PDA

View Full Version : Favored Souls with Domains

Ranting Fool
2012-10-19, 09:31 AM
Note: This is for NPC's rather then PC's

Was thinking about Clerics and honestly I dislike NPC Clerics having access to every single spell I personally would rather have them have spells relating to their God/Belief.

So would a Favored Souls power be very changed by allowing them to have Domains?

Thoughts?:smallbiggrin:

Pilo
2012-10-19, 09:47 AM
NPC should be Adept., they should not have PC's classes.

Anyway, no, it will not change a lot of things.
If twhat you want is a spontaneous divine caster, you can try the Mystic class (Dragonlance Setting, spontaneous caster with a domain, cast on wisdom), or the Shugenja who also is a spontaneous caster but is closer to the cleric than the favored soul.

willpell
2012-10-19, 10:16 AM
Anyway, no, it will not change a lot of things.
If what you want is a spontaneous divine caster, you can try the Mystic class (Dragonlance Setting, spontaneous caster with a domain, cast on wisdom), or the Shugenja who also is a spontaneous caster but is closer to the cleric than the favored soul.

Mystic does get a domain and is pretty close to what the OP is asking for; I don't know much about Shugenja, but it's at least somewhat nailed to the oriental flavor, and I believe it has its own spell list instead of just using the cleric list, making it inconvenient. However, since Mystic and Favored Soul are both stuck on Sorcerer progression, I seriously doubt that a gestalt of both classes would be as good as a cleric, let alone better (granted, the cleric is tier 1, so we really don't want anything better...the "tier 0" slot is probably best reserved for a generously-houseruled Spell-To-Power Erudite and nothing else).

NPC should be Adept., they should not have PC's classes.

Could not possibly disagree harder. While the Adept class is barely usable since it has a unique two-parts-cleric, one-part-wizard spell list, NPC classes are intentionally designed to suck, and so the NPCs you make with them also suck. Why would you want to fill your campaign with bad NPCs, when you could have awesome ones? The PCs are still inherently special because someone is playing them; they are the Order of the Stick, but there's no reason to say Hinjo and O-Chul and Thanh all have to be be Warriors with Adept levels because Paladin, or even Fighter/Cleric, is a super-awesome-special status that only the PCs qualify for.

eggs
2012-10-19, 11:12 AM
Sounds like the Spontaneous Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm), which has better abilities and progression than the FS, but is still a pretty reasonable set-up.

Depending on how it's handled, when recognizing the Substitute Domain spell, adding domains can either give a great deal of strategic versatility (if switching domains switches a full line of spells known, like the Spontaneous Cleric) or character-building depth (if switching domains allows access to a new set of spells available to permanently learn, like the Favored Soul already works with Domain-granting PrCs).

willpell
2012-10-19, 01:40 PM
like the Favored Soul already works with Domain-granting PrCs

spockbrow Hm? Please explain. Where does it say you can do any of this? (I'm not doubting you or anything, I'm just saying it's news to me and I'd like to hear more.)

dextercorvia
2012-10-19, 01:58 PM
spockbrow Hm? Please explain. Where does it say you can do any of this? (I'm not doubting you or anything, I'm just saying it's news to me and I'd like to hear more.)

Complete Divine, page 20.

eggs
2012-10-19, 03:37 PM
spockbrow Hm? Please explain. Where does it say you can do any of this?
The introduction to Complete Divine's PrC section gives the rules for various classes that have gained additional domains. For Favored Souls and Sorcerers, the rules essentially add the domain spells to the class list, but not the character's spell list. This means the Favored Soul does not automatically know all the spells, but it can choose to learn them each level.

There is nothing to indicate that a character who knows a spell outside its class spell list isn't able to cast that spell, and there are indications that such a character can - such as the Sandshaper and Fiend-blooded prestige classes, whose defining abilities are rooted in that quirk.

For Favored Souls with the Substitute Domain spell known, this is interesting, because it allows Favored Souls to change the pool of spells they can learn at each new level - maybe a FS of Cyndor could pick up Time domain before level 6 to learn Haste, then trade it for the Travel domain before level 8 to learn Fly and Dimension Door.

It's pretty clear that this wasn't an intended result of Substitute Domain spell, so it might face the some houserules from skittish groups, but it's a trick that makes the Favored Soul a bit more interesting and unique.