PDA

View Full Version : Scoutbuckler help.

Redjar
2012-10-20, 11:46 AM
This is my first 3.5 game. I'm a level 7 Swashbuckler but am being allowed to "retrain" in a sense as I was thrust into the game quickly and without much 3.5 knowledge.

I just wanted a leeeetle bit of help trying to optimize this build. If there's a forum or something dedicated to character building I'll gladly go there if asked.

So. Since it's just a retweak I'm keeping my Stats (I will have to alter my HP and Skillpt amounts b/c of multiclassing but I can do that). The DM doesn't really adhere to specific XP rules, we just level up when he thinks we've done enough. Usually once a session though we do go up 2 one night and no levels on a few as well.

My new build is as follows
Human - Swash3/Scout4
Str 14
Dex 19 (includes lvl 4 skill point)
Con 12
Int 16
Wis 9
Cha 13

My two level 1 feats are Dodge and Mobility
My Scout bonus feat is spring attack
My level 6 feat is "Daring Runner" a homebrew of Daring Outlaw but replace Rogue with Scout and Sneak Attack with Skirmish.

So I need advice on if these feats are ok and what should my 3rd level feat be? It can't be spring attack or Daring Runner (that needs Lvl 3 Swash and Lvl 3 Scout)

I'm considering Knowledge Devotion. Scout already has class skills for knowledge geography and local (for humans and animals, stuff we will hopefully/ have mainly been fighting), and dungeoneering for oozes and stuff crits/skirmish doesn't affect. Also just putting one rank in any of the other knowledges gives me a guaranteed +1/+1. Also, I heard the skill ability Collector of Stories +5 on any knowledge check would work with this, even if it is only once a minute. Scouts have good skillpoints. 8+Int to go along with this.

Another option is Devoted Traveler for lvl 3 and then maybe Goad at lvl 9. I liked goad as with my high AC and mobility I can stall out an enemy and make him easily flanked. I just hated losing the move action (especially with skirmish). Devoted Traveler gives me the chance to move and use Goad though.

I'm pretty much done with Scout now that I've had Daring Runner, may take another level for Evasion and SkillPts though. I need some swash and then may prestige into Duelist to get my Int mod added to AC. Any ideas for feats or prestiges?

Also, I'm not going to dip into rogue. We have one and it isn't flavorful to my character in my opinion.
I was thinking about a 1 lvl Factotum dip to make all knowledges class skills (it would have to be at level 8). It's flavorful as I'm traveling with a Factotum so he can teach me at least 1st lvl and inspiration points, while I only have two, isn't a bad thing.

SowZ
2012-10-20, 11:57 AM
If you really like the knowledge deal, there are plenty of classes that give bardic knowledge or an equivalent of it.

eggs
2012-10-20, 02:51 PM
The numbers don't look good.

Comparing the build's attack and damage to level-appropriate monster values (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869122/Optimization_By_The_Numbers), it will take about 7 rounds to take down a level-appropriate precision-vulnerable monster, or 5 rounds to take down half of a level-appropriate 2-monster encounter; D&D fights are typically over after 3-4. And precision-immune targets like undead, plants and constructs can basically ignore its contributions.

Goad isn't a very good control feat. Most of the monsters that need distracting are going to have attacks that ignore it, the DC isn't particularly high unless you're cranking charisma, it cuts a big chunk out of a character's damage output and opponents with immunities to mind effects/Int<3 aren't rare at all. But what might be interesting in a low-op environment is mixing it with the Riposte Scout ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a\).

But without I'd strongly consider dropping the Spring Attack feat line (it might be a neat trick, but this build's numbers need to go up before it can indulge in neat tricks), grabbing some extra attacks (probably just TWF+Gloves of the Balanced Hand), then picking some form of free movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) and running with it - probably Warblade (for Sudden Leap, a +damage stance and defensive counters), Cleric/other turning dip (to fuel Travel Devotion) or Barbarian (for pounce and whirling frenzy or maybe ferocity).

Once the build has a chance of standing up to level-appropriate encounters or reliably soloing CR=[ECL-2] enemies, the fun tricks like Spring Attack that don't affect a build's power might be less problematic investments.

Redjar
2012-10-20, 03:04 PM
Thanks eggs, those sound promising and I'll look them up after work.

To simplify my request.
I basically want a good character with a Swashbuckler base and not multilcassing into rogue or warblade (we have one of each).