PDA

View Full Version : Something Wicked this way Comes...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Mr. X
2013-06-20, 12:44 AM
Alyss screws up, and chews on her face,

"... Brew keeps only whist it's hot... If'n ye can keep it from coolin', should be good."

LordDice
2013-06-21, 01:19 PM
"I don't see us being able to make it all the way to Deep Mote with a still steamin pot o' stew..."

"I think we best just get on our way and get the news out as soon as possible"

Mr. X
2013-06-23, 08:29 AM
Turning away from the witch's hut, the ground suddenly shifts... An ever-so-slight vibration that only a dwarf would ever notice, but there none the less...

For Doilin:

You feel your hackles rise... This was how it started in Beluvah...

A moment later, the earth warps... It doesn't so much crack open, as much as vibrate up to an almost fluid and rippling frequency, as it swirls and muddies to make way for the figure that rises up from the depths... Seven feet tall, and only humanoid in the vaguest sense, its body made up of shifting stones, mud, dirt, and gravel, the elemental turns its featureless face towards the party...

For All:

Anyone who would like to roll initiative, may do so at this time.

For Karazi:

You recognize Sid immediately, and note a crumpled, filthy, paper, protruding from a crack between two of the larger stones making up his chest.

LordDice
2013-06-26, 09:16 AM
Seeing the odd trembles from their newly gained ally he quickly tries to calm the situation "It's just Sid, oh and a message in reply"

Pulling off the note he starts to read it.

Barthac
2013-06-26, 09:31 AM
It took that beastly thing long enough. What's the word, brother?

GiedalCaine
2013-06-26, 01:34 PM
Sid, huh? Given our present circ'mstance, ya mind a wee bit of warnin' next time?

Barthac
2013-06-26, 01:58 PM
Taalkar eyes Dolin with a raised eyebrow, A squirelly fella, ain'cha. I never met a dwarf afraid of a pile of rock a'fore

Taalkar turns his attention back to his brother, Read the be-damned note already, would'cha

GiedalCaine
2013-06-26, 02:26 PM
If you'd seen what I had, you'd tremble when the ground does.

Mr. X
2013-06-26, 11:08 PM
The letter reads:

Karazi,

Your news is recieved and accounted for.

The Barbarian horde has maneuvered south of our lands, and so shall be someone else's problem.

The Boy King in Star Spire has managed something his father never did: An alliance has been forged between Star Spire, Timaril, and Great Gate, and all three cities are now marching on Beluvah.

I don't know how he managed to get Great Gate and Timaril to stop going for each other's throats, but he did, and the Mountain King has decreed that Deep Mote shall join the assault.

The army is marching already as I write this. We'll be at Beluvah's gates by the coming of the full moon.

I expect to see you there.

Ironjaw

For all:

The moon will be full in about eight days. It will take you at least three days travel to get back to Beluvah.

If you have any logistical questions regarding the various cities, the relative sizes of their armies, politics, etc., feel free to ask.

LordDice
2013-06-27, 12:59 PM
Reading the note carefully he grimaces a bit "They are marching on Beluvah...and likely don't even realize how badly this can go with those things knowing everything after a single bite"

"We've got to intercept them before they engage and figure something out I guess. This is going to go bad quickly..."

Passing them the note so they can each read it as well before turning to Sid and muttering in Terran "by the Underlord it's good to have ya back...just not the same without you around"

Barthac
2013-06-27, 02:20 PM
Agreed, but we will have to be careful in the hills. We almost got bit ourselves last time they jumped us.

LordDice
2013-06-28, 06:18 PM
"Okay enough jawin ...Lets go and intercept our brothers from the Mote before they lose too many to scouts and give away everything they know"

"I'll use a few tricks to cover us as we move through, hopefully it should be enough"

Back in Travellin mode spellwise, using Pass without a Trace during the days and Woodshape and Stone shape to make makeshift shelter to keep safe from the weather without fire (not to mention anything the Survival roll gives whilst travelling)

Survival [roll0]

GiedalCaine
2013-06-30, 11:24 AM
It's been awhile since I've been anywhere but Beluvah. Do the fella's up in Deep Mote still maintain mining tunnels to the southeast, or did those get abandoned with the others that went dry?

Doilin thinks for a moment,

If those tunnels are still there, it's likely they'll use them fer a shortcut. Come up in a border town somewhere in the middle perhaps? If we march straight to Beluvah it's likely we'd cross their path, the question is would we get there before or after them.

LordDice
2013-06-30, 11:47 AM
"Aye not as abandoned as you might think though, they got a good bit more use when they found another vein a few years back only a few miles off the end of that line"

"So they're fairly well kept up all the way to Stonethatch quarries, and decent roads coming out of there for them to march on, aye that's the way they'd head for sure. They're probably just coming out of the tunnels now and a route towards Beluvah would see us intercept them in 2 days. I figure they're going to be moving slower along those roads"

"We'd be meeting up with them at least two days march from Beluvah at least, plenty of time to change some plans"

Mr. X
2013-07-06, 04:58 AM
Karazi now well accustomed to creating weather shelters, and with the added aid of Quickblade's bearskin blankets, the party makes good time departing Slaver lands, and heading towards the paths out of the Stonethatch Quarries, and the Southeastern boarder of Dwarven lands.

As expected, you crest the final hilltop to find the Dwarven host stretching nearly as far as the eye can see along the road from Stonethatch below...

The sight is enough to make any dwarf's chest swell with pride... Three hundred thousand strong if there are a dozen, the host below is a veritable sea of rippling steel and granite. The earth itself rumbles under the beat of the measured footfalls of thousands upon thousands of dwarves, all in perfect time with the beating of the war-drums. Scattered throughout, great wagons, drawn by teams of stout ponies, are laden with the ornate chests that lessen the weight of the great cannons that make up the Dwarves' arsenal.

Across the host, one can see the blazing banners of clans great and small, young and old, and ancient... One of the great virtues of your people is that, while politics are complicated, and rival maneuvering and undermining is almost continual between clans, when the Mountain King says 'March', the dwarves march as one. And like the avalanche, none can stand before them.

... It is with some small chagrin that Karazi and Taalkar note the Silver Hammer of the Noraten clan flying among all the rest, but without their presence, there is no one to bear the Falgen standard.

LordDice
2013-07-07, 11:28 PM
"Beautiful sight isn't it ! so many ready for battle...we better get down there and report what we've found before it ends up a massacre though"

"Sid, lead the way...and look sharp !"

Asking a few folks as they approach the main body they make way for Ironjaw to give their report

Mr. X
2013-07-09, 02:38 AM
Scrambling down the hill, the party merges with the body of the host.

When asking for Ironjaw, you are directed to the command line, and oddly, directly to the Feild General's carriage.

Simple and utilitarian, save for the general's mark of status on the side, you are ushered in to find Ironjaw sitting alone within, pouring over maps and reports.

He looks up as the door opens, and greats you with a wide grin.

"There ye are, you louts!" He shouts as you clamber in.

"Bleeding hells, you two look awful. An' you..." He says, turning to Doilin, "... Must be crazy or desperate, if you're hangin' 'round these two. Ha! Greetin's."

He arches back, trying to stretch out in the now cramped carriage.

"Ye know your corroded escapades have gone an' gotten me promoted. Seems the King noticed the fact that all the significant information on recent happenin's was Comin' from me, thanks te you." He rubs the brass general's star pinned on his shoulder, looking somewhat abashed and uncomfortable with its presence, "An' he put me in charge of this whole bleeding operation... I'll tell ye, it's a nightmare just tryin' to get everyone put to bed at night, much less gettin' them marchin' again in the morning, and to say nothin' o' keepin' them fed."

He harumphs loudly before digging in his pocket, producing two triangular brass badges, and tossing them to Karazi and Taalkar.

"An' it's trouble that you two are gonna help me deal with. Skipping over all the pomp an' ceremony, you two are now my Liutenants. An jes' watch as the weight slips from my shoulders onto yours. Ha!"

He sits back,

"So what's the latest word from the front, eh? Was that gurilla friend o' yours able to help at all? I imagine he must have his hands full, what with all the refugees running about for the slavers to pick up."

LordDice
2013-07-10, 10:48 AM
Chuckling lightly to himself as Ironjaw finishes up"Well, sounds like we've got a little something to celebrate for a change...and I think you'll be joining us for a few rounds after you hear this"

Taking a deep breath as he tries to figure out the best way tell him, only to blurt out "They're dangerous, they eat...and they learn"

Stopping himself he tries to make it sound...reasonable
"Quickblade had access to a Witch of sorts, we'd noticed the enemy troops were all infected, or hosting some kind of fungus throughout their bodies."

"Taking a head to the witch we got some information out of the head, and one mind boggling bit of information. She made some sort of stew....by the Underlord below it was horrible, but it let me see something..everything.

"I'm still piecing together what it meant, but the biggest thing I could gather is when they eat something...they learn everything that person or thing knew."

"The goblin we'd taken the head from was just on a scouting mission to eat and see as much as he could, then come back and all they'd have to do is take a bite from him and they'd know everything and everyone he'd eaten"

Holding his head he starts shaking a bit, finally removing his hands a moment later "There's still so much THERE, lifetimes on lifetimes of details...trying to separate out things while remembering is still difficult"

Grimacing and trying to take his mind off the memories he abruptly changes subjects "And as for our former friend there Quickblade...well, he did help us rescue our new friend Dolin here, but we found he's been working with some for the slavers...trying some greater good crap. At least the Witch was helpful"

Mr. X
2013-07-15, 05:22 PM
Ironjaw frowns,

"Damn shame 'bout your friend, but I 'spose wantin' to do right is what makes us all go bad in the end. Still...

The goblin's eatin' whole lives is hard to believe, but you haven't been wrong yet... I'm not sure if'n it changes our approach any..."

He turns his map around so you can see. It shows the armies from Star Spire (Marked as having reached Market, and traveling North along the road to Beluvah), Timaril (Should have reached Ork Watch by now, and will proceed East along the road, passed Stone Watch, to Beluvah), Great Gate (Traveling through the southern planes passed Clearwater, then North along the pilgrims' road to Beluvah), and Deep Mote (In the mountain passes on the Southeastern edge of Dwarven lands, traveling South to Beluvah).It also has the barbarian horde's last reported position marked (on the road north of Ork Watch), and a guesstimate of their route (probably passed Ork Watch to Stone Watch, and then on the road Eastward to Beluvah.)

"... If'n this works, we're looking at the strongest unified force the continent has ever seen... Likely over a million souls marching to war, all told.

'Goblin's were bloody fools to bust up the Holy City. Like as not, there weren't nothin' else that coulda got the cities to work together like this.

What'd you all think, eh?"

LordDice
2013-07-17, 07:20 AM
"Well, we'll have one hell of an army... we're just going to have to adjust for them potentially knowing our major troop movements"

"How's the logistics for it shaping up ? This many troops we're gonna have some issues I'd think, at least if the city doesn't fall to us immediately"

GiedalCaine
2013-07-17, 10:00 PM
Doilin waits for an opportunity to speak up, not wanting to intrude on official military matters.

Beggin' yer pardon sir, but have ye had any skirmishes wit' the enemy? Any scouts that have gone missing or any engagements at all? If the bloody things got ahold of anyone who knew anythin' of troop comp'sition, supply lines, hell even the layout of yer camps we may not be looking at a straight on engagement.

They seem to have allies or abilities that could allow them to spring up right from beneath us. At least that's what happened in the city.

Mr. X
2013-07-19, 02:06 AM
Ironjaw frowns...

"Come te think of it, I have lost a few... Hardly unexpected when marching into enemy territory... But if'n they learn everythin' a man knows from e'ttin' 'im..."

He sits back grimly, "... Hells..."

He sits forward suddenly, grabbing a quill and paper, and starts scribbling orders furiously...

It's apparent that he's issuing new scouting orders; informing all that the direction of approach shall be shifted southward, out of the mountains, and onto the northern planes, and that the wave of scouts explore this new approach and its surroundings, with others pushing around north to ensure they aren't flanked.

... Looking at the map, the approach he describes is somewhat disturbing... It gives up the high ground, and passes through at least three points where the column could be easily ambushed...

... (Actions?)

LordDice
2013-07-21, 11:33 AM
"Can't say I'm really sure about this idea, they're still going to have normal scouting techniques as well as their extra knowledge from eating our own"

"It just seems like we could be caught out rather bad with this new plan....unless you plan to let these orders filter through the ranks until it's common knowledge amongst the enemy, and change plans yet again at the last minute"

Mr. X
2013-07-21, 01:26 PM
Ironjaw chuckles, and puts a finger conspiratorially to his nose.

"Heh, now yer catchin' on. Lies an' misinfermation are the meat an' mead o' situations like this."

He sits back.

"T'ain't the first time I've had te deal with my scouts gettin' caught an' questioned... An' fer now, the enemy's method might even be to our advantage...

See, I ain't actually gonna issue orders for the column to change course now, an' when I do, it'll be a late play to err Northwards... 'Till then, the scouts can believe whate're I tell 'em, an the enemy will do the same, as they'll know for sure 'at they ain't bein' lied to..."

He takes a deep breath,

"In the mean time, any scouts as do come back will still have relevant informaition, so we'll stay a step ahead regardless...

He glances at Doilin,

"Providin', of course, that it isn't too late already, an' we have 'em comin' out from under our beds like ye say they did before..."

He shrugs,

"It's a chance we'll have to take."

Mr. X
2013-07-23, 03:02 AM
After months of always being on the move, with your very survival often dependent upon your speed and your ability to remain hidden, marching with the Dwarven Army is almost unspeakably dull... Marked by that itching feeling of being naked... With such great numbers, the force is slow, and nigh impossible to hide.

With each step bringing you closer to the once Holy City, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that, if they have any meaningful scouting force, the enemy knows you're coming... All that remains is to see where they choose to do battle.

With that in mind, you take some solace in the fact that a number of your own scouts have indeed gone missing, their heads filled with Ironjaw's lies... The questing being to wonder if the goblins shall believe the evidence of their own eyes, or that of their own minds...

A steep gamble no matter how you play it.

But the dice have been cast, and with each passing day the tension rises in anticipation of where they might fall...

More to come tomorrow. Bed is calling me, I'm afraid.

Mr. X
2013-07-24, 04:26 AM
On the coming of the appointed day, you crest the last hill, and break free of the tree line overlooking Beluvah... You are not immediately set upon by ravening hordes, and so, for the time being, at least, it appears Ironjaw's ruse has worked.

Your position in the high Northern foothills holds a commanding view over the walls of the Holy City, the smoldering ruins within, and the fields before them.

To the south, you can see the approaching forces of Star Spire. A great host, equal in size to your own, marked by the glittering mail and fluttering banners of the Silver Horsemen, and even the banner of the crowned steed, showing that the Boy King himself rides with the force.

But...

From the West, a great, gaping void of empty fields lie where should be assembled the forces of Great Gate and Timaril... Each alone expected to be near as large as yours and Star Spire's combined...

Perhaps they were delayed...?

But your commanding position gives a good view of the various approaches... If they were even yet a day or two away, you'd be able to see them...

But there is no sign upon the horizon...

LordDice
2013-07-24, 03:52 PM
Giving a light nudge to Ironjaw's elbow as they overlook the battlefield "So...this is all some cunning plan where even we didn't get to know their true movements....right ?"

Mr. X
2013-07-24, 04:02 PM
Ironjaw's jaw is all but hanging on the ground.
"... If'n it is, nobody told me..."

He picks up his jaw, and tugs agitatedly at his beard.

"Gods, where in the hells are they?! Ye don't just misplace a million bloody swords!"

LordDice
2013-07-24, 04:07 PM
"Not to argue the point...but it certainly seems like we have indeed managed it"

"We should send out some fast scouts on their general path, if they were intercepted we might still be able to assist."

"Of course if they just never came, or marched straight for Deep Mote and the Spire in some horrifying piece of treachery. Well, there's not a lot we can do"

Mr. X
2013-07-24, 04:25 PM
"Yeah... I'll do just that. In the mean time, you three get your arses over to Star Spire's host, an' see if'n they know any more 'an we do."

LordDice
2013-07-24, 04:27 PM
"Aye, I'm sure they'll be nice and happy over there"

Spuring his horse forward with the others they quickly trot on over to the host of the Boy King.

Mr. X
2013-07-25, 03:12 AM
Behind you, the Dwarven forces are already beginning to form up, and begin unloading the cannons and setting up fortifications to lay in their camp.

The field between you and the host of Star Spire is wide, and without cover. However there are no enemies in sight, and the walls of Beluvah are yet fairly far off.

As you cross, you can see that Star Spire is likewise organizing their position.

Their camp is being set up on a high rise, the closest thing to high ground the southern planes will provide.

As you approach, a pair of sentries ride out to meet you. At a glance, they are solid soldiering stock, but no one of any significant rank.

"Hail and greetings from the Silver King! What news from Deep Mote?"

LordDice
2013-07-26, 07:01 PM
"We've been sent by General Ironjaw with news, can you point us the way to where your command post is being setup ?"

Mr. X
2013-07-28, 02:24 AM
The first soldier nods.

"The King has been expecting you. We'll take you to him."

-----------------

You are led into and through the veritable city of tents that is taking shape upon the hilltop.

As you are led past rising tents, cavalry pickets, weapon caches, and ration wagons, you sense an uncertainty in the host, and hear the grumblings of growing uncertainty amongs the men...

... The significance of Timaril and Great Gate's absence is not lost upon them, and there is a certain fear that they may have marched all this way just to be slaughtered... You catch a few snippets of interesting conversation as you pass...

"... An ye' heard what the Dragonborn said, we'll be outnumbered ten te one! An them as was with 'im dinnae seem the sort te be taken lightly..."

Another...

"... Aye, ye may have the right o' it. But the King, fer all 'is youth, has got the right o' it too. They burnt the bloody Seat o' the Gods! If'n we don't stop 'em here, they'll jes keep spreading. They say they'd've taken Sandy Shoal already if not for the Godsent bein' there te stop 'em on the sea."

Another...

"Truth that is, but I'll tell ye, that lot gave me the willies. The Dragonborn stood a bloody head an' shoulders o're Sir Torman, an he's one o' the biggest men I've ever seen. Him an that kid with the sword... I ain't even gonna talk 'bout how mind blowin' that sword was. But the kid was just a little shrimp o' a thing walkin next te the Dragonborn. But I know me way 'round a sword, an' I'll tell ye', I could tell that kid was fast just watchin' 'im walk... An those to weren't nearly strange as the other three... Their prisoner, or some such, was a tribal, plane as day, his head shaved an' tattooed, an bound waist te neck in iron chains, but walkin' around just like 'e was one o' 'em... The older guy was a wizard. Had te be, but hells... He was walkin' around on a foot that was flayed to the bone, coated in gold, and etched in those weird picture they's always writin'. Gave me the horrors just lookin at it... But the little girl was strangest o' all... Seven, eight years old by the look o' 'er... But I didn't get a very good look, all big eyes and wonderin' innocence... But she had a sapphire big as your eye embedded in her forehead, an one sideways glance gave ye the feelin' she has blood on 'er hands..."

--------------

At length you are brought to the Royal Pavillion, and into the presence of the Silver King.

The Boy-King, Claudus Clay II, sits in his throne along side a number of his councilmen, pouring over maps and papers on a long table set before them. Wearing the polished plate of the Silver Horsemen, he is not a tall boy, but thick and well muscled. His hair is golden, beneath his silver crown, and shows signs of receding prematurely. Still, he is a fairly handsome youth, and he carries himself with the rightful certainty that only the 'pure' nobility can... Despite this, as he argues with his council over tactics, terrain features, supply demands, national diplomacies, and gods only know what else, his brow is furrowed, and his features grim and serious...

Whatever else he may be, this is not a boy at play.

As you are brought into the tent, the soldier announces you.

"Your Majesty, the envoy's from Deep Mote."

The Boy King looks up, and silences his council with a gesture.

He stands formally, gives you a cool once-over before he speaks. When he does, you note his voice carries a certain softness, such as only youth can give, and even cracks slightly, as though it has only just recently changed timbre.

"Greetings to you from The Star Spire. I am Claudus Clay II, ruler of the city.

I appreciate your being here, as I had intended our party to be rather larger that it appears to be."

LordDice
2013-07-29, 10:26 PM
With a short bow and salute he greets the young King.

"Aye Majesty, we're likewise pleased to see you here. The General is definitely wondering just whereabouts our erstwhile allies in this have ended up.

We did learn some disturbing news about the enemies intelligence gathering abilities which may account for this disappearance. It seems if these infected by this fungus eat someone, they quickly learn everything that person did....

A few quick bites up a gruesome supply line and their command knows exactly what that troops been privvy to intelligence wise, where the scouts are deployed and things of that sort.

Have any of your troops been lost to the enemy yet ? they may know details about your position that could prove disastrous.

And while that is most pressing news, finding out what happened to the rest of this joint army is paramount to General Ironjaw, scouts have been dispached already from our forces but the General would welcome any news you've managed to gather"

Mr. X
2013-07-30, 04:14 AM
The Boy King frowns.

"We have indeed lost a number of scouts..."

He pauses seriously for a moment.

"... If what you say about the enemy is true, we will have to adjust our tactics accordingly."

He glances at two of his advisors, both clearly officers of the highest rank, and nods slightly.

The men stand, gathering up sheafs of maps and scouting reports, and take their leave... Presumably to begin immediate work on dealing with this new problem.

Turning back to you, the King states,

"I am afraid I have no word from our absent allies, but it is a long way from Timaril to here, and even further from Great Gate... If they were delayed mid-way on their courses, it is possible that their riders would not reach us until the morrow. I have dispatched riders of my own, but again, I do not expect them to return with any promptness."

He clenches his jaw,

"... It is my great hope that that is all that is amiss.

Regardless, the immediate question is what action we should take during the interim..

We are both of us positioned in sight of the Enemy's walls, and have lost scouts to them. They know we are here, and it won't be long before they know how vulnerable we are, and take action to press their advantage."

He glances back at his council.

"... Many of my advisers would have me sound the retreat, and abandon this cause as lost...

But..."

He chews his lip,

"... The Lords of Timaril are proud, and the King of Great Gate is anxious to take a slight. Both believe they have the strength to defeat the Enemy alone, and on their own terms, and they despise each other. I believe the only reason they agreed to come at all, was to prevent the other from holding the honor of taking the first blood from the enemy.

Should I retreat, both cities shall take offense, and this alliance shall crumble..."

You've got to give it to him, the boy's got strength, but the pressure is clearly starting to mount...

"I have it on reliable authority that the Enemy numbers far in excess of my own host, and even our two combined...

But I intend to hold my ground, at least until word from our allies arrives."

Barthac
2013-07-30, 01:06 PM
Pardon me your most vaultedness but if yer plan is to hurl insults from range, Taalkar briefly pauses with an impish grin, well let's just say that we dwarves excel in that area.

He continues on, The Great General Ironjaw has sent scouts along to find some trace of the missing host. A million or so swords don't go lost without some trace. In the meantime, bringing our armies closer together may prove for an easier defense. We dwarves are notorious for building strong defenses in the field and deep mote is better than most dwarf.

Mr. X
2013-07-30, 10:01 PM
The Boy King gives a reserved smile, but you can tell that he is pleased.

"If your General is willing to stay the course, I would be most grateful."

He turns back to his table, and returns with a map of the local terrain, and indicates the area where the dwarves are setting up.

"... While the rise your host is positioned upon is ideal, it is not large enough to hold both our armies..."

He indicates his own position.

"... My own position could hold his both, but it is a fair ways away... If you would be willing to join us here, I believe it would be most ideal, though the gap to cross is wide and vulnerable..."

He pauses, before indicating a third location, midway between the two camps...

"... There is a slight rise here, wide enough to hold is both, and facing the right direction... But the ground is not that high, so we'll be giving up some of our advantage..."

He takes a deep breath.

"... In good faith, I will take whichever position your General deems most worthy for his efforts. Let me know his decision with all due haste, as this action would best be accomplished at once."

LordDice
2013-07-30, 11:16 PM
Nodding after noting the locastions the young King has motioned towards on the map. "Very well, we shall inform the General and return with an answer promptly"

Inclining his head slightly and a somewhat muttered "By your leave" he grabs steers both his brother and Dolin out the door.

Remounting outside they return at a decent clip to bring Ironjaw up to date.

Mr. X
2013-07-31, 09:24 PM
Returning to the Dwarven hillock, you find the camp steadily beginning to take shape. Already base fortifications are being assembled, and in many places the Warwizards are gathering to begin invoking the great rituals that will further alter the landscape to the position's advantage.

The command post is already established, and that is where you find 'General' Ironjaw.

He drops what he's doing as you enter.

"Oy! What's the word?"

LordDice
2013-07-31, 09:37 PM
With a quick salute he starts filling in the General

"Sir, They've no word on our missing allies at all, save for having sent scouts after them as well"

"Since we're kind of separated out here without those other armies he's suggesting we either accompany him upon the rise he's currently occupying, or a smaller rise between us if you're not comfortable."

"Also minor hearsay while we were heading through to his tent, there were mutterings of a repelled attack on Sandy Shoal...turned away on the seas by the Godsent"

Mr. X
2013-07-31, 10:48 PM
Ironjaw nods, taking it all in.

A great table dominates the command tent, itself dominated by a wide map of the local terrain. Ironjaw leans over it, scrutinizing the suggested locales.

"... That midway rise is less than ideal..."

He frowns,

"What of the crossing? Can the army maneuver to Star Spire's position safely?"

Barthac
2013-08-01, 11:41 PM
The crossing is wide and open. We'd be vulnerable to an attack and we can't really move this many louts that quickly.

Mr. X
2013-08-02, 12:57 AM
Ironjaw nods,

"Yeah, I can see that... You've stood on their hill though, is their position worth the risk?"

LordDice
2013-08-02, 06:15 PM
"I think we're gonna get slaughtered if we stay apart, and that rise is the better position. So we don't have alot of choice here, might as well get our asses up there"

GiedalCaine
2013-08-03, 01:06 PM
Doilin, quiet for most of the exchange with a very distracted look suddenly chimes in.

General, 've been watchin' the lads preparing to shore up the defenses. That ritual they're using. I remember studying things like it back at the University. Might the lads be able to cover our crossing with it? Say, shape a corridor for us to approach without so much open terrain? It might take a wee bit to set up and impliment but it'd be safer. Also, do they have anything that might harden the very ground itself? Turn the clay and dust to hard stone? It might do a bit to protect us if they decide to burrow unnerneat' us.

Realizing he may have spoken out of turn he abruptly changes tone.

Apologies, sir, it's just that when it comes to things like soldiers and battles I'm too much a novice. Magical support though, I know a thing or two about.

Mr. X
2013-08-03, 04:34 PM
Ironjaw scoffs,

"Heh, that's a cute idea kid, but ye might as well build another wall around the whole..."

His voice fades out as comprehnsion dawns on him,

"... Holy Hells, we could, couldn't we... HA!"

He grabs a waiting messenger,

"Get word to the wizards. We're bridgin' the gap!"

He turns back to Doilin, smiling,

"You. You jes keep flappin' yer lips whenever ye feel the need. I'll tell ye to shut it if'n ye start botherin' me, but 'till then, I'll take all the advice I can get. Now get yourselves back to his royal runtness, and let 'im know we're comin'."

GiedalCaine
2013-08-03, 09:31 PM
Also, I was pretty distracted afore, but I jus' tho't of a way I can help our scoutin' a bit. I've access ta.. a familiar of sorts one I can send out, see what it sees and hear what it hears. It won't have any knowledge of our orders and can't really be captured and eaten as it doesn't really exist. If ye'd like I can start sendin' it out to get the lay o' the land. Maybe spot our missin' allies.

Mr. X
2013-08-04, 02:10 AM
Ironjaw waves a dismissing hand.

"Heh, do what e're ye like, but don't waste my time with it 'till ye got somethin' worthwhile te show me."

GiedalCaine
2013-08-04, 11:04 AM
Gent's give me a moment before we 'ead back to tha king.

Doilin ducks into an empty tent preparing to draw forth a vestige from the beyond. Tracing a strange sign onto the ground takes a minute or so to get just right and when done, Doilin stands up, ready to invoke the name of the one he seeks.

Malphas, the turnfeather! Lend me your sight and your silence! Come taste of this world with your blackened tongue once again and grant me your power!

From the sigil etched into the floor explodes a furious swarm of doves that all evaporate as they scatter from its center. From their midst appears a handsome elf clad in black funereal clothing. He smiles revealing black teeth and when he speaks his black tongue licks at the air like a snake.

Bargain accepted, world dweller.

Checking to ensure a good pact against DC 15 [roll0]
Doilin selects +2 initiative as his pact augmentation for this pact. Assuming he might run into trouble today he felt it'd be better to be ready and on his toes.

GiedalCaine
2013-08-04, 11:11 AM
sorry for the double post, wanted to make sure the pact was successful before posting the rest
Doilin exits the tent shading his eyes from the sun. His teeth and tongue feel worse for the experience though they suffer no real harm.

Taking a moment to concentrate, a dove suddenly appears on his shoulder. Directing his attention to the horizon the way the approaching allies should be coming from the bird lifts off and begins soaring higher and higher. Hopefully this feathered friend will find something that can be reported to the general sooner then any of his scouts could return.

The bird acts on its own and requires only mental control, no concentration to maintain the effect. Doilin is always aware of what the bird sees and hears. Unlike familiars or other types of 3rd person reporting, doilin doesn't just sense the creatures impression of what it sees, he actually sees through its eyes so the information shouldn't be subject to interpretation errors. The bird must make it's own spot checks (using the base creature of raven for those checks) and listen checks but this would only be to counter things not readily apparent to a birds eye view, such as someone hiding, not necessarily an army marching.

LordDice
2013-08-04, 12:02 PM
"So what are you thinkin you wily ol' rockthumper ?

"We need to get word back to Clay soon, he seemed like he's a little antsy what with our missing allies and all."

Mr. X
2013-08-04, 12:09 PM
For Doilin:

Got it. Carry on, it will be a little while before the bird finds anything.

Also, which army are you going to look for? Timaril should have approached down the road to the West, While Great Gate should have cut across the fields to the SouthWest, passed Clearwater.

GiedalCaine
2013-08-04, 02:45 PM
I don't really have a preference for either. When the bird has gone suffiently far enough that he should have at least found something in one direction, I'll use a round to dismiss him and summon another to send in the other direction. I'll continue this process in different directions til I have something to report. Guess it just depends on how fast the bird moves for how useful this technique will be.

Mr. X
2013-08-05, 09:35 PM
It will take several hours to get the rituals to form a land bridge between the Dwarven host and The 'Spire's, and you take some time to help get everything going, before heading back across the field.

About midway across, Doilin suddenly stops, his eyes unfocusing as he shifts his attention to the sights seen by his dove...

For Doilin:

As your dove takes off, it sees a great deal, but very little of interest... The thick, evergreen, forests of the sloping foothills opening out into the southern plains, the two divided by the highway running between Stone Watch and Holy Beluvah.

Stone Watch is a mess... The twins might have mentioned the state of the city in passing during your recent travels, but seeing is another matter...

A great percentage of the Beluvian refugees came here, and the city is all but besieged by the unwashed rabble... Thousands upon thousands of them...

A dove's eyes are not a hawk's, but still you can see the evidence of recent violence, where riots have risen and been quelled...

... The city gates are closed, and whatever hope the refugee's had for finding shelter here is clearly being denied...

Flying further, the scenery again becomes passive and expected, until, nearly upon reaching Ork Watch, you come upon a sight that, even back in your physical body, stops you dead in your tracks...

... There has been a battle... A great battle...

Tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands lie dead over the fields... All around, you see the broken banners and gore stained shimmering cloaks of the Kights of the Golden Mantle, intermixed with less famous Timarillian soldiering troops, along with the bodies and banners of the foe they fought...

Mixed in with the fallen knights and soldiers are countless orks, goblins, and barbaric men...

... These were not the blighted goblins of Beluvah, these were the northern hordes that smashed Citadel, and, reputadely, came to liberate the Holy City...

Soaring about the battlefield, you can see that a few survivors still wander and muddle about, detattched from their tribes, and looting the dead... Here a goblin gnaws a ring off the finger of a fallen soldier, there the massive hulk of a troll crawls on its arms, searching for its severed legs...

... The dove shys from flying too close, as the area is thick with carrion crows and vultures, but even at a distance, it is apparent how the tides of the battle went...

... The barbarians won, but at devestating cost...

... Timaril's force is doubtless broken, and has retreated back to the city. The barbarian's suffered terrible losses, likely including whatever person or force was holding together such a great host...

... In all likelyhood, whatever remained of the barbarian horde has fractured, and the pieces gone their own ways... Certainly you didn't see them marching in the road to Beluvah.

LordDice
2013-08-07, 04:39 PM
Turning to look at Dolin, oddly paused all the sudden "What's going on...yer little birdy see something interesting ?"

GiedalCaine
2013-08-07, 09:19 PM
Bad news I'm 'fraid. Let's get on to tha king and I'll fill you in.

Doilin pauses for another few moments to dismiss his faithful dove and summon him anew, directing him toward the other missing army.

Mr. X
2013-08-08, 12:21 AM
Again your dove takes wing, this time fluttering Southward towards Clearwater and beyond...

Star Spire's camp has progressively taken shape. Now barricades of sharpened stakes line the outskirts, dotted with short watchtowers manned by archers. So too are the greater engines of war beginning to be assembled. Here and there ballistae and great wheeled catapults are being pieces together, and there, one large siege tower looms over all else.

You are again met by riders as you approach, and escorted directly to the king.

You find him much as you left him, still working away at the situation with his council.

He nods a welcome to you as you enter but gestures you to wait while he finishes issuing is present list of orders, most pertaining to the maintanance of the camp.

When he finishes, he stands and greets you.

"Please, sit and be welcome." He says, gesturing to the now vacant seats at his table. "What has General Ironjaw decided?"

Barthac
2013-08-08, 10:46 AM
The Great General Ironjaw will make the crossing to your camp. We've come up with a way to safely cross the entire army. As for our expected party guests... well I'll let Dolin tell you what he saw

GiedalCaine
2013-08-08, 12:10 PM
Grim news mi'lord. I've 'ad opportunity to do some lookin' on my own and it seems the barbarian 'orde was not content to sit twiddlin' thar thumbs and they waged battle against one of the missing armies. Our ally looked to 'ave retreated knockin' tha 'ead off the 'orde, so ta speak, but it seems apparent they do not mean to join us nor would they necessarily have a force worth much good to join us with if they did.

LordDice
2013-08-08, 08:43 PM
"Gah, Blasted Barbarians, would that we could have held them at Citadel...what a nightmare that was"

Barthac
2013-08-09, 09:55 AM
If that horde wasn't broken by the hosts of Timaril I don't imagine Citadel ever really stood a chance.

Mr. X
2013-08-09, 03:40 PM
The Boy King clenches his fist, sitting slowly back into his throne.

"... Fools... I told them that if the horde was expected to march through their lands, they should have at least been put to use..."

Leaning over the map, he takes the piece representing the host of Timaril and places it back on the central city.

"... But all is not yet lost. If Great Gate arrives, we will still have the edge, having Timaril as well simply would have made us undefeatable."

He takes a deep breath.

"We shall continue to hold our ground, and give them every benefit of the doubt.

Now, unless there is anything else, you must excuse me. This camp will not organize itself, and it requires my attention."

With a nod, he dismisses you.

LordDice
2013-08-10, 04:29 PM
Heading out quickly with the others in tow "I'm sure the general would like to hear of your little birdies scouting as well, we'd best get back to him"

Mr. X
2013-08-11, 02:17 AM
Traveling back and forth between the hosts, and confering with each, has taken most of the day. As you leave the Boy King's command tent, it is to the sight of the setting sun, and the gathering dusk.

Far off, you can see the growing land bridge that the earth shapers magics are creating, as well as the thick mass of the re-mobilized Dwarven host, already marching to your position.

You feel a minor tremor beneath your feet, as another great mass of land warps and rises up to piece itself onto the end of the lengthening bridge...

The Ironjaw will be here on his own a few hours.

Still, the fields remain devoid of threats, and the men of Star Spire appear to be preparing to settle in for the night.

As such, you are directed to the area staked out to hold the Dwarven host, and provided with tents and a meal, if you so desire it.

----------
It takes another hour or so to survey the grounds, and eat (potato stew and herbed beef), and it is well after full dark by the time you finish.

You are just about to head out to meet the Dwarven host, when a high pitched shriek wafts out from the empty planes...

... It comes again a moment later, heard clearer, now that you're listening for it... A woman's voice, wailing softer this time, and broken by intermitent, pain filled, sobs...

Your move.

LordDice
2013-08-11, 09:45 PM
Burping up a bit o' stew as they hear the wailing across the plains "What in the Uncharted Depths is going on out there....Dolin, can ya get one of yer birdies over there and see what's happening ?"

GiedalCaine
2013-08-12, 05:49 PM
Doilin takes a moment to focus his sight onto his existing scout.

I can, but I'm not sure my present one's seen all he can. What's more 'mportant pres'ntly? Finding the missing troops or this woman? I'll leave it up to your call.

LordDice
2013-08-12, 05:56 PM
"Lets just go take a wee look over there then...we should be fine this close to the camps"

Barthac
2013-08-13, 11:59 AM
Wailing in the darkness on a battlefield that will soon see its share of death... I aint got no other place to be.

Mr. X
2013-08-15, 01:45 AM
Another pain filled shriek wells up from the darkness,

"HHEEEELLLLPP!! MEEEEEEE!!!"

There is a distant, animal, growling and snarling that can now faintly be heard as well...

Several men are rallying around, gathering torches and weapons, to form a foray out into the darkness... Whoever that woman is, she hasn't got long...

LordDice
2013-08-15, 07:20 PM
Pulling out his axe and taking a quick jog towards the screaming "Well lets not dally, we don't want to miss any of the excitement"

Mr. X
2013-08-20, 06:37 PM
Slower to take action than them men around you, who eagerly leap to the aid of a potential survivor, you bring up the rear. Passing through the, now erected, spiked barricades, you venture forth from the safty of the camp, and out into the darkness of the open field...

Ahead the darkness shrouds heavy over the torches of the men, and even with the aiding lights, you can see well passed the point where they clearly become blind...

And so it is that you see what lies ahead well before they do...

... A long line of the afflicted goblins hides invisible in the dark... You watch as one of them arches its head to the sky, its throat moving in mimicry of some passed victim, as it lets out another pitifully agonized scream...

"PLEEEEEASSSS!!! HEEELLLLP!! MMEEEEEE!!!"

... Even as you pull up, the torchlight falls upon the goblin line and the tide surges forth...

Please roll initiative.

To give you a better picture, there are probably about fifty men with you, and at a glance, well over a thousand goblins.

LordDice
2013-08-23, 02:52 PM
Seeing the horde falling on them quickly he shouts to the humans out there as well as they may not have seen yet "GOBLINS!...FALL BACK

Starting to run back yourself with a quick turn and a short prayer the earth erupts between you and the goblins as Earth Elementals charge into the nearest to slow them down.

"We've got to get back, Run for it boys !"

A few words in Terran to Sid before focusing on breathing ...not used to running like this. "Sid stay safe underground and keep an eye out as we run"

Using the Chronocharm to speed the casting of Summon Natures ally, Small Earth Elementals [roll0] (lets hope for 3 !)

GiedalCaine
2013-08-23, 06:01 PM
Ach! That's a grim trick they've pulled!

Doilin senses the need for concealment and before turning to flee with the others calls on Malphas' aid to become invisible briefly.

Initiative:3 (from other thread's roll plus the +2 pact augmentation I forgot to add)
Invisibility lasts 1 round/effective binder level so six rounds, with a 5 round reuse timer once it wears off. He'll make a break for the camp with the others, but will veer slightly off of their trajectory. Should combat be forced he'll want to be able to use his surprise to get in a flank if possible.

Mr. X
2013-08-24, 10:00 PM
Picking up their feet into a full retreat, the twins hear Doilin spit a curse before vanishing from sight...

At Karazi's command the earth boils and bumps, as the earthen spirits he's conjured work to slow the oncoming tide, and buying precious seconds for those retreating...

Even still, the air is soon torn by the screams of the front most soldiers as they are overtaken and cut down. But their lives serve to give warning, and ahead trumpets sound all across the hill ahead, rallying the army to the defense of the camp...

... But the camp is yet far off, and the goblins are fast...

... Finally gaining the base of the hill, your lead quickly diminishing, another horn blast is sounded from the camp, and a thunderous cry goes up as the tide of steel is unleashed...

The wall of armor and steel rushes down the hill towards you, smashing into the oncoming goblin horde, and plunging the field into the chaos of full battle...

The Map:

Goblins and soldiers alike surge all around you, fighting and dying by the dozens... For simplicity's sake, I am only marking your characters, and the goblins who might take make it to them, on the map.

To indicate their presence, movement shall be treated as passing over 'Difficult Terrain': Your movement rates are halved(1/2), and Balance, Jump, and Tumble DCs are increased by 5.

However, due to the steepness of the hill, your attack and damage rolls shall receive a +2 circumstance bonus when made against opponents who are downhill of you... Attacks made against opponents who are uphill of you shall suffer a -2 penalty on the attack roll only.

Here's the Map:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/image_zpse9929c64.jpg

LordDice
2013-08-26, 01:10 AM
A quick shout in Terran brings Sid to his side, as he takes a step back away from the nearby goblins... amidst the melee there isn't much room to move but he tries to make a little.

Putting his hand on Sid for a moment he concentrates on the feel of the stone, He'd been thinking on how to do this for awhile, trying small pieces of his body at first...but now there was no choice, they were in the thick of the enemy already.

Slowly at first he watches as his skin starts to develop a deep tone of dark obsidian, similar to Sid. Shards of the glasslike rock fill in around his hands and under spots of his armor. It's hard to tell by the end, but the rocky protection seems to encase him even under the armor quite well.

So a 5ft step away, Calling Sid up adjacent for a little protection and using Stone form (woo, first time !) +5 natural armor for him.

Mr. X
2013-08-26, 01:32 AM
For All:

Nice!

Taalkar, it's your turn.

Barthac
2013-08-27, 09:29 PM
HP: 54/54
Readied Maneuvers: Steel Wind, Claw at the Moon, Mountain Hammer, Iron Heart Surge
Active Stance: Stonefoot Stance: +2 to Strength Checks, +2 AC vs. Larger Foes

Taalkar turns and grins wickedly at the goblins. It's choppin' time! he yells, hefting the long handle of axe and wading into the fray.

Take a five foot step towards Goblin 5 and attacks with steel wind (attack two enemies) I will also use Power Attack 3 to convert my axe into a reach weapon. This should let me hit both G5 and G1

Attack on G1
ToHit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Attack on G5
ToHit:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

Mr. X
2013-08-28, 12:08 AM
Taalkar lunges into the fray, his first cut gives the goblin a close shave as it ducks beneath his axe, but the second catches the next in the shoulder, and splits it nearly nape to waist...

Doilin, it's your turn...

Even after Taalkars vicious blow, by some miracle, the goblin still stands... Spurting blood and shrieking in agony and fury, but standing none the less.

(He's got 2hp left.)

GiedalCaine
2013-08-29, 04:48 PM
Tempting fate (and trying to avoid being surrounded, Doilin steps invisibly behind the rearmost goblin and prepares an unexpected strike!

Noting a lack of proficiency with the armaments gifted by his fellows, Doilin falls back on the wooden shiv he escaped slavery with feeling that being more accurate in a heated contest would be more beneficial then the stouter blade of the rapier on his hip.

Attacking G6 from a position opposite his allies (behind it). Attacking from invisibility is against flat footed AC, and allows +2d6 extra damage from Malphas sudden strike ability.

Forgot to try and bind ipos to get rapier proficiency and other bonus' . oops!

To hit:[roll0] base is +5 , -2 for uphill swing
Sudden Strike: [roll2]

Mr. X
2013-08-30, 02:27 AM
Doilin re-materializes to make what should be a lethal blow, catching the goblin from behind, and thrusting the wooden shiv upwards through the tough, barky, fungal growths on its skin, and deep into it's kidneys...

Even so, the goblin is not slowed. Twisting around, almost stumbling in its charge, and bringing up the bizarre, crystalline blade that is grafted onto its arm, leaping at the dwarf, slashing and thrusting madly, and snapping in the dwarf's face with his foul, yellow, but sharp, teeth...

Goblin 6 full Attacks Doilin (having his charge interrupted from behind denies him his highground bonuses for this round.):
Crystalline Arm:[roll0]
--Damage: [roll1]
Bite: [roll2]
--Damage: [roll3]

Two of the horrid things, even so horribly wounded as they are, fall on Taalkar, trying to find a chink in his heavy Stone Plate with their crystaine spikes and teeth...

Goblin 5 Full Attacks Taalkar (uphill):
Crystalline Arm:[roll4]
--Damage: [roll5]
Bite: [roll6]
--Damage: [roll7]

Goblin 1 Full Attack's Taalkar (uphill):
Crystalline Arm:[roll8]
--Damage: [roll9]
Bite: [roll10]
--Damage: [roll11]

All around the goblins rip through the oncoming soldiers of Star Spire... Even uphill, the battle is heavily pitched...

One, and then another makes it all the way through to Karazi, slamming hard into the granite figure...

Goblin 2 Attacks Karazi:
[roll12]
Damage:[roll13]

Goblin 4 Attacks Karazi:
[roll14]
Damage:[roll15]

Karazi, it's your turn.
Since I neglected to give Sid a turn, he may go now, at Initiative 0, and again on your initiative.

LordDice
2013-08-30, 10:13 PM
Cracks spreading out from where the goblin managed to slam into him decently, he reels for a moment before taking a step back, talking in slow, grinding Terran as he murmurs a plea for assistance to the unforgiving earth.

Just before he starts to step back Sid manages to slide next to him and the goblins, slamming into one of them with all the force he can muster.

Just after intercepting the goblin, a giant streak of lightning strikes at the ground next to him.

Trying desperately to keep Karazi protected he steps between them and slams at the abomination again.

So Sid steps in and attacks the one that actually hit Karazi.
Slam [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Karazi takes a step back and casts DC 16 Call Lightning. trying to vaporize that one **** goblin that managed to hit him :P.
Call lightning Damage [roll2]

Sid tries to finish it off if it's still up, or switches to his less capable buddy goblin.
Slam [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

Possible Cleave here so
Attack [roll5]
Damage [roll6]

Mr. X
2013-08-30, 11:59 PM
The Map:

I am afraid I actually had this ready when I made the big post, but forgot to actually post it... Sorry :-/.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/image_zps690b7ac9.jpg

Nice work Sid! Goblin 2 is down, and Goblin 4 is hurting.

... In the mean time, you all watch the wounds you've dealt begin to waxily close and scar over...

All still living goblins recover 2hp.

Taalkar, It's your turn.

Barthac
2013-08-31, 02:09 PM
HP:38/54 AC:19
Readied Maneuvers: Steel Wind, Claw at the Moon, Mountain Hammer, Iron Heart Surge
Active Stance: Stonefoot Stance: +2 to Strength Checks, +2 AC vs. Larger Foes

Ouch... glancing at his arm with fresh teeth marks Now I hafta killya!

Switch to Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage -2 AC{Now 17})

Attacking Goblin 5 using Stone Bones and power attack 3, long axe in non-reach mode.
ToHit:[roll0] (+1 for goblinoids,+2 for high ground,-3 PA)
Damage:[roll1] Punishing Stance:[roll2]

If it hits I gain DR 5/Adamantine for one round.

Mr. X
2013-09-02, 04:20 AM
Taalkar hurls a brutal swing at the goblin arches backward, somersaulting beneath the blade, and escaping with its life.

The warrior's blow skirts crushingly passed friend and foe beside him, slicing the top of the head off another goblin as it charges passed, before burying itself in the thigh of a soldier passing him from behind...

... The man's shriek of surprise and pain is quickly lost as goblins pile onto him, and the battle carries you away...

----------

Doilin, it's your turn.

GiedalCaine
2013-09-03, 08:42 PM
Doilin attempts to position himself further up the hill to level the playing field.

five foot step diagonally up and toward the team

Striking again with his pathetic weapon he curses not grabbing something more hefty when he had the chance.

[roll0]
[roll1]
4 rounds left on invis cooldown

Mr. X
2013-09-05, 02:37 AM
Dancing back, Doilin again lashes out with the crude implement, opening a long cut along the foul creature's arm, that just as quickly begins to close and scar.

Pressing it's advantage, the creature hisses, lunging forward with its crystalline spike...

Goblin 6 attacks Doilin:
[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

... Even as you stagger away from the vicious attack, you nearly trip over the broken haft of a fallen pole axe... In a blind moment, you note that where it is broken off, and the length and apparent weight make it not so different from an urgrosh, such as you trained with as a lad...

... Though the army of Star Spire holds the high ground, the battle is going poorly. Each moment, the forming line is being pushed further back up the hill, and the chaos around you is simply a slaughter.

The men are heavily hampered by the darkness, and every man that falls is one lost. It is quickly apparent, however, that the goblins simply don't stay down... Quickly recoving from nearly any wound that isn't instantly fatal...

The Goblins press their attack:

Goblin 5 Attacks Taalkar:
[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

Goblin 1Attacks Taalkar:
[roll6]
Damage:[roll7]

Goblin 4 Attacks Sid:
[roll8]
Damage:[roll9]

Suddenly, the world is illuminated as a series of fiery explosions rip across the battlefield, so close to the line of skirmish that men and goblin alike are incinerated in the blasts...

... In a sudden instant, you feel your teeth clench and your hackles rise, as the air around you is charged with magic...

... Then the world erupts in flame...

Taalkar and Doilin, please give me a Reflex Save, DC: 16.

If you fail, take damage: [roll10] (Fire).

If you succeed, take half damage. If you have Evasion, or similar, take none.

The Map:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/image_zps4de8b567.jpg

Goblins 5 and 1 (around Taalkar) will be incinerated by the fire ball.

Goblin 6 is burnt badly, but still standing.

Karazi, Sid, and Goblin 4 are outside the blast radius.

Taalkar and Doilin essentially mark the line of skirmish.

The fireball fairly devistates both sides, but hits the goblins harder.

Edit/:Also, as always, all still living goblins recover 2hp.

Karazi, it's your turn.

LordDice
2013-09-05, 09:56 PM
Taking a quick step backwards he sees his brother nearly incinerated like the goblins next to him, pulling out a handy wand he tosses a quick enchantment on Taalkar.

Sid meanwhile smashes at the goblin nearby, still trying to turn him into a gooey paste.

5ft step away uphill, pulling out my wand of lesser vigor and hitting Taalkar with Fast healing 1 for 11 rounds.

Sid smashes at Gobbo 4
Attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Mr. X
2013-09-06, 01:11 AM
For Taalkar:

Diving to the ground you manage to evade the worst of the magical blast, and as you struggle to your feet amidst the clearing smoke and scattered fires, the battlefield seems almost quiet for a moment...

Behind you, you hear a shriek as Sid rips the arms off a remaining goblin, while down the way Doilin still struggles against another...

... But through the mists, the goblin horde surges forth, and the men of the army are yet dazed and disordered from the blasts...

If they cannot be rallied, you will surely be overrun.

(Taalkar, It's your turn.)

Barthac
2013-09-09, 06:54 PM
Taalkar notices the disorder and confusion in the crowd. This is really more of his brother's expertise. He picks up the goblin limb that Sid conveniently removed and holds it high (as high as a dwarf can) so it can be seen by everyone.

They are only goblins! he screams, We can kill them!

Not getting the reaction he wants he continues, stammering slightly, We can defeat them, here, today. If we fail, nothing is left to stand between them and your homes. But by Moradin's hammer we will not fail today. We will drive them back to the hell that spawned them and take back the city.

He tosses his long handle axe into air with a flourish and catches it neatly on his shoulder.

Are you coming with me or do I have to take all the glory?

Mr. X
2013-09-09, 09:24 PM
As Taalkar speaks, thunder rumbles in the distance, as if the gods themselves lend credence to his words. When he tosses his axe in its whirling arc, a brilliant flash of lightning streaks from the heavens, striking the spinning blade, and illuminating the battlefield bright as day...

... The deafening blast of thunder that follows all but levels the battlefield...

All this merely accentuates your words. And as the weapon falls, caught neatly in your grasp, divine power coursing up your arm, the ringing in your ears gives way to the roaring battle cries of the men as they charge forwards, locking shields in filing rows, and presenting the enemy with a solid wall of steel, as sheeting rain begins pouring from the heavens.

After that, the tide turns. The flood of blighted goblins is held at the shield wall, and bare minutes later, the cavalry arrives... The Silver Horsemen, finally horsed and organized, smash into the horde from their Southern flank in a fist of gleeming mail and shattered lances...

The goblins die by the hundreds, and before long they disperse... Disappearing back into the darkness of the field, and, presumably, back to the safty of the fallen Holy City.

Congratulations. You have survived the first night.

All gain 1500 exp.

Taalkar, your Pole Axe gains the 'Shocking' and 'Thundering' special qualities.
(Described Below). You might consider naming it.

Shocking
Upon command, a shock weapon is sheathed in crackling electricity. The electricity does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given. A shock weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of electricity damage on a successful hit.

Thundering
A thundering weapon creates a cacophonous roar like thunder upon striking a successful critical hit. The sonic energy does not harm the wielder. A thundering weapon deals an extra 1d8 points of sonic damage on a successful critical hit. If the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×3, add an extra 2d8 points of sonic damage instead, and if the multiplier is ×4, add an extra 3d8 points of sonic damage. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

Subjects dealt a critical hit by a thundering weapon must make a DC 14 Fortitude save or be deafened permanently.

Karazi, owing to the stormy weather, until further notice your 'Call Lightning' ability will deal 3d10 damage per strike.

You may begin taking actions as the battle dies down.

LordDice
2013-09-11, 02:32 PM
Looking in awe at the newly empowered axe and Taalkar holding it, just dazed a moment.

"Okay, next time I decide to go wander out in the darkness, somebody stop me...man that was a horrible idea !. Lets head back to camp already, it'll only get worse tomorrow.

Dolin, maybe pick up some armor and weapons, there's plenty...it ain't doing these guys any good anymore.

Feeling his own aches and pains he waves the wand of vigor around a few times, trying to alleviate some of the worst bits.

Actually just hitting myself with a lesser vigor, should top me off.+1 for Taalkar as i think he'd need 2 to heal completely. Don't think Dolin or Sid got hit did they ?"

Barthac
2013-09-13, 02:45 PM
Taalkar flops on the ground, completely spent.

What a night he sighs.

Glancing at his trusty axe and thinking back on the night and the days before, he smiled. Well Sparky, you done good.

Brother, he yells standing up and dusting off his cloak. Let's go find that so called general of ours.

GiedalCaine
2013-09-13, 08:50 PM
Useless.

Doilin grimaces at the roughly carved stick held in his grip.

I've got ta' do better th'n this if I'm ta' be worthy of my love when I find her again.

Doilin turns and follows after the brothers. Grim determination growing in his mind.

Mr. X
2013-09-15, 01:41 AM
Work is slow in the dark and pouring rain, as the army of Star Spire crawls back to camp.

Turning Northward, the party delves again into the night to reconvene with the approaching Dwarven host.

The Dwarves have made good progress... Already the bulge of earth, bridging the gap between the mountain foothills and Star Spire's position upon the plain, is complete, and the army's Vanguard is barely a mile out.

They'll reach Star Spire's camp in less than an hour.

LordDice
2013-09-16, 08:56 PM
Coming through the entryway to Ironjaws toasty tent, rain dripping off his muddied stone armor, eventually slogging his way inside. Plenty of mud just inside the door it seems as well.

"They sent out a little welcoming party for us a bit ago Sir, turned em back quite handily thanks to Taalkar's fancy new axe...speaking of which, what are you going to call that thing Brother ? I like "Moradin's Whisper" Ahh, you shoulda seen it General, ran those goblins off like he'd killed their favorite mole rat !"

"Looks like the host is moving along decently...especially considering this blasted weather...giving a slightly annoyed look at Taalkar."

Mr. X
2013-09-17, 12:54 AM
Ironjaw's tent is being dismantled as you approach, and you catch him loading his effects into his carriage.

He turns as you approach, and, as you relate the story, laughs loudly at your words.

"Hah! Turned'em back, eh?!". He shouts over the thunder, wiping the driving rain out of his eyes,

"That'll show'em. As fer us, we're just gettin' readly to move the last lot out, an' so far, haven't been troubled by the enemy. Ye probably just got probed.

He locks the door on the carraige, and mounts up on a pony.

"I'll be on the hill within the hour, an' I'll be wantin' te meet wit their general to coordinate our positions."

Mr. X
2013-09-17, 01:30 AM
Falling in behind Ironjaw, you make your way up the column, across the bridging bulge, and back to Star Spire's camp. There, he leaves you to convene with the Boy King and his generals, and you are left to help organize the Dwarven camp.

The temperature drops steadily as night deepens, and the driving rain quickly turns to cutting sleet, as you and the rest struggle to set up tents and shelters.

By the time you are able to take your leave and turn in, you are pushing into exhaustion, and, despite the cold and damp, fall asleep almost as soon as you hit your blankets.

---------------

When the horn blows at dawn, your are stiff and achy, and wanting for several more hours sleep.

Still, duty calls.

As you slug out into the frozen and muddy hilltop, you are met by the glorious smell of sizzling sausages from a nearby cook-fire.

The sleet has stopped, but the sky remains gray and stormy.

For Doilin:

Your dove, having flown through the night, has seen nothing, and is returning to you...

... In so doing, it comes upon the rear of a great host marching Northward, that it must have passed in the night...

Hundreds of thousands of soldiers, marching in perfect step, clad in fire-blackened armor, spiked, and wrought in the shapes of the dragons of old...

... The armies of Great Gate approach.

If they are not delayed, they might reach the field in two days time.

LordDice
2013-09-19, 09:57 PM
"Stone armor....Horrible idea on mornings like this, not enough wool lining to ever actually make it warm"

Still fiddling with the harness holding his chestplate on, as Sid stands to the side holding the helm, with it's mute faceplate staring back at him...a likeness of some long lost ancestor most likely. Maybe he should have paid a bit more attention to the oral histories his father was always talking about.

Still, things are looking up...a battle on the way. Even Sid seems to have a bit of extra nervous energy.

Looking over at Dolin, who looks somewhat pensive this morning"Not used to the battlin we had last night friend ? Got plenty more of that to come !"

GiedalCaine
2013-09-21, 12:45 PM
Weary from the nights exertion, Doilin pauses for a moment to lean against a few stacked supply crates.

Indeed, friend, indeed.

Then muttering to himself, Lass, where'er you are, I hope yer safe. Damnable gods tossed me in ta the fryin' oil this...

Suddenly his eyes snap into focus as the long forgotten scout he'd sent out what seemed an eternity ago relay's a surprising vision.

Well now, that's a welcome sight if ever I saw one. Quickly, we need ta find tha general. I've more news.

Mr. X
2013-09-21, 01:18 PM
You find General Ironjaw at council in the Boy King's court tent. As you approach, you can hear a man speaking within...

"... We attack. They fell before the heavy horse like so much grain last night, and with the support of trebuchet and Dwarven Cannon, we can breach their wall and slaughter them as they sit..."

Reaching the door of the tent, you see the speaker is a giant of a man, whom you recognize as being Sir Tormand, commander of the Silver Horsemen.

The Boy King and Ironjaw are there, seated at the table, along with several other captains and council members, listening intently to Sir Tormand's plan of attack.

LordDice
2013-09-22, 04:17 PM
Taking up a position behind General Ironjaw to listen to the ongoing planning. Pulling out a shapestone from his sack he takes a moment to reshape it into a rough stool as he settles in for meeting.

Light trembles in the ground under him indicating Sid's presence to those who'd look close enough.

Glancing at Dolin for a second as if to say 'We rushed over for this ?'

GiedalCaine
2013-09-24, 10:19 PM
Wanting to wait as little as possible, Doilin bursts in at the first pause from the speaker.

Beggin' yer pardon, general, sir, but I've got news. The Great Gate is marchin' 'n if I'm any judge a distance they're about two days out still.

Barthac
2013-09-25, 02:50 AM
Manners lad, Taalkar chides Dolin before smacking him on the back of the head, These be leaders of nations conversin' not some barmaids in a roadside inn.

He rolls his eyes and turns back to the (probably) now silent conversation. Some dwarves have no manners these days.

Taalkar is completely oblivious that his outburst has most likely breached several forms of proper etiquette and protocol.

Mr. X
2013-09-26, 01:54 AM
A sudden silence falls over the council at Doilin's words, a silence that is further punctuated by Taalkar's shushing him.

But the Boy King waives off Taalkar's apologies, saying,

"Proper etiquette aside, this is important news, and well worth not standing on ceremony for its delivery."

He gives a look to his servants, and they begin rummaging through parchments and quills, gathering various materials.

"General Ironjaw, I am afraid we must recess for an hour, as I must establish communiques with Great Gate immediately. I expect you may wish to do the same. We shall re-convien in one hour."

Ironjaw nods, and stands, giving the King a short bow, and motions for the three of you to follow him out of the tent.

Once away, he turns to you, saying,

"Hells, Doilin this is good news, but two days might be two too many..."

He scratches his beard,

"The other generals an' I've been going over the reports from last night's battle, and the numbers are bad... The 'Spire lost heavy numbers to that attack, despite the victory... An' that ain't the worst..."

He leads you to the front edge of the camp, and the embankment over the battlefield.

At first you are uncertain as to what he's trying to show you, when it dawns on you that the field is empty... There are no bodies, human or goblin, to be seen anywhere...

"... Once the battle was finished, they had parties going out to gather the dead, but in the miserable weather, they called them off before too long. Now... The men'll be startin' te talk. Gettin' dragged off is an awful fate, even if the goblins don't have the tricks you suggested they might... As far as we can tell, the 'Spire's moral is holding for the moment, but we'll start to get deserters before long."

He looks out over the field, towards the smoking ruins of Beluvah,

"That Sir Tormund is preaching an attack on the city, and as foolhardy as that might sound, I'm not entirely inclined to disagree with him...

With the addition of our soldierin' strength an' our cannons, I'm sure we can hold our ground against further assault, but that's not really what I'm worried about... Each hour we sit here twiddlin' out thumbs, is an hour the men start thinkin' less about their victory, and more about the friends they had that just got butchered an' dragged off. An' once they start thinkin' like that, they start talkin'. An' once they start talking, the best we'll be lookin' at is dissension in the ranks.

An' dissension is a disease that could easily spread into our own ranks, if'n it gets let go for too long."

He heaves a great sigh,

"If we make a carful attack, firing on their walls at range with cannon and trebuchet, we can keep the men drunk on their victories awhile longer, and maybe even deal a significant blow to the enemy with minimal losses, while we wait for Great Gate to arrive."

He shrugs,

"But no plan survives contact with the enemy, so it's a gamble either way.

I sure could use your opinions on the matter."

LordDice
2013-09-26, 10:50 PM
"It seems to me that we'd need to keep our intelligence losses to a minimum, perhaps limiting the knowledge that the Gate is on the move. In that event some careful attacks with Troopers that have been kept in the dark would certainly buy us some time."

"But if we send in troops that know we're buying time to another army to arrive will only end up with that intelligence in the enemies hands and quite possibly invite a massive assault to attempt to overwhelm us before they arrive."

Mr. X
2013-09-26, 11:34 PM
Ironjaw frowns,

"... Aye, keepin' Great Gate's arrival under our hats is gonna be necissary if'n we're to make an attack..."

He scratches his head,

"Though, now I think on it, new's of imminent reinforcement might well give the men the boost of moral they need to sit tight an' not do anythin' foolish till they get here.

The problem there, is that if Great Gate gets delayed for any reason, we'll be even further up the creek than we are now."

He takes a deep breath,

"So I guess the real question is, what to you think of making an attack?"

LordDice
2013-09-26, 11:56 PM
"I think it's worth the risk at the moment, but that's just a hunch General"

Mr. X
2013-09-26, 11:59 PM
Ironjaw nods.

"What about you two?" He says, turning to Taalkar and Doilin.

Barthac
2013-09-27, 12:41 AM
Taalkar rubs his beardless chin thoughtfully. Frontal assault without knowing their strength can be pretty foolhardy. Glancing around he notices the stares. Even for me, he quickly amends.

If you got a nest of hornets you want to get rid of you don't poke the nest. Trust me, I know, pointing to a small round scar on the bridge of his nose. If I recall, you burn them out.

In one of those rare moments, Taalkar gets an idea. How much lamp oil do we have?

Mr. X
2013-09-27, 12:45 AM
Ironjaw tilts his head sideways at Taalkar, raising an eyebrow.

"... A fair bit, I imagine, and plenty o' other flammables as well...

What are you thinkin'?"

Barthac
2013-09-28, 10:11 PM
If the catapults can lob the oil over the wall all we have to do is send over somma those ones that go boom. Then they go boom, to illustrate he claps his hands together with a loud clap because obviously no one would understand the boom.

Seeing blank stares he stammers on, It works on trolls an I thot they stitch up pretty quick like these guys and to be fair I am ab bit hungry for grannies mushroom stew.

Mr. X
2013-09-29, 12:10 AM
Ironjaw nods thoughtfully,

"Ahhh... Light 'em up in swaths behind their very walls eh? It's a good plan, though we'll need te get into closer firing range for it, though not much closer, heh."

He looks back at the lot of you.

"Well, if you're all in favor of this attack, I'll add my go-ahead to Sir Tormand's. You lot head back to the command tent, and send riders out to meet with Great Gate. Once the King prescribes a plan, I'll let you know where I need ya."

With that, he turns and heads back to the Royal Pavillion.

LordDice
2013-09-30, 10:20 PM
Heading back to the Command tent they pull a Quartermaster loose for a minute.

"We've got a location on the Great Gates army, lets keep this quiet though. Get 5 of your best riders to get out to them and let them know what's going on"

Gesturing at Dolin, "He's got eyes on the army ...somehow". He'll get the riders going in the right way"

Mr. X
2013-10-05, 01:25 AM
The quartermaster gathers a messenger party together, and sends them off to meet with Great Gate.

It is barely an hour later when Ironjaw returns. He's huffing and puffing with excitement as he sweeps into the tent.

"Alright lads, the plan is set!"

He lays out a local map, and grabs up unit markers to lay out upon it.

"We're attacking the South-Western gate. Despite the city's walls being damaged from the earthquake, the gates remain their weakest points.

Infantry shall form up here and here, with their Flanks being guarded by the Silver Horsemen's heavy horse.

We'll march forward about a half mile to get into trebuchet and cannon range. (The Cannon's fire a fair bit further, but if we want to light'em up, as Taalkar suggests, we'll need to get right up close and personal with 'em.)

From there, we volley the city over the wall, blasting and burning them to the hells untill either we run out of powder, or they come and chase us off. More likely the latter than the former.

We're not trying to fight a flat battle here. If we can get out of this without bloodying our axes, so much the better.

We'll have outriders covering our outer flanks, and at the first sign of a goblin response force, we'll sound the retreat, and pull back to the hill.

The retreat will be steady and orderly, holding the line and shield wall all the way. If they try to push their luck, and attack the line, the cavalry shall swoop in from the flanks to thin them out, and then pull back again. And so on and so forth untill we're secure, and they give up the chase.

We march immediately. It's daylight now, and despite the cloudy skies, we have the advantage."

He sits back.

"So, I almost hate to say it, but I'm gonna need you lot on the line. The plan's nice an' pretty an' all, but if things start to go south, they'll go south quick. An' if the line breaks, there won't be much use comin' back to the hill at all.

Think ye can manage?"

LordDice
2013-10-05, 02:17 AM
"Aye, sounds like a decent enough plan General. I can't help but think we'll be just fine on the line there. I doubt I'd be able to keep Taalkar off it anyhow....nasty habit of jumping into things as it were !"

"Perhaps you could arrange a couple cannon to be preemptively sighted in on our retreat path. So as we withdraw they can open up on that Scum....to keep them honest."

Mr. X
2013-10-05, 02:22 AM
Ironjaw ticks his finger at you,

"Ye see that, that right there? that's what I keep you lot around for. Ha! Ne're you worry, the retreat shall be under ample cover.

Barthac
2013-10-06, 05:56 PM
Brother? Retreat?

LordDice
2013-10-07, 09:07 AM
"It's not an ACTUAL retreat brother....we're just luring them in. Don't worry...you wont have to turn your back to them, just kill plenty"

Mr. X
2013-10-07, 02:00 PM
Even as Karazi speaks, Ironjaw picks up a bucket and throws it at you (Taalkar).

"Ya know damn well what we mean!" He says, looking at Taalkar as though he'd like to see the color of his insides, "Now get out, and get the army ready to move. We march as soon as we're formed up."

Barthac
2013-10-07, 03:48 PM
Taalkar looks dumbfounded at the bucket. He glares over at Ironjaw, If yer gonna throw buckets, fill em with ale first!

Mr. X
2013-10-08, 02:06 AM
"OUT!!" Ironjaw shouts, hurling another bucket after you as you leave.

Just a short post now, Im afraid. I'll start the next scene tomorrow. Feel free to take any actions you want before the army marches.

Barthac
2013-10-08, 08:02 AM
Taalkar, now outside the tent, picks up the second bucket expectantly. Noticing no ale he frowns, Now he's just being ornery

Taalkar stomps off towards his own tent. He needs all the sleep he can get before tomorrows battle. A glint enters his eye as he thinks about the coming day and his stomping turns almost into skipping (as much as a dwarf can skip anyway). He's pretty sure he'll have some good dreams.

Mr. X
2013-10-09, 12:33 AM
As Taalkar skips off to catch up on his beauty sleep, and catch pleasant dreams of splitting skulls and screaming goblins, Karazi and Doilin are left to manage prepping the army for battle.

Of your nearly two hundred and fifty thousand dwarves, most are organized as phalanx troops, to be backed up by cannon teams. You don't have a proper calvary company, merely enough ponies to maintain the wagon train, and a number of outriders.

This matters little, however, as Star Spire's force is as large, and nearly half made up of light and heavy horse.

The men are eager for a fight, however, and the mobilization happens in record time.

Barely four hours later, you must send a messenger to roust your brother from his slumber, as the front lines have already begun to move.

----------------

The distance that would take you perhaps half an hour to ride alone, it takes the joint army almost three hours to cover, marching in even step and locked shields the whole of the way, the cannons, ballistae, and trebuchets bringing up the rear.

Beluvah's walls are nothing to compare with what Citadel's were, but they are still stout and strong.

While smoke curls up from various points around the city, the air is quiet, and there is no activity upon the walls... Even still, as the army approaches closer, you feel a certain sense of unease as the walls loom up before you...

Pulling to a halt, a fair distance from the Southwestern gate, it seems to take hours for the trebuchets and cannons to be wheeled into their positions, set up, loaded, and made ready to fire. All the while, casters move through the ranks, applying bolstering magics to the troops.

Far behind, the banner of the Crowned Steed, where the Boy King himself has riden with the army to provide comand and support for his men. There he sits, high upon his pure white destrier, his gleeming armor and crowned greathelm catching every stray ray of light filtering through the heavy clouds.

Slowly, he raises his right hand in signal, and holds it aloft...

... And then he drops it.

As one, the immense trebuchets creak and spring, dropping their counter-weights, and slinging heavy barrels filled with oil and alchemist's fire over the walls of the Holy City.

A string of thunderous explosions sound off in rapid succession as the cannons volley ball and bomb shots far over the wall...

... The city is rocked by the ferocity of the incoming artillary. Great swaths of fire ignite through the area you approach, and in places, the wall crumbles where the cannons strike it... The blustering winds carry occasional shrieks and agonized screams to your ears, of those suffering and dying under the onslaught, and before long, a great wall of thick, black smoke is pouring up into the skies from within their city...

A cheer goes up from the ranks, as explosion after fiary explosion rakes the edge of the city, but as it dies down, it is replaced by a new sound...

... An odd, buzzing whine...

... As you watch, the billowing smoke almost seems to waft outward, and expand towards you...

... The buzzing gets louder as the cloud continues to expand, darkening the sky above you...

... It grows to a cacophony as they fall upon you...

... One gets the dwarf next to you. A cancerous lump of flesh with flapping, insectoid wings, and squid or jellyfish like tendrils... I slaps into the dwarf's face, and he goes down screaming, as the thing's tendrils squirm and twist into his visor, followed quickly by a spray of blood as it digs into his eyes...

Everyone, please roll Initiative.

each of you get attacked by three of the things:

For Taalkar:
1) [roll0]
2) [roll1]
3) [roll2]

For Karazi:
1) [roll3]
2) [roll4]
3) [roll5]

For Doilin:
1) [roll6]
2) [roll7]
3) [roll8]

If, for some reason, you are not wearing a helmet, these attacks are against your Touch AC.

These are Grapple attacks. Please make a series of Strength Checks (DC above attack rolls that hit) to resist the grapple.

If you fail, take damage:
[roll9]
[roll10]
as your brains are sucked out.

To get at your brains, these things will try to go through your ears, or your eyes. If you take any damage, you are likely going to lose one or the other, or both.

Luckily, you can only have one stuck to your head(and effective) at a time, so once one gets you, ignore all further attacks. (They'll stick and gnaw on your armor, but do little else.)

Each of these things has an AC of 12, and 5hp, if you'd like to attempt to squash them once you get them off of you.

Good Luck.

Barthac
2013-10-09, 08:54 AM
Not wearing a helmet! (I regret nothing)

Initiative:[roll0]

Grapple: (not sure how I beat a 32)
#1:[roll1]
#2:[roll2]
#3:[roll3]

They eat brains? Maybe Taalkar will just starve them out. Any chance of them getting alcohol poisoning from Taalkar? :smallbiggrin:

Mr. X
2013-10-09, 12:14 PM
A 20 of your own would have done it.

Sorry, those were some pretty obscene rolls. :-/

A moment later, one of the things slaps into Taalkars face, staggering him backwards. It grips him fiercely as its tendrils squirm over his bare face, one burying itself into his eye, while another slides up his nose...

Taalkar, you loose an eye along with the mental damage. (I'll let you choose which one.)

I might suggest just killing the thing on your turn, as it is unlikely you are going to be able to break its grip, and it will continue to eat your brains each round.

LordDice
2013-10-09, 02:53 PM
Flailing wildly he tries to throw the bloated things off even as they worm their way past his helmet.

Init [roll0]
Grapples
1: [roll1]
2: [roll2]
3: [roll3]

This is gonna hurt

Mr. X
2013-10-09, 04:59 PM
Doilin collapses backwards, scrabbling at the thing.

Take your actions, the monsters shall deal their damage again at Init: 10.

DC to get them off remains their initial Grapple roll. However, as they're stuck to you, they are Flat-footed, so their AC is reduced to 10.

(Note: Smashing yourself in your own face with your axe may result in damaging yourself as well.

Mr. X
2013-10-09, 05:03 PM
Combat Order

17- Taalkar
12- Karazi
10- Buzzing tentacle things
0- Doilin (untill he posts)

LordDice
2013-10-09, 11:21 PM
Screaming as the creature burrows into his head, ripping through a small gap around his ear. In a panic he tries to shift into his newly practiced Rockform only to have something go wrong.

Great shifts of rock jutting out of his flesh in a giant mishmash, Nothing like the clean form he practiced before. Still seems to be somewhat more effective against the creatures crawling over him.

Seeing Karazi tearing at the creature on his head, Sid quickly tries to aid him. Smashing off the first abomination.

I think I'll go with a ruputured ear rather than eye...can't be copying after all :P

Shifting form takes up his action, and That's all just flavor.. I just figured'd it would be kinda difficult to shift into a form he's barely practiced while getting his brain sucked out. I made a note of the neg modifiers already for my mental stats.

Sid'll smash at a few on him
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Potential Cleave
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Barthac
2013-10-10, 08:50 AM
Taalkar falls to the ground in intense pain as his eye ruptures. Not thinking clearly (his brain being eaten and all) he begins to beat at the things on his face and body.

No stance or special maneuvers, Taalkar is simply freaked out.

Full attack round on this things with unarmed attacks:
To hit:[roll0]
damage:[roll1]
To hit:[roll2]
damage:[roll3]

Mr. X
2013-10-11, 01:19 AM
All around the armies reel under the onslaught of the squamous, buzzing things. The cannons behind get perhaps another one or two shots off before falling silent, as their widly spaced crews proved even more vulnerable to the swarm...

Somewhere behind a rallying trumpet sounds, but is cut off after but a single note, and a squealing gargle...

Taalkar rolls on the ground screeching, clawing the thing on his face to pieces with his fingernails, as Sid grips the one holding the nearly shapeless form of Karazi, and squashes it to jelly..

A moment later, Taalkar regains his feet. Blood pouring down his face, and a bit of tendril still hanging from his eye socket, he flinches back as another 'bug' zips past him, and onto a fallen and screaming ally...

From somewhere to the left, a sub-commander shouts out,

"SHIELDS UP MAGGOTS!!! FORM A TORTOISE SHELL!! SEAL THEM OUT!!

The formation to which he is referring:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/1381445982_zpsd92914d5.jpg

GiedalCaine
2013-10-11, 08:46 PM
Posting out of order to make sure I get one in

Flailing about with his hands, Doilin attempts to be rid of the monstrous things.

[roll0]
[roll1]

LordDice
2013-10-11, 09:12 PM
As the creatures continue to crawl all over him, his form starts to recover somewhat, still definitely not a clean transformation.

Seeing Sid looming over him, smashing and pulling them off him, a wave of relief fills him. Feeling a sense of protection and security through his bond with Sid, along with an odd note.

Almost like the magics he was trained to use by the old Stoneshapers he felt pattern for something coming right from Sid. Latching onto it he focuses on bring it into reality.

Shouting over the horde"I hope to hell this WORKS..."

Just working towards that eventual realization his spells and power have been coming from Sid all along.

Spell cast is Mass Snake's Swiftness. Everyone in a 20ft Radius gets an attack, regardless of init order or other actions taken.

Sid's gonna keep attacking the ones on Karazi, or nearby.
Normal Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Possible Cleave
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Snakes Swiftness Attack
Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

Mr. X
2013-10-12, 03:32 AM
All around, the struggling dwarves and men manage to get in that lucky shot that lets them escape their current bind... Slowly, shields come up and lock together. Those within helping others kill the creatures latched onto them, and assimilate them into the formation, eventually forming an impenetrable shell, bristling with pikes and Urgrosh spikes, that make short work of any of the buzzing creatures that attempt to squirm their way in...

Across the field, the army is taking heavy losses, but many groups are rallying to form similar formations. Before long, the field seems a mass of skittering crabs, as the sheild-shell structures work their way hither and thither to gather up those isolated whom can yet be saved.

Real progress is just beginning to be made, and the cloud of squamous creatures seems beginning to dissipate, when the city gates open...

... The goblins pour out by the thousands...

... Even so, it is not their countless numbers that causes your blood to chill, it is that which comes behind...

... A cancerous bag of flesh nearly as big as a small house, floating over the heads of the charging horde like some obscene balloon. Squirming tendrils hang off of it like strings of hair, its toothy maw large enough to swallow whole a horse (or as easily snap it it two), and a great, rolling, bloodshot eye is sunken in its center....

Somewhere far off, a horn sounds the retreat...

But then the eye falls upon you...

... Under its gaze, it is as though the fire goes out from the world. Every bit of active magic flickers and dies... Karazi morphs back into a dwarf, blood dripping from his ear, and Taalkar's crackling axe fizzles and goes silent, and Sid disappears, along with the forming connection to Karazi...

And then the hells are unleashed...

From one of the things squirming tendrils explodes a jet of greenish light that seers through a troop off to the right, slicing it in half, and reducing many of its men to clouds of ash...

Another stalk twists around, blasting another group with crackling black lightning...

... As it turns to survey the havoc it wrought, it is as though a tinder twig was struck, and your magics return... Sid reappears, Taalkar's Axe again dances with light, and Karazi's form calcifies into stony plates...

And yet the goblins surge forward... They'll be on you before long, but without a solid line, you cannot hope to hold them, much less outrun them...

And as long as that 'Eye' is out there, there any formation will be hopeless.

LordDice
2013-10-13, 12:52 AM
Clutching at his chest and feeling the link reestablish with Sid squashes that overwhelming panic right away. Relief that he wasn't one hit by the deadly beam, that his magic is back and most importantly that Sid hadn't just been ...unmade.

The very thought leaves him queasy.

"Brother, I'll distract the great fleshy....THING. you get the cannons on it. It's our only hope"

Feeling at his magic he notes in the back of his mind, though still addled from the burrowing creature that the magic he feels is quite clearly flowing FROM Sid somehow.

It had always felt like it came from everywhere before...why the change, what had happened ?....thoughts for later.

Focusing himself amidst the chaos he reaches down to the trodden dirt below, foul creatures still skittering around his armor. Letting it slowly slip through his fingers it quickly starts to whip into a massive dust storm of sorts...coming together right on the giant fleshbag itself.

"Heh, no matter how big ya get. Someone can always throw some sand in yer eye"

Barthac
2013-10-18, 08:18 AM
Taalkar scrabbles in pain on the ground. The piercing agony of his left eye blocking out most of the world. He bumps into another form on the ground. It's a dwarf, as still as the earth, with lumps and tentacles all over their body.

Taalkar sucks in a breath to calm himself and try and clear his head. Reaching out to the body next to him he tears a long strip of cloth of its cloak. Sitting up he gingerly ties the long strip over his left eye and around his head. He gingerly flicks the remaining tentacle from his face.

Blinking his remaining eye he tries to get a grasp on what's happening in the battle as he hears his brothers command. Glancing around he finds a discarded helmet and gently pulls it on without upsetting the makeshift bandage.

Standing up now, he runs for the cannons screaming, To arms, fools. Get up and blast that thing.

Mr. X
2013-10-19, 08:45 PM
At Karazi's injuction, dust and dirt kick up in clouds around the monsterous eye, obscuring it from view for a moment, as Taalkar gathers a group of cannoneers to move, huddled under the cover of their shields, to re-establish the artillery...

The respite is short lived... Multiple blasts of light and energy explode forth from the dust cloud, directed seemingly at random, cutting through men and goblins alike, as the monsterous creature emerges from the dust cloud, blinking its great eye, and twisting around its tendrils and stalks to wipe away the dirt and grime... One narrow blast of abysmal black energy burns through your troop, narrowly missing Karazi as he flinches away, but catching Doilin squarely in the chest...

The dwarf convulses violently, and drops... Dead.

And yet the army remains divided into disparate groups, retreating in fits and starts under their shield cover, away from the onpouring horde...

For Doilin:

Amidst the chaos of battle, of men screaming, the incessant buzzing, and the a screeching of the eye's blasts, you suddenly feel a jolt of freezing pain, and all goes quiet...

... You stand alone on the battlefield... Gray mists drifting across the scene of devestation, continually shifting to obscure some sights, while revealing others... The bodies of the fallen lie all around in broken and contorted heaps, here outside the walls of the Holy City, their lives ended before their time, much as those who fell within...

... And now you've joined them...

... You suddenly feel completely lost. What were you doing here? What madness led you to a battlefield when you still needed to find what you'd lost..?

She was lost... You can never find her...

Unless...

Unless she's here too...

You whirl around, searching the landscape, and find her standing just behind you...

Her dark hair hanging sodden in her face, she wears a flimsy white shift blowing gently in the wind...

... She is so small... So frail... You cannot immagine how she accomplished what she did in Beluvah... What you accomplished together...

... That has ended... And yet you have found each other, and may face the wonders of the afterlife together...

Running to her, you brush the hair from her face... The eyes that stare back at you are so hollow, so empty, that they wither your soul...

"... The Gods have no place for you, heretic..."

... You stagger back, appalled... It isn't her, it isn't Diana...

The girl lifts her head, a palpable power flowing off of her,

"... Any more than they have a place for me...

... Yet there remains much that needs doing... The Blight has risen again, and I shall not stand idly by to watch the world be consumed..."

She raises her hand, and lines of fire lick and burn the ground between you, sizzling and crackling, and forming a circular arcane sigil on the ground...

"... Seal your Pact with me, heretic. I shall fill those parts of you that are broken, and more, once we ride the waking world once more."

For Karazi and Taalkar:

Taalkar, its going to take you a few actions to get for the cannon line.

Karazi, you still need to get the army to form up if you don't want to get overrun.

LordDice
2013-10-20, 06:32 PM
Barging his way into the nearest Shell formation while Sid is flowing along the ground crushing Jellies where ever he can get them.

"Who's in charge in this formation ! Speak up. We need to start forming up. Get on the horn, the Cannons will be taking care of that monstosity in a few moments and we need to be ready to hold off the mass of goblins"

Smashing a Jelly under his boot heel as it tries to crawl up his leg. He looks around to see if anyone even heard him shouting orders.

GiedalCaine
2013-10-20, 07:45 PM
Bewildered and amazed at this sudden turn, Doilin is unsure how to proceed. Standing outside the flow of time though does have its luxuries. Pondering the words of the enigmatic figure before him, he begins musing to himself.

'taint no vestige 've ever heard of, that's f'sure... some kinnda... flame spirit perhaps? Why did it make me think o' Diana? The hair.. ain't even right... Ahh.. what tha 'ell, I been failin' her in so many ways, if she's still alive, I owe it ta her to find any way I can ta get back to her.

Becoming exceedingly more decisive by the moment (though who can measure the eternities of being dead) Doilin begins to roar at the being before him.

Arright you vile thing, you temptress. You get me back inna that fight or on ta the next and we'll work together. You have my oath as a binder, you'll taste the world again and those monsters will taste my vengeance!

Mr. X
2013-10-22, 01:46 AM
Karazi forces his way into the huddled mass of shields, shouting his orders... From somewhere within, a voice shouts back,

"'Aye Sir!", shortly followed by a loud three note trumpet blast...

The blast is picked up and relayed down the host, and the numerous crablike structures begin scurrying towards one another, and merging together to form a solid wall of shields facing the enemy...

And not a moment too soon... The flood of goblins smashes into the shield wall, just as the final gaps close, and men and dwarves begin to die... But for each shield that falls, another takes it's place, and the wall holds... For now...

But then a blast from the eye sheers through a section just before you, and the goblins begin making headway, and two more monsterous eyes can be seen floating over the city walls, as Taalkar's troop finally reaches the cannons...

For Doilin:

At your acceptance, the girl lunges at you. Her pale hands snap out, seizing you by the ribs in a vice-like grip, her touch so frigid that it burns, sending a searing pain through the whole of your being, so terrible that can't but close your eyes and scream...

... And scream...

... And scream...

... You jerk awake to the feel of someone's boot on your face... Dwarves crowd all around you, shouting and screaming, holding strong their sheild wall and their covering shell from the 'jellies', and trampling the fallen as they must to hold their formation...

Squirming away, you gain unsteadily gain your feet... Your vision is misty, as though looking through a light ale... Looking down at your hands, your skin has taken on a jaundiced hue, and leathery texture...

... It appears that you live once more...

... Over there, you hear a shouted command, and look up to see the rocky shapes of Karazi and Sid, just down the way...

OOC:

See the OOC thread for the stats of your new Pact.

For Taalkar:

Under shield cover from the 'jellies', you reach the cannon line... It's been a massacre.

Far from the front line, and well protected on the flanks, the cannon crews were severely vulnerable to the flying 'jellies'... None have survived.

The cannons yet remain operable, however, and you may begin distributing your men at will.

You reach the Cannons. You've got fourteen dwarves with you, and a cannon crew typically consists of five or six dwarves, though they can be prepared with less. You may divide them as you see fit, and fire when ready.

Each dwarf has a Cannoneer Skill bonus of +7. Each dwarf, beyond the first, shall provide a cumulative +2 circumstance bonus to your roll, to a maximum of +10 with five additional dwarves (6 total in the crew).

You may order the crews to 'Take 10' on all their rolls, but if you do so, their rate of fire and reload shall be slowed.

You may also order which type(s) of shots you want loaded.

LordDice
2013-10-23, 05:33 PM
Seeing the eye blast apart another section of their new formation lends more than a touch of panic.

"He better have those damned cannons firing soon or we're all doomed"

Reaching for this newly found connection with Sid he find the power for an old favorite. Picking up a small rock he squeezes it inside his hand, filling it with power until a tiny drop of blood drips onto the ground. Chucking the rock over to the gap causes the very ground to erupt with razor sharp shards of rock....hopefully that'll give them time to reform without the goblins piling into the gap.

If only the Cannons were firing.

This is DC 15 Spike Growth (SRD) Just refluffed cause sharp weeds and stuff is lame :P

Barthac
2013-10-23, 09:22 PM
Get your asses to those cannons. The now eyeless Taalkar screams at the dwarves following him. He's not entirely certain of the particulars of cannoneering but he is sure that without support those floating eyes were going to end the battle quickly.

Let's split up and see if we can get three of them working. Load in the big balls and aim at those floating eye things as quick as you can. Let's see we can send those floating bags of puss back to hell.

Taalkar follows the short-manned team towards their cannon. By Moradin, this better work.

Cannon master, I am hear to help! Now show me what to do.

Splitting the dwarves into 5 man teams with me acting as number 15. Not sure how much help if any I can provide but you have to lead somehow.

Loading in balls and aiming at the eyes o' death.

Mr. X
2013-10-26, 01:49 AM
"YE CAN STAY OUT 'THE WAY!! The cannoneer shouts at Taalkar, as he grabs a mass of wadding, and scoops up a bucket of black powder from the barrel.

-----------

The explosion of stone and crystalline spikes bursting from the ground kills many of the goblins, and a few of the closer dwarves, but prevents the horde from flooding into the breach before the line can fall back and re-form...

... Then the air splits with thunder, as the cannons begin firing once more, and the field ahead erupts with explosions as goblins die by the hundreds. The great eye is consumbed in the dust and smoke, and lost from view, but the searing beams of light, for the moment at least, cease...

A trumpet blast from the far right flank catches your attention...

The line still holding, and giving ground steadily to the onpouring horde in its ordered retreat, the land to the south almost shimmers as a tight formatin of the Silver Horsemen smashes into the horde's open flank, their pointed wedge sheering through the squamous masses like a scythe through wheat.

For a moment, it looks like this battle might start going in your favor...

But then the ground beneath you trembles, and explodes... A gargantuan worm erupts from the earth, reaching forty feet into the air, before flopping over onto the body of the army, crushing countless men and dwarves beneath it's bulk, and swallowing up several more in its blind, gaping maw, as it slithers the rest of the way from the earth... Leaving behind it a gaping tunnel, from which goblins almost instantly begin to pour...

And it is not the only one... All down the length of the army, worms erupt from the earth, laying waste in and of their own right, and opening a new front behind the army...

... Time seems to slow as you watch the sheild wall tremble, and begin to give way, as moral breaks, and men begin to flee...

Please start taking actions. Your previous initiatives still apply.

The tunnel opened by the worm shall spew two goblins every round.

Purplish in color, with grossly contracting and expanding segments, the worm is eighty feet long, and must weigh tens of thousands of pounds. As men all around fall on it, and before it, many blades glance off it's tough exterior, but several do manage to bite through... It can be wounded, and perhaps killed...

Mr. X
2013-10-27, 03:05 PM
For Taalkar:

Even as the line before you begins to crumble, far off to the North, well beyond the reaches of the battle, you see a small group of knights riding hell bent for the city... In full plate, high atop their speckled brown and white horses, their golden cloaks trailing behind them... The Knights of Timaril?

There are perhaps eight of them.

LordDice
2013-10-27, 10:24 PM
Reaching over to the Sub-commander nearby he'd shouted at earler and grabbing him by the front of his chestplate "Sound for a regroup and retreat, if we break entirely we're all doomed. We've got to control this retreat and back out...the cannons will cover us somewhat"

Looking at a giant wurm he mentally reaches for Sid casting his eyes skyward hoping this will save a few more dwarves.

The skies open up and lightning blasts down upon the nearest great worm.

DC 15 Call lightning
[roll0]

Barthac
2013-10-30, 11:06 AM
Taalkar peers out at the battlefield and notices the riders.

Shouting at the cannon crews, One of you put some fire on those tunnels and see if you can collapse them or at least think twice about poking their heads up.

Taalkar looks at the oversized worm and suddenly feels pretty useless. Over his shoulder he gives one last command, If the line breaks, make a run fer it but don't leave these cannons to the enemy to use on us.

He nods in self-satisfaction then tears off towards the worm and combat.

Leaping high in the air, with his trusty axe raised high above him, he cleaves at the thick hide of the worm while shouting, For MORADIN!.

Using Charge and leap attack on the closest worm.
Power Attack 6 but taking using Heedless Charge from Shock Trooper Feat to shunt the negative from ToHit to AC.

***DAMN THE MATH: Is this right****
AC: 15=23-2(charge)-6(PA/Heedless Charge)
ToHit : +15=12(base)+2(Charge)+1(Weapon)
Damage: 1d12+28=+9(1.5 Str)+12(PA-2H)+6(PA-Leap Attack)+1(Weapon)
+1d6(Shocking)

ToHit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1] + [roll2]

Mr. X
2013-10-31, 12:07 AM
Lightning flashes, and the air splits with thunder as Taalkar's leap carries him high over the gargantuan monster, and he crashes down upon the worm, burying deep the axe-head, and splitting a long chasm through its cancerous flesh...

The monster shrieks in agony... High pitched and ear-piercing, more like the screaming of a babe than the roaring of a bear or lion, and even more deafening... It rears up, unfooting the dwarf, and leaving him dangling from his axe-haft for a moment, before he manages to dislodge the head, tumbling to the ground, and rolling away. But in that moment, the worm's tail curls around, and snaps it's spear-like stinger at the recovering warrior...

Worm's HP: 143/200

Worm's attack vs. Taalkar:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]

If hit, please make a Fortitude Save vs. Poison, DC 25. If you fail, take damage: [roll2]

But even as the beast nearly skewers the dwarf, something changes...

Far away, over Star Spire's main force, a Banner, bearing a rampant silver dragon, and so immense it casts a shadow over the whole of the army, unfurls... And with it a great voice roars across the field, echoing in your minds, as much as in your ears,

"DEFENDERS OF MEN! DO NOT LOSE HOPE!!"

The Dragonborn has taken the field.

Almost immediately, the melee around you intensifies as fleeing men and dwarves turn once more to fight with renewed ferocity, and you cannot help but feel your spirits bolstered... As you turn to face your foes once more, you feel a wicked grin spreading across your face, as your blood begins to boil...

For All:

The Dragonborn's Banner provides two significant effects.

Firstly, as long as you fight beneath it, you receive a +2 Moral Bonus on all Attack and Damage Rolls.

Secondly, you gain the Rage ability. Providing all the benefits and detriments as that of a Barbarian of your character level.

If you wish, you may resist the urge to foam at the mouth, and rip the entrails from anything and everything you can get your hands on, with a DC 8 Will Save.

A few notes on Raging for each of you.

Taalkar, while raging, you may not use any stances or maneuvers you possess that rely on focus or finesse. Those that rely on brute strength and fury work just fine.

Karazi, while raging, you cannot concentrate sufficiently to cast spells. However those already in effect continue throughout their duration. You can Rage and sling lightning no problem. Additionally, the Moral Bonus to attacks and damage apply to your spells, as well as to your normal attacks.

Doilin, the powers you receive from your pact with Miriahnna all function instinctively, and shall work just fine while you rage, should you choose to do so. If anything, it will only make using them easier. You will have no problem Poltergiesting a pile of swords, flinging them into the charging horde, and then tackling some poor soul to burn his brains out with your gaze. Likewise, the Moral Bonus to attacks and damage apply to your powers, as well as to your normal attacks.

It's your move guys.

GiedalCaine
2013-10-31, 01:11 AM
Shouting at the top of his lungs, or at least what used to be his lungs Doilin advances on the lumbering beast. The blight must be repelled!

He extends a finger, jaundiced and stiff, and a stream of dark miasma jolts ahead toward the creature pinning his friend.

Friend? What is this word.. friend.. you need no other but my embrace and the burning vengeance that is our cause.

Startled slightly but still focused on saving Taalkar he focuses fiercely throwing his anger, confusion and despair at the monstrosity.

Enervation at the giant worm, see if I can't knock some vim out of it. Ranged touch attack [roll0] +6 for new BAB, +1 for dex

[roll1] negative levels,-1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks, and effective level (for determining the power, duration, DC, and other details of spells or special abilities) per negative level acquired.

As this is a binder ability, it's a supernatural manifestation and does not provoke attacks of opportunity even when mimicking a spell.

Mr. X
2013-11-01, 01:09 AM
The black miasma crackles and arcs from the hands of the Risen, coursing over the beast, and causing it to screech and shudder... Faster than you'd give credence for, the thing's blind maw snaps around, even as it's body rolls and curls, to face this new threat...

Taalkar, it's back to you.

I hope to have a map up sometime tomorrow... In the mean time, a little clarification of the scene:

Karazi and Doilin were part of the main fighting force, which the worm breached from behind... As such, in order to flee the goblin horde, you have to run towards (and passed) the worm.

Taalkar left the front to deal with the cannons, and so is facing the worm from the opposite side.

(In all technicality, you have the worm flanked. Such bonuses may be applied.)

Mr. X
2013-11-04, 05:08 PM
The Map (Finally):

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/DwarvenBattle_zps76a75089.png

This is a little crowded, so here's the deal:

The Worm is the big purple thing.

K - Karazi
S - Sid

These two may be found North of the Worm's head, crowded in with the soldiers and goblins.

D - Doilin

Slightly North and West of where the Worm loops around, among the [previously] retreating men.

T - Taalkar.

Getting stabbed by the Worm's tail, right near the middle of the map.

The Black circle to the West, is the hole where the Worm slithered from the ground. A few goblins have spilled out of it, and are engaged with the men who were nearby.

G - Goblins
M - Soldiers (men)

Down to the South are the three functioning Cannon crews. They are not aiming at the Worm, as the collateral damage from the cannons would likely be worse than the Worm's rampage. As such, they are trained over the line of skirmish (Northern edge of the map), and firing at targets further away.

I hope this all makes sense, please feel free to ask me for clarification.

Barthac
2013-11-10, 10:43 PM
Fort Save: [roll0]

Barthac
2013-11-10, 11:03 PM
I'll tear ya apart wid my teeth! Slavering for raw violence, Taalkar swipes at the worm while yelling something about the worms questionable parentage.

So many things to keep track of!

Going into a rage. Full attack on the worm. Power Attack 6 but using feat to penalize AC

HP:36/54 + 12(rage)
AC:17

Attack 1
ToHit:[roll0](+6 BAB, +6 Str, +1 Weapon, +2 Morale)
Damage:[roll1]+[roll2] (+9 str, +1 weapon, +2 Morale, +12 Power Attack) + (Sparky!)

Attack 2
ToHit:[roll3](+1 BAB, +6 Str, +1 Weapon, +2 Morale)
Damage:[roll4]+[roll5] (+9 str, +1 weapon, +2 Morale, +12 Power Attack) + (Sparky!)

Mr. X
2013-11-11, 04:04 AM
The Worm, turning now on Doilin, flicks back it's tail... Unimpaling Taalkar, and leaving the dwarf staggering as blood pours from the gaping wound in his side, and the poison courses through his system... But it is not nearly enough to cool the blazing hot stone of the Falgen's Heir.

As the Dragonborn's Banner reaches across the sky, Taalkar surges forward, his one good eye ablaze with maddening fury, charging headless of the dangers around him, and smashing into the Worm's twisting length with such force it cleaves the monster nearly in two...

Worm's HP: 42/180

Karazi, It's your turn.

LordDice
2013-11-11, 10:55 PM
Feeling boosted at the sight of such reinforcements, he tries to maintain control of his mind at least enough to help in his way. It's just not his way to smash into the front of something as big as that worm.

Sid on the other hand heads straight for the worm, charging it nearly as soon as he can.

Moving around the worm's flank slightly, trying to get closer yet to the cannons, he lets off yet another blast of Lightning at the worm...the damned thing can't be invincible can it ?

Call Lightning [roll0]

Sid charges into attack
Attacl [roll1] (9+ 2 charge, 2 flank, 2 morale)
Damage [roll2] (+2 morale)

Mr. X
2013-11-12, 03:46 AM
The skys open up, roaring with thunder, and crackling with blinding lightning, a bolt smashing earthward into the arching worm and sending it into violent convulsions.

Even still, as the moment passes, the smoking, smoldering hulk arches shuddering over the fractured army once more...

Worm's HP: 7/180

Doilin, it's your turn.

Barthac
2013-11-18, 08:45 PM
DIE!!!!! Taalkar shrieks at the top of his lungs, completely out of control...

It worked last time... I will attack the worms dead corpse should the first blow kill him.

HP:36/54 + 12(rage)
AC:17

Attack 1
ToHit:[roll0](+6 BAB, +6 Str, +1 Weapon, +2 Morale)
Damage:[roll1]+[roll2] (+9 str, +1 weapon, +2 Morale, +12 Power Attack) + (Sparky!)

Attack 2
ToHit:[roll3](+1 BAB, +6 Str, +1 Weapon, +2 Morale)
Damage:[roll4]+[roll5] (+9 str, +1 weapon, +2 Morale, +12 Power Attack) + (Sparky!)

GiedalCaine
2013-11-19, 06:55 PM
Sorry for the delay.

The worm, now turned upon him, gives Doilin pause. He wasn't quite sure what that new power would do to the thing, though he was hoping dying a second time wouldn't be the immediate result.

Glancing around him for something to sustain him through this fight he sees the scattered remnants of the crushed army around him.

Weapons! Aye, I c'n make use of dat!

Summoning a swirling mass of the crushed armies swords, daggers, arrows and even a few cannon balls from the nearby ground, Doilin hurls them all straight at the creatures maw.

For flavor's sake I added the swirling mass, just to make it more epic, of course I can only throw six items. I'll assume I can find six swords, make it three long and three short to actually throw?

One attack per caster level
attack is 1d20 + cha (assuming, since I'm neither a wizard or sorceror)
Attack roll: [roll0]
Attack roll: [roll1]
Attack roll: [roll2]
Attack roll: [roll3]
Attack roll: [roll4]
Attack roll: [roll5]

Damage roll: [roll6]
Damage roll: [roll7]
Damage roll: [roll8]
Damage roll: [roll9]
Damage roll: [roll10]
Damage roll: [roll11]

Mr. X
2013-11-19, 08:22 PM
Power surges around Doilin's jaundiced, eye-less visage as an awful, swirling wind lifts the cloud of fallen swords, axes, and broken spears, orbiting him swiftly for a moment before flying full force into the face of the worm as it dives onto him, tearing through its flesh, and causing even the massive beast to flinch back, rearing over him like a cobra poised to strike...

... And back into Taalkar's reach...

As the worm arches back to strike, the warrior leaps impossibly high into the air, landing on the worms head with crushing force, and burying his axe deep into its brain cavity...

The monster jerks, and crashes limply to the ground, as the dwarf withdraws his axe, and shrieking, smashes it into the lifeless form again, and again, and again.

But then, almost as one, you realize that the shape of the battle must change... Despite the power and rallying force provided by the Dragonborn, the shape of the battle must change... The army must disengage the enemy, and fall back to the Hill, for even with this new strength, it cannot hope to continue to hold against the goblins' countless numbers...

Even as these thoughts occur to you, you see the army respond... Soldiers who a moment ago madly pressed their attack, back off and bring up their shields, and the line quickly forms up, the fighting ceasing wherever possible, and retreating at a brisk pace...

You suddenly realize that it will be bare minutes before the cannon line is passed and abandoned...

Oddly enough, the goblins do not press their attack, seeming to forget the fight as soon is it is not immediately relivent to them, and falling upon the fallen and the wounded like vermin at a grim feast.

LordDice
2013-11-21, 07:53 PM
Flakes of stone lightly falling off his body as he runs towards the cannon crews, amidst the massive retreat going he starts hollars just as he gets over to them.

"Take 6 men, go in pairs and take down 2 cannons a piece, the rest of you start spiking the cannons. When you're done spiking them, rig the powder supplies to detonate once we're well clear and help the others carry what cannons we can keep"

Sid here can probably drag one out of here just on his own, comeon lads...we'll need those cannon later."

Mr. X
2013-11-23, 04:23 AM
The cannoneers salute, and leap to action, some splitting off into pairs to dismantle the cannons, others running off alone to rig them to blow...

All the while, the army pulls back, soon reaching and trotting passed the cannon line...

... Even without fighting, the goblin horde is not far behind. The bodies of the fallen litter the ground nearly all the way back to the hill, and the now flood forth merely to partake of the grim feast...

... Your mind reals at the though of what awful secrets they might be learning from the flesh of your fallen brethren, but it is beyond your power to prevent...

... As the retreat progresses, many bodies are gathered and dragged away, but you cannot recover them all...

... Once the army is passed the cannon line, the goblins in their countless millions encroaching ever further, a final blow is struck, as the cannoneers touch off their rigged cannons and series of violent explosions rips across the battlefield.

An hour later, the belegured remains of the army limps back into camp upon the Hill.

A runner finds you, and tells you that Ironjaw requires your presence in his command tent immediately.

LordDice
2013-11-25, 02:17 AM
Weary and quietly he trudges back to Ironjaw, helm hanging off his belt as he holds a makeshift bandage to his sundered ear. The pain almost unbearable after letting his bond with the earth go.

Approaching the tent he lets himself in and starts reporting. "That....didn't go as planned. They've got alot more tricks up their sleeve than I'd have thought. But at least we're seeing some of them before the bigger battles."

"Managed to save a few cannon, and made em pay dearly for pushing us back like they did. We lost alot of good men to those damned Jellies though Sir, the men will need to seal up their helms. Maybe we can setup the armorers on emergency duty to shore up all the helms to get those little nasties out."

"God, I can barely hear anything through this ringing, I think Taalkar lost an eye and barely noticed through his rage though. Bah, I shoulda brought one of those little bastards back and packed him in a barrel of salt. I bet he'd shrivel up like a slug"

Muttering to himself at the last as he finally takes a seat in the tent, leaving the others to add to his informal report.

Mr. X
2013-11-28, 02:44 PM
Ironjaw sits heavily in his chair, still clad in gore sprayed armor, his heavy, scarred, great-helm sits upturned on the table before him where he'd dropped it.

He sighs heavily as Karazi enters.

"Well, I'm pleased to see you lived through that catastrophe."

He listens wearily to your report. At the last, he chuckles, saying,

"Heh, that wish, at least, I think we can grant you. A few of the squirming buggers made it all the way here to camp as the swarm scattered to the winds. The guards managed to take care of them (mostly), though not without taking losses."

His features grow grim again,

"... Gods, we were sorely ill prepared to meet what the enemy faced us with... It's good you managed to rescue some of the cannon, better still that you prevented any from being captured.

As you say, we'll need the smiths working through the night, but fixing every helm in the army that needs it is still going to take time... Perhaps more time than we've got."

He scratches his chin through his thick beard,

"... Strange, though, that they didn't press the attack when they had us beaten, don't ye think?

They could be all over us right now, but they're not... Why do ye think that is?"

LordDice
2013-12-01, 02:20 AM
"I suspect they didn't push ahead because for them that was probably enough of a victory. They'd have gathered so much knew knowledge from eating so many of us. Hell if they can really implement it they'll be building cannon of their own just based off the few bites of cannon crews they probably got"

"That kind of shear ability to absorb information is going to be our real downfall, not any giant floating eyes or jellies"

Mr. X
2013-12-01, 03:40 AM
Ironjaw sighs, rubbing his eyes, and sitting back in his chair.

"... You're right about that. But, to my knowledge, none of our crewmen were alchemists or metallurgists, so we may yet hope that the construction of our cannon remains a secret only we possess... Or so I pray."

He sits himself up,

"It may be our only secret at this juncture, though..."

He runs his fingers through his hair,

"An' even if it wasn't, we can't sustain losses like we took today again, gods!"

He kicks the table violently, upsetting the map, and the miniature soldiers representing the armies, upon it.

"It would be shame on our Kingdom to fall back now, but I cannot continue to simply send our men to their deaths! What with flying Eyes and Jellies, and Worms coming up from under our feet, to say nothing of their limitless army!"

He sits back heavily again, and you see the shadow of defeat creeping over him.

"... You can't steel a formation against those angles..."

He sighs, taking a long pause before continuing.

"... We are to meet with King Albert of Great Gate tomorrow... He'll add another five hundred thousand swords to our strength, if'n the bastard doesn't decide he'd rather just pick flowers and go home. Almost doubling our strength... Maybe even more, after our losses... But I don't know if it'll be enough..."

He sits back, looking helpless,

"... I just don't know..."

Barthac
2013-12-02, 10:31 AM
Taalkar finally drags into the tent looking almost dead. Indeed, he'd probably been closer to death today than ever before. After the strength of the rage was gone he was deeply fatigued and as the adrenaline faded, the pain in his eye, or where it used to be, increased.

A large bloody cloth is tied roughly around his missing eye and a helmet is shoved roughly on top. Pieces of tentacled flesh still hang from places on his body where he beat the jellies and he is coated in blood from worms, goblins, and who knows what else. A dent on his found helmet looks deep enough to have creased his scalp and probably would have except for his thick dwarven skull. The stone chains of his armor are missing in several places. His skin is colorless and his remaining eye is deeply sunken with fatigue.

His axe hangs limply in his hand as he enters the tent. The axe itself is the only item that still appears pristine, an occasional spark dancing across the wide blade.

He flops into a chair with even less grace than normal. Glancing over at his brother he asks weakly, Did we win or lose that one?

Mr. X
2013-12-02, 09:03 PM
Ironjaw shakes his head,

"I dunno, mate, I dunno. We accomplished what we set out te do, and dealt 'em some pretty hefty damage... But we got as good as we gave, and thanks to the damn jellies wiping out our artillery crews, we didn't hurt them near as bad as we might've hoped when they came floodin' out."

He sighs.

"Well, one way or another, we're meeting with Great Gate tomorrow, an' we'll have do hear what'ere they've got to say, an' decide what te do from there.

Go an' get yer wounds treated, an' get some rest. Report to me first first thing in the mornin'. We'll need to get the army into parade form. Can't be showin' Guntur's whelp a weak face, after all."

He dismisses you with a wave, and turns back to the papers upon the table.

If you guys have any evening or morning actions to take, go ahead and take them.

Mr. X
2013-12-03, 10:56 PM
As darkness falls over the camp, the air is heavy with the smell of blood, sweat, and fear. It seems that from everywhere can be heard the wailing of the suffering and the dying. Passing through the camp, many men sit, staring out with dead eyes, while others gather around fires and ale barrels, drinking themselves into stupored peace...

The proud army of the Dwarven Kingdom is in sorry shape.

Healing magics are beginning to be in short supply, but sufficient wands remain to take care of what wounds you've acquired. Sadly, while magics can easily suffice for cuts, scrapes, and even greater wounds, broken bones and severed limbs are another story all together...

Your wounds tended and covered, you make it back to your tents, and into your cots, where sleep comes to you on the serenade of the wimpering of those waiting for treatment, punctuated by loud shrieks and screams of those having their bones set.

... You do not sleep well.

----------

Morning finds you rising at dawn, buckling on you battered armor, and trudging out into the freezing morning air, the grass and mud crunching underfoot where it had frozen last night.

The camp is only just beginning to stir, as you make your way to Ironjaw's tent.

Within you find him...

... Laying face down in a pool of blood... Spilled from his cot, where it appears he struggled to reach his shield and axe before expiring... Two, heavy, stone-shafted bolts protrude from his back...

Barthac
2013-12-03, 11:58 PM
Taalkar falls to his knees besides the body of his friend. Noticing the stone bolt he closely inspects it, fearing the worse.

I aint seen one of these... he takes a sharp breath in shock as the realization hits him.

Yarr never gonna believe it, brother. He stands suddenly, an finger pointing to the bolt. Turning his eye to his brother, How could anyone have gotten one of those?

GiedalCaine
2013-12-04, 12:38 AM
The whole not having to sleep thing is definitely going to take some getting used to.

Of course, not having to actually breathe might trump that one on the weird realizations of the night list.

The first time Doilin noticed that he hadn't taken a breath in at least a minute and that he wasn't feeling the least bit strained by the fact... well, to say he might have died of shock would be overstating it. Such phrases are almost comical, now.

Having passed the night away in solitude after the hasty withdrawel from the battlefield, he'd had much time to try and make sense of this new existence.

Are ye still there 'lass?, Doilin inquired to the voice in his soul.

Of course I am, mongrel. You do not wish me to vacate your lovely skull-less corpse do you?

Doilin sighs, Nay lass, I'm still just getting used to having one o' ye inside me and being aware of ye like this. It's diff'rent from other spirits I've contacted in the past.

Yes simpleton I'm sure that it is. I believe you will find this arrangement to your liking in the long run.

Doilin flexes his slightly stiffened fingers and notices the lack of warmth in his pulse-free fingertips. Yes, I c'n say its better then the altern'tiv.

Doilin notices his two friends pass by, no doubt intending to meet with the great general again and form some plan of action.

What must they think o' me now...

In the end, does it really matter?

Doilin shrugs, and turns to follow after the pair at a distance. Stationing himself away from the general's tent, but within sight of the entrance, he awaits their return.

LordDice
2013-12-04, 01:05 AM
Mind stumbing a bit at this turn of events, and taken aback at seeing a good friend lying dead and cold on the ground. After surviving so much recently even.

"What ?...

Seeing his brother pointing at the stone shafts sticking out of their General he takes a quick breath...grimacing.

"Haven't seen one of those in years, hell I was practically a child the last time I made a batch of those. Someone's gone to some trouble to make it look like we killed him"

"There might still be a few floating around, none but a true stoneshaper can make anything like it though and I think you remember as well as I what happened to all the rest of our kin"

LordDice
2013-12-04, 09:38 PM
Mentally nudging Sid has him flowing up into the room moments later. "Take a quick glide through the camp and see if anyone is paying closer attention than normal to this tent, try to keep a low profile"

Striding to the door he pokes his head out right quick looking around, spotting Dolin he waves him inside the tent.

"So, we've got a bit of a problem here as you can see. Those fancy bolts sticking out of our friend there are a specialty of our Stoneshapers. Someone's gone to some trouble to make it look like we just went and killed him."

Mr. X
2013-12-05, 01:38 AM
Sid returns shortly. No one within visual range of the tent is paying it any attention, and no one withing reasonable range is discussing it.

Your names came up a bit though...

"... An them Falgen sons, eh? Who do they think they are, walkin' in an' getting bumped from patrol duty up to command, eh?"

"... I dunno, but I was on the lines with 'em when the Worm broke through. An fair te fair, my whole unit woulda been wiped out if'n they hadn't been there."

"... Did'je see that other fella as was with 'em? Didn't look like much, but I saw 'im get zapped by they Eye, thought 'e was dead as a door nail, 'till he got back up, that is..."

GiedalCaine
2013-12-07, 12:29 AM
Serves him right, those in authority can't be trusted.

QUIET!, Doilin grimaces, hoping his friends will forgive his sudden outburst.

This dinnae look good, lads. You say this implicates the both o' ya? Ye've acted 'onorably enough to me so far, I believe ye when ye say yer not involved.

Still though, we need some way ta prove that I'm guessin'

Doilin pauses in contemplation.

You're going to make me occupy this space with another, aren't you. Alright, but let's be done with it quickly. You're my vessel now, and I don't like sharing.

Doilin shudders visibly at girl's tone.

I do have a way ta get some answers from the poor General though, if'n yer not opposed to a little darker magic. It's nothin' profane and his spirit will still be restin' in tha thereafter, but it might give us some answers. I warn ye, they kin be cryptic.

If no one objects, Doilin will pick a spot in the tent to mark out the symbol to summon Acererak.
[roll0] vs DC 25 to bind this vestige.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to specify the pact augmentations to go along with this. HP+10

Mr. X
2013-12-07, 02:23 AM
The twins start visibly as the tent fold lifts, and Doilin enters to witness the scene...

In the chaos of the battle, you'd seen him struck down, but when he got back up, you'd presumed the injury was merely not as severe as you'd feared... But to see him now...

... The Dwarf's skin hangs sallow, thin, and dry, with a jaundiced yellow hue and a papery texture...

... He peers in at the scene, His eyes horrid empty sockets where the jellies got him, though he displays no disability by the loss...

... As he makes his way into the tent, there is a rattling, as knives, silverware, buckets, and other small items about the tent vibrate and resonate with his presence...

Abruptly, he turns his head, and shouts a silencing exclamation at someone who isn't there, before this horrid visage of the man you knew turns and begins speaking to you...

... Something unnatural has happened to him...

Tentatively, you discuss the situation with this creature that was your friend, and find that despite his dramatic shift, his person has changed little... Though despite his apparent ability to see, he keeps his gaze lowered, and his eye-sockets turned away (for shame perhaps?), and he is frequently distracted, ticking his head this way and that, as though listening to some sound only he can hear.

Somewhere mid-way through the discussion, he voices a desire to attempt to commune with the spirit of the dead general...

Without so much as waiting for a response, he makes a slight gesture, and a knife flies from the table to his waiting hand like an iron filing to a magnet. With this he carves a wide, circular sigil into the dirt floor, and places in its center a moonstone about the size of a fingernail.

Sitting back, his eyeless sockets pass over the circle... It appears he is about to begin some sort of ritual.

LordDice
2013-12-07, 08:06 PM
"On your honor it'll not interfere with his passing somehow...we do need answers"

Turning to Taalkar ""What do you think, it's worth a chance right ? I know it's not pretty but we're in one hell of a bind."

Barthac
2013-12-08, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure he's giving you any choice. He had me with the whole, Taalkar holds up his hand, ZHWOOP thing with the knife should have tipped you off some.

LordDice
2013-12-08, 11:44 PM
Chuckling at his brothers summarizing of the situation "Well I suppose you've got a bit of a point there. This is far more bizarre than I was expecting though.."

"You know I was kinda thinking he'd just have some thoughts on the situation. Not you know...chatting with the dead."

"I'm thinking this might just be a little bit much to bring someone into...hopefully Ironjaw himself can point us at the killer. I don't think calling the guard in here during this inquiry would go well at all"

Mr. X
2013-12-11, 12:30 AM
Doilin doesn't pay any heed to either of you as he focuses on the circle, and , after steeling himself for a moment, leans forward, and speaks a name...

"Acererack the Devourer, Lord of Horrors, and godling of the Skull..."

... For a moment, a stillness falls over the tent... No breeze buffets the walls, no bird chirps, and you scarce dare to draw breath...

... But then a swirling breeze is felt, coming from within the circle, and quickly growing in strength... Dust is kicked up into the air, soon followed by rivulets of mud and grime, swirling in a dense cloud before the visage of your friend...

... Suddenly, the wind dies, and a form appears... Peering through, and then taking form from the coagulating mass of dust and mud, floating before the summoner...

A great skull, near as big as Doilin himself, looming over the dwarf like a cobra over a mouse, the moonstone he placed sitting like a tooth withing the thing's mouth...

... Great crimson flames burn within the depths of the skulls eyes, but it does not speak, and nor does Doilin... Each stares intently at the other as though some unknown contest were taking place...

... Suddenly, the skull lunges forwards, smashing into the dwarf with such force that it knocks him head over heals, disintegrating upon contact, and showering him in a flood of mud and grime...

Doilin lays still for a moment before shaking himself, and crawling to his feet, wiping the grime from his face.

For Doilin:

As you open your eyes, Acererack hisses in your mind,
"... An army in our grasp! Yessss, vessel, you shall do nicely. The so beautiful a young lady who accompanies you speaks truly, yes?" You can almost feel the ancient wizard bow, "No authority but our own may be trusted, lest they send us down paths unworthy, no... We shall be the authority, and by our will shall our purposes be met... But..." The wizard pauses, and, your souls melded, you can feel him sifting through you memories, like spiders crawling over your mind..."... You possess no standing in this army, no? It is of no matter. From behind the throne we shall rule. These two before you, in line, next are they. Our puppets they shall be... But to be of any use, they must first be rescued from the headsman... Such aid we can easily provide."

He keeps his head lowered, but his lip curls sinisterely revealing the moonstone now sitting in his own line of teeth.

He turns sharply to face Ironjaw's corpse, and makes a slow gesture over it.

Abruptly the body shudders, and makes an awful, rasping sound, as of air being forced into its lungs, and in turn sucked back out.

Doilin turns back to you, and speaks... But the voice is definately not his own.

"... Asssssk your questions. Answer, his memory shall. "

GiedalCaine
2013-12-11, 03:37 AM
But be quick about it, knaves, this enchantment is not of infinite duration. Get your answers and I'll decide what to do with them.

Doilin shivers..

Nay lads, sorry, ye'll decide...

Doilin grimaces.

LordDice
2013-12-11, 09:30 PM
Extremely uncomfortable with how this is proceeding he nevertheless decides to continue.

"No sense beating around the bush then, Who killed ya ?"

Mr. X
2013-12-11, 09:42 PM
Still face down, the bolts protruding from his back, Ironjaw's back shudders, rising and falling with the ragged, unnatural breath... And yet he speaks, his voice scratching like fingernails upon a slate.

"... Don't... Know... Came through the canvas..."

Turning, you can see two holes punctured in the canvas wall of the tent over his bed, as though the murderer fired from outside the tent.

Given the positions of the bolts in his back, and the holes in the tent, he probably didn't move between when the first and second bolts were fired...

Perhaps they were fired simultaneously, but even a single heavy crossbow is a lot for one dwarf to handle...

LordDice
2013-12-12, 08:52 PM
Muttering to himself at a lack of observation and poor planning before continuing with the questions.

"Were you aware of any plots against the Falgen brothers ?"

Mr. X
2013-12-12, 08:59 PM
"... Not aware... But suspected... Potentiality... Noted... My journal..."

Upon the table a soft bound ledger rests. Cursory inspection reveals its contents to be a series of dated entries in Ironjaw's hand.

LordDice
2013-12-12, 09:05 PM
Taking a quick glance through the notebook while resuming the questions

"Do you know anyone that could get their hands on a Falgen Stonebolt, present company excluded" ?

Mr. X
2013-12-12, 09:09 PM
"... Aye... Noraten..."

LordDice
2013-12-12, 09:15 PM
"How would Noraten be able to get their hands on Falgen Stonebolts ?"

Mr. X
2013-12-12, 09:18 PM
"... Here... There..."

LordDice
2013-12-12, 09:22 PM
Digging deeping into the journal he spends a minute looking through to see if there are any details to pick up quickly.

"What interest would the Noraten have in trying to frame us ?"

Mr. X
2013-12-12, 10:41 PM
Digging through Ironjaw's journal, most of the recent entries all involve recent events... The army's movements, details of the supply train, his feelings on the reception of his promotion, and other such logistics, when the corpse of your friend speaks again...

"... Don't... Know... Perhaps to finish... What they may have... Started..."

... As it finishes, you flip back a few more pages, when suddenly... Paydirt.

The page is dated a month before the Whurgrim/Falgen massacre.
... Guy at the pub tried to buy my axe today, said he dinnae recognize the maker's mark, an that 'e liked te collect the works o' lesser known craftsmen. I refused, o'course, an gave 'im a right fine education on the works o' Falgen smiths. Guy had'te'o been born yesterday te not know o' the Master-Smiths o' Mythril Keep. 'An who the hells would ever consider sellin' a bit 'o their heritage? I guess times could be tough for anyone..."

A few weeks after the event, the page is stained by drops of salted water,
"... Gods be damned! My family's gone! Dead, all of 'em!? Slaughtered down to the twins, and them sent packin'..."

"... Awful quick te get rid o' them though, 'specially after they said the'd been attacked first... That smells, that does..."

Several months after your return to Deep Mote,
"... I heard today that the Noraten clan's to try to start diggin' out the tunnels 'at collapsed when the Twins left... Gesture o' homage, I guess, but a lot 'o wasted work if'n ye ask me. Ain't no one left te live there..."

And finally, just before you were sent to Citadel,
... I been thinkin' about this a lot, and I always come back to that guy as tried to buy my axe back in the pub that day... If someone managed to buy up a family's signate arms, and assault their rival... But the Whurgrim an' Falgen were close as peas in a pod, and gaining wealth hand o're foot. No one to gain from killin' off the other...

Except...

The Noretan were on the decline... Another year or so, an' Falgen or Whurgrim woulda taken the Throranor's seat on the Council... An' the Thoranor tossed the twins out on their ears hardly a week after the massacre, and now...?

... Now the Noretan have absorbed the cornerstones of Whurgrim an' Falgen wealth into their own, an' have been growin' like a fungus ever since...

I'll need proof, but if I can get it, an keep the twins from doin' anythin' stupid, mayhap I can get the Mountain King an' the Grand Council te fix this..."

LordDice
2013-12-16, 01:44 AM
Considering the words written in the journal carefully, he looks over at his brother "This....changes everything. His notes seem to indicate it was the Noraten all along. Behind the downfall of our clan, and more"

"Did you ever find evidence of this Noraten scheming ?"

Mr. X
2013-12-16, 01:46 AM
"... Didn't have time... Required to deal with coming war..."

Barthac
2013-12-16, 12:25 PM
I knew I should have killed every one of those scheming mithril bastards.

Taalkar glances around, "Brother, we've been the only ones in here for awhile now with him. This is going to be pretty hard to explain. What should we do with Ironjaw?

LordDice
2013-12-16, 06:53 PM
"I've got an idea...but one more question for our dear friend."

Turning to Ironjaw's somewhat animated self he asks "Do ye want a chance back at life ? like in the old tales. A chance for vengence on those who would ruin our family ?"

"I can't say you'll come back even remotely the same, but it's a chance again at life most would kill for"

"I've studied the old tomes of the family histories, put together some of what they're talking about...it can be done in a manner"

Mr. X
2013-12-16, 06:57 PM
"... Have... I... Died...?" The creature rasps.

LordDice
2013-12-16, 07:24 PM
"Sounded like a yes to me, how bout you Brother ?"

Unsheathing his axe he moves towards the corpse, swiftly chopping off Ironjaws hand.

"Search the body, get anything of interest. Toss it in my sack"

Moving quickly he takes the hand and wraps it tightly in some spare linen before stashing it inside his pack.

""Dolin, Clean up the mess you made with....whatever the hell that was you just did"

Wiping his axe clean he resheathes it and focuses on his link with Sid...the calmness of the pure stone seemingly entrances him as the mystic energy starts to pour out.

First an incredibly large snake of some sort starts to form out of the very dirt beneath their feet, eventually becoming flesh and blood. With a gesture he nods at the corpse of Ironjaw...the summoned snake quickly gets the idea and starts to work it down.

As soon as Ironjaw is stuffed inside completely the snake ceases to be...settling motes of dust the only thing left of it or Ironjaws corpse.

"And now to make this convincing..."

Magic wells up once again but nothing appears to happen at first then, bursting out of the floor in the middle of his tent a number of scorching Thoqquas pile into the room, setting fire to nearly everything the touch.

"Make a mess in here for a short bit hit all of us at least once, then burrow back down. Make the tunnel look intentionally collapsed"

"Now Lads, we've gotta make this look good" he mutters under his breath.

As soon as the Thoqquas start moving he hollars in alarm
"INTRUDERS, INTRUDERS.....GUARDSMEN TO ME!"

"Augh, get a bucket brigade here....don't let the fires spread !"

So that's a 5th level summon Natures ally for a Giant Constrictor and a 4th level used for 1d3 Thoqquas [roll0]

Mr. X
2013-12-16, 08:37 PM
The ground bubbles and melts as the monsterous worms of smoldering stone and fire emerge... They have no faces, only the swirling red and black of molten stone, and as they twist and writhe around each other before you, you know a moment of fear, of what you have brought forth from the depths of the earth...

But as they sway before you, they pause before your will, and at your command they leap to action.

In moments, the tent is ablaze, and your cries for aid need not stretch far to reach genuine need...

The camp is abruptly in an uproar as the alarm goes out.

Buckets are already forming up as the three of you stagger from the tent, and the worms make their escape, delving back into the earth, and leaving a tunnel of dripping, molten earth behind them, that quickly caves in upon itself...

All around soldiers are shouting as they work to put out the raging fire. You are pulled away to safety, where a subcommander grabs you, and shouts:

"THE GENERAL! WHERE'S THE GENERAL!?"

Barthac
2013-12-16, 08:52 PM
He was in the tent, Taalkar coughs from the smoke and for effect, These worms burst from the ground and tried to eat us! Quick, get Ironjaw out of there.

Mr. X
2013-12-16, 10:46 PM
The subcommander curses, and rushes back towards the inferno, but the flames have gotten too out of control, and the intense heat pushes back all those who would attempt to enter...

... In time, the fire is doused, but no bodies are found amongst the ruin, and a moderately depthed hole is all that remains of where the Thoqqua departed.

Eventually, the Subcommander returns, covered in soot and ash.

"What the hells happened in there?! Where's General Ironjaw?"

LordDice
2013-12-17, 01:18 AM
"Taken ? Eaten ? Hell I don't know, those....THINGS were clearly after him, didn't pay us much heed as they rushed towards him.

"How the hell could this have happened....they can just pop up inside our fortifications ? I want guardsmen with an ear on the ground. I'm not even kidding. If they hear anything weird coming from the deep earth they sound the alarm so we can be ready next time."

Gathering his thoughts for a moment, looking at the smoldering remains of Ironjaws tent.

"Get me a detatchment on digging right here, see if they can find any trace of the General...."

Send runners to the other subcommanders, we've got to go over strategy before the meeting with the others at Noon."

Mr. X
2013-12-17, 01:55 AM
The subcommander is at first taken aback by the outpour of orders you're shouting at him, but then comprehends who, in fact, it is that he is talking too, and salutes, saying:

"Yes Sir, Right away, Sir!" And rushes off to fulfill your orders.

For Doilin:

Spirits in your head converse as you watch the events before you unfold:

"Yeessssss.... The puppets are in place... Now we need but pull the stringssss..." The dry, raspy voice of Acererak hisses.

Miriahnna whispers in reply
"... And by spirit's fire shall the land be burnt black, and cleansed the Blight shall be..."

For Taalkar and Karazi:

It is quickly apparent that the army is falling under your command without any further unpleasant questions.

You are now the De-Facto leaders of the largest Dwarven host this age has ever seen.

Congratulations.

Though there is much work to be done.

The meeting with Great Gate is in four(4) hours, and it will take at least one hour to march to the meeting point.

You must arrange how you would like the army to present itself (if at all), along with general management of the camp.

Good Luck.

LordDice
2013-12-17, 08:22 PM
Slappin Taalkar on the shoulder as he gets his newly repaired armor back.

He'd sent Sid off to get cleaned up and polished a bit awhile ago, should be back any minute now... His own armor having been fixed up a bit by the armorers.

Having finally had the time and patience to truly learn the form of Stone, he rarely leaves it the last few days. Flesh has become a polished grey of hematite on the whole, eyes a fiery ruby now. Where once there was hair is now hardened razor sharp gemstones of onyx line his face.

Leaving the helm at his tent, strapping his shield to his back and securing the ancient axe that was once his prize at his hip he seems ready to go.

"Lets go meet up with the Lad King and see about putting forth a strong front. I don't want these Doorknobs thinking they can get the best of us since we're out from our Holds"

Mr. X
2013-12-18, 03:47 AM
The party gathered and ready to move, Karazi gives the word to start heading towards Star Spire's camp, when suddenly, there is a bright flash of light, and a man appears before you...

Human, bald headed, and covered in tribal tattoos, garbed in shredded robes soaked wet with blood... Great, hooked and barbed iron chains bind him from nape to ankle, coiling tight about him, and tearing his flesh as he staggers to a knee before you...

... But his visible flesh, though torn and bloodied, is mottled with heavy, bark-like fungal growths, and a great, jagged crystalline structure juts from his left arm, in place of where a hand should be...

... It is immediately clear that he bears the same fungal affliction that the goblins you just fought all did...

... His head snaps up at you, his gaze burning with furious intent...

For All:

Please roll initiative.

Barthac
2013-12-18, 09:39 AM
Initiative[roll0]

LordDice
2013-12-18, 11:20 AM
Init [roll0]

Fates
2013-12-18, 01:51 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Mr. X
2013-12-18, 03:27 PM
Combat Order:

25- The Chained Man
21- Taalkar
2- Karazi
0- Doilin (until he rolls better.)

Fates
2013-12-18, 04:36 PM
The diseased man ***** "coques" his head, and his throat rattles as he struggles to speak. Back...away. Now. He raises his hand, and lets out a slurred incantation as flames begin to whirl around him, only to form a great pillar of flame encircling him. Waves of heat pour outwards, and the chains tighten around the man, the barbs tearing into his infected flesh, blood pouring forth from the cracks, only to boil in the heat. The man clutches the chain around his throat, gasping in pain.

Casting Wall of Fire directly around my own square in a 10-foot radius, with the heat from the wall directed outwards. Those within 20 feet of the wall take [roll0] fire damage. Anyone within 10 feet of the wall takes [roll1] fire damage.

Malthos takes [roll2] damage.

Mr. X
2013-12-18, 05:14 PM
Flames erupt around the blighted, chained man. Doilin staggers back against the heat, his mouth opening aghast, but it is not his voice that speaks... Rather the high pitched coo of a young girl... His words are worried and violent, none the less...

"The Bearer of the Chains! The Blight has taken him!! KILL HIM!! QUICK! BEFORE HE DOOMS US ALL!!"

For Malthos:

Your clouded eyes still see the spirit world as clearly as ever, and you can see that the sickly dwarf who screeches at you bears a soul that is a chimeric conglomeration of three separate souls...

... But that voice that knows you, and demands your death, you recognize with absolute certainty, despite the Dwarven outer husk she wears...

... The Ghost...

... Miriahnna Righn.

The Map:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/Mobile%20Uploads/1387403208_zps80507349.jpg

C- The Chained Man (Malthos]
K- Karazi
T- Taalkar
D- Doilin
S- Sid (Earth Elemental)

The structures surrounding you are all beige canvas tents.

Taalkar, it's your turn. Please include character descriptions with your actions, so we can all see what we look like.

Barthac
2013-12-18, 06:13 PM
Taalkar stops in his tracks at the odd arrival of this even stranger looking human. Of course, all humans looked slightly strange to him anyway. Taalkar himself had just donned his, now repaired, stone mail coat. The work to repair the intricate stone links was not Falgen quality but it was certainly up to dwarven standards.

His appearance was as good as it gets for the hot-tempered dwarf. A bath had removed the grime, grit, and gore of a hard road that had been followed by intense combat. His beardless face was now clear of the dried and caked blood from the jelly attack and his lost eye was covered by a dark leather patch which bore the neatly stitched crest of the Falgen clan. The scars from previous battles were now readily apparent on his along with the fresher burn scars from the battle at the gate.

Sparky, his longaxe, was strapped to his back. Sparks danced and skittered at random across the intricate wrought designs on it's broad face. It, too, had been cleaned and gleamed brightly in the sun.

Seeing the flames and hearing the odd voice from Dolin startled him. He wasn't quite sure what was happening but that never really bothered him. Without warning, Sparky is in his hands and he leaps at the human, heedless of the flames.

HP 75/75 AC:23
Active Stance: Leaping Dragon Stance
Readied Manuevers: Pouncing Charge, Fountain of Blood, Iron Heart Surge, Claw at the moon

Using Pouncing charge and leap attack to attack Mathos with PA:5 (using Heedless charge to reduce AC):

New AC:16
Jump check: DC(5) [roll0]

Attack 1
To Hit: [roll1] (+2 for charge)
Damage: [roll2] (+15 PA + Leap attack) + [roll3]

Attack 2
To Hit: [roll4] (+2 for charge)
Damage: [roll5] (+15 PA + Leap attack) + [roll6]

LordDice
2013-12-18, 07:47 PM
Seeing his brother charge recklessly into the inferno at the words of..whatever the hell had become of his friend.

Looking at his newly repair armor, now sootied and charred he almost sighs.
So much for being nicely polished for the upcoming meeting.

Stepping back from the raging fire as the light gleams off his hematite flesh and onyx beard. His stone armor at least seems to have stood up decently to the flames.

A glance towards Sid and some unheard conversation has him dipping into the earth as he gestures towards the flaming earth before him.

A large shape starts to form of the dust and ash, solidifying quickly into a giant bear right next to this chained abomination only to strike at him immediately.

Sid's just diving for now, getting away from the fire.
SNA 4 for a Brown Bear to attack and grapple
Attack Claw 1 [roll0]
Attack Claw 2 [roll1]
Attack Bite [roll2]

Damage Claw 1 [roll3]
Damage Claw 2 [roll4]
Damage Bite 1 [roll5]

Grapple [roll6]

Fates
2013-12-18, 07:56 PM
The man's expression shifts slowly from a grimace to a look of surprise as the dwarf vaults towards him. The swing is aimed perfectly, and the longaxe's blade bites deep into his chest. He gazes upwards as the second blow comes arcing towards his exposed head, but he does not move, or so much as flinch. His bloodshot eyes slam shut, and, even as the blade seems about to hew him, one of the chains binding him shoots outwards with a metallic ring, and the air is pierced with the sound of the grinding of steel, and the chain, like a thing alive, or possessed by some fell power, catches the axe mid-swing, and wrenches it away.

Being nearer to the man, now, Taalkar can better make out his features. He looks absolutely venerable, his face creased and rippled, but, unnaturally, it looks at the same time unweathered, stretched...he looks old, perhaps, but not aged. There is no grandfatherly light in his eyes, nor curmudgeonly knot in his brow. No experience, no lifetime of knowledge hidden in that visage.

He is adorned with countless symbols; some are tattoos, and some are ritual scars, but all are distinctly primordial- strange pictographs, some simple, and some elaborate, and each with a story, a secret meaning now long-forgotten. Around his remaining wrist, an amber-tinted tattoo of a snake catches the eye, and, along his arm, through the rips in his robe living snakes can be seen, writhing together, their eyes gleaming wickedly in the firelight as they stare silently and unblinkly upon this new meal.

The robe itself appears to have at one point been white, and indeed looks quite clean in the parts that are not caked in blood. A ruby-encrusted ring lies on his finger, the air around it shimmering faintly with protective magic. Around his back is slung a leather haversack, and on his chest, a strange dagger, dark and jagged and alien and stained with blood, is sheathed.

The man himself is horribly diseased, with fungal growths covering much of his body. He smells of blood and pus, and his eyes are full of pain and anger as they gaze into Taalkar's.

AC 25
HP: 35/87

Mr. X
2013-12-18, 08:26 PM
Even as the chains whip about, deflecting Taalkar's follow up blow, the great bear rears up behind the chained man, snapping at him with its teeth, and swiping at him with its great claws...

The chains curl and twist through the roaring flames... One snapping out and striking the Bear's nose, causing the beast to flinch back, as another twines around one of the Bear's arms, pulling away it's blow...

The Bear's final swipe finds its way through the writhing mass, however, tearing through the remains of the man's robe, ripping through the flesh of his back, hooking the countless links of chain, and lifting the Chained Man high into the air as the beast lets out a triumphant roar...

Despite the flavor text, no flanking bonuses are being applied until you actually maneuver into such a position.

Doilin, it's your turn.

GiedalCaine
2013-12-18, 10:05 PM
Acting more on instinct then rational thought, Doilin focuses his gaze on the fiend to unleash his dread pacts power.

In addition, he lashes out with the black miasmic force that seemed to work well on the wurm.

DIE FOR WHAT YOU ARE FOUL BEAST!

His ragged voice changing mid sentence between the myriad of personalities inhabiting his soul.

Move action to focus gaze, save dc 19 or 2d10 damage and 1d4 (I wrote down cha loss, was that supposed to be con?)

[roll0]
[roll1]

Also a ranged touch for the ennervation effect.

[roll2]

Mr. X
2013-12-18, 11:44 PM
Even as he struggles against the bear, the shout of Doilin's trio of voices draws his attention... The two make eye contact for barely a moment, before a torrent of sizzling black lightning erupts from Doilin's hands, arcing to the Chained Man, and and burning out his very essence.

For Malthos:

Your gaze is locked by the the Dwarven creature, and for a moment, time seems to stop as you peer into the horrid depths of its empty sockets... You feel yourself drowning in those empty pits of the ruined face, as though your very self could be erased by them... When you finally wrench your gaze free, and the dwarf raises his fingers, expelling into you a jet of crackling black lightning... You feel your essence being burned out of you, but you cannot help but recognize the power... This is not the first time you've felt it.

Make a Fortitude Save, DC 19. If you fail, take 4 damage, and 3 Charisma Damage.

Take 3 Negative Levels: -3 on all rolls, - 3 to Effective Level, -15 total HP.

Malthos, it's your turn.

Fates
2013-12-19, 05:54 AM
Fortitude save: [roll0]

The chained man howls in pain and anguish as the dark energies rip across him, draining his very life essence. His skin turns papery and taut, and the skin on his face barely now conceals his skull. The chains furiously attack the bear still holding him, bludgeoning it, tearing it away from their master.

Chains attack the bear.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Damage:
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

If the bear is downed after two or three attacks, the last attack(s) should be against Taalkar.

The bear disappears, and the chained man stands idle, drenched in gore and seemingly bewildered, before suddenly lifting into the skies above, a cacophony of rattling chains close behind.

Casting Swift Fly, then taking a move action to fly a full 60 feet upwards.

Barthac
2013-12-19, 04:45 PM
Taalkar screams to the troops, To ARMS! The enemy is at hand! Shoot that thing down! Don't let him escape!

There has to be a few archers or crossbowmen around!

Mr. X
2013-12-19, 05:30 PM
The roaring flames sear armor and sizzle flesh as the Chained Man struggles in the grips of the bear...

Taalkar and the bear both take damage: [roll=2d6+9[/roll] (Fire).

Even as he struggles, great lengths of chain whip out, the iron hooks and barbs twisting around the neck and back of the great beast, and seizing Taalkar's arms, ripping away great jagged chunks of flesh...

With a pain filled roar, the bear releases its grip on the Chained Man, and collapses into the mud... The swirling energies that made it up dissipating back to the other realms.

Before he even hits the ground, the chained man voices a string of syllables, and shoots up into the sky, narrowly avoiding Taalkar's follow up blow, and the Dwarf calls out to the archers...

Malthos, recover 4 hp from Fast Healing at the top of the round, but take damage: [roll0] from the chains for the spell.

There are 6 crossbowmen on hand to obey Taalkar's orders... As 1st Lv fighters, they've got +2 on their attacks, and so can actually only hit Malthos on a Natural 20.

Attack 1: [roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Attack 2:[roll3]
Damage:[roll4]
Attack 3:[roll5]
Damage:[roll6]
Attack 4:[roll7]
Damage:[roll8]
Attack 5: [roll9]
Damage:[roll10]
Attack 6: [roll11]
Damage:[roll12]

Karazi, It's your turn.

LordDice
2013-12-19, 06:06 PM
Karazi peers up at the sky...and his brother looking like he's about to try and jump at him any second.

Eyes narrowed at the fleeing man he gestures grandly at the skies, instantly lighting flashes down. Blinding those nearby and flashing off his polished eyes.

A massive crack of the lightning nearby nearly knocks some of the nearby tents over.

DC 16 Call Lightning
Damage [roll0]

Mr. X
2013-12-20, 01:32 PM
The blistering crack of thunder deafens all those nearby, as the blinding bolt arcs from the heavens into the quickly retreating man...

As your vision clears, you see the Chained Man plummeting from the sky...

Swift Fly shall end at the end of this round. Malthos' range remains at 60ft.

Doilin, it's your turn.

GiedalCaine
2013-12-20, 11:37 PM
NO HE WILL NOT ESCAPE ME!

Indeed, little on, I agree, best we end him and through such a display of force prove ourselves masters.

Will ye both shut up? I've got this.

Telekinetically grasping at anything within range that might give the creature pause Doilin reaches out around him toward the assembled dwarves, their shiny crossbows and stout bows at the ready, pulling free nearly a dozen arrows and bolts before flinging them skyward toward his foe.

Attack rolls and damage for 9 bolts or arrows, whatever he can get free from those around. Treated as daggers of their size, so 1d4 damage each.

Each attack is 1d20 + BAB + CHA so, 1d20 + 9 + 5
Attack:
damage:[roll]1d4+0
Attack:
Attack:
Attack:
Attack:
Attack:
Attack:
Attack:
Attack:

GiedalCaine
2013-12-20, 11:43 PM
I officially have no clue why the d4 rolls for damage aren't working. Trying in a new post.

damage:[roll0]
damage:[roll1]
damage:[roll2]
damage:[roll3]
damage:[roll4]
damage:[roll5]
damage:[roll6]
damage:[roll7]
damage:[roll8]

Mr. X
2013-12-21, 03:52 AM
The air fills with projectiles as the archers fire, and the surging power from Doilin rattles every loose object in the area, lifting many of them to fly with lethal accuracy at the Chained Man...

Bolts and arrows, stones and knives, even the stray axes and spears pelt the thing...

The writhing chains catch and bat away many and more of them, but even still, a few projectiles manage to lance through and strike true...

Malthos, take 8 damage from the onslaught.

It is the top of the round, Malthos, it's your turn.

Fast healing recovers 4hp.

Fates
2013-12-21, 08:27 PM
Hurtling through the air, the chained man lets out a short incantation, and the winds rush to his aid, slowing his descent. As he falls back into the ring of fire, his chains whip towards the hairless dwarf, pummeling him savagely, but avoiding vital areas. As he lands, Malthos presses his hand to his forehead, and waves of power flow invisibly through his body, rejuvinating him.

Making four attack against Taalkar with the chains, doing nonlethal damage, then casting Restoration. I take -3 to attacks because of the negative levels, but get +4 strength from the chains because I am under 0 hit points, giving me +2 to attack and damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Damage:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Fates
2013-12-21, 08:28 PM
Critical confirmation for 2nd attack: [roll0]
And extra damage: [roll1]

And taking a 5-ft step to come next to Taalkar.

Malthos steps towards the collapsed dwarf, scowling heavily. Over the roaring of the flames, he cries in a hoarse, wet tone, his voice full of fear, pain, and anger. Leave me! Let me go, now...

He coughs, blood running down his chin.
...or this one dies!

LordDice
2013-12-22, 01:10 AM
"Aye...that might stop most. But my brother there would kill me should I make that deal. You will die for this threat to my family abomination.

Gesturing towards the gathering dwarves getting their crossbows ready, he punches into the air as another lightning bolt lights up the sky with a massive boom.

"FILL HIM FULL OF HOLES" he shouts after the thunder dies down.

"Sid, Charge !" he shouts the last bit...only to have the earth explode under the feet of the Chained man whist bolts fall all around.

I've kinda lost track of where the fire is...but I'm taking another 5ft step away from fire...heh

Sid makes an appearance !
Attack [roll0] +2 from charge (-2 AC)
Damage [roll1]

Call Lighting
[roll2]

Mr. X
2013-12-22, 02:15 AM
The fires snuff out as the immense elemental explodes from the earth between the Taalkar and the Chained Man... The man twists away from the creature, even as a deafening blast of lightning streaks from the sky...

... Sparse fires burn about the area when your vision clears, but the man still stands, frantically stomping out a burning corner of the remains of his robes, when the archers pull themselves together.

Owing to their training in cramped quarters, and specific instruction in fighting in mountain tunnels and passes, all the dedicated archers of the Dwarven army possess the Precise Shot Feat, and this take no penalty for firing into combat. (Not that it matters.)

Archers Attack Malthos:

1. [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
2. [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
3.[roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
4. [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
5. [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
6. [roll10]
Damage: [roll11]
7. [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]
8. [roll14]
Damage: [roll15]
9. [roll16]
Damage: [roll17]
10.[roll18]
Damage: [roll19]
11. [roll20]
Damage: [roll21]
12. [roll22]
Damage: [roll23]

It seems impossible, for even under the deluge of arrows and bolts, only a single bolt strikes home... But it hits hard, staggering the Blighted man badly.

Malthos, you're at 3hp.

Doilin, it's your turn.

GiedalCaine
2013-12-22, 03:02 AM
Ye think, ye can just show up here, strike down one o' the few souls I kin call friend and then demand parlay on yer own terms? FIEND? See how you like being close to him now!

Seizing the moment, the enemies gaze, as well as telekinetically reaching out for Taalkar's glowing mythical axe, and any other spare weapons and blugeons he can find, he hurls them all towards the creature before him, with a maddening howl.

Focusing my gaze on him once again as well as making another set of attacks with Taalkar's axe leading the way.

Attack with the axe:[roll0]
Shocking:[roll2]
The rest treat as daggers again as I'm guessing the only thing I'll be able to pull with consistency is arrows.
Attack:[roll3]
Damage:[roll4]
Attack:[roll5]
Damage:[roll6]
Attack:[roll7]
Damage:[roll8]
Attack:[roll9]
Damage:[roll10]
Attack:[roll11]
Damage:[roll12]
Attack:[roll13]
Damage:[roll14]
Attack:[roll15]
Damage:[roll16]
Attack:[roll17]
Damage:[roll18]
Attack:[roll19]
Damage:[roll20]

GiedalCaine
2013-12-22, 03:03 AM
Another crit, roll to confirm
[roll0]
[roll1]
edit: Got hit by the forum timeout between posts guess that messed up the rolls.

GiedalCaine
2013-12-22, 03:06 AM
Another crit, roll to confirm
[roll0]
[roll1]

okay is this post different enough to get through the spam filter? we'll see!

GiedalCaine
2013-12-22, 03:13 AM
free action to speak, aye? :D

If ye know what's good for ye, end this now. Yer surrounded, outmatched and near ta death I'd wager. Drop yer weapons and we'll end ye with a quick death. May what afterlife yer granted be one o' bliss away from the corruption that now spreads through ye.

Unacceptable, host, he must be made to suffer!

Yes, boy, you are doing well with leadership. Don't tip your hand too much though, you've yet to establish real control. You must seize it!

Mr. X
2013-12-22, 04:02 AM
The Chained Man struggles and fights to remain standing, but the onslaught is too much...

He staggers to one knee, his chin lifted sharply up by the point of a broken bolt, telekinetically pressed against his throat...

Malthos, it is your turn.

You may recover 4hp.

You are well aware of the fact that your life has just been very deliberately spared.

Fates
2013-12-22, 05:51 PM
The chained man sputters and wheezes, gasping for breath. He is now positively drenched in blood, most of it his own. He focuses his power for a brief moment, and the roaring circle of flame dissipates. His mutated flesh begins to re-knit, and from his throat comes some manner of guttural clacking that might be laughter. He convulses, and coughs up yet more blood. Drop my weapons? Drop my weapons? Well, dwarf, were I able... He rips off a piece of his robe to reveal the spiked chains that he bears, tearing and twisting into his flesh. He chuckles morbidly. ...I would be happy to oblige. He sputters once more, his whole body shaking from the pain of speaking. Yes, you have bested me, and for that I laud you...few can say that they have faced Malthos, or indeed any of the godsent, and lived... Though in my case, god-spurned may be a more appropriate title. I assure you, whatever Hell that once awaited me, I will never see it. I am too far gone for that, now. When I die, I can say with no small pleasure that my soul will go with me- devoured by the gods of blight. Yes, I will welcome death, when it does come, but I plead you...this is not the hour for that. His bleeding has stopped now, and he seems to have regained some of his strength. I find myself quite lucid in this state, so allow me to explain.

Surely, as dwarves, you must understand the burden of duty, of responsibility? I have been afflicted by the blight, yes. A result, no doubt, of my own actions. I have tapped into the energies of the accursed gods- I do not regret what I have done, for though it has led to my own corruption, that was a risk I accepted long ago, and I have saved a great many lives as a result. But my mind is not yet gone. If the world is to be saved from the blight, we will need every resource, every piece of information, and every person willing and able to fight it. Were it not for my own actions, the world may not have been so scourged. How can I possibly allow myself to die, without having seen that right?

Malthos looks up, but his eyes seem empty, as he gazes into another realm, staring deeply and soberly into the eyes of the ghost who hovers before him.

Or, if nothing else, to devote all the strength that remains within me to doing so. Before I was this..thing you see before you, I was yet a man- young, and brash, and filled with passion. I wanted nothing more than to free the people of my village, and to slaughter the men who killed and enslaved them. In those years, in that desperation for vengeance, I thought myself a righteous man. I was not, and I am not. But I am a powerful man, and a knowledgeable one. Perhaps moreso than anyone else alive; I say this without pride or impotence, for that power is what has cursed me to this...existence. I wish to the good spirits that it were not mine to bear, and that I could live a simple, peaceful life, but the power is mine nonetheless, and I will do whatever it is I must do to ensure that it is put to just use. Surely, if the blight cannot be cured, it can at least be treated? I have given so much of myself...there must be something more I can give. Whatever the price, I will do what I must to keep the blight from my mind, even if I cannot purge it from my body.

All I ask is a day. One day, and if I have not found a way, I will return, and I will give myself to the dragon's blade. I beg of you, as I have twice already. Leave me now. Let me go. His eyes lose their cold intent, and cloud with helpless tears.

GiedalCaine
2013-12-23, 12:18 AM
Glancing to Karzai before speaking, Doilin's voice takes on a commanding, haughty tone.

Why play the fool then, human? Why appear suddenly inside an armed camp. Are you that dense that ye'd risk so much ta do so? Surely ye must know somethin' of tha great fight just waged here? Again' creatures who look'd only a we bit worse the wear then yerself?

Silently, inside Doilin, a young lass beats at the walls of his soul, the fire and rage slamming her host in metaphorical torrents of flame and shrieks of hate.

Fates
2013-12-23, 09:19 AM
Malthos shakes his head. I assumed I would appear near ordinary conscripts, at which point I'd easily make my escape. I had no idea the Deep Mote had warriors of your skill on call....

He mutters gravely. I came here just after the Boy King ordered my execution. Whether or not my companions have convinced him otherwise, I do not know.

Please, do not take me back there. I cannot bear for them to see me like this. They... well, most of them are kind, and virtuous folk. They are truly more than a man such as myself could ask for, or deserves. I would not wound them again with my hideous presence. I would not be remembered like this... He breaks into slow, quiet, excruciating sobs, and he convulses once more.

Mr. X
2013-12-23, 01:28 PM
For Doilin:

"Do not believe his lies!! The Blight took my father and brother and sent them back to consume us! My Mother burned herself to prevent it from taking her!

He seeks yet to live because it has already taken him! He was among those who broke the Seal!!

If you free him, he shall return only to consume you all!!"

LordDice
2013-12-23, 10:47 PM
"And because of that I'm loathe to just let you go at this time...the King is our ally, one we desperately need. I can only imagine how he would take us letting you just pass right along."

As he speaks he gestures at his brother, a small aura infuses him for a moment as Sid drags him away from the Chained Man during this parlay.

"No...I think you'll be coming with us, unless you've got even more tricks up your sleeve."

"You move and you die. Guards, wrap the chains around his arms and legs completely, put spikes of metal through the links and bind them thoroughly.

"Shackle his hands and even a muzzle for now, I want Guardsmen with a dagger to the base of his skull at all times...if you even get the slightest feeling that he's up to no good you jam that thing up into his brain pan before he finishes"

"And then Drag his ass with us, we've got a King to meet as soon as my brother is back among the awake."

Mr. X
2013-12-23, 10:52 PM
For Doilin:

"Do not let him live. Surely you shall regret it as I have... Kill him now, for you may never get another chance!"

GiedalCaine
2013-12-24, 12:07 AM
Ye forget, lass, I'm still the one in charge here. We're gonna let this play fer now. It was yer insistence that threw us in tha fire ta begin with.

Inward monologue completed, Doilin takes a blackened soot covered piece of fabric from his pocket. It appears to be a burnt part of the generals tent. He wraps it somberly over his hollowed eyes before turning his attention to Taalkar and Karzai once again.

Mr. X
2013-12-27, 04:13 AM
For Doilin:

Miriahnna mutters and spits, but eventually falls silent.

Doilin all your rolls are subject to a -1 penalty, as per the 'Failure to uphold the influence of the Pact'. (I'm making that title up, cuz I can't remeber the real one, but the effect is the same.)

A great number of the soldiers have gathered by now, and when the order is given, a veritable forest of pikes circle the Chained Man, pressing sharply into his diseased flesh, even as it knits itself closed before your eyes.

Rows of crossbowmen aim over the shoulders of the pikemen, while the Gaoler is fetched...

Bryce Warden is thin and wirey for a dwarf, and is well known for making his own devices of inprisonment. He and his five lads arrive at length, and begin work on the chained man.

... It is readily apparent that this is not the first time they've bound a caster, and they have indeed, put thought and imagination to the task at hand.

The forest of spears parts only enough to allow Warden and his men room to work, and press tight against the Chained Man anywhere he can immediately be reached.

They begin by forcing a steel ball-gag into his mouth. Then they sit him down, bend him forward, and cross his arms, pinning the razor edged crystalline structure beneath his good arm, and manacle the thumb of his good hand to the big toe of his opposite foot.

His chains are then wound about him, their lengths crisscrossed countless times about his body, and at each crossing, a steel lock affixes the chains to each other, and to his body.

Throughout all this, the soldiers do not drop their guards even for a moment. When it is finally complete, the Chained Man is dragged uncerimoniously onto a wagon, and eight soldiers mount up with him to maintain their guard.

In the meantime, under Karazi's treatment, Taalkar has recovered, and barring the mess made of your dress forms by the fight, the prisoner, wagon, and guard are prepared to move out as soon as you give the signal.

Mr. X
2014-01-07, 08:41 PM
It takes a short while to get the Chained Man hog-tied, but before long, your troop is ready to move out.

As you approach the Command Tent of the Boy King, you witness the approach of a small party that you instantly recognize from the stories of the 'Godsent'...

The Dragonborn, if he ever was human, is no longer. The immense reptile, wrought in the shape of a man, stands a head and shoulders over the tallest of Star Spire's knights, and twice that again over the head of a dwarf. Bare flames flicker and dance off the brow of his draconic visage, giving the impression of a golden crown atop his head, as vast, silver-purple scaled wings flex and contract off his shoulders as he approaches. Clad in battle scarred armor near as immense in stature as the creature who wears it, you cannot help but note the near-luminescent silver sheen of the metal your homeland was named for. Furthermore, the design, despite being flat and unadorned but for the scars it has earned, is something of a mechanical marvel. Each joint of the Mythril plates is fastened together and supported by an array of wheels, geers, and springs, such as to amplify the creature's already not inconsiderable strength and agility. From a quiver between his two great wings spouts a veritable forest of what must be long-spears to lesser men, but likely are merely javelins to him, and in his taloned claw, he holds a singularly confusing pole-arm: it's haft crafted from the thighbones of giants, it's balance maintained and corrected by lumps of solid gold, it's blade, nearly long as that of a greatsword, and so oddly unevenly, and squarely serrated, that it brings to mind more mechanical intents, that destructive ones... This, though, does not make it's razor keen edges appear any less deadly.

Behind him, strides a young man, a sailor. Clad in the loose sleeves and light chain-shirt of a man of the ocean, he moves with an almost uncanny grace, as though even were the earth to buck beneath him, it would be to him merely the rolling of the waves, and he would be troubled no more by it. From his hip hangs a sword that knows no equal... Through the camps, you'd heard whispered tales of a blade the soldiers were calling 'The Sword of Destiny', as though it might cut the threads of fate, and with a flourish, re-weave them to a pattern of its liking... If such a blade were to exist, this is it.

Trailing near the sailor, is a girl whom you first mistake for a child... You realize suddenly that she is one of the small people, a halfling... Clad in the simple, now faded, white shift of the Orders of Lathander, she bears no weapon that you can see... But a brilliant, teardrop emerald sits embedded in her forehead between her eyes, and fresh blood drips from her hands...

Following behind them all is another man. Older than ther first by perhaps a decade, and clad in beige scholar's robes. These are contrasted by a heavy leather belt about his waist, strung with the numerous small pouches, branded with some arcane seal, and tucked with a knife that is not so dissimilar in design from the Dragonborn's great polearm. Most striking, though, are his feet... Where one foot is heavily booted, the other is bare, skeletal bone. Coated in solid gold, and etched with an array of arcane sigils.

For All:

Please move to the thread The Meeting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16745827#post16745827) to continue this scene.

Mr. X
2014-01-13, 11:40 PM
[Placeholder for the events in the first section of the meeting.]

Mr. X
2014-01-13, 11:50 PM
As your army returns to camp, it is apparent that a number of Star Spire's camp followers have bled over to your side.

Many are doubtless Beluvan refugees, too young or too old or weak to merge with the army, and follow to beg and provide 'services' for the soldiers who need them.

Many more are simply beggars, prostitutes, and doubtless thieves, gathered along the road.

LordDice
2014-01-14, 06:18 PM
Taking care of some business before having to get back to the meeting with Great Gate and the others he strides into Centurion Fallingrock's tent with some purpose.

"Ah, glad I caught you here still. We got a scroll that needs to be learned by as many of our Warmagi as possible, it does remarkably well dealing with our new enemy I'm told"

Turning to the Centurion's clerical assistant "Grab some parchment lad and write this bit down. We need some manner of trap utilizing this new spell, one to screen the new refugees that we'll be putting to work and one somewhat central in the camp, every troop will need to trigger it and be checked."

"The enemy is both cunning and unpredictable, we know they are using some sort of fungal infection. We need to make sure that no infected make it into our camp and start spreading that. Maybe I worry over nothing, but it's better than losing a legion or more to the Enemy"

"Tell the Magecrafters it needs to be mobile if possible, maybe they can put it on a battle standard or something."

"Once the battle starts we may just leave those near the Cannon Corps as a little extra protection. If the Magecrafters don't have too much trouble with it, make extras hell. But we need 2 at least"

"Now I've got to go see Stonefoot about putting the refugees to work after they've been screened"

Mr. X
2014-01-14, 06:24 PM
Fallingrock salutes, and sends his assistant running shortly after your departure.

Mr. X
2014-02-02, 05:12 PM
[Placeholder for Events of the Meeting]

Mr. X
2014-02-02, 05:46 PM
The sun rises cold and grey over the next morning, and heavy, wet flakes of snow fill the air.

Already Star Spire's camp is pulling up its stakes and making ready to move out, but it will likely take them the better part of the day to get fully under way.

It is in this early part of the day that your three Centurions assemble to receive your orders on how to prepare for the siege.

LordDice
2014-02-03, 12:11 AM
Glancing at the Centurions as they enter the command tent, maps and detailed sheets of stocks lie across the table in a working mess.

Pulling a larger roll out from a coffer nearby he spreads out the large map of the area.

"For the time being we're going to be working on bottling them up in Beluvah. Star Spire will be leaving some of their Silver Horsemen to aid us here. But for the most part it's the Gaties and ourselves keeping this mess from spreading. Spire's chickened out a bit at their losses and want to build some kind of superweapon ....for whatever that is worth."

"In the meantime we're going to do what we do best, Cycle the Mages every day, a third of them will use their power to pull and shape better fortifications from the earth. We'll build walls just like home, protecting ourselves as well as we can."

"While we're doing that I want ideas from each of you regarding breeching their defences. If we can figure some way to hit them hard, it could be well worth it."

"Need to train up some of our infantry as well as possible to get our cannon crews up to snuff, Lets make it happen"

"That's it, don't get on the wrong side of the Gaties if you can help it, Alright, get to it. I've got to get over to the field hospital, got an appointment with the clerics here in a few. ...Dismissed"

Mr. X
2014-02-03, 12:45 AM
Dorin Fallingrock salutes, saying,

"Raising the Bulge already did much of the work for us. I'll see to getting Cannon emplacements established along it's length."

Garret Stonefoot says,

"The contingent of Silver Horsemen has already reported for duty. Five Thousand heavy horse are at your command. I have them stabled in reserve, awaiting further orders."

Boris Heavyhaft states,

"For assault ideas, kicking the hive went badly, but if thos banners work the way they ought to, it may be possible to send a crack team over the walls to see what they can see, and mayhap dish a little damage from within."

Mr. X
2014-02-03, 02:34 AM
Moving an army is a slow and ponderous ordeal, and as orders go out, you have plenty of time to devote your focus to other tasks.

The clergy of Moradin does their work well, and clears your minds of the damage done by the jellies, and work on the Banners proceeds well under way.

As the day progresses, you watch Star Spire's force shrink into the distance, while Great Gate's force moves in to take their place.

A curious note, as maneuvers a being carried out, a large portion of Great Gate's force, complete with supply train, breaks off from the main host, and heads North... Shortly after, a runner arrives to explain the move.

"Greetings my lords, I am sent to describe His Majesty King Albert, Sixth of his name, of Gunther's Line's maneuvers, so as not to alarm your lordships."

He heaves a breath, after getting out that mouthful, before pointing to the main force moving into Star Spire's previous position.

"The Main force of the Army shall uphold the Southern and South-Western flanks, While His Majesty expects your forces to uphold Western and Northern flanks, to which he extends the offer to bolster your forces with heavy horse should you wish it."

He points to the group heading North, taking another deep breath,

"His Majest King Albert, Sixth of his Name, of Gunther's Line, has sworn to provide aid, support, and solace to the refugees stranded outside the walls of Stone Watch. That contingient there moves to uphold that oath."