
2013-03-03, 04:09 AM
I'll just leave this here: Rizban's E6 Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273643)

Funny, the GM for my RL group just today mentioned that he wanted to do E6 for the next campaign he ran.

I may have passed him that link.

Rizban
2013-03-03, 04:39 AM
It's definitely still a work in progress. Would love some comments and evaluation and suggestions...

bobthe6th
2013-03-06, 06:21 PM
Ok, not sure how to run this...

264 lb character invisibly drops from 50ft onto a target. How much damage does he take? Does he need to make an attack roll? how much damage does he deal?

Rizban
2013-03-06, 07:21 PM
After going back and reading over the rules more comprehensively, I've come to the following logical conclusions.

1. Characters are not objects.
2. Characters take falling damage.
3. Objects deal falling damage.

For this one specific instance, I will define an object as anything which has a hardness. Therefore, if your character by some miracle has a hardness rating, it can deal falling damage; however, by virtue of still being a character it will also take falling damage. The only way your character will not take falling damage from a height is if it is purely an object, i.e. dead.

To answer your specific questions:
Ok, not sure how to run this...

264 lb character invisibly drops from 50ft onto a target. How much damage does he take?5d6, give or take.
5d6 lethal if the fall was an accident.
4d6 lethal + 1d6 nonlethal if he jumped intentionally
Xd6 lethal + 1d6 nonlethal where X is 4 minus reductions from Jump and Tumble checks; however, I would also rule that intentionally jumping onto another character precludes the use of the Tumble skill.

Does he need to make an attack roll?That depends on what he's trying to do. If he's simply jumping into the square, then no. However, the target does get an AoO for the character entering his square if he is aware of the other character.
If you are attempting a grapple, overrun, trip, etc., then, yes, you will have to make a roll. If you're trying to knock the person to the ground, I would rule that it is an overrun attempt rather than a trip attempt, despite not continuing movement afterward.
If you are simply attacking, you will, obviously, need to make an attack roll.

how much damage does he deal?Whatever is standard damage for your character. Falling damage hurts you, not what you landed on. Perhaps that's silly from a physics perspective, but it seems to be the way the rules are written.

Additionally, there are three feats and one class ability of which I am aware just off the top of my head that increase damage based on falling onto a target. Simply falling without one of these does not confer any additional benefit. You are simply falling.

bobthe6th
2013-03-06, 07:27 PM
Really? that seems wierd... and I mean you could argue the characters stuff should at least deal damage.

This modifies my plan significantly.

Rizban
2013-03-06, 07:29 PM
Really? that seems wierd... and I mean you could argue the characters stuff should at least deal damage.

This modifies my plan significantly.

If he were to drop the object, then, yes, it would do damage. From 50 ft up, the object must weigh at least 11lbs. to deal damage, in which case it would deal 1d6 lethal damage from a height of 50ft. It would also require an attack roll to hit the target.

The Grue
2013-03-06, 07:47 PM
Good question!

I tried to do the Assassin's Creed thing in a Pathfinder campaign once, and the GM ruled that the attacker would take falling damage as normal, and the target would take equal damage in addition to the actual attack.

Don't know how the actual attack would have worked though, since I didn't go through with it. If I had to make a ruling, I'd consider it a touch attack I guess.

EDIT: Not clicking refresh before posting, like a boss. Riz's explaination also makes sense, especially in the context of 3.5. I don't believe the feats he refers to are present in Pathfinder.

The Grue
2013-03-06, 08:10 PM
Reading Riz's post more closely:

Armour has a hardness rating. Does it lose that hardness rating when a character equips it? A character wearing full plate does no falling damage to someone he lands on, but if he takes off the armour and drops it he does damage that way? Not that I think anyone would actually do this, I just have this hilarious mental image of a bunch of knights atop a castle wall disrobing and throwing their armour at an army below.

Here's a more practical one though: Bolts and arrows have hardness. As long as an archer is more than 10ft directly above their target, it's always more damage efficient to drop them rather than use their (cross)bow?

Rizban
2013-03-06, 08:15 PM
Per the way the system handles things, objects worn/held by a character don't count as individual objects unless specifically targeted. It's quirky, but, the rules basically state that wearing full plate doesn't damage someone you land on but dropping empty full plate does.

Dropping bolts/arrows may seem like it would be more damage efficient, but you have to deal with the weight to distance rules as presented in the DMG. For a falling object to deal falling damage, it must fall X feet to reach a damaging velocity before it deals any damage at all. Objects that weigh 1lb. must fall 70 feet before they deal the first 1d6 of damage, though they do add an additional 1d6 damage per 10ft past that until they reach the damage cap of 20d6.

Arrows and bolts weigh less than 1 lb each. So, merely dropping one on a target from any height will never deal damage to the target.

Edit: A suit of full plate would have to fall 40 feet before it dealt the first 1d6 of damage to a target. You'd have to be a minimum of 230 feet above them to drop a suit of full plate and have it deal 20d6 damage...

For those of you wondering where I'm getting these numbers, refer to page 303 in the DMG or check the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#falling).

bobthe6th
2013-03-06, 08:25 PM
I did look it up, and got really confused. It kinda made sense, but wasn't sure if you rounded up, or what was going on.

Rizban
2013-03-06, 09:01 PM
Got confused about what?
Round what?

Kalirren
2013-03-07, 12:15 AM
Wow...those are some really wacko rules...

Incidentally, I'll be spending time with a friend out of town so don't expect replies from me until Monday or so.

Rizban
2013-03-07, 12:20 AM
The rules are odd, I agree, but they do make sense in some way. They leave odd "what if" situations, but it does prevent some silly rules abuses, such as dropping pebbles off a building and having them deal multiple d6s of damage from falling rules or trying to "dig a hole" by dealing damage to the ground by dropping goblins off a cliff...

Edit: Thanks for the notification! I always appreciate when players let me know they'll be away instead of just having to guess whether or not they've dropped.

bobthe6th
2013-03-07, 12:23 AM
trying to "dig a hole" by dealing damage to the ground by dropping goblins off a cliff....

Which you could do if you first kill the goblins.

Rizban
2013-03-07, 12:27 AM
Which you could do if you first kill the goblins.Where is the fun in that?

bobthe6th
2013-03-07, 12:38 AM
Where is the fun in that?

though if you pile the bodies deep enough, will you take no falling damage for landing on them?

planswalker
2013-03-07, 12:40 AM
Wouldn't it be more entertaining to just gut them and tie their intestines together into a rope to scale down?

Rizban
2013-03-07, 03:04 AM
Thank you, plans, for taking it one gut wrenching step further...

Thundercracker
2013-03-07, 03:18 AM
How common are spellcasters in Aldhaven? How do commoners react to seeing magic?

I've only been playing a few days, but it seems magic is fairly common. If it's common, are there typically restrictions on casting offensive magic in a city? What about summoning creatures? Are certain spell components and magical supplies regulated?

Aldurin
2013-03-07, 03:26 AM
Magic is pretty heavily feared in Aldhaven. It's to the point where commoners will set you on fire if you don't speak in Common, since for all they know you're using verbal components for a spell. Also children don't play with sticks for fear that they might accidentally find and activate a wand. It's pretty nuts.

At least it would be like that if my character had his way when he tries to get stuff done in public.

Togath
2013-03-07, 03:53 AM
Just wanted to let Rizban know I'm still here, I've just been busy.
I should be able to get a post up in my thread tonight:smallsmile:

planswalker
2013-03-07, 09:31 AM
How common are spellcasters in Aldhaven? How do commoners react to seeing magic?

I've only been playing a few days, but it seems magic is fairly common. If it's common, are there typically restrictions on casting offensive magic in a city? What about summoning creatures? Are certain spell components and magical supplies regulated?

Mages are not a common sight in the city at large, but there is an entire section of the city devoted to magic-users. It's called the Mage's Quarter, and includes the Aldhaven Royal University of Scientific Esoterica. Magical shenanigans are common enough that elite city guard units have anti-mage measures they can take. Most major organizations will have at least a handful of mages near the top to make things easier for them.

In short, most commoners are aware enough of magic to not freak out at a magic missile spell. Necromancy is strictly forbidden within city limits, and if you start tossing around spells and causing random destruction, you will be hunted down and likely killed if you resist. If you don't then they'll arrest you and likely lock you up in an anti-magic cell. Beyond that, there are few restrictions per se.

The Grue
2013-03-12, 06:39 AM
What happened to my new business partner?

Togath
2013-03-12, 08:59 AM
Mages are not a common sight in the city at large, but there is an entire section of the city devoted to magic-users. It's called the Mage's Quarter, and includes the Aldhaven Royal University of Scientific Esoterica. Magical shenanigans are common enough that elite city guard units have anti-mage measures they can take. Most major organizations will have at least a handful of mages near the top to make things easier for them.

In short, most commoners are aware enough of magic to not freak out at a magic missile spell. Necromancy is strictly forbidden within city limits, and if you start tossing around spells and causing random destruction, you will be hunted down and likely killed if you resist. If you don't then they'll arrest you and likely lock you up in an anti-magic cell. Beyond that, there are few restrictions per se.

What does using fire breath granted by magic to cook food as a gimic to attract customers count as :D

Noctemwolf
2013-03-12, 03:26 PM
What happened to my new business partner?

I came down with a case of Airplanephillia. 0-0*

Sorry mate, I'm back! And just posted too!

The Grue
2013-03-12, 05:53 PM
I came down with a case of Airplanephillia.

Hey, well, whatever floats your boat man, different strokes for different folks etc...

hustlertwo
2013-03-12, 08:47 PM
Hey, well, whatever floats your boat man, different strokes for different folks etc...

Says you. He gave me a mental image I'd rather not dwell upon further.

The Grue
2013-03-12, 09:32 PM
Fun with random encounter generators:

http://onebit.us/x/i/jJhmardf1p.png

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 11:05 PM
Just gonna drop a link to a class that feels aldhavenish...
Black knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275544)

In the process of cleaning up the original class I found, and trying to modify it up to duskblade levels of power... So, hopefully something Riz might like.

Rizban
2013-03-13, 11:12 PM
I've seen that class before. I'm really not keen on allowing homebrew. The only homebrew I've allowed so far is the slight variant on the Thri-kreen that I made and have play tested several times and the replacements planswalker and I made for the banned lesser planetouched.

The only other homebrew I'm willing to even consider has to be completed and have been play tested rather thoroughly. I won't even consider a project that's still being actively developed, and certainly not if it's the homebrew's creator who is requesting it. It's too easy and too tempting to make minor, or even major, changes to the homebrew after I approve it to give yourself a power boost. I really don't feel like rechecking and retesting a homebrew to approve it again after every edit.

bobthe6th
2013-03-13, 11:31 PM
Oh, yeah, I get that luckily I didn't make it. I found it on a dead forum game, and am throwing it to the playground to see what can be done with it. right now I just finished a tentative overhaul to make it better, and smooth out the weirder abilities. I won't even request it for probably a few months to a year(or until my current character is dead... hope he lasts longer then that), after I have run it by the entire forums, playtested it, thrown it up on minmax, and got all my finger prints off it.

When it is done, I hope it to be a worthwhile addition on its own merits...

I was just throwing up a link here to possibly attract your attention, or any of the other AVB players, as it is so far gotten little attention and feels like it would fit in with the setting...

The Grue
2013-03-15, 06:20 PM
Question for Riz:

If two characters are planning stuffs in a private thread, can the involved players conduct planning OOC for the sake of expediency and take it as read that the same is occurring in-character?

Also apologies to Noctem, whom I bugged for going quiet and then promptly went quiet myself for a few days.

Rizban
2013-03-15, 06:22 PM
Question for Riz:

If two characters are planning stuffs in a private thread, can the involved players conduct planning OOC for the sake of expediency and take it as read that the same is occurring in-character?

Also apologies to Noctem, whom I bugged for going quiet and then promptly went quiet myself for a few days.

Yeah, that's fine.

omnitricks
2013-03-16, 01:52 AM
Riz did you get the PM you asked for or do I have to send it again?

Moranica
2013-03-21, 05:31 AM
Sweet!! So excited and scared. Heading into a BATTLE ROYAL in a couple of posts.

Monodominant
2013-03-21, 05:39 AM
Dont blame me if you catch a stray disintegrate ray... or two.

Moranica
2013-03-21, 07:32 AM
I know, that's why I have this ring, and refuse to use the sustenance one. :smallbiggrin:

bobthe6th
2013-03-24, 09:53 PM
Ok, so could thinaun(CW 136) be used as a way to get resurrections after a few rounds? It is a special material that explicitly traps the soul of those in contact with it... It is expensive(10k for a light weapon), and it only holds the latest soul, but still would be interesting.

Rizban
2013-03-25, 10:59 AM
Thinaun works as printed.

Spells

Resurrection spells don't exist, with the exception of revivify and similar spells that must be cast within 1 round of death.

It does not override that.

Moranica
2013-03-25, 03:09 PM
This is why Scribly has people undress before killing them.

The Grue
2013-03-28, 07:48 PM
Are you sure that's the only reason?

Rizban
2013-03-31, 12:59 AM
I apologize for the lack of posting and just disappearing without word. My grandmother is very ill and has recently undergone major brain surgery. She is currently not doing well and suffering from repeated seizures. I probably will not be posting for awhile until things are more... 'normal.'

Thundercracker
2013-03-31, 03:57 AM
I apologize for the lack of posting and just disappearing without word. My grandmother is very ill and has recently undergone major brain surgery. She is currently not doing well and suffering from repeated seizures. I probably will not be posting for awhile until things are more... 'normal.'

Take your time man, hope she gets better soon.

Monodominant
2013-04-02, 04:51 AM
Take your time and hope everything turns out fine.

Also Moranica is just causing some serious waves I need to PM you about. I think I will have to DM Fiat kill his character to stop him... or you know just for fun :D

Kidding aside I do enjoy it when PCs have an impact in the city that can/might be felt by other PCs as well! Its gives meaning to the whole open for everyone sandbox thingy :D

On another note... I am also happy that yet another PC joined the Guard! It gives opportunities for great roleplay and few of my older longstanding players that were guardsmen had eventually dropped so its good to get to use the plothooks I had prepared etc...

Moranica
2013-04-02, 07:05 AM
Oh dear, that big, huh? I suppose it depends on word getting out. Then again, with the ways things are now, it probably already has.

Now if I were to join a certain guardsman, would you let me live?

Togath
2013-04-02, 01:47 PM

No problem, it's understandable

Rizban
2013-04-02, 10:34 PM
Nine hours from right now (7:30AM CDT), my grandmother will be undergoing major surgery again to try to stop the bleeding in her brain which the doctors believe is the cause of the uncontrolled seizures.

Kalirren
2013-04-03, 12:00 AM
Here's for the best.

TheDivineWind
2013-04-04, 09:55 PM
On another note... I am also happy that yet another PC joined the Guard! It gives opportunities for great roleplay and few of my older longstanding players that were guardsmen had eventually dropped so its good to get to use the plothooks I had prepared etc...

Oh my~ There are other players that have joined the guard? Maybe I'll find them someday~ :smallbiggrin:

Riz: Considering how this game often plays out... May the minor details be ever in your favor~

bobthe6th
2013-04-04, 10:40 PM
Oh my~ There are other players that have joined the guard? Maybe I'll find them someday~ :smallbiggrin:

Currently looking for a boot... sigh, the things I have to put up with. Though nearly killing a fellow tranie was very carthritic.

Monodominant
2013-04-05, 02:26 AM
The boot exercise is a very important one. Many guardsmen have to go through with it...

planswalker
2013-04-07, 08:38 PM
Is that the one I pulled from my butt for Perry?

Monodominant
2013-04-09, 02:54 AM
More or less :D

I liked the idea and the fact that its just a boot doesnt mean its no less important! Its a nice exercise for anyone that wants to be corporal and above :D

planswalker
2013-04-09, 06:37 AM
Glad to know SOMEONE liked it. :smalltongue:

I know Lokio certainly didn't.

TheDivineWind
2013-04-14, 09:59 AM
Really? When he put me through it, he actually helped me learn a lot about how to do melee combat a lot more efficiently and it's really payed off. I loved boot.

Monodominant
2013-04-15, 07:58 AM
Lantern archons kick butt!

Seriously MVP in a fight of high level things... high defense, high attack all around, miss chances and all that...

But the little archon, round after round, d6 after d6 eats away the HP of the evil mastermind...

Rizban
2013-04-15, 02:10 PM
And if they take class levels in something like rogue that adds precision damage, they can be truly nasty little buggers.

Moranica
2013-04-15, 03:34 PM
Yes, I can officially say that I truly and utterly dislike them.

I just love how in every battle I get put through, it comes down to the little things that make a difference.

TheDivineWind
2013-04-15, 08:10 PM
As I said before... In Aldhaven, it's all about the little details. :smallamused:

bobthe6th
2013-04-22, 05:23 PM
teleporting out a window... not how I thought this investigation was going to go.

also, Rizban... I saw you said in the compendium you would like to swich A:VB, but didn't want to disrupt ongoing games. Have you thought about slowly phasing the change in? i.e. from some point on, all new characters are E6, but existing characters can go on as normal?

Monodominant
2013-04-29, 01:50 AM
Howdy.

And we are back on!

bobthe6th
2013-04-29, 01:52 AM
It is true.

Rizban
2013-04-29, 03:04 AM
teleporting out a window... not how I thought this investigation was going to go.

also, Rizban... I saw you said in the compendium you would like to swich A:VB, but didn't want to disrupt ongoing games. Have you thought about slowly phasing the change in? i.e. from some point on, all new characters are E6, but existing characters can go on as normal?

I said that I don't intend to switch this version of the game to E6. If I do an E6 variant, it won't be in this format. I would probably do an E6 team running in their own version of Aldhaven separate from this one. I don't know that I'm going to do that or not yet though.

Thundercracker
2013-04-29, 06:25 AM
Huzzah. I'm ready to continue my character's story at your convienience, Rizban, now that the forum is back.

Moranica
2013-04-29, 06:32 AM
Sweet!! Back. ... more or less. Won't have regular access since our moving was delayed by two weeks, and our internet decided to move regardless.

planswalker
2013-04-29, 09:09 PM
well, it's back.

Am I the only one who missed the crayon-drawn front page a little when I saw the site was back up? (not that I'm not grateful for the site to be back)

Kalirren
2013-04-29, 09:16 PM
Yay! Glad to be back!

Rizban
2013-04-29, 09:29 PM
well, it's back.

Am I the only one who missed the crayon-drawn front page a little when I saw the site was back up? (not that I'm not grateful for the site to be back)

Yeah, the crayon drawing was great.

Thundercracker
2013-05-05, 09:48 AM
Yeah, the crayon drawing was great.

It's been six weeks since there's been an IC update for my character. I don't mind waiting if you're busy, but I would ask at this point whether I should (wait), or if I should drop him.

Thanks.

Rizban
2013-05-05, 01:57 PM
Sorry about that. I somehow lost the subscription to your character. Can you PM me with a link?

TheDivineWind
2013-05-08, 04:16 PM
Hey Riz, is Hagan still kicking? I just wanted to confirm before I went elsewhere. I've PM'ed you some information as well, relevent to my post.

Rizban
2013-05-27, 07:51 PM
Announcement!

Today marks the three year anniversary of the birth of AVB. It's been a long, exciting, and often difficult road to walk. I remember back when we had over 50+ active players and multiple DMs running this game, and I worked mostly just trying to coordinate everything while running only a few players myself. It's really been an interesting three years and been a significant part of my life as a gamer.

Unfortunately, I have to end things here. I no longer have the time, energy, or dedication to keep this project running as it needs to be run. It has been fun for the most part, but as time went forward, it became more like a second job, one for which I wasn't paid, than a game I enjoyed. We scaled things back and cut down on both players and DMs, which helped for quite awhile. Aldhaven has just reached the end of its life.

I regret that some of you who have waited patiently on the list never made it into the game, I really do. This has been a decision that has long been in the making, and I considered several other options before coming to this decision. Any currently active DMs and players may continue with their ongoing stories as long as the people involved wish to continue, but there will be no new characters starting in AVB.

I'd request that Aldhaven end here and ask that people not use the characters (PC and NPC), locations, plots, stories, and everything else created by myself and others over the years without asking permission first. While I usually won't mind people using elements of this setting, I really don't want to see clones of this game popping up across the forum. Aldhaven was special to me and many others, and I really don't want to see that ruined by imitators. Thank you for understanding.

planswalker
2013-05-27, 08:17 PM
*Salutes*

So long, AVB. It's been one hell of a crazy ride.

Noctemwolf
2013-05-27, 09:17 PM
Well shoot. My character barely started in. 0-0

Oh well. All's good, I suppose.

Togath
2013-05-27, 09:50 PM
darn.. good luck on future campaigns, Riz:smallsmile:

Rizban
2013-05-28, 12:48 AM
Anyone interested in joining my next game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285606) is free to come by and apply.

Aldurin
2013-05-28, 01:06 AM
Sad to see this end, it's been by and far my favorite game to occur on this forum and the unique take on it made it spectacular.

At the very least what I can do is give Aldhaven the ending it deserves by actually ending the city itself, albeit a few characters ahead of schedule.

Kalirren
2013-05-28, 02:55 PM
It's sad to see a project like Aldhaven suffer its single point of failure. Looking forward to playing with you in other games, Rizban. I like your moderation.

Monodominant
2013-05-30, 02:47 AM
For my players I will be continuing.

Sad to see this time around we couldnt make it stick even longer but what can you.

So yea for those of you that are still interested and have threads I am running we will be going on. This off course reduces the opportunities you will have to interact with other PCs but as far as I am concerned thats still ok. Via AvB I learned to love soloing, especially on pbp format where multi-people threads get horribly bogged down.

I will still implement what other players are doing cross thread so even though it will be uncommon you will still see the impact of others.

As a head count I am currently running:

Little Green (Planswalker)
Glim (Divine Wind)
James (Bob the 6th)
Scribly (Moranica)
Almerax (Zweanslord)
Gregor (Sir Chivalry)

and playing Ishmael run by Planswalker.

Aldurin
2013-05-30, 02:51 AM
I will still implement what other players are doing cross thread so even though it will be uncommon you will still see the impact of others.

Still collaborating with Planswalker and Hustlertwo in this aspect, too?

Monodominant
2013-05-30, 03:03 AM
Well Plans is just running me and Hustler but I do believe so... I mean... what I do impacts Hustler for sure and what Hustler does impacts me...

Are you being run by either of them?

Aldurin
2013-05-30, 03:06 AM
Well Plans is just running me and Hustler but I do believe so... I mean... what I do impacts Hustler for sure and what Hustler does impacts me...

Are you being run by either of them?

I'm being run by Hustler and there are some . . . minor . . . impacts on the overall climate of the city.

planswalker
2013-05-30, 05:21 AM
I'm being run by Hustler and there are some . . . minor . . . impacts on the overall climate of the city.

you could call them minor. Roll a bluff check for that.

Hustlertwo has kept me in the loop of your shenanigans, and it WILL impact certain aspects of my two pc's (just Mono and Hustler)

Aldurin
2013-05-30, 09:55 PM
you could call them minor. Roll a bluff check for that.

Hustlertwo has kept me in the loop of your shenanigans, and it WILL impact certain aspects of my two pc's (just Mono and Hustler)

Well, from what I've gathered of the legendary player-killer of the docks, that should be a big deal for Mono's character.

Moranica
2013-06-05, 02:22 PM
So, I found Malakai snooping around on the forums. Now what I do?

Call out thread necro? :smallcool:

Monodominant
2013-06-05, 02:25 PM
There is a forum poster by the name Malakai?

Wow!

Moranica
2013-06-05, 02:35 PM
Yes, he actually openend a thread! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286547)

Monodominant
2013-06-05, 02:50 PM
Check if he has Green blood!

hustlertwo
2013-06-08, 09:25 PM
Legendary player-killer? The most legendary PC murderer would actually be Riz himself. Hagan has greased...what, four or five people? More?

I am currently running just two people, Aldurin and Eshkigal. I am sorry I couldn't take on more since only threads currently going are able to continue, but newly married and a baby on the way is not a recipe for heavy DMing.

bobthe6th
2013-06-08, 09:31 PM
would running already approved characters as second generation when one dies still be cool? or has death gotten even more final(I mean, it was really final to begin with, but ending the game just makes it scarier.)

Like alfonso 1-4.

Aldurin
2013-06-08, 10:32 PM
Legendary player-killer? The most legendary PC murderer would actually be Riz himself. Hagan has greased...what, four or five people? More?

I'm still trying to figure out just what he built, since given the biggest hint of insta-gibbing pedestrians during his journey into the docks, I'm trying to figure out if there's more than just Practiced Spellcaster Wild Mage Sorcerer nuking with Wings of Flurry that can do that.

hustlertwo
2013-06-08, 11:33 PM
I think Hagan was a psionic, actually. But without going to look at his sheet I couldn't say for sure, and more to the point I wouldn't anyhow. Even after the game ending, builds get privacy unless the person chooses to divulge the details.

Bob, it may be up to your DM, or Riz may just prefer to have death be truly final now in the last stages of the game.

Aldurin
2013-06-08, 11:40 PM
or Riz may just prefer to have death be truly final now in the last stages of the game.

And when the dust of the fallen city finally settles, the bodies of the others, the skulks, hobgoblins and humans, the optimized and unoptimized, will serve as the hill that the goblin truenamer will stand triumphantly upon.

planswalker
2013-06-08, 11:54 PM
would running already approved characters as second generation when one dies still be cool? or has death gotten even more final(I mean, it was really final to begin with, but ending the game just makes it scarier.)

Like alfonso 1-4.

I would say death has become very final.

I'm still trying to figure out just what he built, since given the biggest hint of insta-gibbing pedestrians during his journey into the docks, I'm trying to figure out if there's more than just Practiced Spellcaster Wild Mage Sorcerer nuking with Wings of Flurry that can do that.

oh, as his dm who got to look over his character sheet whenever I wanted, I can empirically say that there was much more to him than that. He was short one stupid-broken feat from Drag Mag re-creating one of the most powerful non-infinite builds I've ever seen. There's a reason Drag Mag was universally banned and then spot exceptions would be looked at. Three out of four of those were rejected as well.

I think Hagan was a psionic, actually. But without going to look at his sheet I couldn't say for sure, and more to the point I wouldn't anyhow. Even after the game ending, builds get privacy unless the person chooses to divulge the details.

Something to keep in mind: what did his character do for a living?

And when the dust of the fallen city finally settles, the bodies of the others, the skulks, hobgoblins and humans, the optimized and unoptimized, will serve as the hill that the goblin truenamer will stand triumphantly upon.

*Just in time for the dragonblood halfling to break his invisibility while hovering just above by unleashing his fivefold breath of Tiamat on him*

Monodominant
2013-06-09, 04:23 AM
See? This is what happens!

I spend my time chasing the most Evil church in the city, dealing with Politics and we now have random people going around in the Docks uninterrupted.

Tsk tsk tsk... if only we were still getting new players I would go on a binge killing... as it is, its not nice to kill people who cant re-roll!

Plans I demand some fake PCs for me to kill!

planswalker
2013-06-09, 07:44 AM
Sure, just as soon as you actually bother to attack anyone in the Docks at night.

Rizban
2013-06-10, 11:15 AM
Legendary player-killer? The most legendary PC murderer would actually be Riz himself. Hagan has greased...what, four or five people? More?More, actually. People just kept attacking him. Had people come into his shop and attack him inside his own home. Not a very smart move at all.

Bob, it may be up to your DM, or Riz may just prefer to have death be truly final now in the last stages of the game.If you must know, it was a highly optimized build of Psionic Artificer with a focus on traps.

In fact, he built a remote activated bomb into almost every single item he crafted. Anyone who betrayed Hagan died horrible deaths as the items all had a psionic trigger in them designed to be activated when the bearer of the item attacked Hagan or when Hagan issued a mental command.

Ishmael suffered the effects of a lesser version of those bombs when he killed Hagan's good friend and ally. Ishmael is only lucky Hagan never learned who was responsible, or Ish would have been brutally murdered a long, long time ago.

Hagan's own items are massively trapped and keyed to his own health. If he were ever to die, every single item on his person would explode catastrophically, most likely vaporizing a couple of city blocks.

oh, as his dm who got to look over his character sheet whenever I wanted, I can empirically say that there was much more to him than that. He was short one stupid-broken feat from Drag Mag re-creating one of the most powerful non-infinite builds I've ever seen. There's a reason Drag Mag was universally banned and then spot exceptions would be looked at. Three out of four of those were rejected as well.Ah yes, there's nothing quite like having a caster level of 17 and being able to craft any 9th level spells you want and any items that require those spells starting at ECL 7. Crafting your own +5 tomes and as close to epic gear as you possibly can at ECL 7 is just fun. :smallbiggrin:

planswalker
2013-06-10, 11:26 AM
no, there's nothing quite like that at all...

Rizban
2013-06-10, 11:42 AM
Well, depending on your DM's interpretation of Dragonwrought Kobolds having age categories as a true dragon, thus gaining access to Epic feats at lower levels, you could combine the two for mostly reliable epic spellcasting by ECL 9...

Note that such an interpretation on Dragonwrought is NEVER allowed in my games, and I will not play in a game with such an interpretation being used.

Aldurin
2013-06-10, 01:07 PM
If you must know, it was a highly optimized build of Psionic Artificer with a focus on traps.

In fact, he built a remote activated bomb into almost every single item he crafted. Anyone who betrayed Hagan died horrible deaths as the items all had a psionic trigger in them designed to be activated when the bearer of the item attacked Hagan or when Hagan issued a mental command.

Ishmael suffered the effects of a lesser version of those bombs when he killed Hagan's good friend and ally. Ishmael is only lucky Hagan never learned who was responsible, or Ish would have been brutally murdered a long, long time ago.

Hagan's own items are massively trapped and keyed to his own health. If he were ever to die, every single item on his person would explode catastrophically, most likely vaporizing a couple of city blocks.

Ah yes, there's nothing quite like having a caster level of 17 and being able to craft any 9th level spells you want and any items that require those spells starting at ECL 7. Crafting your own +5 tomes and as close to epic gear as you possibly can at ECL 7 is just fun. :smallbiggrin:

But how did you amass the XP for crafting all of that, unless you also found some other break that made that a non-issue.

Monodominant
2013-06-10, 01:15 PM
He was buying items from other PCs and disenchanting them. That was his trick. He sold items cheaper and on store credit so naturally every PC who knew about this went to him for items... hence he got loads of XP from disenchanting all our 'crap', used some to craft what we wanted to buy and he used the rest for his own gear!

planswalker
2013-06-10, 02:17 PM
also do note that Hagain did not use the broken feat from drag mag which would have let him craft at cl 17 by level 7. This was a character from one of our RL games.

Rizban
2013-06-10, 04:23 PM
He was buying items from other PCs and disenchanting them. That was his trick. He sold items cheaper and on store credit so naturally every PC who knew about this went to him for items... hence he got loads of XP from disenchanting all our 'crap', used some to craft what we wanted to buy and he used the rest for his own gear!

Yep, that was one of my tricks. I also had crafting costs down to <20% normal and a way to craft multiple items simultaneously without having to actually be present for the work. That of course isn't the limit of Hagan's tricks either.

bobthe6th
2013-06-10, 05:50 PM
The homunculi, or something sneaky?

and traps are indeed terrifying. Is the character still up, or is he retired now with the end of the game?

Also, thank you mono. This is the first time I have hated a character as a person in a game that was not explicitly evil and have no option but to work with... and realized my character really needs him. :smallsmile: It is a great character design, thank you for running my game.

Rizban
2013-06-10, 10:02 PM
The homunculi, or something sneaky?

and traps are indeed terrifying. Is the character still up, or is he retired now with the end of the game?

Also, thank you mono. This is the first time I have hated a character as a person in a game that was not explicitly evil and have no option but to work with... and realized my character really needs him. :smallsmile: It is a great character design, thank you for running my game.

Not homunculii. Also, not telling. :smallwink:

The sheet is not public.

Monodominant
2013-06-11, 02:24 AM
I was one of the DMs and I also have not seen Hagan sheet I believe!

And you are welcome Bob! Its always good to know I ticked off a player... it has become a habit with Moranica's character. He hates half the NPCs he has to deal with on a daily basis! :D

planswalker
2013-06-11, 03:31 AM
Best I know, I am the only one besides Rizban to have seen his sheet.