PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass Monk

Cranthis
2012-10-19, 05:34 PM
A Player in my group is a Thrikeen Monk, 2 levels of Thrikeen level adjustment or whatever, and 3 levels of monk. I'm trying to think of a good multiclass/prestige class path for him to take. Thoughts?

Snowbluff
2012-10-19, 05:36 PM
Sorcerer! Enlightened Fist! Soul Eater!

EDIT: Wait, your Cha is crap. Cleric/Sacred Fist

Answerer
2012-10-19, 05:47 PM
Monastic Training (Ardent), Tashalatora, Practiced Manifester (Ardent), and then just go Ardent. Allow him to swap his Monk Bonus Feats for Monastic Training and Tashalatora if he'd like. I'd seriously suggest ditching the third level of Monk, too.

He'll get full Unarmed Strike, Flurry of Blows, AC Bonus, and Fast Movement progression from his Ardent levels. Practiced Manifester means that his Ardent Manifester Level is about where it should be (or exactly where it should be if he ditches Monk 3), and the way Ardents choose Powers Known mean that he'll be able to take level-appropriate powers. And Thri-kreen are naturally Psionic, so it will work well for him.

docnessuno
2012-10-19, 05:47 PM
Since it's a psionic race i'd strongly suggest to get into War Mind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm), using tashalatora to make his war mind level stacking with monk for most monk sruff (including flurry progression, something very few PRCs advance).

Edit:
Considering he has 2 LA, 2 monk levels and 2 RHD, i think War Mind is a much better option then psywar:

War mind: +10 BAB d10 HDs, 5th level powers, 70PPs, +4 str/con 3/day, DR/- and the amazing sweeping strike over 10 levels, 4 levels free to play with
Psywar: +10 BAB d8 HDs, 5th level powers, 59s PP 6 bonus feats over 14 levels.
Even if the 4 addidional levels were fighter ones (and we all know how awful they are), the War mind would end up with 4 more BAB, more PPs, more HPs and some very nice class features in excange of 3 feats and some known powers. Well worth imho.

Gavinfoxx
2012-10-19, 05:50 PM
Which version of Thrikreen is he using?

docnessuno
2012-10-19, 05:54 PM
Which version of Thrikreen is he using?

LA +2 point to the psionic version

Answerer
2012-10-19, 06:17 PM
Since it's a psionic race i'd strongly suggest to get into War Mind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm), using tashalatora to make his war mind level stacking with monk for most monk sruff (including flurry progression, something very few PRCs advance).

Edit:
Considering he has 2 LA, 2 monk levels and 2 RHD, i think War Mind is a much better option then psywar:

War mind: +10 BAB d10 HDs, 5th level powers, 70PPs, +4 str/con 3/day, DR/- and the amazing sweeping strike over 10 levels, 4 levels free to play with
Psywar: +10 BAB d8 HDs, 5th level powers, 59s PP 6 bonus feats over 14 levels.
Even if the 4 addidional levels were fighter ones (and we all know how awful they are), the War mind would end up with 4 more BAB, more PPs, more HPs and some very nice class features in excange of 3 feats and some known powers. Well worth imho.
War Mind is another good option, yes. I think since he can go LA +2/Monk 2/Ardent 16 and end up with Manifester Level 20 from just Practiced Manifester, Ardent seems better.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-19, 06:45 PM
War Mind is another good option, yes. I think since he can go LA +2/Monk 2/Ardent 16 and end up with Manifester Level 20 from just Practiced Manifester, Ardent seems better.

You're forgetting the 2 RHD. If he can buy off the LA that'll work. Even if he can't, it'll still be pretty strong at ML18 on ECL 20

kitcik
2012-10-22, 04:19 PM
I am playing a non-psionic (purely martial) thri-kreen monk right now.

I found that a few (well timed) levels in warblade were awesome. The Tiger Claw maneuvers synergize well with the racial Jump bonus and Iron Heart Surge (and D12 HD) grants that extra defense you need. You also get full BAB.

Just ignore the warblade's Int-based class features, they are not that good and you are MAD enough already.

On a side note, look at the Pressure Point Attack feat from Dr 336 for added versatility. You get Dispel Magic as a monk!

Also, use that Jump modifier for Battle Jump.

I am currently level 14 (1 monstrous HD*, 4 warblade levels and 9 monk levels) and, without any magical bonuses, have a Jump modifier of +79 (keep in mind it is pumped by the monk's speed increases).

* I (homebrew) exchanged some racial advantages for taking one less racial HD and bought off the 1 LA for non-psionic thrikreen.

Keld Denar
2012-10-22, 05:31 PM
Ardent gets too few of the really good PsyWar powers needed for Tash to be good. Inertial Armor doesn't appear on any mantle, and neither does Expansion. Sure, there is the Mind's Eye article that talks about power swapping, but you can only stretch that so far before you are really a pain in the butt for the DM as you need to basically rewrite a mantle or two. Sure, having more PP it's nice, and sure, higher level powers are cool, although most of the best Tash powers are 1st through 3rd, but that's stretching things.

Answerer
2012-10-22, 06:41 PM
Ardent gets too few of the really good PsyWar powers needed for Tash to be good. Inertial Armor doesn't appear on any mantle, and neither does Expansion. Sure, there is the Mind's Eye article that talks about power swapping, but you can only stretch that so far before you are really a pain in the butt for the DM as you need to basically rewrite a mantle or two. Sure, having more PP it's nice, and sure, higher level powers are cool, although most of the best Tash powers are 1st through 3rd, but that's stretching things.
Well, getting expansion from Physical Power just makes sense. I don't see that it has be so annoying, more like "Hey, do you buy that X Mantle could have y?"