PDA

View Full Version : Price of a housecat

RCgothic
2012-10-19, 06:44 AM
So we all know what lethal creatures housecats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cat.htm) can be!

How much would you charge a PC for one in gp?

Cranthis
2012-10-19, 06:45 AM
Well that depends on whether its war trained or not. Oh god. Im going to go use my knew characters wealth by level to have a war trained housecat!

Spiryt
2012-10-19, 06:47 AM
Some places to sleep and one commoner every few weeks to eat, and it's going to be fine, I guess.

RCgothic
2012-10-19, 06:56 AM
Some places to sleep and one commoner every few weeks to eat, and it's going to be fine, I guess.

:smallbiggrin:

Well that depends on whether its war trained or not. Oh god. Im going to go use my knew characters wealth by level to have a war trained housecat!

I had a similar idea, but to be honest a 2hp creature isn't going to survive any fight and my character wouldn't be so cruel to subject it to that. But they can track and hunt and be companionable, so I was curious to see how much they would cost.

The original idea was a magebred border collie sheepdog, but that needs about 11 tricks to pull off and even magebred only gets 8.

GoatBoy
2012-10-19, 07:13 AM
Well a chicken is 2cp, and the next cheapest listed animal, a donkey or mule, is 8gp, so odds are it's something between there.

docnessuno
2012-10-19, 08:41 AM
It really depends on the setting and culture, the price can vary to from free to a couple GPs.

In a rural society, unless the cats are actually used as food, their value is inexistant. Dropping some leftovers near your doorstep almost guarantees some cats will show up, and after a few days they will consider that therritory their 'home'

In an urban society, cats are even less valuable, unless they are regarded as company animals. In that case the price is only dependant on how 'exclusive' that kind of animal is and on how 'fashionable' is to own one. Price could vary from a few silvers to a handful of gold coins.

RCgothic
2012-10-19, 08:51 AM
It's not easy to judge based on CR either - A donkey is CR 1/6th for 8gp. A dog is CR1/3 for 25gp, and a riding dog is CR1 for 150gp.

Hmmmm. :smallfrown:

Beginning to sound like a 'talk to the DM' requirement rather than an objective worth.

GoatBoy
2012-10-19, 09:03 AM
Also, even with level 1 wealth, anything under 10gp is probably trivial. Unless your intent is to buy housecats in massive quantities, in which case I have some serious questions about your character concept.

bravebonebook
2012-10-19, 09:03 AM
Sneak over to the closest Egyptian temple to Bast and slip one into your Heward's Haversack when the priests aren't looking! :smallbiggrin:

QuidEst
2012-10-19, 09:08 AM
Pathfinder lists regular cats as 2cp, with prized breeds going for 6gp. Prices tend to carry between the two pretty well, so if you want numbers, there you go.

Crustypeanut
2012-10-19, 09:11 AM
According to Pathfinder Adventurer's Armory they cost 3 cp. So you can use that as a reference, if needed.

RCgothic
2012-10-19, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys! :smallbiggrin:

@Goatboy: Don't worry, she won't be a crazy cat lady! :smallredface:

Cruiser1
2012-10-19, 09:30 AM
It really depends on the setting and culture, the price can vary to from free to a couple GPs. In an urban society, cats are even less valuable, unless they are regarded as company animals.
Actually, in some settings cats are extremely valuable, because they keep rodents away. They can be worth thousands of gold to the upper class or in royal settings. The classic English folk tale Richard Whittington and His Cat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%69ck_Whittington_and_His_Cat) is how a single cat gets sold to the King of Barbary for a great fortune, because his palace was overrun with mice. (Of course, once people realize cats are that valuable there, the price should drop rapidly as the market gets flooded by every merchant who has a access to a ship that even remotely seaworthy.) :smallwink:

RCgothic
2012-10-19, 09:34 AM
How Much Do Cats Actually Kill (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill)

Is a link to The Oatmeal appropriate here?

willpell
2012-10-19, 10:20 AM
I would be very much in favor of a comprehensive "prices of companion animals" guide. Would give summoner clerics and wizards a little competition in the "bring your own army" department if you knew how much of your WBL you'd need to burn in order to have a pack of attack dogs or something on retainer.

Sneak over to the closest Egyptian temple to Bast and slip one into your Heward's Haversack when the priests aren't looking! :smallbiggrin:

REEEEAAAAOWWWFFFFT! scratch, claw, hiss, bite, yowl After five minutes of struggling you finally manage to get it into the extradimensional space and close the aperture off, only to turn around and hear a large woman with a Hello Bastie hat saying, "Sir, the high priestess would like to have a word with you, and that word is 'weretiger'...."

bravebonebook
2012-10-19, 11:30 AM
REEEEAAAAOWWWFFFFT! scratch, claw, hiss, bite, yowl After five minutes of struggling you finally manage to get it into the extradimensional space and close the aperture off, only to turn around and hear a large woman with a Hello Bastie hat saying, "Sir, the high priestess would like to have a word with you, and that word is 'weretiger'...."[/QUOTE]

You, friend, are responsible for Coke all over my computer screen!! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: