PDA

View Full Version : Something Wicked this way Comes...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Barthac
2016-09-08, 09:09 AM
Ah there you are, he says to the kneeling figure, This poor fella, he thumbs over his shoulder at the lost soul, Needs a place to stay. See that he gets taken care of for me. Also, try and see if there are any other lost souls floating around here. Wouldn't want them gettin' eaten in the afterlife. You might need help with that, though.

He turns back to meet shocked expressions, Did I forget to mention that part? He shrugs.

Mr. X
2016-09-08, 10:23 AM
The angel's eyes turn on the soul. It moves forward, taking the man gently in its arms, and with another crack of thunder, it vanishes.

The rest remain staring at you in stunned silence.

Karazi, I'll let you take the lead here.

LordDice
2016-09-08, 09:10 PM
Somewhat stunned by this turn of events he looks towards his brother much like the others. "Um. Brother I must have missed something. Err, When did you get uh...Minions ?"

Barthac
2016-09-20, 01:42 PM
Taalkar glances at Claudus and Freddy before answering with a shrug, You pick up some things along the way.

Taalkar stares at his foot for a second before looking back up, I don't just sit around waiting all day for you guys to finish drawing your circles, ya know.

Mr. X
2016-09-20, 02:21 PM
Fredric blinks, but then chuckles.

"Heh, indeed. And perhaps, therefore, there may yet be hope for us all."

Turning his back to you, he indicates the surrounding flagstones, stretching off into the mists, with a sweeping gesture.

"I fear our plan here may be for naught, however... If the denizens of this realm feed upon the souls passing through, no doubt bringing a large number of people here can only spell disaster for them, if they cannot be secured somehow."

He glances at Karazi, and then at Sid.

"Even if we were to erect a city here to hold all the people, we would still, no doubt be facing a heavy and ongoing battle to defend it."

He turns back to Taalkar,

"Though, defending it might not be so impossible if your 'minions' may be brought to bear... Can they?"

LordDice
2016-09-22, 04:13 PM
"Aye, Although it saddens me to agree....I'd have never imagined such a thing awaiting us. I guess Nature has it's predators everywhere...even the places between places"

"I'm not even sure how we'd go about defending from such things, it was hard to notice...and took over a strong mind like your own with ease it seems."

"Minions or no, it would still be quite dangerous here..."

Barthac
2016-09-22, 04:17 PM
I honestly don't know what they are capable of... he glances down at his hand remembering what happened with his fist a moment ago, It's all new to me and there's no one left to show me what I can do...

He looks up with a grin Couldn't we just ask them??, turning his back he yells out into the void-black abyss of the astral plane, Oy there youshiny eyed flying gnome herders... come over 'ere a second...

Mr. X
2016-09-23, 01:21 AM
For Taalkar:

Please roll 1d20+20 to determine the number of angels who heed your call.

Barthac
2016-09-23, 01:43 AM
Angels:[roll0]

Mr. X
2016-09-27, 01:32 AM
Your call echoes out into the mists, ultimately to fall into silence in the padding of the gray mists...

... For a moment, it seems that your call has fallen on deaf ears, and that none shall answer...

... But then turning, you find your host surrounding you... Dozens of them... Standing still as statues, their faces placid as carved stone.

None move, or make any acknowledgement of you, but you are acutely aware that they are in your service, and that they await your command.

LordDice
2016-10-08, 12:38 PM
Chuckling to himself a bit "You really do have minions ! But they don't seem to do much without instruction I guess...just kind of staring there"

Barthac
2016-10-08, 01:04 PM
Taalkar looks blankly at the angels, unsure of what to do...

Can one of ya talk? I need some scouting of this area and I need to figure out if'n we can protect a bunch o' refugees if they were to stay here.

Mr. X
2016-10-12, 01:57 AM
At your mere suggestion, a dozen of the angels surround you in a defensive ring, and begin marching outwards, as though walking along the spokes of a wheel. The rest spread their wings and take flight, quickly disappearing into the mists.

A single angel remains standing before you...

"I am Tourel, the Tongue. I shall speak for your servants, my brethren, oh lord."

It's voice is soft, and oddly almost effeminate... Like a mother cooing to a child.

After only a short moment, it continues.

"The stone upon which we stand, extends a length of one hundred meters in each of the four prime directions, forming a platform two hundred meters square.

Beyond this, the stone terrain ends, and stable foundation cannot be found.

The denizens of this plane shy from my brethren, but with so much ground to cover, it would be irresponsible to claim that we few might ensure the safety of the several hundred thousand my lord hopes to house here."

The creaure's burning eyes turn on Karazi.

"Perhaps if your sibling's allies and servants were to join our ranks, the scales might be tilted more in our favor."

Barthac
2016-10-12, 07:32 AM
Taalkar turns his head to look at Karazi... Well??

LordDice
2016-10-13, 04:19 PM
"Can safely say I can't remember having any lil floating guys like you around, There's always been Sid here...but he's always been with me....Now I did have a dream about some little floating rocks the other night, but I think that was just dinner.

Mr. X
2016-10-13, 04:34 PM
Sid flows up, standing stoically beside you, and resting a heavy fist upon your shoulder.

At your uncertainty, he rumbles quietly in Terran.

"... Home.."

LordDice
2016-10-13, 08:51 PM
"There were others there ?, So focused upon my Brother that ...I need to go back soon."

Losing his train of thought for a moment as he contemplates.

"We'd need more stone overall if .. muttering to himself now.

Looking back up at his brothers servant Tourel

"Allies you say...perhaps I can call them as my brother did ? ...worth a shot though"

Sliding his hand into the stone stab he summoned earlier he grinds out a single word in Terran .. Help ..

Mr. X
2016-10-14, 03:31 AM
The stone slabs hum under your touch, instantly responding to your word... And a moment later, earthen shapes begin forming up around you...

A dozen at first, but then more, and then more... Some tower enormously over you, others are hardly more than the pebbles taking life. Some are vaguely humanoid, but many are merely shifting formations of rock, indestinguishable from normal terrain when they sit still.

In the end, a multitude of forms huddle before you...

The grinding, cracking, and rumbling of the shifting stones, you suddenly realize is a steady Terran chant.

"He is our shepherd, and we are his flock..."

Barthac
2016-10-14, 09:09 AM
Taalkar rolls his eyes... Some people just have to show off.

LordDice
2016-10-15, 09:55 PM
Addressing the multitude of Elementals nearby he tells them in common. "You are to guard this place, with my Brothers angels. We hope to move people here for a safe haven"

"Will you help me in this matter ?"

Mr. X
2016-10-16, 03:37 AM
The elementals respond as one.

"It shall be done! It shall be done!!"

They begin spreading out, taking up defensive positions. Many quickly vanish into the mists, while several remain, surrounding you.

LordDice
2016-10-20, 08:53 PM
"Well, maybe that'll be enough to protect us from the dangers of this place. Although I'm thinking we could stand some serious magics as well protecting the area. I'm sure somebody has figured out some decent magical wards at the college ...if not we better get some of those wizards on it "

Barthac
2016-10-21, 12:03 AM
Well, those two can figure out that stuff

Taalkar turns to Tourel, Tourel, the Tongue of Taalkar... has a nice ring to it.

Come here a sec laddie, I was wonderin' if I could send you on a special mission but I just met ya and I dunno what you can even do. So, here's how this is going to work. I'm going to tell you what you I am thinking and I want you to tell me what you think of it. Can you do it, can you not do it, is there something I missed or need to know... that kind of thing.

There's a large group of dwarves huddled in deepmote, hiding deep. Then there's whats left of the army from Beluvah heading east and south I think. Can you go talk to them for me? Well, really just say something to them. Maybe something about the old gods dying and new ones being born. Tell them about Taalkar and how I now sit in Moradin's throne. See if you can get them to start following me, even prayers would help right now.

Can you do that, Tourel, the Tongue of Taalkar, Messenger of the gods?

Mr. X
2016-10-26, 02:22 AM
Tourel nods, and vanishes in a crack of thunder.

Alone again, but for a few of Karazi's elementals, Fredric turns to you.

"The College has a number of wards and protections it can provide, both against physical assailants, and spiritual ones.

I'll need to return for reference material, as I do not currently have the spells prepared... Though, to that end, perhaps I ought to delegate the casting, as I have proven to be something of a liability in this realm."

Barthac
2016-10-26, 08:11 AM
Taalkar looks around at the area, This is certainly dire times to be bringin' so many people to such a place. Brother, ya got your work cut out for you tryin' to create something new here.

While we plan for defense here I don't think we give up over there, either. We need to start gathering together those we can and try and fight the blight again.

LordDice
2016-10-27, 08:29 PM
"Give up, no....But we can't waste many resources defending that place in the end. Have the wizards working on building this place out and maybe we can survive."

"Everyone works in groups of 5 or more here for now, constant vigilance on any kind of odd behavior. I'm going to take a detour before heading back to the College. I need to revisit that place I shifted to during the fight...Seems like it might be important. At the very least I can pick up some more materials to work with and get a good nights rest. Nothing so restful as being surrounded by stone"

Mr. X
2016-11-01, 12:11 PM
Fredric nods.

"Very well. We shall return to the Collage and make ready for your return."

So saying, he takes Taalkar and Claudus by the shoulders, and with a chanted word, they vanish.

Fredric casts Plane Shift.
Arrive [roll0] miles off target
[roll1] (For direction)

Mr. X
2016-11-01, 02:16 PM
For Taalkar:

While Fredric's means of teleportation have never been terribly comfortable, Vark's formula for plane-surfing is nothing short of topsy turvy... And it doesn't help that it never seems to set you precicely on the ground.

When you appear, you have just a moment to view the immense rippled yellow wall stretching out in all directions before you, before you smash face first into it, and get a mouthful of sand.

Vertigo takes you as the world swims around you, and your brain bends itself trying to associate 'down' with the correct direction.

You flounder in the sand for a moment, before sorting yourself out.

Even in what is now the dead of winter, it is uncomfortably hot here. The sand all but sizzles against your skin, and as Frdeic and Claudus get their bearings beside you, you have a chance to take a look around.

The first thing that catches your eye, is a grinning skull, staring up at you.

The skeleton sits against a short outcropping of rock, just a little ways away, and is scorched black... As is the stone. And it is not the only one... Looking around, the area is scattered with the bones of the dead. Humanoids and animals alike, along with the burnt out remains of what must once have been trees and foliage.

A hot wind blows, the sands stinging your eye, and making it difficult to see clearly.

Far off to the north, waivering in the heat, you can see the shadow of a rise or ridge... A low mountains, perhaps, or high hills.

In every other direction, there is little as far as the eye can see... Just the sands, and the scattered bones.

LordDice
2016-11-01, 04:48 PM
Seeing them leave he turns to Sid ""Back Home for us, at least for a bit" Magics whirl about his feet as the stone beneath him forms a portal.

Mr. X
2016-11-02, 02:31 AM
For Karazi:
Where waters and winds are difficult to grasp, and the planes layer weirdly over one another, stone is a comfortingly honest and unchanging constant.

Sliding into the stones, you slip easily between the planes, and emerge back in the chamber you formed on your first visit to this place.

The veins of diamonds and sapphires still glitter, starlike overhead, the walls are still intricately carven like those of the Falgen halls you knew as a child...

... The funerary slab where you laid your brother still dominates the space...

Seeing it sends a flash of memory through you, like a knife thrust into your gut... You remember Sid laying him there... Remember watching helplessly as Malthos impaled him on that blighted crystalline spike...

Malthos... Whom now you must consider turning to for help in dealing with the Titan...

... As the memories fade, you become aware of many entities peering uncertainly at you... The very stones of this place themselves, you realize, are very much alive, and they watch you. Waiting.

LordDice
2016-11-02, 06:28 PM
"This is where the first Stoneshapers connected to...it must be. For ages the Falgen have been borrowing power from this place to move our stone.

Turning to Sid he continues "We dragged you from here, when I was but a boy. Binding you to myself..."

"Dozens of generations of Stoneshapers experimenting with magics, You and I were the closest they ever came. By taking a piece of your stone into myself I've been able to change the very nature of my Dwarven body."

"I cannot seem to go further though...perhaps your Kin have the answers mine sought after"

Addressing those he can feel watching ""I am Karazi, The Living Stone. I would speak with an Elder if yours if possible"

Mr. X
2016-11-03, 01:52 AM
An immense boulder detaches itself from the the wall and moves toward you.

Slow, almost glacial like, it is followed be a river of smaller stones and pebbles that eventually conjoin together into a form not wholly humanoid... It is so enormous it nearly fills the whole of the chamber, and when it speaks, it's voice is like the deep rumblings of the quaking earth...

"Karazi the Living Stone... You have questions... I shall answer where I am able.

LordDice
2016-11-03, 04:58 PM
"What is this place really ? Feeling so safe and secure... It's like no place I've ever been upon the world, I'm coming to suspect it isn't even a part of the real world is it ?"

"I came to feel safe, there was a connection here though Sid I guess. Those like him and yourself that Stoneshapers have called upon for ages. And called upon them I have, many times. But never like just now, always just a few came...never the shear numbers such as before. What has changed that so many of your Kin would leave to assist us like that ?"

Mr. X
2016-11-03, 07:02 PM
There is a long, and perhaps, pregnant pause before the enormous elemental speaks again... Peering at the structure it has formed for its head, you find it completely implacable... Much like Sid. Despite the years you've spent together, you've always found it impossible to get a real read on your stoic companion, and the mountainous being that stands before you now is no different.

"Changed... It is you that has changed, Living Stone."

It rumbles before you.

"You were the first of your kind ever to come here... Your kind are like the moss that grows in our cracks... Their lives of little concern to the stone on which they grow..."

It passes an appending structure over its head.

"The earth is strong, but it is blind...

You have found direction for the world and are guiding and protecting it to its end...

You have become its shepherd...

... And we follow."

LordDice
2016-11-07, 04:39 PM
"I see, I didn't even realize I had changed that much...but you are correct."

Turning from the Elder he looks again upon this place that feels like such a home to him, unconsciously even working the stone as he looks around...reshaping it to match his memories of the Falgen halls.

Eventually deciding to expand upon the Chamber he starts making a few tunnels and rooms, Spending some time he carefully details out a sleeping chamber.

Epic battles come alive as the stone on the wall ripples under his magics, a timeline of his life coming to be upon the walls. Great battles and small victories alike.

Finally he lies down upon a classically shaped Dwarven bed...to rest for the upcoming day.

Mr. X
2016-11-22, 02:43 PM
For Karazi:

There is a sense of serene peace as you drift off to sleep in this place... One which you've not felt in a long time...

But your dreams are fraught...

In the earth you sleep, deep and dark, and at peace...

Something drips on your cheek... wet, tasting heavy with iron...

... You realize that you are but one stone in a cobbled street. Upon you a man kneels, robed in the tenements of Nerul, his hands clasped in suplication... Blood pouring from his chest.

Over him stands the horrid visage of a skeletal knight, armored in the heavy black plate of Great Gate, it's sword thrust through the mans chest.

Down the road, bodies fill the streets... While the living kneel, pray, and are summarily struck down by the undead soldiers.

Through the slaughter, a small cadre of priests passes, blessing those they see, and raising to unlife those who have been executed.

One speaks:
"Your God has called you forth this day. Let go your souls, for the disease cannot touch the soulless."

... Your vision slips... Pulling you away from the scene, racing down the streets, under countless similar repetitions of the slaughter, under the foundations of the city's towering black castle, it's spiked battlements and spear like towers a testament to times when it stood against enemies not upon the ground, but then which came from the skies...

It's foundation high upon the cliffs overlooking the western sea, you can see out to the two immense standing stones protruding from the water... Pitted and ancient, they are the Great Gate, it is said, from which all men first emerged...

But below in the water... Your bones ache...

... A palpable wave of fear washes over you, as you watch the waters far off begin to boil... As millions upon millions of sea creatures panic and flee from some thing that only they can see...

... Already a crab crawls over you, seeking the perhaps relative safety of the land... And then another, and then many more, as the veritable stampede begins...

You snap awake, the mercury of the Font sweating from your brow, and you jerk up to find your palace greatly expanded, and you are acutely awake of the life and willingness to serve of every stone within this realm...

Regaining your feet, the urgency of your vision is immediate... And the power of this place is yours.

Karazi, you receive the Divine Rank 1.

LordDice
2016-11-23, 11:19 AM
Bolting awake with a feeling of dread he tries to hold on to the details of the vision even as they start to slip away. With a sense of purpose he prepares himself. Must return to his brother and share this news, if it is the Titan...not even soulless undead could truly hold against it.

As the jolt wears off he realizes he can still feel everything like the dream...every rock around him and every soul within the rocks, as they slide around in an eternal dance, waiting but content for the earth itself has no worries.

Snapping himself out of it he snaps his armor back into place and picks up his staff, striding with focus as power sparks off into the wall forming a Path back to his Brother.

Barthac
2017-07-29, 12:21 AM
Taalkar spits sand out his mouth, glaring angrily at the empty skull in front of him.

I'm startin' ta think you do that on purpose. You know you and this guy, he points at the skull, have a lot more in common than I thought.

He continues as he stands to his feet, No brains in either of yer skulls! he guffaws loudly and slaps Frederic on the back. Glancing at the wizard's bone foot and then back at the skull he gulps. He had gotten more right than he meant to.

The real question, he continues awkwardly, trying to break the silence, is where in the nine hells did you take us?

Mr. X
2017-07-29, 01:32 AM
Fredric shakes sand out of his robes as you smack him, clearly not having fared any better than you in the transition.

"Something I learned very early in my studies, was that magic rarely works precicely the way you'd like it to, and is often less than comfortable in its results. To say that one grows accustomed to the uncertainty would be to put it too simply. One does, however, learn to... How might you put it, "roll with the blows"?

He straightens his cloak.

"As to where we are, I cannot say for certain."

His red eyes peer unblinkingly up at the sun.

"Given a few hours, I might be able to determine which direction North is, as the sun moves, but for now..?"

He shrugs.

"My guess is that we have arrived in the Dead Lands, south of the Southern Forest... If I am correct, we are, quite literally, off the edge of the map."

He purses his lips.

"Fascinating, is it not?"

Barthac
2017-07-29, 02:07 PM
Taalkar scratches his head, Did you bring us to the ass-end of nowhere on purpose?

Mr. X
2017-07-30, 02:57 AM
"Ahh, no. I did not... Rather, given the infinite possibilities available to us, am reasonably pleased with myself that I managed to land us in the correct plane at all. To say nothing of our placement within it."

He shrugs.

"I believe that I can return us to the Collage forthwith, if you have no further desire to explore this particular desert."

(For a moment, you get the feeling that Fredric would like nothing more than to forget the war, and spend the rest of his eternal life cataloging the bones strewn before you... But it is a passing moment, at best.)

Barthac
2017-08-08, 08:38 AM
No offense, lad but why don't you leave the plane hoppin' up to us next time. Every time I travel with you, bad things happen.

Taalkar looks around, Where did Claudus get to?

Mr. X
2017-08-09, 11:46 PM
Fredric purses his lips, but nods.

"If you possess the means, perhaps you are correct."

At that moment, there's a shuffling of sand, and Claudus appears from behind one of the ruins.

"Forgive me, I am here. I was..." he falters for a moment, "Caught a bit dizzy from the traversal."

He blinks twice rapidly, as though clearing his head, before looking expectantly from you to Fredric.

"Are we able to return to the Collage by your magics? If we are, we ought be off. Time is of the essence, is it not?"

Barthac
2017-08-11, 09:45 AM
I agree. Freddy, you get Claudus and I will meet you at the college.

Taalkar concentrates on Fredric's study and wills himself to appear there.

Mr. X
2017-08-11, 08:13 PM
Fredric nods, and takes Claudus by the shoulder. The pair vanish suddenly with an odd popping sound.

It takes you only a moment focus, and your surroundings fade, like watered paint, the details mixing and co-mingling until the focus into the interior of Fredric's Collage study.

Fredric and Claudus are there already, and a moment later, your brother appears. Returned from whatever errand engaged him within his own plane.

"Well..." Fredric begins, "That excursion was quite fruitful, I feel.

The formulae for the planar gateway appears fully functional and stable, and I can begin work on constructing a more perminant portal immediately.

So it remains to us only a few decisions; if and how to go about rallying the remaining unblighted people here to Clearwater and seeing them safely protected off this plane, and determining what to do with the foulblood Jory, and by extent, Malthos."

He passes his cold gaze over you all.

"Your thoughts?"

LordDice
2017-08-13, 09:40 AM
Looking up from a lump of stone he's been playing with he catches the last of what Fredric was saying. "Getting the Unblighted is going to be an issue I'm guessing. Mostly getting them here. We'll need to send quite a bit of Stone through the gateway too, or create a spell that just generates whopping amounts of stone whilst over there"

"I'm still working on my idea for Jory, I think it should work as a cure that we may be able to ritualize. I'll go check on him in a little while and see if the effects have worn off or not"

"e'll have to see about Malthos though"

Mr. X
2017-08-14, 01:26 PM
Fredric nods as Karazi departs.

"If a cure can be managed, it will no doubt be of great help."

He turns to Taalkar.

"I know that there is little love lost between you and Malthos... Have you any plans for dealing with him? Would you be open to negotiating an alliance?

For Taalkar:

As your brother departs for the dungeons, and Fredric talks of undesirable alliances, you get an itch in the back of your mind...

... An inkling, really, but one with unmistakeable certainty and foreboding...

A great battle is coming... Soon...

... Within the month, certainly... Perhaps within the week...

... It will occur to the West...

... At Great Gate, like as not.

... Whatever you're planning on doing, you'd best do it quick.

Mr. X
2017-08-14, 08:54 PM
For Karazi:

Returning to the top floor of the dungeon tower, you find the Blighted prisoner hanging chained from the wall as you left him.

The soft glow of cerulean light fills the room from the Seal branded upon the man's forehead, as the man himself hangs listless in his chains... His eyes rolled back in unconscious catatonia.

Barthac
2017-08-15, 09:22 AM
That blighted son of motherless goat-herder. He glances over at Fredric uneasily.

I know ye have a soft spot for him, but do you really think that's such a great idea? Malthos has attacked us at every meeting. Hells, he even murdered me once. Whats to stop him from stabbing us in the back. It would be the Battle of Beluvah all over again.

Mr. X
2017-08-15, 11:13 AM
Fredric chews his lips uncertainly.

"Desperation...?"

He bobs his head non-commitally,

"You are correct, though... I do hold a soft spot for him. As such I shall defer to your judgement as to what, if any, alliances might be struck."

LordDice
2017-08-16, 06:49 PM
Seeing the man in agony hanging there he doesn't waste any time, casting a more substantial Polymorph upon the man, un-Blighting him...hopefully for good this time.

As the man stirs he comments "We'll see if this helps, rest for now...things will become better"

This would be the Polymorph Any Object turning him back into a normal human, much like the previous Polymorph test, cept this would be permanent.

Mr. X
2017-08-17, 01:49 AM
For Karazi:

The spell you cast, not unlike the previous one you worked on this man, is complex, but not beyond your scope... And so should be no more difficult that any other...

And yet...

As you work the spell, you realize that this man's soul has been spoken for... And to cure him of the blight is to rob power from a being even greater than yourself...

As your magic begins to take hold, an insurmountable weight weighs upon you... Your vision waivers, and the world falls away from you...

... There cease to be walls around you, or ceilings above you...

All is absent mist... But for the crushing weight upon you...

Turning your eyes skyward, there is no sky... Only the millions of rolling, maniacle eyes staring down upon you...

... The titan awakens...

... And you would rob what is rightfully its...

You may drop the spell at will, if you wish, or you may make a Caster Level check (Effective caster Level + Divine Rank), to attempt to overcome the titan's power, and rescue this soul.

LordDice
2017-08-20, 01:34 PM
Straining under the weight of the sheer pressure of magics conflicting he falls to a knee straining his magic "One soul at a...time"

Caster Level would be 20 I guess.

Mr. X
2017-08-27, 09:10 PM
The weight of the thing is crushing, but your powers burn forth, shearing away the illusions of mists and eye-filled skies, and bringing you back into the dungeon chamber...

Before you, the man hangs limply in his manacles, exhausted.

The Seal branded into his forehead remains, but burns no longer...

His skin is clamy, and soaked with sweat, but is smooth... And blight free.

LordDice
2017-08-31, 08:38 PM
Taking a deep breath...more difficult than expected. Standing back up he comments to the now blight-free man hanging there "Whilst you will probably never know the part you truly played here, I thank you.

Reshaping the room he's in, he melts the chains into a small cot for the man to lay upon, whilst creating a small cell inside the room for the man.

"Now for the other part...lets hope the Titan doesn't have such a hold upon your daughter as he did upon you"

Closing his eyes stands perfectly still for a moment, feeling for the newfound divine energies from his Home, in the middle of the Cell a shape starts to form upon the floor, a statue of a girl lying on her deathbed you could mistake it for easily.

After a few moments an almost oppressive feeling of magic fills the room, runners of pure mana dancing upon sharp edges and small pools forming upon the floor as they quickly start to race towards the girl.

This would be Gift of Life, the divine ability. I felt like it needed a little flare. This is trying to raise his daughter by the way, to keep my word to him.Obviously I'd like to raise her un-blighted....but I dunno how that works.

Mr. X
2017-09-02, 03:25 PM
As your power fills the room, a pooling miasma seeps from the statue to contest it...

The man shrieks, as thunder and lightning blind and deafen him, while spines and teeth and eyes erupt from the miasma, only to be driven back by your immense power...

... At length, the battle subsides, and the remaining energies wash over the statue...

... It's skin softens...

... Her lungs draw breath...

... And she lives again.

LordDice
2017-09-10, 11:20 AM
Gasping a little at the effort expended therein he collects himself a bit "Well... I guess that was to be expected too... But my word is kept, and your daughter returned. You'll need to stay here for a short time for observation...but it shouldn't be long and will hopefully be a lot more comfortable. I'll ask for you to be well looked after"

Mr. X
2017-09-10, 12:59 PM
The man hangs exhausted from his chains, and begins weeping at the sight of his sleeping daughter.

"Thank you... Thank you..."

Barthac
2017-09-24, 08:40 PM
Taalkar chews on his upper lip thoughtfully as his thoughts return to the barren desert. Is that what is going to happen everywhere? he thinks. He glances down at his feet as he idly pushes a loose stone with the toe of his worn boot. Out of the corner of his eye he sees the bone foot of the man... wizard... thing, standing next to him. They had joined forces with Frederic as soon as they had met him. He was obviously in this fight for a different purpose and made for a strange, if useful, comrade.

Bad times make for strange bedfellows, he mutters into his beard. Turning to Frederic, If'n Malthos would help us, I guess we could reach some sort of deal. I just hope he doesn't stab us in the back to get back his pot of gold.

Mr. X
2017-09-26, 02:28 AM
"Heh." Fredric chuckles. "I am certain that Malthos has much better things to worry about than a pot of gold."

He removes an iron key from a ring at his belt, and hands it to you.

"This is the key to the foul-blood Jory's cell. Take him, and see if his connection to Malthos is as certain as he claims.

To that end..."

He withdraws a broken serpentine dagger from a pouch... The same ritual dagger you took from Malthos when you first encountered him so long ago.

With a waive if his hand, he fuses the blade back to the hilt, and with an additional wave, the strings of vile enchantments peel off his gauntleted fingers, and entwine themselves into the blade, making the evil thing whole once more.

His work complete, he hands the dagger to you.

"A peace offering, of sorts, should it be necessary."

Lastly, he withdraws the Iron Brand, which Malthos murdered you for only so recently.

"And, I expect that where you are going, you shall need this. Its work here is largely complete, so I trust that you shall find good use for it."

He hands you the Brand.

"I must remain to see to the construction of the Gate.

When you find your brother, if the direction is still relevant, the the Southern walls of Timaril are constructed largely of basalt blocks. Similar stones are plentiful enough upon this island, which I trust shall ease your passage."

He clasps his hands together.

"Farewell, and good luck."

Barthac
2017-09-28, 10:31 PM
Taalkar watches as the wizard disappears with a handclap. Looking closely at the key with his eye, he ponders what he has to do next. Why was he expected to find Malthos? Frederic actually knew the guy after all.

He reaches down to his belt for his favorite cup, this level of thinking generally required booze. Not finding it's target, his hand called to his brain for some assistance. His neck got the message and bent his head forward and down even as his eye tried to maintain a level gaze at the key. Suddenly finding himself looking down was a little disconcerting but he noticed something even more alarming, his cup was missing. He glances around the floor before he recalls dropping the cup in the desert after his trip with Frederic from the Astral Plane. He REALLY needs to work on his landings, he remarks to the stone walls.

It was then he came to another startling realization, he hadn't eaten or drank in days. It was strange. He had lived a hard life which often led to a scarcity of meals and even rarer boughts of drinking but he never remembered not being hungry like this. Looking at his waist he notices that his tunic was loose and sagging slightly. His once taught clothing now hung loose where his dwarven ponch once rode proudly.

Oy, I gotta do somethin' bout that. At that thought his stomache began to grow and stretch to fill the ample waistline of his armor. Much better, he says with a grin as he pats his round belly, Time to find Jory and my drat brother.

Pushing his thoughts outwards his brother, Hey you mutton-chopped, rock chewer, Where in the hells did you get to?

LordDice
2017-10-07, 10:14 AM
Sliding up from the stone next to his brother "I merely had to finish up some business with a man I'd given my word to...such things cannot be forgotten."

"But that's taken care of entirely...hopefully"

LordDice
2017-10-12, 04:45 PM
"So what is next, have you spoken to Jory yet ? "

Barthac
2017-10-13, 07:27 AM
Not yet. Let's go pay him a visit and see if'n he knows where that Malthos is lurking.

Mr. X
2017-10-13, 12:49 PM
Returning to the the collapsed passage where you first found Jory, you find him much as you left him... Encased in a standing stone sarcophagus, with naught but his face showing to speak.

The smell here has subsided a bit as collage workers have, at some point, cleaned away the putrid blood.

Still, it looks as though the edges of his face have been rubbed raw, where he likely attempted to worm his way out of his prison, with little success.

He calls out as you approach,

"Oy! I was hoppin' you lot might come back! Ye ain't got a scrap o' meat or some such on ye, would ye?"

Now that you look at him, you see that he's gotten thin... His cheeks sunken an hollow, like a man starving.

He moistens his lips, with a nearly feral and ravenous look in his eyes.
"Bein' stuck fer so long gives a man a right big appetite."

LordDice
2017-10-26, 04:16 PM
"Hmm, I wonder. Not quite dead....not quite alive eh."

Tossing Jory a ration out of his sack as his near coffin slides around a bit to only hold him fast from the waist down "Try that out, we might just have to fix whatever Malthos did to reanimate you...I don't want to have to worry about you looking at people like they are pork chops after all"

Thinking to himself for a minute he comments under his breath a bit "Probably easiest to just finish killing you then raise you properly...hmm"

Mr. X
2017-10-26, 11:08 PM
Jory snatches the ration, and scarfs it down hungrily.

"Pork an' long pig taste a lot alike at the end o' tha day, if'n ye cook 'em right..."

He shrugs, swallowing a chunk of the dried meat.

"Raw too, really, when ye get down to it. Though the toughness varies a lot dependin' on how they lived."

He finishes scarfing down the ration, and looks visibly better.

"So, what can I do ye fine gentlemen for?"