PDA

View Full Version : Good Abjuration Spells?

silverwolfer
2012-10-19, 06:08 PM
so am curious on good Abjuration spells besides shield+resistance spells. Thinking on the Swift Abjuration from the Abjuration Champion .

Took a look at spell compendium, and it all seems rather defensive versus well, start of battle benefit.

gorfnab
2012-10-19, 06:35 PM
Luminous Armor/ Greater - Book of Exalted Deeds

The Random NPC
2012-10-19, 08:28 PM
Took a look at spell compendium, and it all seems rather defensive versus well, start of battle benefit.

Abjuration is the defensive school...

silverwolfer
2012-10-19, 08:48 PM
Well that is what I mean , the few spells that can be used, are more of a start of battle, the swift action spell casting, seems a missed feature.

Jack_Simth
2012-10-19, 09:04 PM
so am curious on good Abjuration spells besides shield+resistance spells. Thinking on the Swift Abjuration from the Abjuration Champion .

Took a look at spell compendium, and it all seems rather defensive versus well, start of battle benefit.Right. That's pretty much the purpose of the school, although it's also antimagic. A full five levels of Abjurant Champion nets you swift 3rd level abjurations - which includes Dispel Magic - not all that grand at the level you get it, but surprisingly useful for taking down people's magic items. Likewise, Resist Energy and Protection from Energy, while normally something you'd want cast prior to battle, and much more palatable when they're swift actions. Someone seems to like Fireball? Swift Protection from Energy while you're doing other things.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-19, 09:13 PM
Well that is what I mean , the few spells that can be used, are more of a start of battle, the swift action spell casting, seems a missed feature.

Who wants to spend the first few rounds of battle casting defensive buffs when you can do it in half the time?

eggs
2012-10-19, 09:21 PM
Antimagic debuffs and dimension anchors are a very applicable, very reliable debuff at high levels (they hurt almost anything you target with them, immunities are rare and the spells almost always turn something off that the targets want). Plus there are occasional control spells like Refusal and various forms of Dispelling Walls, the occasional blast like Maw of Chaos and the occasional save-or-lose like Banishment.

Because there's a chance it's been missed, here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870634/Treantmonks_guide_to_Abjuration:_Gods_Tools)'s a link to a partial breakdown of Abjuration for wizards (it's the older version of the discussion, but I don't know that anything changed between it and the BG repost, and it has an attached thread specifically discussing its contents).

StreamOfTheSky
2012-10-19, 09:28 PM
Aside from the dispels, dim anchor/lock, and energy resistance (which are awesome), you get...

Arcane Turmoil from C.Mage. Basically lvl 2 target-only dispel that also drains a spell slot off the victim.

Effulgent Epurations from SpC. Level 9, protects you from a number of targeted spells equal to your CL, and still allows in spells you want. I think it's pretty uber in a mage duel.

Spell Turning...is just hilarious.

Repulsion keeps the melee's at bay. Can also make problems for your allies when it comes to tactical movement, though.

Prismatic Wall is a very strong battlefield control effect. The Sphere...I don't like it as much, but I'm sure it has uses.

Duelward in SpC is kind of expensive for a one-shot immediate action counterspell, but at higher levels is probably worth the slot.

Scintillating Scales from SpC, lvl 2, is probably not terribly useful to a PC (though you can pull off some stupidly high nat armor w/ polymorphing), but is invaluable to a dragon to massively buff touch AC.

The Anticipate Teleport spells from SpC are extremely useful to turn enemies' scry-buff-teleport into scry-buff-suicide.

Ray Deflection, SpC lvl 4, will make any warlock or ray caster cry. Hurray for blanket immunities... :smalleek:

Reciprocal Gyre, SpC lvl 5, is NASTY to a heavily buffed (or debuffed!) foe. Does 1d12 per spell level affecting the target AND if they fail the save for half, they have to save vs. dazed, too!

Refusal, SpC lvl 5, can be used to keep a caster out of an area, and thus strategically funnel them into another area. And it affects those w/ SLAs, too, so also great to keep melee-happy outsiders than can teleport away.

Planar Bubble, SpC lvl 7, when combined with collar of umbral metamorphosis, is actually one of the "dirty tricks" of a shadowcraft mage. Turn the area around him into the plane of shadow to freely boost his shadow spells.

Maw of Chaos, SpC lvl 9, is a very good "blasting" spell. Odd addition to the school, but welcome.