PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Undead-slaying Wizard

doc*sk
2012-10-20, 01:37 PM
Hey everyone,

I need some ideas on a way to make an undead-killing wizard. One of the other party members is a cleric already, so I do not want to cramp his style and play another cleric. So, any thoughts?

I have been playing a gnome illusionist and, while fun, I am not clever enough to make him effective enough against the undead in our Halloween-time adventure. I think I need something a little more straightforward. We are currently 7th level.

What spells or specializations would you suggest? Good feats and traits?

Thanks in advance.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-20, 01:39 PM
BFC control arguably works better against mindless undead; but if you aren't using it, some sort of blasting spells should help you. Also if you are Exalted I think there is a metamagic feat which would give your damaging spells more omp against Undead and Evil oustisers.

Blyte
2012-10-20, 01:48 PM
firewall is always a good option.

buff communal resist energy fire, giving everyone 20 FR, then fight in and around the firewall (which deals double damage to undead)

ericgrau
2012-10-20, 01:58 PM
1: detect undead, magic missile (incorporeal), chill touch (weak but better than a crossbow at level 3-4)
2: command undead (bad in fights, but good for keeping the undead to use later)
3: halt undead
4: wall of fire (double damage), resilient sphere (a lot of undead are slow)
5: magic jar (intelligent undead are easy to distinguish from allies, overcoming otherwise powerful spell's greatest weakness)
6: undeath to death, disintegrate (undead have horrible fort and are immune to most other fort spells),
7: control undead
8: sunburst (enormous area, more damage to undead)
9: -

Necromancy and evocation are essential so watch what you ban. Enchantment OTOH is pretty worthless. Ban it into next sunday. Most of the spells you'd prepare on any caster are useful too, except that undead are immune to some conjurations and transmutations. But those schools are still great. I'd say it's a tough choice between abjuration and illusion for the 2nd school, or be a generalist. Or if you can work around haste and slow and don't use polymorph you might ban transmutation. But haste is a lot to lose unless the party has another way to get it. And you lose disintegrate at spell level 6.