PDA

View Full Version : Aldhaven Vicious Betrayals - OOC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rizban
2012-10-18, 02:18 PM
Aldhaven Vicious Betrayals Out of Character Thread

Some basic rules:
Do not reveal details about your PC to others.
Do not spread knowledge and results of your actions.
Rules questions are still best asked directly at your own thread.
You can share fun facts. You can discuss ideas and thoughts as long as you don't divulge knowledge learned in game that the other players can't legally know.
Don't try to push the rules or otherwise be intentionally obtuse.

Aldurin
2012-10-21, 12:02 AM
Since this isn't specified anywhere I was wondering whether in the main IC thread, are all mechanics and hidden actions held in the spoiler boxes? I just want to be sure, since I haven't looked in them in case that's what it is.

Rizban
2012-10-21, 12:25 AM
Basic rule of thumb is to not post anything in there you don't want other players to be able to see. There's no requirement for using spoiler tags on anything. It's left up to the player.

Morithias
2012-10-21, 01:41 PM
I HEAVILY apologize for coming in here, but I feel I owe an explanation for my edits in the main thread.

At first I had her say her average wages were 21
I forgot the +2 comp from my class, and +2 from the Merchant's outfit.

The merchant's outfit, is basically a semi-formal, semi-casual, outfit that is basically fluff for a masterwork tool. The circumstance bonus comes from the mark of a guild or in this case the temple of the merchant god.

I felt since I made the edits, I needed to explain this so no one thinks I was cheating.

Rizban
2012-10-21, 02:29 PM
I spotted the changes and didn't notice anything untoward going on. You're fine.

Morithias
2012-10-21, 02:32 PM
I spotted the changes and didn't notice anything untoward going on. You're fine.

Ironically I also missed another bonus, but we'll just say 25 cause it's a nice number that ends in 5. Maybe she's underpaid.

Thanks for being understanding. I better whip out a spreadsheet or something for my actual shop. I don't need to miscalculate my profit mod and end up on the streets with loan sharks down my throat.

Rizban
2012-10-21, 02:34 PM
anthropomorphic loan sharks at that.

Ulm11
2012-10-22, 11:20 AM
At a certain later point in the game, would anybody be willing to be part of an expedition to the docks at night just to see what actually lurks there?

Rizban
2012-10-22, 11:26 AM
Sure! I'm up for it!

Aldurin
2012-10-22, 11:28 AM
No, but if enough people die then the we can rack up some more IC clues as to what is there.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-22, 11:31 AM
I have some other plans first, then I'll roll some Gather Information to see how those guys in the obituries died. If it's not too imposing I'm up for it.

Morithias
2012-10-22, 01:17 PM
Sorry no. Not for me. However once I setup shop, feel free to drop by and make purchases. Also my next plan is to open a brewery so in a year or so, expect lots of nice fine rum and mead to enjoy in the tavern.

:)

Sorry for rejecting the docks thing, but this woman is a master/merchant prince she's not one for getting in danger if she can avoid it, and at night, the docks are dangerous.

She'll gladly fund anything to aid the city's needy though if she can afford it.

Rizban
2012-10-22, 01:20 PM
Actually, when I was running my own PC, I survived a night in the docks. Granted that we had a party of six people and only four of us survived. The other three have all since died as a result of that excursion, and my character is only still alive due to being highly paranoid and spending way too much money on protecting himself from the horrors that still seek his blood.

Morithias
2012-10-22, 02:05 PM
Actually, when I was running my own PC, I survived a night in the docks. Granted that we had a party of six people and only four of us survived. The other three have all since died as a result of that excursion, and my character is only still alive due to being highly paranoid and spending way too much money on protecting himself from the horrors that still seek his blood.

It is clear that the dock needs to be aided and repaired or something in that case. When I get the money I shall repair the dock and see it made safe for the city! Innocents much be protected!

Rizban
2012-10-22, 02:11 PM
Good luck.

Morithias
2012-10-22, 02:56 PM
Good luck.

Why do I feel like I just signed my own death warrant?

TheFallenOne
2012-10-22, 04:24 PM
It is clear that the dock needs to be aided and repaired or something in that case. When I get the money I shall repair the dock and see it made safe for the city! Innocents much be protected!

I have the feeling the better strategy would be to burn the place to the ground and start from scratch.

Rizban
2012-10-22, 04:47 PM
I have the feeling the better strategy would be to burn the place to the ground and start from scratch.

Good luck.

Morithias
2012-10-23, 09:44 PM
"Fell one"
"Fluctuating one"
"Fallen one"
"Financial one"

Gotta love DMs who do little things like that. It's little things like that that makes the campaign so much better.

Is there even a word for what he's doing? I want to say alliteration but I'm not sure if that's it.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-23, 09:58 PM
Alliterative theme naming perhaps. It's always The F One, the f word(no, not that one) linked to the personality/goals of the character I surmise. Well, except for mine of course as that one is taken from my username.

New challenge everyone: make a character that can't conceivably be described by any word beginning with the letter F :smalltongue:

Morithias
2012-10-23, 10:22 PM
Alliterative theme naming perhaps. It's always The F One, the f word(no, not that one) linked to the personality/goals of the character I surmise. Well, except for mine of course as that one is taken from my username.

New challenge everyone: make a character that can't conceivably be described by any word beginning with the letter F :smalltongue:

He is a man, who is weakened by words beginning with the letter f, in and out of character. Everytime someone says a word beginning with F, the player of the PC must put his hand to his head and scream. "NO NOT THAT NAUGHTY F WORDS!" 3 times.

Ulm11
2012-10-24, 12:03 AM
Of course this expedition would come at a later point when we are more capable of handling and or financing a trip into the docks.

I think a wizard obsessed with research might be able to escape the curse of being described with an F word. Of course this sentence sounds so dirty it was to be taken out of context.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 08:13 AM
You missed "Fuzzy" and "Frenzied." it started with The Fuzzy One, then TheFallenOne got approved with the second private thread, and the theme just seemed to fit. :smallwink:

Morithias
2012-10-24, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to place this, but considering the DM asked me a question I think I better post this before I start opening restaurants, taverns, and breweries and people start questioning where I'm getting all the ranks from since Profession is now trained only.

The Master class in "War of the Lance" has an ability called "Knack" and although most are quite weak, many can be used to great effect with the merchant princess or other skill based classes.

This is the knack I am referring to, a profession knack called "Jack of all trades" (not to be confused with the feat, this is a CLASS FEATURE).

"The master professional has learned how to apply his experience and savvy with one area of professional expertise in order to succeed in others. With this knack, he may substitute ranks in a Profession skill for ranks in another Profession skill in which he has no ranks. These may be substituted on a two for one basis for the purpose of making Profession checks. For example a master professional with 10 ranks in Profession (merchant) (irony), may attempt a Profession (innkeeper) check as if he had 5 ranks in that skill. Ability bonuses and other modifiers are applied as usual. Use of this knack does not confer synergy bonuses to other skills."

I am assuming (although it may be argued otherwise) that I can only substitute from 1 skill at a time. For example if I have 8 ranks in brewer, and 8 ranks in innkeeper, I can't trade all 16 ranks for 8 ranks in cooking.

Anyways, here is the detailed answer to how I knew law.

Rizban
2012-10-24, 01:10 PM
Also for clarification, I knew that when I approved the character, but with the work convention, food poisoning, crossing time zones, and checking threads from my phone while waiting for a ride, I didn't remember the ability's wording off the top of my head. :smalltongue:

Morithias
2012-10-24, 01:30 PM
Also for clarification, I knew that when I approved the character, but with the work convention, food poisoning, crossing time zones, and checking threads from my phone while waiting for a ride, I didn't remember the ability's wording off the top of my head. :smalltongue:

This is just as much for the other players, so they don't question how I'm suddenly trained in every profession under the sun and running a bakery, a farm, a shop, and a university all at once.

I'm 99% sure most people on this forum don't even know what the Master class is.

I hate cheating, and giving the impression of cheating itself can cause fights and such, and when you're a merchant princess you can open a store for cheap, and suddenly it magically become a big thing bringing in insane amounts of cash in a mere month.

Plus this is a sandbox campaign. I think you said there was only one Tavern in the plaza. So it's likely that our paths are going to cross when they go to check out the new place's drink, or that little store that wasn't there yesterday, etc.

Unlike a thief my character acts completely in the open, meaning I'm more likely to cross the other players, and when I'm level 13 and have 8 ranks in 30+ skills and can do anything from tailoring clothes, to cooking a 5 course meal, to brewing a fine wine, it's easy to turn around and say "where is she getting all the skill points from?"

I figured I would nip it now before it became a problem.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-24, 02:01 PM
Eh, I wouldn't think you're cheating, though my guess at how you pulled it off would have been different(Elf Dilettante, +1 on all untrained skills, use trained only skills freely. Smaller bonus than what you use, but wider applicability).

Dunno whether Profession(X) and Profession(Y) count as different skills, but if they do a bit of Factotum would go well with your concept. Cunning Knowledge, +1 per Factotum level to every skill once per day.

Morithias
2012-10-24, 03:12 PM
Dunno whether Profession(X) and Profession(Y) count as different skills, but if they do a bit of Factotum would go well with your concept. Cunning Knowledge, +1 per Factotum level to every skill once per day.

I'm 99% sure RAW they are since you have to buy ranks in them separately, but might be good to ask the DM. What do you think Rizban?

Rizban
2012-10-24, 09:35 PM
Craft, Perform, and Profession are explicitly stated to be a collection of different skills using the same generic name.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-24, 09:59 PM
Pity I played lots of skill monkeys before and wanted something different. A properly built Factotum could likely pull some crazy stuff here.

Jeriah
2012-10-24, 11:10 PM
I just realized that I never checked into the OOC thread! Of course, without significant player interaction in this game, the OOC thread never gets very popular. Even with lots of interaction, players tend to chat in their IC threads instead.

Aldurin
2012-10-25, 04:21 PM
I will say, this is definitely fun so far, even if my decision-making blatantly screams that this is my first time in a D&D game that actually lasts. Or being above level 1.

How would IC collaborations work if two PCs started working together? Would they have a single thread between them or would they maintain their original threads?

bindin garoth
2012-10-25, 05:34 PM
Wish I had scry, then I could spy on the docks at night........

On the other hand, later I MIGHT be willing to enter the docks with a group. MIGHT is the key word. I have some exploring to do first :smalltongue:

Morithias
2012-10-26, 12:57 PM
Wish I had scry, then I could spy on the docks at night........

On the other hand, later I MIGHT be willing to enter the docks with a group. MIGHT is the key word. I have some exploring to do first :smalltongue:

If you need funding in the future, talk to the snow elf in the store in the plaza. She'll help you clean it up, but she's a Merchant, not a Paladin, don't expect her to join you.

Of course given the current way the thread is going, I think I'm about to get in over my head.

bindin garoth
2012-10-26, 02:58 PM
Merchant huh.......

Might be able to make an.... agreement with you. I'll probably come visit your store later.

Right now I have some investigating to do!

Rizban
2012-10-26, 03:12 PM
I will say, this is definitely fun so far, even if my decision-making blatantly screams that this is my first time in a D&D game that actually lasts. Or being above level 1.

How would IC collaborations work if two PCs started working together? Would they have a single thread between them or would they maintain their original threads?

They get a team up thread. Exactly how team up threads work varies based on the characters, players, and IC situations. Sometimes it's an ongoing thread that they can come back to from time to time as they will. Sometimes it's a one shot thread for a specific adventure that is then not used again. Sometimes it's something else. Your own private thread is always private to you though.

Morithias
2012-10-26, 03:29 PM
Merchant huh.......

Might be able to make an.... agreement with you. I'll probably come visit your store later.

Right now I have some investigating to do!

The store doesn't actually exist yet, but when it does you may find some cosigned magical items from a contact of mine. However please do note that the store is basically a small wal-mart for the time being that is catering to the poor and middle class, in an attempt to raise standards of living.

That being said, you still need to eat, and cooking your own food with ingredients bought from my store will save you a bit of money, and it'll be some good PC to PC roleplaying and keep the money flow in PC hands.

I know I'm not suppose to give away what my build is, but given how often I've quoted Power of Faerun and the business rules, I think you can figure out why I'm useless if someone actually took me on mono-a-mono in a straight fight.

bindin garoth
2012-10-26, 03:32 PM
Well I'm sure I could find a few things useful there. Besides, there are a few things my PC could probably do to help yours. Once you're established, my PC will probably come looking around for a job anyways.....

Rizban
2012-10-26, 03:35 PM
Everyone is playing so nice this time around, wanting to open shops, work together, build things. The majority of players last time recruitment was open wanted to find intrigue and danger and to kill things, particularly each other.

Heck, I think my PC has killed as many or more other PCs than all other players combined. It's like, he's just going about his business, then, suddenly, he gets attacked by a PC being run by another GM and has to defend himself.

Morithias
2012-10-26, 03:36 PM
Well I'm sure I could find a few things useful there. Besides, there are a few things my PC could probably do to help yours. Once you're established, my PC will probably come looking around for a job anyways.....

I could use someone to watch me and the store at night or when I'm gone, and if you're a PC with spells or fighting ability, I could use a guard.

However keep in mind I won't be able to pay you a ton at first, mainly let you live at the store and eat my food (she has ranks in cook so don't worry it'll be tasty).

Once my debt is paid off and I negotiate my way into owning the house rather than renting it, expect possibly higher wages. I'll probably pay you a standard small fee, with bonuses whenever something big actually happens, but we'll negotiate the terms in character.

Just saying, level 5/6 merchant =/= ton of money, wait until I'm level 10 and have monopolized the shopping district, then = ton of money.

(I'm level 5 cause I don't own the shop yet, once I own the shop I qualify for a prestige class so I'll level then, in case you're wondering why I'm a level lower).

Everyone is playing so nice this time around, wanting to open shops, work together, build things. The majority of players last time recruitment was open wanted to find intrigue and danger and to kill things, particularly each other.

Heck, I think my PC has killed as many or more other PCs than all other players combined. It's like, he's just going about his business, then, suddenly, he gets attacked by a PC being run by another GM and has to defend himself.

I pray that doesn't happen to me.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-26, 03:44 PM

Well, so far we've given each other no reason to kill each other. But if you compete for something valuable, or act in a possibly-hostile way when meeting in the sewers, or just happen to wear holy symbols of diametrically oposed deities...

Out of curiosity, what kind of character did you play?

bindin garoth
2012-10-26, 04:05 PM
I could use someone to watch me and the store at night or when I'm gone, and if you're a PC with spells or fighting ability, I could use a guard.

However keep in mind I won't be able to pay you a ton at first, mainly let you live at the store and eat my food (she has ranks in cook so don't worry it'll be tasty).

Once my debt is paid off and I negotiate my way into owning the house rather than renting it, expect possibly higher wages. I'll probably pay you a standard small fee, with bonuses whenever something big actually happens, but we'll negotiate the terms in character.

Just saying, level 5/6 merchant =/= ton of money, wait until I'm level 10 and have monopolized the shopping district, then = ton of money.

(I'm level 5 cause I don't own the shop yet, once I own the shop I qualify for a prestige class so I'll level then, in case you're wondering why I'm a level lower).

That actually sounds good. My character would of been wondering, staying in inns as long as the money coming in was good.

I don't know about watching the store, or about being a guard (my PC isn't really into it), although he could help out and watch from time to time. I can't give details off of my sheet, but he could help your business in a few days.

Basically, he'd be willing to do favors every once in a while in turn for having a steady supply of food and shelter. Perhaps more, depending on the wages he'd be getting.

Edit:

I'm curious about this too, what kind of character did you play?

My character simply has no reason to do anything evil for now....... Perhaps later....... Especially if someone infringes in his area of expertise.

Rizban
2012-10-26, 04:17 PM
You know that shop in the Plaza mentioned in the first post? Erbauer's Enchanted Devices and Dynamos? Yeah, that's my PC. He's a merchant, an inventor, and an unparalleled craftsman. He was also a freelance adventurer in his youth.

Absolutely no one knows about it, but he is the only known human to have entered the Docks at night, met with its horrors face to face, and escaped with his life. Well, he and two others escaped, but they've since been killed by the selfsame horrors coming to find them later... He's made lots of powerful enemies and a few even more powerful friends.

Morithias
2012-10-26, 07:41 PM
Hmm, judging from your maps, the south market is largely underdeveloped.

I might want to recruit someone who can build houses and start making rental apartments, and other real estate there once the income starts flowing in.

Ulm11
2012-10-26, 10:20 PM
In general if any character wants to hire protection something along my lines then my character would be up for it, especially if there is something interesting about the assignment. When it come to other PC's he will play nice but if somebody was to cross him, things will get ugly fast.

MilesTiden
2012-10-26, 10:38 PM
So... it appears we are now future-rivals, Morithias. :smalltongue: I may have to step up my game if you keep on intending to infringe on my domain. :smallwink:

Anyways, I'm thinking about building my Tavern in the North Market district, and it's going to be the best damned tavern you've ever seen. Actually, it probably won't be. At least until I'm higher level, and can take the Landlord feat. Who knows, maybe by the time I'm able to take the Landlord feat, you'll qualify as important enough to be the subject of said feat. :smallwink:

Moranica
2012-10-27, 04:26 AM
Hi all, nice to see you all here. I can't help but wonder if my current Aldhaven activity revolves about some players business. :smallbiggrin:

I do miss Alfonso though. I might take Leadership and have a mad and powerhungry lackey... :smallbiggrin:

mrcarter11
2012-10-27, 04:34 AM
Hey I have a quick question, that I'm not sure if it can be answered.

Are Scribble or Little Green still active?

Also I can personally say that Riz's PC can instagib three PC's in a single round. It was incredibly terrifying.

I like how everyone is getting along this time. Friendly atmosphere.

Moranica
2012-10-27, 04:53 AM
Indeed, Scribly still lives.

Are you referring to that little dungeon dispute, that went sour for Alfonso the first?

mrcarter11
2012-10-27, 05:41 AM
Well depending on Little Green then.. And what was his name,, Ishmel I think maybe? I think the four of us are some of the only carry overs from the first game.

I don't think I've honestly met Scrible though. Perhaps we should.. Hopefully it would fare better then our last teamup.

And yeah, that was just bad. He literally made all three of your go splat..

TheFallenOne
2012-10-27, 07:12 AM
Three in a turn? Some form of AoE nuking? Sudden Maximized Fiery Fireball with CL boosters?

Morithias
2012-10-27, 01:03 PM
So... it appears we are now future-rivals, Morithias. :smalltongue: I may have to step up my game if you keep on intending to infringe on my domain. :smallwink:

Anyways, I'm thinking about building my Tavern in the North Market district, and it's going to be the best damned tavern you've ever seen. Actually, it probably won't be. At least until I'm higher level, and can take the Landlord feat. Who knows, maybe by the time I'm able to take the Landlord feat, you'll qualify as important enough to be the subject of said feat. :smallwink:

I'm sure we can talk about real estate deals.

As for the tavern...actually my next business was going to either be renting houses (if I can find a cohort with the craft (house) skill) or a brewery.

Or maybe a farm that grows food for my market.

Also it might be a good idea to become "Good competition" to each other.

In the DMG2, Good competition gives you -1d6 on profit checks for 2d4 months, but then you add 1d8 to your profit checks permanent.

So if we think long term, being friendly rivals like the rival in Pokemon Emerald could boost our profit checks a fair bit if the rolls roll well.

Edit: also if I do open a tavern, it's going to be young adult club. My elf is only 114, she has 61 years before she is middle aged, and quite frankly, the lack of night clubs in the city annoys her. Clearly there are not enough vampires running around.

hmm I need to get to work on the affiliation

Rizban
2012-10-27, 02:36 PM
Also I can personally say that Riz's PC can instagib three PC's in a single round. It was incredibly terrifying.You vastly underestimate him.

Well depending on Little Green then.. And what was his name,, Ishmel I think maybe? I think the four of us are some of the only carry overs from the first game.

Little Green, Ishmael, Scribly, Isten, Almerax, and Glim

Three in a turn? Some form of AoE nuking? Sudden Maximized Fiery Fireball with CL boosters?

Your guess is as good as any...

Aldurin
2012-10-27, 02:54 PM
I'm just going to assume that Rizban's PC is like the Umbrella Corporation, where the only thing that can safely kill him is the economy.

mrcarter11
2012-10-27, 02:55 PM
I'm not familiar with the last two at all. The others I know though. I keep thinking of the idea of us uniting, sadly I have no idea how that would go.

And it's not that I underestimate him, but that's all I saw.

"No Shadow, you lie to us!"

Riz's PC get mad

Three PC's are left dead one round later.

Morithias
2012-10-27, 03:01 PM
I'm just going to assume that Rizban's PC is like the Umbrella Corporation, where the only thing that can safely kill him is the economy.

So basically I'm the only person that can take him down. Yet I'm on good terms with him, so long as I don't start trafficking in magical items.

Irony.

ragingrage
2012-10-27, 03:09 PM
Ahh...Ishmael. He was probably my favorite character -- Don't think anyone really got so deep into Aldhaven as him.

Morithias
2012-10-29, 10:44 PM
Does anyone have experience in this campaign? Like what to expect exactly?

Cause I'm starting to get paranoid. I'm in a contract that if I break I get sent into slavery. I've been approached by someone I think was a racketeer, and now I've got a halfling rich enough to blow money on 220 gp wine flirting with me, with possible murdering me if I reject her.

I need a body guard. Or at least a boyfriend to get rid of all the flirtation.

Anyone up for some romance and guard work? I'll pay you!

TheFallenOne
2012-10-29, 11:09 PM
I currently have a task with a chance of survival I peg to be below even. If I get through it I might be available for help. Provided decent compensation of course :smalltongue:

TriumphantHero
2012-10-30, 12:01 AM
I can do guard work. 3'3", very intimidating stature, nobody would even look funny at you with me around.

Aldurin
2012-10-30, 12:41 AM
Uh, I'm currently preoccupied but if Ian doesn't show up in the obituary soon then he might be up for an ally.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 01:03 AM
All of you and your paranoia. I mean, only three of the 10 or so players I'm DMing are in any immediate danger of dying.
"Immediate" meaning within the next four or five posts...

Then again, planswalker, who was my second in command on GMing this has lost more characters than any other player except maybe the player of Alfonso... Nope, planswalker has definitely lost more.

mrcarter11
2012-10-30, 05:36 AM
Well Little Green seems to be lasting fairly well.

About the guard work.. I could in theory do it. It's already what I spend the current majority of my time on. Though my max on wine is 150 gold.

bindin garoth
2012-10-30, 09:06 AM
I'm looking to take down the spies, if anyone is interested in helping.

Morithias
2012-10-30, 01:37 PM
And I just got nearly raped.

15 gold pieces a day for a bodyguard. 1000 if you bring me the head of a halfling woman named Hedda.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 01:42 PM
There was no attempted rape.
It was all in the player's mind, never in the DM's.

Morithias
2012-10-30, 02:03 PM
There was no attempted rape.
It was all in the player's mind, never in the DM's.

Level 5 spell...sorry makes me think dominate person...I guess my woman is just paranoid.

And now she's having a crisis of faith. God I would hate to see what this girl is going to be like when the shop finally opens and it gets attack by bandits..

The whole "parents vanishing into thin air" doesn't help. Plus she's literally the minimum age for adult hood (110 + 4 on a 4d6 for a simple class).

For all intents and purposes she's 16 years old, and completely at odd with the world that wants her dead.

Aldurin
2012-10-30, 02:06 PM
Man, you got it easy compared to me, I'm about to be arrested for no reason!

Zerter
2012-10-30, 02:08 PM
Pfff. I was a a +1 on a d20 away from dying because of paying someone a compliment... in the first conversation I started!

Morithias
2012-10-30, 02:09 PM
Man, you got it easy compared to me, I'm about to be arrested for no reason!

Yeah but if you go by the laws in cityscape, your'e likely to get off if the people in power are lawful and so on. Then again I'm not sure about the corruption level of this city..I'm starting to think "burn it to the ground and start over" might not be a bad idea. Anyone got a book of exalted deeds and can cast level 9 magic? Up for an apocalypse from the sky?

I just got scammed out of 220 gold pieces. Remind me to murder that bartender and burn down his tavern when I'm done. I'm thinking of going from Waukeen to Glasya, but I'm not sure how active infernal cults are in the city.

mrcarter11
2012-10-30, 02:16 PM
What tavern scammed you? That seems... odd. Most taverns I've run into are fairly awesome.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 02:16 PM
Anyone got a book of exalted deedsSpecifically banned sourcebook.

Morithias
2012-10-30, 02:17 PM
What tavern scammed you? That seems... odd. Most taverns I've run into are fairly awesome.

It was a customer actually. I was WORKING at the tavern.

Specifically banned sourcebook.

But it's in the Dungeon Master's guide?

Rizban
2012-10-30, 02:23 PM
Ah, thought you meant the sourcebook by the same name. Carry on.

mrcarter11
2012-10-30, 02:27 PM
Very interesting in terms of the tavern.. I'm curious as to which, but I'll probably go there looking for trouble if you told me, so don't.. But I hope you have better experiences soon.

About the guard pay,, eh I make a good bit more now, so I can't really. Unless you can make magic items or something of the sort. If I recall you were the one that wanted to start your own corporation for lack of a better word, I mean, I can see getting in on the ground floor per say so that when your business ventures take off, well I'm already there..

Zerter
2012-10-30, 02:29 PM
O btw, I'm interested in helping you with your business and such. As far as I understand it from the public threads any way, pretty sure there's a niche in which I can be useful. Been waiting for a public thread so I can find some reason to visit.

Morithias
2012-10-30, 02:36 PM
She originally was suppose to be about repairing the city and helping the poor, but now she's ticked off. Some evil halfling just scammed her and she had to pay for it, if Waukeen isn't going to watch over her, and she gets punished for being scammed, how can her faith be pure.

Quite frankly she's an over emotional unstable teenager, and her parents not being around isn't helping.

Quite frankly her business plan is going from "We care" to "Shadowrun Megacorp", very quickly, but she's an elf, she has years to build it and up and plan before turning the city into Baator.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 02:41 PM
Just because I feel like sharing it publicly, I hereby provide a random list of minor deities who have small shrines strewn about the Temple District.

Coin, the god of, surprisingly, currency and trade, greedy beyond compare and thoroughly evil.
Necrophytes, god of pimps, panderers and go-betweens. A new god, but a very hard worker.
Inary, the god of the wind, sorrow, courtships, and... pork sandwiches?
Nonoulhu, the asexual deity of nudity
Sifah, the goddess of beans, clouds, and second thoughts
Kesu, god of Fertility and Victory, known to be male but always take female form when appearing to mortals
Ginu Rro, goddess of deserts and desserts
Kaeta, the goddess of horses
Eneasher, goddess of night, nightmares and fate
Inem, the goddess of money, wishes and bad luck
Dreasseth, the god of secrets and thieves
Eloandry, the god of misery and chaos

Morithias
2012-10-30, 03:34 PM
Just because I feel like sharing it publicly, I hereby provide a random list of minor deities who have small shrines strewn about the Temple District.

Coin, the god of, surprisingly, currency and trade, greedy beyond compare and thoroughly evil.

This. Totally this. This is EXACTLY the type of god a jaded teenager would worship. "Teenage Haley" is an example of this.

mmm, I'm getting in the mood for shadowrun, and I still need to design my cohort. Maybe a crimson scourge so I can hunt down people who don't pay their loans and sell them into slavery.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 05:31 PM
mmm, I'm getting in the mood for shadowrun, and I still need to design my cohort. Maybe a crimson scourge so I can hunt down people who don't pay their loans and sell them into slavery.I personally prefer 2-3 levels of Justiciar (CW) combined with Thayan Slaver (Una).

Morithias
2012-10-30, 05:33 PM
I personally prefer 2-3 levels of Justiciar (CW) combined with Thayan Slaver (Una).

Actually the SRD, does say you can recruit cohorts of races, classes, and alignments, but how far does that stretch?

Like do I actually get to design the cohort, or is that up to the DM?

I mean in my old group we would design our own cohorts, but I'm not sure how this and other DMs do it.

Rizban
2012-10-30, 05:38 PM
You can look for something specific, but the DM determines availability and exact statistics/personality/connections/etc.

Morithias
2012-10-30, 06:04 PM
You can look for something specific, but the DM determines availability and exact statistics/personality/connections/etc.

Aright then that works.

Ulm11
2012-10-30, 10:37 PM
From what little I have picked up from this thread I have started a mental timer to see how long my character lasts before things start to go wrong. Of course when that happens things are going to get messy.

MilesTiden
2012-10-31, 12:32 AM
I'm fairly certain that absolutely everything will go wrong, but Darella will probably just think it's par for the course. She is incredibly unlucky. (Hopefully that will change... when I actually start to interact with things in a meaningful way and roll checks and stuff.)

ragingrage
2012-10-31, 06:35 AM
I dunno. Yeah, a lot of people die, but there's also one guy who's made it to, what is it now, three full threads? You can stay alive if you're paranoid and smart.

Monodominant
2012-10-31, 07:27 AM
Why thank you Ragingrage... always nice to be recognised :D

Yea, so Ishmael has survived 2 threads so far and midway in the 3rd... I have gotten close to death 3 times so far... once against the sniffer of the Jacks who killed me almost with 1 blow and I only survived by a literal amazingly lucky crit, once against a PC who I caught being a slaver and well gave him a chance to back off but he went at me after all and the third when that PCs belt exploded in a trap set by Rizbans character.

I guess there have been a couple of more times that I might have been in serious danger actually but I was unaware of it until later!

But when we are talking paranoia we are talking about the serious stuff... burning you clothes and cleaning up your blood from a battle scene to make sure noone gets a sympathetic link on you, putting on a disguise and then using a hat of disguise on top of that to make sure there are mundane and magical layers of protection, never using the same route twice, using teleportation to make sure you are not followed and off course renting a room and sleeping in the closet after you have deployed traps on the bed, on the door and under the bed...

Oh and before I forget...

I have been in the Docks with 2 characters too! One died and the other survived... and he has been to the Docks many times so :smalltongue::smalltongue::smalltongue: to Rizban!

And since Riz gave some info on shrines in the Temple district in case it helps anyone (or anyone cares) there are also the following established temples...

Temple of Pelor
Temple of Bahamut
Temple of Kelemvor
Temple of Tiamat
Temple of Boccob
Temple of Kord
Shrine of Tymora

but generally there are probably more, the above ones have been used in the past though.

PS>

Feel free to go to the Docks at night, I can personally guarantee nothing will happen to you... its really safe and fun there! Just remember to carry all your gear and gold with you.

TheFallenOne
2012-10-31, 08:19 AM
And I just got nearly raped.

15 gold pieces a day for a bodyguard. 1000 if you bring me the head of a halfling woman named Hedda.

Think your game is nasty?
There is currently a naked, unconscious person in my Bag of Holding.
Your move.

and yes, that is Step 1 of my master plan successfully executed :smallamused:
Also, depending on where you drank that expensive wine you might be very very glad I refused a certain quest offered to me.

ragingrage
2012-10-31, 09:17 AM
Well, mono, you can'treally brag about the docks too much...You've found a loophole in those rules, or something like that... :smalltongue:
So yeah, if you want to read probably the most interesting AvB story, Ishamael would be it. He's gotten really deep into the City and its plot.

Aldurin
2012-10-31, 11:57 AM
Think your game is nasty?
There is currently a naked, unconscious person in my Bag of Holding.
Your move.

Don't forget to open up the bag every 10 minutes, otherwise you'll have a corpse in your bag of holding. Which may or may not be a more awkward thing to explain if anyone notices.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 06:53 PM
I have been in the Docks with 2 characters too! One died and the other survived... and he has been to the Docks many times so :smalltongue::smalltongue::smalltongue: to Rizban!Yes, and your first one died there. My character watching him die... may have even had a hand in it... :smallbiggrin:

The second one joined the evils there, so I don't count that as "surviving" it.

ragingrage
2012-10-31, 07:02 PM
Joined the evils? That's a bit of an understatement, no?

bobthe6th
2012-10-31, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have experience in this campaign? Like what to expect exactly?

Cause I'm starting to get paranoid. I'm in a contract that if I break I get sent into slavery. I've been approached by someone I think was a racketeer, and now I've got a halfling rich enough to blow money on 220 gp wine flirting with me, with possible murdering me if I reject her.

I need a body guard. Or at least a boyfriend to get rid of all the flirtation.

Anyone up for some romance and guard work? I'll pay you!

Hell, bored enough to make a fighter/barbarian... And I fail at making my own adventures in the city. Keeping him feed is just about all he needs, though extra cash is nice.

He would be a merc from the outside, coming to see the city and earn some gold. kinda generic, but I can add details as I build the character.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 07:22 PM
Apparently, there's a particular char op guide that's become quite popular. I've now received five characters with virtually identical builds using the exact same obscure sources.

Ulm11
2012-10-31, 07:27 PM
How do you feel about using the variant intimidate rule where strength is the main stat, not charisma?

bobthe6th
2012-10-31, 07:29 PM
:smallconfused: huh, weird. what guide?So I can kill them all with little to no effort.

Won't talk about my build here, but it is a bit beyond just scything.

MilesTiden
2012-10-31, 08:42 PM
Apparently, there's a particular char op guide that's become quite popular. I've now received five characters with virtually identical builds using the exact same obscure sources.

Hmm... that's weird. :smallconfused:

I definitely know that my build doesn't fall under said guide, but am intensely curious. But, it's none of my business. :smallsmile: I shall embrace my unoptimized Rogue/Bard with glee. :smalltongue:

bobthe6th
2012-10-31, 08:56 PM
a question... are foes scaled to the players op level? By that I mean, would a half elf fighter with all his feats in the weapon focus chain face the same threats as an uber charger build? Just wondering to what level I can make the build fun/silly without being dead fast.

Rizban
2012-10-31, 09:54 PM
How do you feel about using the variant intimidate rule where strength is the main stat, not charisma?

Find a valid source and include it on your sheet.

a question... are foes scaled to the players op level? By that I mean, would a half elf fighter with all his feats in the weapon focus chain face the same threats as an uber charger build? Just wondering to what level I can make the build fun/silly without being dead fast.

There's a base level of difficulty; however, the more optimized you are, the more optimized and/or numerous your enemies mysteriously become.

Ulm11
2012-10-31, 10:01 PM
Find a valid source and include it on your sheet.

Now that I actually try to find the variant rule it turns out that it was just homebrew. The only other options come from either illegal or impractical sources so nevermind.

MilesTiden
2012-10-31, 10:09 PM
Gah, I'm so not used to playing a character that's so roleplay based. All my RL games died, and the game we most recently played was one focused entirely on combat, in an arena setting. I always play quiet characters too, so I have to get re-used to talking again.

Morithias
2012-10-31, 10:30 PM
Gah, I'm so not used to playing a character that's so roleplay based. All my RL games died, and the game we most recently played was one focused entirely on combat, in an arena setting. I always play quiet characters too, so I have to get re-used to talking again.

Yeah that one struck me for a blow too. I was seriously expecting more number crunching.

bobthe6th
2012-10-31, 11:00 PM
well, combat is funky on PbP... so RP games tend to do the best.

also, character sent, tried to make it easy to check...

Rizban
2012-11-01, 12:27 AM
I did all the number crunching years ago... literally years ago. :smalltongue:
I have a long list of NPCs with stats, gear, loot, etc. all finished and ready to go. Most of them are like "Generic City Watch" or "Random Thug." I have them in a spread sheet with their stats already formatted for posting and just copy paste their rolls straight from the sheet. It makes running things much quicker and easier.

Aldurin
2012-11-01, 12:34 AM
The fact that you did this years ago indicates that we're not killing people near fast enough to get you to generate another batch. We should step up our game.

mrcarter11
2012-11-01, 01:17 AM
For what it's worth.. Killing things gets very dicey in the city. You do have to worry about the guard, because the city guard in this game can and will kill you. And as you start killing things, they start looking for you.

Or at least it seems that way.

Aldurin
2012-11-01, 01:38 AM
Well in retrospect of recent attempts I should have waited and amassed enough wealth and magical items so that I could do the murder equivalent of air assassinating someone in an enclosed room and hiding in my own bag of holding to get away with it.

Rizban
2012-11-01, 03:14 AM
The fact that you did this years ago indicates that we're not killing people near fast enough to get you to generate another batch. We should step up our game.No, it just indicates that I reuse a lot of material and have a lot of generic builds that can be quickly modified to suit what I need.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-01, 03:52 AM

Without giving away too much details, melee or caster?

Rizban
2012-11-01, 04:12 AM
I'd rather not answer that. The people submitting the build know who they are. Not that using a build you found is banned. I just thought it odd that I got so many copies of the same build pulled from the same guide.

bindin garoth
2012-11-01, 11:06 AM
Anyone want to join up for looking for the stolen item?

HerbieRAI
2012-11-01, 02:44 PM
I dont know, but my character may be one of those. I've always wanted to play this character, but it doesn't work well outside of city. I personally think it may be weak inside the city.

I'm going to be looking for the item, and I don't mind joining up. Thats assuming I survive my current predicament.

bindin garoth
2012-11-01, 03:25 PM
Alright. Just let me know when you're ready, and we'll figure out some way to meet up.

Rizban
2012-11-02, 03:30 AM
This is the most I've ever seen the OOC used... Keep it up. :smallbiggrin:

TheFallenOne
2012-11-02, 03:47 AM
I'd rather not answer that. The people submitting the build know who they are. Not that using a build you found is banned. I just thought it odd that I got so many copies of the same build pulled from the same guide.

But I'm incredibly curious! Now I have to find one of them, fight them and then reverse-engineer the build! And I have so many other things to do already!

Monodominant
2012-11-02, 08:04 AM
I refuse the allegations I have joined Evul.

Everything Ishmael does he does it for the Children!

Plus, I wouldnt call working for them on occassion as Joining them. Plus in that respect so has Hagan and others!

Zerter
2012-11-02, 08:27 AM
I am looking to cooperate with people if they are open to it. My character's field of expertise is social skills, with some secondary skillsets and I am really just looking to get to know the city so I am open to lots of stuff.

mrcarter11
2012-11-02, 09:16 AM
@Zerter
Did the PC Zerter die or is he still around?

Zerter
2012-11-02, 10:01 AM
@mrcarter11Depends on what you consider still being around. I had to re-submit him, but it's the same character.

mrcarter11
2012-11-02, 10:07 AM
@Zerter

Fair enough. I remember hearing about your old PC a few times and was just curious as to whether or not he was still around.

bindin garoth
2012-11-02, 12:55 PM
I am looking to cooperate with people if they are open to it. My character's field of expertise is social skills, with some secondary skillsets and I am really just looking to get to know the city so I am open to lots of stuff.

I wouldn't mind having another one join in on recovering the stolen item.

Zerter
2012-11-02, 01:30 PM
Sure! Want to coincidentially meet somewhere? Not sure how this normally goes.

HerbieRAI
2012-11-02, 01:48 PM
We are going to be trying to find the item (on the quest board). We still haven't decided on when/how to meet yet.

bindin garoth
2012-11-02, 01:53 PM
How about at the shop where the requester is?

Zerter
2012-11-02, 01:57 PM
I have no idea about this quest other than that you want to pursue it, though I am guessing it comes from the city crier so my character knows more about than I do :smallbiggrin:. We can meet there, sure. I've hit a wall at the moment anyway, literally.

bindin garoth
2012-11-02, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I kinda hit a will with my one idea (more so that my character didn't feel safe perusing the quest by himself).

And yes the location is in the town crier.

Rizban
2012-11-03, 03:29 AM
I refuse the allegations I have joined Evul.

Everything Ishmael does he does it for the Children!

Plus, I wouldnt call working for them on occassion as Joining them. Plus in that respect so has Hagan and others!

Hagan, at least as far as I controlled him, has never knowingly assisted the group we're talking about. If your DM had him do otherwise once I stopped actively playing him, then that doesn't count.

God Imperror
2012-11-03, 04:18 AM
Well I am new on the game, hope to have fun with all of you :smallsmile:

Monodominant
2012-11-03, 12:32 PM
Hagan, at least as far as I controlled him, has never knowingly assisted the group we're talking about. If your DM had him do otherwise once I stopped actively playing him, then that doesn't count.

Well the knowingly is the key word here...

My point was that I didnt move against the Jacks because of the Duchess... I moved against the Jacks due to that group and THEN asked the Duchess to support it...

Hence those that helped me take down the Jacks worked for well... that group. The fact that a squad of them was present in the wrap up might also give a hint ;).

Also, would supplying that group count?

In any case, I have been enjoying this game for 2 years now so like I said, I am really happy to see you back and restarting it!

Aldurin
2012-11-04, 12:39 AM
For a moment there I thought Triumphanthero forgot he wasn't playing TeamFortress 2 and fully intended to save the day and get rich by wearing increasingly powerful enchanted hats.

Now I see he wants to bring TF2 to the NPCs. An odd cause, but noble nonetheless.

Togath
2012-11-04, 01:52 AM
My character has also come to the city due to a quest as well...though he's not sure how much truth is in the legend he's following. Should I have him research a bit more before he starts leaving notices around shops/hiring the town crier? Or do you think that having him look around for either pcs or npcs that know about obscure legends would be a better start before trying to get a team together.

Aldurin
2012-11-04, 02:01 AM
You should raise a small army to help you with this quest, optimally with even less preparation and knowledge than you have right now. Then you'll trigger a case of Western RPG tropes along the way and stumble on enough treasure to retire twice despite not finding your goal regarding something of questionable existence.

Morithias
2012-11-04, 09:11 PM
I am moving into a new apartment tomorrow, and will be without internet for a day or more. This won't really affect anyone in this game besides the DM, but I figured I should say it anyways.

Rizban
2012-11-04, 09:55 PM
My character has also come to the city due to a quest as well...though he's not sure how much truth is in the legend he's following. Should I have him research a bit more before he starts leaving notices around shops/hiring the town crier? Or do you think that having him look around for either pcs or npcs that know about obscure legends would be a better start before trying to get a team together.

Your choice.

I am moving into a new apartment tomorrow, and will be without internet for a day or more. This won't really affect anyone in this game besides the DM, but I figured I should say it anyways.

Okay.

bobthe6th
2012-11-04, 10:22 PM
Just saying, James would probably be exploring the guildsmans district... seeking to start/join a mercenary guild...

Lokio
2012-11-05, 07:32 PM
Monodominant, how you been, man? Is Ishmael still in existance somewhere?

Nice to see this up and running again. I'll see if I have the time to get something going. Is the continuity effectively the same, Riz? (ie: did all that happened before still happen?)

As a complete aside, I am in the process of rereading the Shadowy Connections thread. It was hot.

Ulm11
2012-11-05, 09:39 PM
I am curious, what is the highest level a PC has ever reached in AVB?

Rizban
2012-11-05, 10:46 PM
Probably whatever level Ishmael and/or Little Green are now, as they're about the oldest continually running characters.

I know the highest I personally saw was level 10.

Monodominant
2012-11-06, 03:16 AM
Howdy Lokio!

Yes Ishmael is still around as is Little Green.

Generally I am more focused on various political stuff... using my unique talents to advance the various causes Ishmael weirdly supports. So I havent gone around chasing XP but I am 11 or 12 (I have 11 on the sheet but I leveled some time ago and forgot to actually do the leveling part!) Still, compared to what I could be, Ish is pretty unoptimised in order to follow the more fluffy aspects of his endeavours.

Morithias
2012-11-06, 03:00 PM
I have returned, my net is back.

Lokio
2012-11-06, 03:48 PM
Howdy Lokio!

Yes Ishmael is still around as is Little Green.

Generally I am more focused on various political stuff... using my unique talents to advance the various causes Ishmael weirdly supports. So I havent gone around chasing XP but I am 11 or 12 (I have 11 on the sheet but I leveled some time ago and forgot to actually do the leveling part!) Still, compared to what I could be, Ish is pretty unoptimised in order to follow the more fluffy aspects of his endeavours.

Well, how about that! Good for you man.

I wish we could go back and do Shadowy Connections again! I got through my reread of it; my god, that final fight...

Rizban
2012-11-07, 10:55 PM
Sorry I've been out. Spent the weekend out of town, been spending lots of time with my girl, then been super busy with work and watching the election stuff. All that and playing Assassin's Creed hasn't left much time for anything else. Anyway, getting caught up now.

hustlertwo
2012-11-09, 08:55 AM
Hello all, especially old-time buddies like Riz, Lokio, and the other Aldhaven vets. I'd like to officially welcome everyone to the Aldhaven Arena! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211411) Of course you have to locate it in-game, but given that it is a giant glittering glass structure amidst the squalor of the lovely Slums district it likely won't be too hard. Wilstaff and Bennett are back in action thanks to our benefactor Planswalker, and so we're looking for a few good PCs who want to kill or die for entertainment, XP and potentially a bit o' profit. To say nothing of employment opportunities with the Blue Hands...but then, I really can't say anything about that. You have to find out for yourself.

Moranica
2012-11-09, 08:58 AM
Hiya!! You still have to post my epic battle with Piscine's guy, which left him "dead" and me unconscious. :smallbiggrin: Might be a nice warm up.

Zerter
2012-11-09, 11:32 AM
Hiya!! You still have to post my epic battle with Piscine's guy, which left him "dead" and me unconscious. Might be a nice warm up.

Let me tell you that that battle made quite an impact on Piscine, think he has played three Psionics since. He also seems to think Ego Whip is a substitute for diplomacy, but that might just be more related to his personality.

Moranica
2012-11-09, 01:24 PM
Certainly was the closest battle I ever fought. :smallbiggrin:

And ego whip is very handy indeed.

Morithias
2012-11-09, 05:48 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the level up system in this campaign? Does the DM just tell you when to level up? Do we get xp for roleplaying? Cause my character is very non-combat.

It might just have something to do with the fact I've put off leveling up my character for a level, but I'm just curious. Play by post seems to level rather slow compared to real life play then again my old group was VERY trigger happy, and saw "violence" as the favoured reply to everything.

Moranica
2012-11-09, 06:03 PM
I find that all the DM's I had catered to whichever playstyle I preferred. Basicly, risk or learning grants reward, be it from combat or RP.

Morithias
2012-11-09, 10:39 PM
I just realized something, that I need double checked before I start attempting it.

Since "War of the lance" is an allowed book, that means the master class exists since my character you know is playing one.

Does that mean master craftsmen exist and we can buy stuff like +10 skill bonus items, and +5 master work swords?

Rizban
2012-11-10, 03:26 AM
I run XP differently than most other DMs. My players always complain about it, because they feel cheated, but I think it's fair.

From combat, you get a maximum of half normal XP from the encounter, and then you get it only if it was actually challenging to you.

From noncombat encounters, you usually get one of three rewards: XP/GP, new contacts, or increased influence. In general, if you do something for personal gain, your reward is the thing you were trying to gain. For example, opening a successful business gives you the business itself as the reward, and you don't automatically get XP from it. Something that eztends your influence in the city gives you that influence as its reward.

The fastest way to gain XP, if that is your goal, is to do things that increase the influence and power of others with little personal gain to yourself. You will gain XP along the way from various actions.

In short, your character becomes increasingly powerful as you play, but it isn't always reflected by XP gains. My personal character, I believe, gained far more power through making friends and gaining influence than he ever did from gaining XP. XP was not my personal goal.

1As to your item question, just because an option is available to players doesn't mean that it's available to NPCs. No, you can't just buy those items.

Morithias
2012-11-10, 03:33 AM
Snip

Translation. Grind gold pieces and give to charity if I want to level up. Makes sense. Very AD&D.

hustlertwo
2012-11-10, 09:48 PM
I know Plans was generous with material rewards, but the reason is because I rolled most of it back into story things (e.g. the Arena, the Watch) instead of spending it on shinies. And I ended up enjoying it more that way anyhow. Items give personal power, but those organizations provided something far more potent: the ability to impact the city, or at least segments of it, far beyond what can be done through brute force.

Lokio
2012-11-11, 12:38 AM
Riz is quite right generally - there's a good benefit to influence, etc. I did things for the Watch and ended up rising in the rank in the Watch on Perry. Taking on the evils of Aldhaven was very rewarding, to a point. Sadly my plan to get an inn going didn't ever get a chance to finish up!

Togath
2012-11-11, 04:31 AM
Would it be appropriate for a character to ask around about some sort of gladiatorial combat in Aldhaven(I as specifically thinking of trying to steer him towards the arena, but wasn't sure if an inn would be a bad place o ask around about that sort of thing)? The arena sounds like an interesting place(even of he didnít end up fighting there, it seems like a place he could sell food at fairly easily)

hustlertwo
2012-11-11, 10:49 PM
Can't speak for Riz, but I imagine that would work. And we already have one merchant who set up shop near the Arena, an armorsmith and equipment repair fellow named Speedy, so more would be welcome. Dunno if that player is still in the game or not, but he sent me a PM recently so hopefully he is.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 06:41 AM
Translation. Grind gold pieces and give to charity if I want to level up. Makes sense. Very AD&D.

Not necessarily. That actually might not work, depending on how you handle things.

Would it be appropriate for a character to ask around about some sort of gladiatorial combat in Aldhaven(I as specifically thinking of trying to steer him towards the arena, but wasn't sure if an inn would be a bad place o ask around about that sort of thing)? The arena sounds like an interesting place(even of he didnít end up fighting there, it seems like a place he could sell food at fairly easily)

Whatever you want to do... :smallamused:

Moranica
2012-11-12, 06:43 AM
I hear there is good info on the arena in the docks to be found.

Yeah, really the docks are good for info. Especially on dark moonless nights.

Rizban
2012-11-12, 07:18 AM
You people are mean. :smalltongue:

Jeriah
2012-11-12, 07:43 AM
I'm looking for an adventuring team up, but it seems like none of the adventuring type characters use weapons...

Monodominant
2012-11-12, 07:47 AM
I would also like to extend a welcome to the Docks and the Sewers. Really all the negativity here is appaling... the docks are a friendly place were people of all races can find exciting entertainment and chance for adventure...

Please remember to carry all your equipment and gold with you because between you and me, you shouldnt trust the banks and inns in this city! If they are on you, your goods are safe!

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 07:59 AM
I'm looking for an adventuring team up, but it seems like none of the adventuring type characters use weapons...

How do you know, and why is that a problem?

Jeriah
2012-11-12, 08:14 AM
Because Riz has been working with me to figure out where to take my character. He hasn't told me about anyone's build or anything, but I know the merchant characters aren't big adventurers, and the only ones adventuring are casters of various flavors, some using alternate systems. That's basically all I know about them.

I was hoping to find someone who was either a big, dumb fighter or a gish to team up with due to the particulars of my own character. It doesn't look like there are any in the game at the moment though... :smallfrown:

TheFallenOne
2012-11-12, 08:24 AM
Oh I am definitely a melee guy, but I don't use weapons either :smalltongue: I am though in the middle of a quest that has a decent chance of killing me, so I am not available for a team now or possibly ever(unless zombified)

Ulm11
2012-11-12, 02:41 PM
Well then I am pleased to say, depending on where my arc goes I could be of service to you, assuming an axe the size of a man counts as a weapon :smallbiggrin:

Togath
2012-11-12, 04:08 PM
My character could also probably be useful

Morithias
2012-11-12, 04:24 PM
I would also like to extend a welcome to the Docks and the Sewers. Really all the negativity here is appaling... the docks are a friendly place were people of all races can find exciting entertainment and chance for adventure...

Please remember to carry all your equipment and gold with you because between you and me, you shouldnt trust the banks and inns in this city! If they are on you, your goods are safe!

Geeze how corrupt is this city? Did the last times player's do nothing to clean it up?

Either way, if you ever need non-adventurering supplies like food and clothes, feel free to drop by the Endoss Emporium. Sewari will be pleased to aid you in anyway she can.

bindin garoth
2012-11-12, 05:01 PM
Because Riz has been working with me to figure out where to take my character. He hasn't told me about anyone's build or anything, but I know the merchant characters aren't big adventurers, and the only ones adventuring are casters of various flavors, some using alternate systems. That's basically all I know about them.

I was hoping to find someone who was either a big, dumb fighter or a gish to team up with due to the particulars of my own character. It doesn't look like there are any in the game at the moment though... :smallfrown:

Unfortunately, I would be of no use in this aspect.......

Lokio
2012-11-12, 10:18 PM
well golly, i'd come join ya, jeriah, once im in

Monodominant
2012-11-13, 03:26 AM
Geeze how corrupt is this city? Did the last times player's do nothing to clean it up?

Either way, if you ever need non-adventurering supplies like food and clothes, feel free to drop by the Endoss Emporium. Sewari will be pleased to aid you in anyway she can.

I resent that allegation!

I initiated the plot hook to destroy the Jacks, the city's largest criminal organisation with ties to the nobility.

I played an important part in reinstating a noble to her position and saved her from her insanity.

I have tried to remove the evil influence of the Hobgoblins that have taken over the Slums and bring vile sorceries into our streets... *winks at Hustler*

And a small series of other acts of charity and all that which have improved life in the city in my opinion. But you cant build a house without cutting down some trees if you get my poin!

Morithias
2012-11-13, 03:35 AM
You see this is why the "Grimoire of the Rift" campaign would never work in real life.

Whenever someone asks you "Would you like to live in a D&D World" you're always imagining yourself as the high-level fighter or mage, not the level 1 commoner. It's the same reason why Ferris Bueler's Day Off works as a movie (even though I personally don't like it).

If you can't sleep in an inn without endless worry of being robbed, you're still, or sign a contract without a clause to put you in a torture mine. This city is hell.

Seriously life for a level 1 commoner must be nothing short of hell in this city. Why do I see myself attempting to burn this city to the ground in the future and on a personal level feeling no remorse about ruining the campaign and STILL being willing to argue "It was for the greater good"?

Edit: I'm just saying, every other post in a game shouldn't be making me think "you know I really should have made this woman neutral evil instead of neutral good, that alignment would fit the city so much better."

TheFallenOne
2012-11-13, 03:41 AM
I'm not sure there are first level commoners in the first place, except people who haven't reached adulthood yet.

The "average" citizen is around level 6 to 10. You're generally no more important that any other person in the city.

Monodominant
2012-11-13, 03:41 AM
Burning the city to the ground would mean everything my character has worked for is ashes. Hence consider that should this become your plan and somehow it becomes known you may get a visit ;)

Anyway, I think Aldhaven is like any other Medieval city. Life for commoners has always been (and always will be) hell. From the oppresive watch to the self-appointed nobles who rule via might and their lackeys, down to the thug that robs you of your livelihood.

The only difference in DnD is that you might not die from disease or a battle wound if a cleric has a spell slot to spare.

Morithias
2012-11-13, 03:52 AM
I suppose...

Edit: HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

If everyone in this city is level 6 plus, where do my cohort and followers come from? What am I leading around a bunch of child slaves?

Edit 2: Ignore that. I've decided this game isn't for me. It's just not my type of setting and game. I think I make a better DM than player anyway, and with this game and extreme paranoia off my head, I'll have enough focus to DM another game. Nice playing with you, but this just isn't for me. This game is just...too complex...too much focus, and paranoia, and really when a game makes me break out in sweat and anger, out of stuff that hasn't even happened...will it's just not for me.

Enjoy your game. I'm going to start up another game.

Edit 3: No I have no problems with the DM or anything of that nature. I just feel like a star trek fan watching star wars, or a romantic comedy lover watching horror. It's just not my thing. I can tells it's a great campaign for those who enjoy it, but there's a reason 30 year old males don't read Twilight. (Of course this campaign`s writing is FAR above twilight, it`s just 430 am and I couldn`t think of a better metaphor)

hustlertwo
2012-11-13, 07:31 AM
You just have to embrace the horror. Know that your character almost certainly will die, and just enjoy the time before they do. I enjoy Wilstaff immensely and will do what I must to prolong his life, but if some villainous Skulk serial killer (a wink back at ya, Mono my man) decides to put a knife in his back tomorrow, he's accomplished a pile of things, and I've had a lot of fun. That made the journey worth taking. Besides, what D&D game is really about getting to the end?

Monodominant
2012-11-13, 08:15 AM
This game is what you make of it.

Hence I am suprised at your comment Morithias.

We have had merchants, traders, architects, artists and all shorts of characters go through the city and each was given what they wanted. Rizbans primary character was a merchant-artisan that on occasion did adventuring mostly to fund his workshop but cared mostly for the trade and guildlife other than that. Another PC I am DMing has not been in a fight yet and he is around for almost a year... he has so far gained a cohort, got an ally in the University, accidentally cause issues to a major evil organisation that was subsequently taken down due to his action but with no knowledge of his own and a series of other 'adventures' that are more down to earth...

So I have DMed people that joined the guard and are now detectives/corporals etc... I have DMed villains and I am also DMing heroes who try to save others... thats what being in a Sandbox is all about.

Meeting other PCs is accidental at best unless you set your mind to doing something in particular with them or against them. So if you are paranoid that you MIGHT at some point meet a threat then not sure what to say. Anyway its your call but I dont quite follow your reasoning and wanted to ask if you can explain further what you mean...

Plus this is the OOC so there is posturing and all that in here so you shouldnt take it too seriously...

Lokio
2012-11-13, 12:17 PM
The city moves as its players do. I played the Watch detective that ran with a certain individual to destroy the jacks, and despite my PC reaching to the highest echelons of the game, one person isn't enough to stop the madness.

Fact is, most of the successful pcs in Aldhaven either are bad guys, or just don't care. Its fun that way; means those who choose to be good guys have something to fight.

Then again, I don't play Perry anymore for the simple reason that nobody is willing to DM him top tier... But, the point is that you can be incredible successful as a white hat, if you know what you are doing and play smart and... Stay out of the docks at night.

Unless you have an ecalypse. :D

Monodominant
2012-11-13, 02:01 PM
Well actually I was perfectly willing to run Perry... and then you basically disappeared without any notice or bye etc...

Lokio
2012-11-13, 06:24 PM
Well actually I was perfectly willing to run Perry... and then you basically disappeared without any notice or bye etc...

sorry about that man, **** got busy

but by 'top tier' I mean, with the nobles et cetera :)

TheDivineWind
2012-11-13, 07:22 PM
Gotta be honest, I'm just stoked I've actually gained an undisclosed number of levels in this game as a more-or-less combat build. As much as I attempt to think ahead, I was pretty sure I would turn out as a pile of dust at the wrong end of a ray waaaay before now.

-edit-
for more clarity/obscurity~

Rizban
2012-11-13, 08:12 PM
You see this is why the "Grimoire of the Rift" campaign would never work in real life.

Whenever someone asks you "Would you like to live in a D&D World" you're always imagining yourself as the high-level fighter or mage, not the level 1 commoner. It's the same reason why Ferris Bueler's Day Off works as a movie (even though I personally don't like it).

If you can't sleep in an inn without endless worry of being robbed, you're still, or sign a contract without a clause to put you in a torture mine. This city is hell.

Seriously life for a level 1 commoner must be nothing short of hell in this city. Why do I see myself attempting to burn this city to the ground in the future and on a personal level feeling no remorse about ruining the campaign and STILL being willing to argue "It was for the greater good"?

Edit: I'm just saying, every other post in a game shouldn't be making me think "you know I really should have made this woman neutral evil instead of neutral good, that alignment would fit the city so much better."

Sounds like a completely reasonable outlook based on your thread so far. At the very least, she should have been Neutral Paranoid. Seriously though, the most dangerous thing you've encountered outside of your own paranoia was a woman who hit on you then paid in wooden coins with illusions on them to look like gold after your harshly rejected her advances.

I'm not sure there are first level commoners in the first place, except people who haven't reached adulthood yet.That's fairly accurate. Levels 1-5 are generally reserved for "children" in Aldhaven. In this setting, it's basically assumed you reach level 6 as you enter adulthood. Now, there are a few lower level people, but not many who are adults. I've found that levels 5 to 6 are a good base line for general populace, as they are strong enough to survive getting scratched by a house cat but not strong enough to really change the world yet.

Burning the city to the ground would mean everything my character has worked for is ashes. Hence consider that should this become your plan and somehow it becomes known you may get a visit ;)

Anyway, I think Aldhaven is like any other Medieval city. Life for commoners has always been (and always will be) hell. From the oppresive watch to the self-appointed nobles who rule via might and their lackeys, down to the thug that robs you of your livelihood.

The only difference in DnD is that you might not die from disease or a battle wound if a cleric has a spell slot to spare.

It's also based on the fact that you start off "average" for the setting. You have to earn Hero Of The Story status. Being no different from other people and working your way to the top is very appealing to me and the main reason I designed this game the way I did. I tried to incorporate that with a "realistic for D&D" concept, and I personally am very happy with the way it has worked out.

I suppose...

Edit: HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

If everyone in this city is level 6 plus, where do my cohort and followers come from? What am I leading around a bunch of child slaves?

Edit 2: Ignore that. I've decided this game isn't for me. It's just not my type of setting and game. I think I make a better DM than player anyway, and with this game and extreme paranoia off my head, I'll have enough focus to DM another game. Nice playing with you, but this just isn't for me. This game is just...too complex...too much focus, and paranoia, and really when a game makes me break out in sweat and anger, out of stuff that hasn't even happened...will it's just not for me.

Enjoy your game. I'm going to start up another game.

Edit 3: No I have no problems with the DM or anything of that nature. I just feel like a star trek fan watching star wars, or a romantic comedy lover watching horror. It's just not my thing. I can tells it's a great campaign for those who enjoy it, but there's a reason 30 year old males don't read Twilight. (Of course this campaign`s writing is FAR above twilight, it`s just 430 am and I couldn`t think of a better metaphor)

1) Considering you're running a shop, your low level followers from Leadership would mainly take the form of young adolescent to late teenage apprentices working their way towards their own careers. Keep in mind that in medieval times, and even in D&D, adulthood is considered to begin much earlier than we think it does now. In D&D, human reach Adult at 16 and Middle Age at 35 rather than the 18-21 and 40-45 we think of now. In medieval times, an apprentice would have begun his apprenticeship at age 10 or 11, if not sooner.

2) No offense, but almost all of that paranoia was generated by you, not by the game...

3) Seems reasonable. Good luck with your future games.

You just have to embrace the horror. Know that your character almost certainly will die, and just enjoy the time before they do. I enjoy Wilstaff immensely and will do what I must to prolong his life, but if some villainous Skulk serial killer (a wink back at ya, Mono my man) decides to put a knife in his back tomorrow, he's accomplished a pile of things, and I've had a lot of fun. That made the journey worth taking. Besides, what D&D game is really about getting to the end?

Believe it or not, most players have not died. In general, unless you go looking for trouble, trouble doesn't come looking for you. If you start attacking people or sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, that is when things get dangerous. It's perfectly possible to play indefinitely without anyone trying to kill you. It's just not going to be as much fun. :smalltongue:

TheDivineWind
2012-11-13, 11:02 PM
And now for a case-study in why players die in this game...

Believe it or not, most players have not died. In general, unless you go looking for trouble, trouble doesn't come looking for you. If you start attacking people or sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, that is when things get dangerous. It's perfectly possible to play indefinitely without anyone trying to kill you. It's just not going to be as much fun. :smalltongue:

Thank you class, the test will be this Friday. Here's the study guide. Write me a 2 page essay on what the most common trait among adventurers is and your full reasoning.

Togath
2012-11-14, 01:23 AM
That reminds me, is there a library of some sort in Aldhaven?, My character's here to research a myth he heard, and a library seems like a good place to start his search(and maybe looking around for bards and sages)

Monodominant
2012-11-14, 02:35 AM
You should try and find that out IC... but yes there are 2 'public' libraries in Aldhaven, run by different groups. Best if you enjoy finding out in character who they are etc...

Rizban
2012-11-14, 02:39 AM
There are at least three libraries.

Togath
2012-11-14, 02:57 AM
Aye, I more meant; is Aldhaven the sort of city that might have libraries, or are most villagers illiterate, with only nobles knowing how to read and write. You did answer the question though, and I will eventually work on finding them in IC(just wanted to check ahead of time to make sure they would at least know what a library/archive is)

Rizban
2012-11-14, 05:16 AM
Only classes specified as illiterate are illiterate. The vast majority of people aren't barbarians or totemists.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-14, 08:05 AM
The way I handle it in my game the majority of commoners can't read and write by virtue of the Illiterate trait. +1 Profession is a halfpound of cheese and meat each and 5 loafs of bread per week for them. Sounds like a decent enough deal :smalltongue:

Rizban
2012-11-14, 08:42 AM
Nah, not in Aldhaven. It's a capital city, after all. It would be shameful to have such an ignorant populace. :smalltongue:

Togath
2012-11-14, 02:15 PM
Ah, I'll probably have him ask around the plaza then(once I have time for a post in the IC)~nya

bindin garoth
2012-11-14, 10:00 PM
My character may will be looking for a BSF protection after this.... He could use someone who can take a few hits. Not necessarily a lot though, just enough to delay a foe... I may be jumping the gun with this but because of a few details about my character, he just can't take the risk.

So, anyone up to the challenge?

Rizban
2012-11-14, 10:17 PM
Is it scary that I'm not really sure what he's talking about? :smallbiggrin:

That's part of why this game is so much fun.

bindin garoth
2012-11-14, 10:46 PM
Is it scary that I'm not really sure what he's talking about? :smallbiggrin:

That's part of why this game is so much fun.

...........:smalleek:

I have a feeling that this is the secret DM language for either:
"The worse has yet to come"

or

"Dead PC walking here."

Aldurin
2012-11-15, 01:36 AM

or

"Dead PC walking here."

Well depending on how unlucky you are it could be "Undead PC walking here." And then you get destroyed since your existence is suddenly illegal.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-15, 03:30 AM
Wha? That's vitalism!

Undead - Yes.

Unperson - NO!

Moranica
2012-11-15, 10:13 AM
My character may will be looking for a BSF protection after this.... He could use someone who can take a few hits. Not necessarily a lot though, just enough to delay a foe... I may be jumping the gun with this but because of a few details about my character, he just can't take the risk.

So, anyone up to the challenge?

I could always use new lackeys.

Question 1: Are you a gnome?
Question 2: What is your goal in life?
Question 3: How do you feel about sewers?

HerbieRAI
2012-11-15, 10:55 AM

or

"Dead PC walking here."

Well, I can take a few hits if your still wanting to find the item in a party, I just don't have quite the AC for a full on tank. Hopefully you'll make it to the rendezvous.

bindin garoth
2012-11-15, 11:23 AM
Partying up still sounds good to me! I'm still en route....... let's just say I've encountered a hiccup

Zerter
2012-11-15, 02:47 PM
I am on my way to the meet-up. The enviroment is very friendly and I am making lots of friends. I would like to encourage everyone to try this quest.

bindin garoth
2012-11-15, 03:02 PM
I could always use new lackeys.

Question 1: Are you a gnome?
Question 2: What is your goal in life?
Question 3: How do you feel about sewers?

I did forget to reply. Maz doesn't like to be called a lackey, and may end up playing pranks on you as a result.

1. Gnome? *Raises pitchfork* I'm ready to hunt. :smalltongue:
2. Maz simply wants to.......... Grow his business of sorts..... Can't really say anything else on the subject.
3. Maz would detest the sewers completely. He'd most likely avoid them, except for a job. Even then he'd try other routes first.

Moranica
2012-11-15, 03:10 PM
I did forget to reply. Maz doesn't like to be called a lackey, and may end up playing pranks on you as a result.

1. Gnome? *Raises pitchfork* I'm ready to hunt. :smalltongue:
2. Maz simply wants to.......... Grow his business of sorts..... Can't really say anything else on the subject.
3. Maz would detest the sewers completely. He'd most likely avoid them, except for a job. Even then he'd try other routes first.

I see, then I'm afraid your not yet the lackey Scribly is looking for. Perhaps sometime later.

bindin garoth
2012-11-16, 07:23 PM
I am on my way to the meet-up. The enviroment is very friendly and I am making lots of friends. I would like to encourage everyone to try this quest.

I'm sorry, but due to circumstances out of my control, I will not be able to meet you at the [location X] today. Tomorrow (IC of course) I should be able to get there.

hustlertwo
2012-11-16, 11:52 PM
Admittedly, a lot of people didn't die simply because they stopped playing. Of those people who stuck around the whole time in the game, I imagine precious few didn't have at least one PC death. Even a lot of the game DMs, like Plans and Lokio. And some died several times, like Moranica (though it seems his current PC is sticking around).

Monodominant
2012-11-17, 01:45 AM
My first character died after -winning- his first battle... and that was page 3 of his personal thread I think...

Thats why I made my second one a paranoid lunatic...

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 07:26 AM
Chances of my death are increasing, even though the current encounter goes decently. At least I think there's a good chance my actions will net me an interesting obituary or mention in the Town Crier...

Rizban
2012-11-17, 02:20 PM
My first character died after -winning- his first battle... and that was page 3 of his personal thread I think...

Thats why I made my second one a paranoid lunatic...

Sorry... I didn't mean to kill Ymeo... My character was in the Docks and decided to shoot first, hitting everyone in that combat, and ask questions/provide heals later. I didn't know you were so low on hit points. :smallbiggrin:

Chances of my death are increasing, even though the current encounter goes decently. At least I think there's a good chance my actions will net me an interesting obituary or mention in the Town Crier...

If you survive that fight, I can't wait to see how you handle the next event...

bindin garoth
2012-11-17, 02:27 PM
I survived!......... For now.

Why do I feel like I'm celebrating too early?

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 02:40 PM
If you survive that fight, I can't wait to see how you handle the next event...

I can't wait to see what exactly the event is :smallamused:

Well, the fight wasn't that hard, though the guy had a trick somewhat inconvenient for my build. But I know there are tougher things in store...

Aldurin
2012-11-17, 02:47 PM
I'm starting to lose all understanding of what is going on in this city. It feels like I've wandered into someone else's overly elaborate SNL skit.

hustlertwo
2012-11-17, 03:03 PM
I'm starting to lose all understanding of what is going on in this city. It feels like I've wandered into someone else's overly elaborate SNL skit.

That's not a fair comparison. Aldhaven actually has funny things happen in it sometimes.

The nice thing is you can operate on whatever scale you like. You want to work citywide, do it. You want to just focus on one district, that's fine. You want to focus solely on personal-level work without even aligning to a faction, always an option. You can pretend there's no one else in this game, or interact with a new PC every week. Think about how few games make it past six months on this forum. Think about how many fewer still get any interest if they come back from a long hiatus. Why does this game have no issues with either problem? Because it's not one game. It's pretty much all games. It's a Rorschach test, you see in it what you want to see.

Aldurin
2012-11-17, 04:17 PM
That's not a fair comparison. Aldhaven actually has funny things happen in it sometimes.

The nice thing is you can operate on whatever scale you like. You want to work citywide, do it. You want to just focus on one district, that's fine. You want to focus solely on personal-level work without even aligning to a faction, always an option. You can pretend there's no one else in this game, or interact with a new PC every week. Think about how few games make it past six months on this forum. Think about how many fewer still get any interest if they come back from a long hiatus. Why does this game have no issues with either problem? Because it's not one game. It's pretty much all games. It's a Rorschach test, you see in it what you want to see.

I know, I'm not trying to harp on it. It's just that I'm pretty surprised by the depth and complexity of the place, and the fact that there's enough detail for events to run on their own without a PC being present. I'm just thrown off since I'm encountering some stuff that would never show up in the "PCs are the center of the universe" trope. It's really interesting and allows for an even more convoluted level of paranoia and preparation.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 04:24 PM
What the hell is happening on your end? I think I have to roll a couple Gather Information checks on your guy if I get out of my mess alive... Last post I got was pretty much a cliffhanger.

Aldurin
2012-11-17, 04:53 PM
What the hell is happening on your end?

I don't know, the best way I can describe it is it's the weird cousin of Beavis and Butthead enter Narnia. I just need to get through my current situation before I can safely pull some gather info check and try to find a more stable situation.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:14 PM

I know, I'm not trying to harp on it. It's just that I'm pretty surprised by the depth and complexity of the place, and the fact that there's enough detail for events to run on their own without a PC being present. I'm just thrown off since I'm encountering some stuff that would never show up in the "PCs are the center of the universe" trope. It's really interesting and allows for an even more convoluted level of paranoia and preparation.

Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Moranica
2012-11-17, 06:19 PM
Indeed, the level of paranoiia and number of plothooks are huge!! I never know for sure if I really did tied all loose ends and I'm always afraid of forgetting about this or that plothook that I started.

I might start hiring adventurers (PC or NPC) to help me with that actually. :smallbiggrin:

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:29 PM
When I was playing a character, I kept handwritten notes of all of my own plot hooks. Being that planswalker and Monodominant have helped write so much of this setting, even I don't know everything there is in the city. :smalltongue:

Zerter
2012-11-17, 06:35 PM
Last time I regularly posted a list IC and if applicable much time is left for everything. That way I remind the DM as well as myself (since they usually have tons of PCs) and I make sure we are in sync.

bobthe6th
2012-11-17, 06:38 PM
What I find kinda scary, is the fact most games eat through cities like nothing. World spanning adventure, hell plane spanning adventure is the norm.

Yet, Aldhaven has enough depth to be a full campaign. Just rooting out corruption as a group of guards could be years sessions.

You ever think about codifying and releasing Aldhaven as a setting?

Rizban
2012-11-17, 06:57 PM
You ever think about codifying and releasing Aldhaven as a setting?My girlfriend and I are working on exactly that. I'll probably be setting it up as a kickstarter when we're a little further along on it so we can get a hardcover version published.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 07:45 PM
I think I have a better understanding of the situation now. Also, if Riz is anything like me he must have laughed maniacally at at least one point.

Rizban
2012-11-17, 07:47 PM
You know I did. Twice.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-17, 08:04 PM
We live to entertain.

Gods, this is so gonna make the Towncrier.

Lokio
2012-11-18, 02:31 PM
rizban made evil laughs a thing up in here

Moranica
2012-11-19, 11:00 AM
WOOHOOO!!! Awesome stuff happening in my game. I'm at a crossroads again! :smallbiggrin:

bindin garoth
2012-11-19, 08:50 PM
Hmmm....... I've hardly done anything and I'm already almost dead......

Reminder to self. If I die, make a more durable character...... :smallfrown:

Togath
2012-11-20, 03:08 AM
I'm really enjoying the game so far myself as well...though I have had a more slow paced experience then some of you guys from the sound of it(haven't been in a combat yet, and have only used attacks/abilities for making money). He may have a plot hook start soon, if things go well, would it be appropriate for him to post a message at Aldhaven inns advertizing his need of someone knowledgeable about local lore/legends or someone who knows about things such as caves, hidden passages, and other underground structures in Aldhaven?

Rizban
2012-11-20, 03:10 AM
You can post anything you want anywhere you want. It just may not always make people happy or be entirely legal to do... :smallwink:

If you want to post a notice with the Town Crier, it just costs a little bit of coin to get a message up.

Shmee
2012-11-20, 05:44 AM
Hi everyone, just got my character accepted. I've been hearing about this game from several players for quite a while, and got convinced to give it a try. Hopefully I'll survive long enough to have some wacky misadventures.

Moranica
2012-11-20, 10:12 AM
Welkom to the Brag-about-your-succe.....-OMG-I'M-DYING thread.

bindin garoth
2012-11-20, 10:15 AM

Sounds about right!

On the other hand, one tip. Be paranoid. Very paranoid...... You never know who's dagger is around the corner......

Monodominant
2012-11-20, 10:36 AM
Well actually Moranica DOES know whats coming around the corner... its there now... all he has to do is go outside and look.

Moranica
2012-11-20, 11:07 AM
I don't wanna......

For some reason I decided to lay low in a place where my main method of escape DOES NOT WORK.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-20, 11:29 AM
Hm, I've gone a surprisingly long time without a fight considering where I am and what I'm doing there. I'm not entirely sure this is a good sign...

Ulm11
2012-11-20, 12:41 PM
Is it a bad thing that all this talk has made me want to look for a way to turn my characters body into a living bomb so that when eventually he dies in either glories battle or bloody betrayal the subsequent explosion will destroy everything in a block radiance?

bindin garoth
2012-11-20, 01:47 PM
Hm, I've gone a surprisingly long time without a fight considering where I am and what I'm doing there. I'm not entirely sure this is a good sign...

Don't worry! They're watching.........

They always are...

:smalltongue:

Moranica
2012-11-20, 01:51 PM
Not true. Sometimes they act, and when they do you wish they were just watching.

Shmee
2012-11-20, 02:49 PM

Sounds about just like most of the campaigns I've played in. Although this is the first time I'm playing 3.5E

Somehow I doubt that I'll be able to top off my greatest achievement: having the group bring down Heaven's Judgment for threatening to undo creation... and being the only one to escape Judgment and be deemed innocent on the grounds that my character was an idiot.

Rizban
2012-11-20, 04:28 PM
Is it a bad thing that all this talk has made me want to look for a way to turn my characters body into a living bomb so that when eventually he dies in either glories battle or bloody betrayal the subsequent explosion will destroy everything in a block radiance?

That sounds familiar. :smallbiggrin:
It's been done.

Monodominant
2012-11-20, 05:01 PM
That bastard almost got me... unlucky for him evasion works wonders!

Rizban
2012-11-20, 11:58 PM
It is pretty funny that Ismael almost died from killing someone.

Monodominant
2012-11-21, 03:19 AM
*grumble grumble* I was at single digit hit points... that and the shifter Plans threw at me are the two closest calls I have had with Ishmael.

Rizban
2012-11-21, 03:53 AM
Which shifter was that?

Togath
2012-11-21, 03:56 AM
Is it wrong to feel a bit nervous about the guard at the shop my character is trying to fence some stolen goods at?, I don't think he's dangerous to me, but my character only has a basic weapon(a dagger) with him currently.

Monodominant
2012-11-21, 05:54 AM
He was "The Nose". The Jack in charge of security at their main base.

Moranica
2012-11-21, 06:05 AM
Am I going to die?

Monodominant
2012-11-21, 06:33 AM
Its really up to you Moranica... you first hit the wasp nest and then you just kept your prisoner (someone important enough that the organisation would seek to retrieve) out in the open with no protection versus divination when you know they use it often...

Dont be suprised when the wasps bite back!

Moranica
2012-11-21, 06:39 AM
I know.... :smallbiggrin: It was definatly worth it, even though it meant losing my home. :smalleek:

I'll just try and get an idea of how big a wasps they are, maybe allow some friends to escape and then run as well if needed.

TheFallenOne
2012-11-21, 06:41 AM
I wonder if you are in bigger trouble than me... I think what I'm doing is more dangerous than entering the docks at night, but I might be wrong. Care to weigh in, Riz? :smallamused:

Rizban
2012-11-21, 07:44 AM
I wonder if you are in bigger trouble than me... I think what I'm doing is more dangerous than entering the docks at night, but I might be wrong. Care to weigh in, Riz? :smallamused:

Not. Even. Close.

Oh, you have just barely scratched the surface of danger. You're going for a merry stroll through the park right now

TheFallenOne
2012-11-21, 07:51 AM
Oh, I know. What I meant is that this park I'm in has no exit that isn't named 'Avenue of Impending Doom', 'Gate of Horrific Demise', 'Here be Tarrasques' or similar.

Or maybe it does. I never expected to still be alive some days after this, but if I misjudged the threat level I won't complain.

Monodominant
2012-11-21, 07:57 AM
I believe Rizban means that if its cant one-shot you its not dangerous enough.

If you have a chance and can fight and survive for a few rounds then its obviously not that danger. The danger is in unexpected oneshot/two shot attacks.

Moranica for example will soon learn the meaning of pain... but its not as dangerous still... :D