PDA

View Full Version : help with mage slayer.

morkendi
2012-10-20, 09:19 AM
Getting ready to go play. Another player trying to gm. He a little new to gm, but played a while. Getting ideas together, and i want something different. He is not doing psionics, wich I would use psy war to do this normally. Got 5 lvls to do, and this is what i am thinking.

1. War.
Feats. EWP spike chain, combat reflex, combat expertise, pursue. Need to pick to flaws unless I do human. In which case I choose one.

2. War.
Feat improved trip.

3. War.
Feat mage slayer.

Now i have to think where to go. I need will saves. Any suggestions ? Maybe 2lvl dip rogue for evasion?

docnessuno
2012-10-20, 10:18 AM
You might want to consider the occult slayer PRC in CW for your future progression, spell reflection and mind blank are quite good perks.
Also pursue is not that good, requiring you to waste a precious action point to use it (and to actually use the AP rules to benefit from it).
Good alternatives are the Bulwark od Defense ability (Knight 3) and/or the thicket of blades stance (3rd level Divine spirit).
The Stand Still feat (XPH) is usually a staple in those kind of builds.
Finally War 3 is possibly the worst level in the game. Either you endure till War 4 or you drop at War 2.

morkendi
2012-10-20, 11:24 AM
Maybe war 2, rogue 2, swashbuckler dip, occult slayer, finish up daring outlaw?

docnessuno
2012-10-20, 11:37 AM
Personally i'd go:
Knight 3 / Fighter 2 / Occult slayer 3 / Crusader 1 / Occult slayer +2

Feats:
Flaw: EWP (Spiked chain)
Flaw: Blind fight
Human: Improved initiative
Fighter 1: Weapon focus (Spiked chain)
Fighter 2: Combat reflexes
1: Stand still
3: Mage slayer
6: Pierce magical proteection
9: Pierce magical concealment

Mishkov
2012-10-20, 08:25 PM
You can do obnoxious stuff like pally 3/hex 2/witch hunter 5/occult slayer 5. CHA to saves x 2, mettle, mind blank, slippery mind, reflect spells, extra saves to spells, disease immunity.

You can cut pally down to 2 if you don't care about diseases and take an extra hexblade level to get mettle instead of going full 5 in witch hunter but momentary disjunction is pretty fun, and slippery mind can be nice.

Maybe after that pick up survivor or blackguard or rogue for evasion or more saves. I like going fortune's friend and picking up luck feats. Just kinda reroll whatever you don't save against.

Good Karma is a fun luck feat if you go that route too. Move the spell to you and then reflect it.

Azoth
2012-10-21, 01:57 AM
Have you considered a spellthief? Sneak up on a caster and TWF sneak attack his spells for the day away. Nothing funnier that getting up on him and taking away his dimension hop, dimension slide, teleport, and fly.

The look on a DM's face is priceless when you take away all of his caster's escape spells. Especially, when you decide to keep the one that will let you get out of his BFC that is about to be dropped. Or take his fireball and see how the wizard likes dodging explosions for a change.