PDA

View Full Version : why no love for soldier of light?

Venger
2012-10-19, 05:10 PM
this class from deities and demigods is pretty good. easy to qualify for, unique caster progression, energon sidekick, and fast healing 2. why don't you see it more often?

Flickerdart
2012-10-19, 05:24 PM
D&DG is 3.0 content, and there's few reasons to use SoL over a brief Paladin or Prestige Paladin dip. In edge cases (such as a Fighter 4/Crusader 1/SoL2 Divine Crusader entry) it's useful, but very rarely.

eggs
2012-10-19, 05:28 PM
It doesn't seem to come up too rarely (though admittedly just for the first 2 levels' condensed Paladin 4).

Speaking just for my own paladin-type builds, I often consider it for a dip and turn it down, because levels 6-20 tend to have harsher competition for their class choices than levels 1-5.

Snowbluff
2012-10-19, 05:29 PM
I like it. Full BaB and Turning makes it a good dip for Divine feat users.

tyckspoon
2012-10-19, 06:23 PM
It's from Deities and Demigods, which is a relatively obscure source (for player-centric material), from the 3.0 era, and requires worshiping one of Deity & Demigod's "Here's what a new god/religion might look like" gods that doesn't necessarily mesh into a campaign world well. None of that's insurmountable- you can change it to require worshiping Pelor or Local Sun/Light God or whatever- but it does mean it's not on the top of people's minds. It also has an annoying alignment requirement. (Also it has an error on the save chart for its 10th level and no errata that I can find correcting it, so your Fort save goes down and your Ref/Will saves go way up.)

The main problem is it's just not that good. It's basically a Prestige paladin. So the times when you want to use it are.. A: you want to be a Paladin, but B: for some reason you can't actually use Paladin. That's a pretty niche case, especially considering the variety of other Paladin-like options you could go for.