PDA

View Full Version : Slang. I want it.

Riverdance
2012-10-20, 06:08 PM
I'm compiling a small dictionary of common youth slang terms for a project. What slang do you like to use, and what do you mean when you use it? I'm particularly looking for the kind of slang you would hear used by "bros," but don't let that limit you.

So far I have things like "bro," "dope" (as in "cool"), "swag" and things like that. What else can you think of?

PS- I'm American but I'd love to hear slang terms used in Britain, Canada, and elsewhere. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, and please keep it clean guys. The list I'm making has to be fairly clean anyway, and I'm not looking for slurs.

Flickerdart
2012-10-20, 06:42 PM
You'll probably find UrbanDictionary.com useful, if you can sift through all the profanity.

LaZodiac
2012-10-20, 07:33 PM
Boss/Bauss, meaning awesome.

I...can't really think of any other, right now. Sorry.

Haruki-kun
2012-10-20, 07:54 PM
You'll probably find UrbanDictionary.com useful, if you can sift through all the profanity.

Eh... I find Urban Dictionary needs some sort of moderation or quality control. A lot of people use it to try and get slang they made up to catch on.

celtois
2012-10-20, 11:20 PM
Not youth specific slang, but in the prairie provinces of Canada, a Bunnyhug is another word for hoodie

I tend to collect slang. When I'm less tired I'll try and give you a few better terms.

McStabbington
2012-10-21, 12:56 AM
There's a word I learned growing up in the Pacific Northwest to refer to small-scale stealing that I really like: kype or kipe. Either spelling works. It's a regional synonym of nick, pilfer or purloin. Unfortunately, I've learned not to use it outside the Pacific Northwest, because I get dirty looks owing to it being a near-homonym to a highly degrading racial slur for persons of Jewish ancestry. This despite the fact that those two words come from a totally seperate etymology.

Despite the similarity, it is a word I would totally take back if I could.

Riverdance
2012-10-21, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys! I can't believe I forgot "boss." :smalltongue:

Kneenibble
2012-10-21, 05:58 PM
Not youth specific slang, but in the prairie provinces of Canada, a Bunnyhug is another word for hoodie

I tend to collect slang. When I'm less tired I'll try and give you a few better terms.

I have heard this said of my people: and yet only ever uttered about us, never by us. Perhaps it is a Saskatchewan thing?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-10-21, 06:51 PM
I dunno Kneen, my friends here from roundabouts you call'em bunnyhugs...

Kallisti
2012-10-21, 07:28 PM
A friend of a friend keeps using the phrase 'YOLO', apparently an acronym of 'You only live once'; I haven't the foggiest as to how it's used.

My whole friend group uses 'ish' as a censored version of a curse word of similar pronunciation, but I don't know if that's widespread or if it just caught on with us.

Snowbluff
2012-10-21, 07:32 PM
A friend of a friend keeps using the phrase 'YOLO', apparently an acronym of 'You only live once'; I haven't the foggiest as to how it's used.

You use it when you are about to do something stupid.

Wyntonian
2012-10-21, 07:45 PM

It's the mating call of the common northwest doucebag.

Also,

"The D" - A penis. As in "If she'd ______, give her the D".

"Stupid" - Can mean "good", usually to a superlative degree. As in, "Their football team is stupid". More common as a secondary adjective, or "Stupid good".

Creed
2012-10-21, 07:46 PM

Yep. That's pretty much YOLO. You shout "YOLO!" when you're about to take a risk on something, or do something you wouldn't normally do, probably with good reason.

Examples:
"Preordered the WiiU. YOLO!"
"20 degrees Fahrenheit? Goin' to the waterpark. YOLO!"

Boci
2012-10-21, 07:47 PM
Za - Pizza
Pigs - Police
What's the craic - How are things
Mate - Friend, however is usually used unnecessarily. For example, a normal person would say "How are you?" and "Listen" rather than "How are you friend" and "Listen Friend"
Dole – Unemployment benefit
Pull – To get with someone. Definition varies. Sometimes merely talking to them counts, but my understands is that you at least have to kiss for it to count

Edit:
What do you consider slang. Does fresher (furst year university student) count?

Malak'ai
2012-10-21, 08:06 PM
Grouse = Awesome (not used much since the 80's).
Sick = Awesome.
Brick = Idiot.
Wood = Sticks in roll-your-own tabbaco.
Green = Money.
Cabbage = Money (not used much since the late 70's/early 80's).
Dog = Annoying person who won't doesn't know when to let something go.
Filth = Police.
PoPo = Police.
Dope = Idiot.

Most likely some double ups here, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-10-21, 08:56 PM
The Dep is the corner store, short for Dépanneur. because Montreal.

Kneenibble
2012-10-21, 09:00 PM
I dunno Kneen, my friends here from roundabouts you call'em bunnyhugs...

Really? I've never actually heard the phrase spoken aloud in my life.

Is there some loop of which I am out? ;_____;

Saposhiente
2012-10-21, 09:08 PM
"Stupid" - Can mean "good", usually to a superlative degree. As in, "Their football team is stupid". More common as a secondary adjective, or "Stupid good".

o.O? What country/part of the country do you live in? Stupid = bad.
Can't really help you too much on listing what you don't have if I don't know what you already have. Don't forget "brony".

Kallisti
2012-10-21, 09:47 PM
o.O? What country/part of the country do you live in? Stupid = bad.

I have heard it used as an intensifier, though--so 'stupid' just means 'stupid' where I'm from, but 'stupid good' would be an equivalent to 'very good'.

Saposhiente
2012-10-21, 10:20 PM
That could also work, though usually we use "stupidly good" for such

Krade
2012-10-21, 10:26 PM
That could also work, though usually we use "stupidly good" for such

I'm not sure exactly when or why, but I've recently started using 'stupid' as a synonym for 'very'. I know I probably picked it up from a friend, but I couldn't tell you which one.

Boci
2012-10-21, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure exactly when or why, but I've recently started using 'stupid' as a synonym for 'very'. I know I probably picked it up from a friend, but I couldn't tell you which one.

Because "crazy" was becoming old?

Cobra_Ikari
2012-10-21, 10:38 PM
I'm compiling a small dictionary of common youth slang terms for a project. What slang do you like to use, and what do you mean when you use it? I'm particularly looking for the kind of slang you would hear used by "bros," but don't let that limit you.

So far I have things like "bro," "dope" (as in "cool"), "swag" and things like that. What else can you think of?

PS- I'm American but I'd love to hear slang terms used in Britain, Canada, and elsewhere. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, and please keep it clean guys. The list I'm making has to be fairly clean anyway, and I'm not looking for slurs.

Used by bros? Have you tried all the various versions of bro? Bro, Broski, Broduski, Broseph, Broseiden, Brochacho...I'm sure there are more. Generally, the more complex the bro, the more...unsavory the person, in my experience. >.>

Anarion
2012-10-21, 10:39 PM
Hmm, I had a lot of friends start using "epic" as a replacement word for awesome. I also use a lot of random slang, like saying someone is a ham when they like being the center of attention, which is the kind of thing that is incomprehensible to people that don't speak English natively.

There are also about a million alternative words for cool these days, all of which are at various levels of lameness:
Sweet
Nice
Sick
Nasty
Wicked
Stupid
Crazy
Sexy
Hot

etc.

Za - Pizza

You're good at Scrabble, aren't you?

Inglenook
2012-10-21, 11:06 PM
"Wicked", used as an intensifier. e.g. He's wicked smaht. It's wicked cold in heeyah.

Seems limited to the Northeast, to my knowledge. And it's an entirely different monster than using it as a plain-old adjective to mean "cool". e.g. That's wicked!

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2012-10-22, 12:50 AM
I have heard this said of my people: and yet only ever uttered about us, never by us. Perhaps it is a Saskatchewan thing?

I have known them as bunnyhugs all my life. I must have been a teenager before I found out other places called 'em "hoodies."

So yeah, probably a Saskatchewan thing. I've heard that pronouncement before.

I mean seriously, hoodies. Terrible name.

Tebryn
2012-10-22, 01:16 AM
I have known them as bunnyhugs all my life. I must have been a teenager before I found out other places called 'em "hoodies."

How is bunnyhug better? It doesn't have anything to do with rabbits. At least hoodie sticks with something to do with the object. It's got a hood!

Inglenook
2012-10-22, 01:51 AM
"Bunnyhug" is sort of charming in an insane, nonsensical way. :smallbiggrin:

Tebryn
2012-10-22, 02:12 AM
"Bunnyhug" is sort of charming in an insane, nonsensical way. :smallbiggrin:

Certainly, but what's Bunny-Hugish about a hoody? I mean, Hood-y like Kitt-y, pupp-y. It's the diminutive form of Hood.

Kneenibble
2012-10-22, 09:58 AM

And I, in turn, have only ever called them hoodies. I agree that bunnyhug is the superior term and shall adopt your exotic Saskatchewan ways in this regard henceforth.

I am trying to muster up some Manitoba slang, but I don't know what the young people say anymore.

Riverdance
2012-10-22, 02:50 PM
Used by bros? Have you tried all the various versions of bro? Bro, Broski, Broduski, Broseph, Broseiden, Brochacho...I'm sure there are more. Generally, the more complex the bro, the more...unsavory the person, in my experience. >.>

I classed all those word under "broism" "a word, the meaning of which has been altered by the substitution of 'bro' for one or more of its syllables"

Zherog
2012-10-22, 03:47 PM
Hmm, I had a lot of friends start using "epic" as a replacement word for awesome.

Based on listening to my 11 year old daughter and her friends, I'll confirm this one.

Another they use is "fail" as a noun. "That was such a fail," for example, is something that they might say when they do something really bad in a video game.

And, of course, you can combine the two - epic fails, apparently, happen all the time. At least, judging by how often they say it...

Malak'ai
2012-10-22, 05:18 PM
Another couple.

Mint = Awesome.
Hundy = Awesome.

Wow... I didn't realize how many slang ways of saying awesome there are... Seems a bit redundant to me :smallconfused:.

Dimonite
2012-10-22, 05:24 PM
How have we gotten this far without mentioning "pwn" (that "w" makes a long "o" sound, for those who don't know) and it's various spin-offs -pwnage, pwnihilation, etc.? Most of the other slang I've learned is... forum-inappropriate, but that's the most common one I can think of.

The_Admiral
2012-10-22, 05:27 PM
Malaysian slang INCOMING!

Lah
Use: I don't know lah, What your problem lah?

gostan
Meaning: REVERSE!

kacang putih
Meaning: Very easy

Macha
Meaning: Bro

Walauweh
Meaning: wow

Raistlin1040
2012-10-22, 05:47 PM
Weird NW portmanteau of hipster and bro speak INCOMING

Deck
Cool. Not casually cool, but something that is really, really cool, in a cutting-edge kind of way.
Have you heard the new Arcade Fire album? It's super deck.

Chill
Also means cool, but in a more laid-back way, like when something unexpected goes in your favor or someone does you a solid and has your back.
Yeah, I was late to class but my professor totally didn't care. So chill.

Pleb/Plebeian
A person who is "mainstream" or not knowledgeable about indie culture. Often used tongue-in-cheek.
Kyle and I were talking about new albums last night and he hadn't even heard the new Mountain Goats stuff. What a pleb, yeah?

HID
A hipster in denial. The standard "hipster who hates other hipsters for being hipsters".
He threatened to punch me after I complimented his hipster scarf for being so deck. Yesterday he was wearing flannel and rocking thick glasses. He's such a HID.

YOLO
Alternate Definition: Used in situations of great caution or care. Used ironically to poke fun at people who use it seriously.
I never drink and drive and I always wear a helmet while riding my bike. YOLO.

Swag
Wealth or status. Often used ironically.
Check these mechanical pencils, dawg. I got swag.

Dope
See: Chill
Man, Fight Club is dope as hell.

Bro (Also Brah, Broseidon, David Browie, and many more)
Can either be a term of affection for a friend who has your back, or sardonically for guys who act stereotypically macho.
Hey bro, what's up?

Ugh, those guys at The Vaccines concert were such bros. I could barely hear the band over them.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2012-10-22, 08:59 PM
Certainly, but what's Bunny-Hugish about a hoody? I mean, Hood-y like Kitt-y, pupp-y. It's the diminutive form of Hood.

How is it a diminutive? It's adding another syllable!

I have almost resisted the urge to add 'bro' to this post, bro.

I'm going to pretend to assume we call them bunnyhugs because if you use the pockets most of them have in the front they make you look a bit like you're hugging someone, and also it covers your ears maybe, I don't know. All I know is its a better name than hoody. In my personal, Saskatchewonian, always-used-bunnyhug opinion.

And also you don't have to figure out if the singular is a "y" or an "ie" because one never uses the word and honestly that's just more trouble than its worth and what do I look like, some guy who's not lazy?

[edit] ALSO.

During my highschool years I often heard the term 'balling" used in the same way as 'cool' or 'awesome.' Thus I can actually contribute to the thread.

Jallorn
2012-10-22, 09:09 PM
How has no one mentioned "Shiny," meaning cool or awesome, I know there's Browncoats on this here site. And before you say it's from a show, I've known people to use it in real life, specially since other shows (mostly Castle) started to reference it. Also Frack and Frick as substitutes for the F word. I can't help but feel that I'm forgetting some other TV show originated slang, but that's all I got right now.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-10-22, 09:10 PM
Smeg! Red Dwarf :D

celtois
2012-10-22, 10:17 PM
To add to the discussion on Bunnyhug, it is primarily a Saskatchewan thing, I do hear it from time to time elsewhere though.

Re-reading the first post I realized most of my favourite slang really doesn't fit. The only really bro-y slang I know has mostly already been mentioned.

Dawg: Synonym for bro
Hipster: it's pretty obscure one you probably wouldn't have heard of it. :smalltongue:
Easy: Slag for someone being, well easy to get in the sack.
Stud: As in a fine male specimen
69: ...

That's all I've got that I can think of that I didn't see mentioned already, based on the category you were looking for.

Cealocanth
2012-10-22, 10:31 PM
Around here, it seems that the new word going around the teenage community is "childish"

meaning, in order of commonality:

stupid
rude
immature
unfair
unpleasant
or as an adjective used to describe someone in authority (ex. You won't let me loiter in the hallways between classes with my twenty other friends? Stop being so childish!)

Other examples include:

Talking in a movie theater? Stop being so childish!

That garbage outside sure smells childish.

First graders have a childish intelligence level.

etc.

Edit: Also, around the gaming community there's "natural", stemming from a "natural twenty" meaning a critical hit.

It's used in the same way "boss" is. Essentially, radical, awesome, unpredictable, victorious, etc.

ex. That backflip you just flawlessly performed was so natural!
A lightning bolt struck right outside my house? How natural was that???

Tebryn
2012-10-23, 12:45 AM
How is it a diminutive? It's adding another syllable!

Don't blame me. Blame the language we speak.

Fortuna
2012-10-23, 03:57 AM
Speaking from New Zealand, I hear a number of these around - bro, swag, etc. - but we also have an extremely common one which I haven't seen mentioned yet. The usual slang term here for 'you' is G or gee or however the hell you spell it, pronounced as in the letter. Example uses include "You wanna fight, G?" and "Aw na, G, we're coo'."

Malak'ai
2012-10-23, 04:25 AM
Speaking from New Zealand, I hear a number of these around - bro, swag, etc. - but we also have an extremely common one which I haven't seen mentioned yet. The usual slang term here for 'you' is G or gee or however the hell you spell it, pronounced as in the letter. Example uses include "You wanna fight, G?" and "Aw na, G, we're coo'."

I have noticed, being from New Zealand myself, that this generally more associated with following of musical tastes.
"G" is a shortened form of "Gangsta", and so it is more widely used by the fans of Rap and HipHop than by fans of other musical genres. Though I do admit that others have picked it up.
Scary thing is, I can clearly remember when it first started getting used... Does that mean I'm old? :smalleek:

Cespenar
2012-10-23, 04:37 AM
There's also the -ster suffix.

ForzaFiori
2012-10-23, 06:39 PM
"Wicked", used as an intensifier. e.g. He's wicked smaht. It's wicked cold in heeyah.

Seems limited to the Northeast, to my knowledge. And it's an entirely different monster than using it as a plain-old adjective to mean "cool". e.g. That's wicked!

Wicked is used in the SE as well. I use it all the time.

I also use Epic, Uber, Sick, Tight, Legit, and Clutch, all of which mean pretty much the same thing.

Twel: used in upstate SC as a way to say "bull****" without cussing.

Pigs, Bacon, 5-0, Po-Po: all mean cop

The_Admiral
2012-10-25, 04:54 AM
MORE SLANG!

teok
cut of the "privates"
If he win, I teok.

tembak
Randomly pick answer
If you don't know the answer, just tembak lah.

Kjata
2012-10-25, 07:43 AM
Sort of off topic, but on "yolo..."

I don't get it. You only live once, right? So why be stupid.

Exact conversation I had with a coworker:
Him "I know cocaine is really bad for you, but it sounds awesome, so YOLO."
Me "... I quit doing ecstasy cause YOLO."

I feel so damn old every time I hear it. And I'm only 20. Every stupid thing I did in highschool was done with a "**** it" attitude, but I always had that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that "This is the only life i get, why am I doing this?"

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-10-26, 11:20 AM
Ah, but the argument is...

At the end of your life, you're dead. Any "accomplishments" you have cease to matter. Unless you're one of the few lucky folks who get remembered for centuries, you'll get forgotten before long. Nothing you do will last. Your children will pass. Their children will pass, until eventually your descendants don't even know your name, if your line doesn't die out. Anything you build materially will be destroyed. Your comfortable, cautious life will have amounted to nothing.

What, then, has meaning? What has meaning in your life?

The one thing that will never go away: the fact that AT THAT MOMENT you enjoyed your life to the fullest. Because your MOMENTARY enjoyment will never cease to have been. The passing of time does not erase a past moment. Caution leads to a continuation of moments of mediocrity, that in the end mean nothing. Risk-taking leads to a continuation of moments of AWESOME, that in the end still mean nothing, but you got to be AWESOME.

I lied, that's not THEIR argument. That's MY argument. THEIR argument is, yeah, basically "**** it, it feels good and seems like a good idea in my inebriated state right now"

I like my argument better. "Je ne regrette rien" > YOLO, if only because it's French and thus classier.

SaintRidley
2012-10-26, 09:16 PM
I don't know how current this is in England, since my advisor uses these and he's definitely in his early 60s, but I've noticed two that stand out from his use of them in lecture.

Chappies. Mostly in the context similar to "So after he killed the king, Cyneheard killed all the king's chappies."

Wacko. Intensifier, almost always with a word of bigness. "And you have to wonder why it was that this king, if that's who he was, left this wacko huge load of goodies lying about."

Also, goodies to stand in for treasure, but that's smaller scale use for him than the other two.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-26, 09:57 PM
Ballar: A very hip, cool, and badass person, the word is used 90% of the time in a sarcastic sense. Inanimate noun: Ballard

AtlanteanTroll
2012-10-26, 10:05 PM
Quite sadly "rape" has become slang for overkill.

Boci
2012-10-26, 10:14 PM
Quite sadly "rape" has become slang for overkill.

In all fairness I'm pretty sure using rape as a synonym for destruction does a have a history in literature, so I’m not sure how recent of a thing that it.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-10-26, 10:48 PM
I suppose, but calling the pillaging and the destruction of Nanking "rape" and calling a 10 to 0 win in a football game "rape" are sort of different.

Acanous
2012-10-29, 07:31 PM
Let's see...
I've heard "Shotty" from my sister, which is supposadly the new "Cool", and "Shotty Not" being the "Uncool".

Aside from that, we've got;
Pokey: Employment Insurance ("He's on the Pokey")
Numpty: Someone unqualified, inexperienced, or lacking mental fortitude. Usually reserved for slow-learning new employees. ("Send a numpty to get it, I'm busy")
Fung: F'ing New Guy. Usually these evolve into Numpties before reaching the final stage of Wage Slave.
Gangnam Style: Op Op Op, Oppa Gangnam Style!~

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-10-29, 07:32 PM
Let's see...
I've heard "Shotty" from my sister, which is supposadly the new "Cool", and "Shotty Not" being the "Uncool".

Aside from that, we've got;
Pokey: Employment Insurance ("He's on the Pokey")
Numpty: Someone unqualified, inexperienced, or lacking mental fortitude. Usually reserved for slow-learning new employees. ("Send a numpty to get it, I'm busy")
Fung: F'ing New Guy. Usually these evolve into Numpties before reaching the final stage of Wage Slave.
Gangnam Style: Op Op Op, Oppa Gangnam Style!~

Shotty derived from Shawty, which means "Woman" from Shorty because women are short see. obviously.

ForzaFiori
2012-10-29, 08:32 PM
I like my argument better. "Je ne regrette rien" > YOLO, if only because it's French and thus classier.

Carpe Diem > any other form of YOLO. :smallbiggrin: Latin always wins.

Xondoure
2012-10-31, 12:02 PM
Not sure how appropriate it is, but Save My Dolphin made the rounds in this neck of the woods.

Das Platyvark
2012-10-31, 10:13 PM
I've heard rad used a fair bit, but never without a trace of irony.

Empedocles
2012-11-14, 10:02 PM
"Ratchet" used an an insult. This is a pretty "urban" insult, and wouldn't be used by bro's except jokingly.

"Alright" pronounced "aiiight."

A bro wouldn't really say yolo except as a joke (just like ratchet)

"ball:" can mean either to have sexual intercourse, spend a lot of money...or play basketball. Mostly it's used as a joke, except when referring to basketball. So a baller/ballah would be somebody who does one of those things.

Legit. Bro's wouldn't say "clutch" or "uber." They might say "tight," often in reference to a really good hip hop song.

"Game": Used in a couple different ways. Somebody who "has game" is somebody who is good with the ladies. "Spittin game" is flirting. "The game" refers to the industry of hip-hop.

I'm pretty up to date on all this stuff. PM me if you have any questions.

ForzaFiori
2012-11-14, 10:56 PM
And I lost the game. Thanks Vilpich. That's what I get for looking for new slang.

Empedocles
2012-11-14, 11:00 PM
Based on listening to my 11 year old daughter and her friends, I'll confirm this one.

Another they use is "fail" as a noun. "That was such a fail," for example, is something that they might say when they do something really bad in a video game.

And, of course, you can combine the two - epic fails, apparently, happen all the time. At least, judging by how often they say it...

This gets thrown out by the top sort of social tier around when they turn 12 or 13 in most cases.

And I lost the game. Thanks Vilpich. That's what I get for looking for new slang.

Um...what?

Rising Phoenix
2012-11-15, 12:38 AM
I can provide some birdwatcher slang:

Twitch: travel a considerable distance to see a rare bird (usually a species usualy not found in the country). "I am going to twich the Slender-billed Curlew".

Twitcher: someone who participates in the above activity.

Dip: attempted to to twich a bird but failed. E.g. "I tried to get the Newcastle Yellowlegs but dipped."

Dipper: the person who dipped.

MEGA: A bird so rare in an area that it defies belief.

COSMIC MIND ******: An even rarer bird than a mega.

Purple Patch: An area that has produced a lot of rare birds in a short amount of time.

Dude: a birdwatcher who watches birds for the pleasure of watching birds and generally is a 'bad' to 'worse' bird watcher.

Sharpy, Blackwit, Barwit, Swampy, Red-tail, GST: All abbreviations of bird names: Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Black-tailed Godwit, Bar-tailed Godwit, Swamp Harrier, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, Grey Shrike Thrush.

grom the mighty
2012-11-15, 05:58 AM
You wanted English, so here you are :smalltongue:

Sick = good
Sound = good
Class = good
Quality = good
Tidy = (welsh for good)
Peng = attractive
Dro = VERY attractive
Owned = made to look foolish

Have fun with this disgraceful language :smallamused:

ForzaFiori
2012-11-16, 12:06 AM
Um...what?

http://www.losethegame.com/

Basically, 3 rules.

1) As soon as you've heard of the game and the rules, your always playing, no exceptions.

2) You lose the game if you think about the game.

3) You must announce (usually out loud, though often it will be on FB, a forum, or through text) whenever you lose the game.

Many people also have a houserule that you can only lose once every 2 hours.

And I've lost again, as has everyone reading this post.

Xondoure
2012-11-16, 04:12 AM
http://www.losethegame.com/

Basically, 3 rules.

1) As soon as you've heard of the game and the rules, your always playing, no exceptions.

2) You lose the game if you think about the game.

3) You must announce (usually out loud, though often it will be on FB, a forum, or through text) whenever you lose the game.

Many people also have a houserule that you can only lose once every 2 hours.

And I've lost again, as has everyone reading this post.

Obligatory XKCD reference here. http://xkcd.com/391/

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-11-16, 01:02 PM
I like using

"Right Proper" for "good and fitting the qualities which it should have". "That was a right proper party last night!"

And "Righteous" meaning "awesome". "Yo, that movie was righteous!"

Though right proper I use more often then righteous.

AndToBeLoved
2012-11-16, 07:59 PM
Is this thread making anyone else feel either very, very young or very, very old?

My favorite slang word is jelly (put in place of jealous). My family used to say it all the time when I was little, and now I'm hearing it everywhere. (Not sure where they got it).

Usage:
"Do you like my pants?"
"No."
"Oh. Well, you're just jelly."

The Second
2012-11-16, 08:06 PM
Proper: To have done something well.
Dude, you beat him proper.

Real talk: A moving oratory or to tell the truth.
That porn's not mine, that's real talk.

Five-oh: Police
Dude, run, it's the five-oh.

Smack: Insulting or derogatory language.
Don't talk smack to me, boy.

Tight: Something good.
Dude, that car's tight.

Tap: To engage in sexual relations.
I'd tap that.

Hit: See Tap.

Diddle: See Tap.

Trashed: To be intoxicated.
Dude drank a forty and got trashed.

Forty: Generic term for cheap alcohol, usually sold in forty ounce containers.
Gonna go grab me a forty and get trashed.

Graze: To eat packaged food while inside a store, usually without paying for it.
I saw this girl grazing at the supermarket.

Rage: To react violently.
Dude got called an idiot, now he's raging.

Spank: To defeat on opponent, usually resulting in humiliation.
Dude thought he could take me on the court but I spanked him hard.

Play: To con or mislead.
I went on a blind date, but the woman stole my wallet. I got played.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-11-16, 08:38 PM
Real talk: A moving oratory or to tell the truth.
That porn's not mine, that's real talk.

More often used, in my experience, as a prefix-y type thing. "Yo, real talk? Your jacket is kinda ugly dude..." Often used as a "Ok, gonna be completely truthful with you know, even if you won't like it" kinda thing.

I also like "True say" used as a response to something insightful or just correct, like saying "You know, you are so right, man".

"You realize that you COULD just do this thing and that thing at the same time, right?"
"OOoohhhhh, true say..."

scurv
2012-11-17, 09:38 AM
Red up; To clean the house dutch pa

Missed the road; Slang I have heard older truck drivers use for running off of the road or hitting a curb

Scratched the roof; Rolled the truck

blazed; High on weed

Calamity
2012-11-22, 01:38 AM
I love slang, I'll mention a few that haven't been posted yet (I don't think), this will be of a very British flavour: (I've bolded ones that are mainly youth specific)

Nout/Nowt: Nothing. Sometimes pronounced 'Owt
Reet: Alright (For example "You'll be reet" means "You'll be alright; used in Northern England)
Smashed: Extremely drunk
Hammered: Same as above ^
Bladdered: Again, same as above ^
Kecks: Underpants
Fit: Attractive
Bird: Girl/Woman (pretty sexist, be aware)
Bloke: Man
Ijit: A corruption of "idiot", pronounced "ee-jit"
Well: Very (As in "well good" = "very good")
Luv: Term of affection (sort of) used most commonly by men towards women, sometimes between two women, can be used in other situations but pretty much never between two guys. Personally I don't like this word very much.
Mate: Friend, used between two male friends (e.g. "How you doing, mate?)
Bruv: Cockney. Used similarly to 'mate' or 'bro'
Pet: Similar to "luv", used in Newcastle.
Geordie: Someone from Newcastle
Scouser: Someone from Liverpool
Manc: Someone from Manchester
Brummie: Someone from Birmingham. Birmingham is also sometimes referred to as Brum
Taffy: Someone from Wales. Techincally South Wales but generally used by English (and possibly Scottish?) to refer to people from the whole of Wales. Somewhat derogatry; comes from the River Taff, which runs through Cardiff.
Gog: Someone from North Wales. I think this is somewhat derogatry as well. Used in Wales; comes from the Welsh word for 'North'
Cwtch: To cuddle or snuggle (approximately), a Welsh word that crept into the English language due to a lack of a direct translation (it has connatations of safeguarding someone on top on cuddling, amongst other things)
Dole: Job Seeker's Allowance, often used negatively, to apply to people on JSA but just taking the money so they don't have to work (e.g. "He's on the dole")

My friends keep saying spaghetti to mean awkward or to be awkward, I don't think it'll catch on though. Who knows?

Someone mentioned 'chappies' earlier on. 'Chappy' and 'Chap' are rather old-fashioned, and would probably only ever be used by Brits ironically or humorously. Actually I'm surprised even an old man uses words like that anymore, from the sounds of his quote, I think he was using it humorously.