PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Duskblade

Cranthis
2012-10-20, 07:55 PM
You read the title. Would a ranged variant of the duskblade be viable? I think it would be interesting.

Snowbluff
2012-10-20, 07:58 PM
Like if they could use channeling with ranged attacks? At 13, being able to full attack channel every round would be pretty messed up, since you won't have to move like a regular Duskblade.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-20, 08:05 PM
I think it would end up being what the Arcane Archer should have been.

Boci
2012-10-20, 08:13 PM
Like if they could use channeling with ranged attacks? At 13, being able to full attack channel every round would be pretty messed up, since you won't have to move like a regular Duskblade.

They would lose out on power attack, which the duskblade has pretty good synergy with. Number of attacks archers can make may be problematic, will need to consider.

Cranthis
2012-10-20, 08:14 PM
Once they are at 13, they can just many shot to make up for the lack of power attack

Boci
2012-10-20, 08:18 PM
Once they are at 13, they can just many shot to make up for the lack of power attack

I'm guessing you mean shoot a lot of shots, rather than the feat many shots?

Cranthis
2012-10-20, 08:23 PM
Both. If you are buffed properly, combined with magic items, the negatives on many shot should only be a minor inconvenience.

Urpriest
2012-10-20, 08:58 PM
Both. If you are buffed properly, combined with magic items, the negatives on many shot should only be a minor inconvenience.

Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with the level 13 ability, unless you let it activate on manyshot instead of a full attack.

Cranthis
2012-10-20, 09:00 PM
Its my understanding that you can apply many shot to full attack round as well.

Boci
2012-10-20, 09:04 PM

No. Greater arcane channeling is a full round action. Many shot allows you to take a full attack as a standard action. Full attack does not equal full round action. Wow, double swordsage'd.

It is not your understanding, nor is it anybody's.

Wait what? Just because an understanding is wrong doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Urpriest

It is not your understanding, nor is it anybody's. Like any other standard action, you can't manyshot and take a full-round action in the same round without a source of extra actions.

BowStreetRunner
Manyshot is explicitly a standard action. A full-round action (such as a full attack) cannot be coupled with a standard action.

Cranthis
2012-10-20, 09:13 PM
Well allright then. But back to the original point, a ranged duskblade would be pretty nice I think.

Boci
2012-10-20, 09:21 PM
It certainly would. But given the advantages in range it would have, some nerfs may be in order.

Would requiring a move action to "power up" arcane charge be too much? You are getting a significant boost to range, and assuming their are some melee character's in the party, you shoud be somewhat protected from counter attacks, which is nifty for a glass cannon.

As for grater arcane channeling...I this requires more thought. If the interpretation that you can only effect a single creature 1/round is used, then the ranged variant will recieve an even greater boost as it will more easily be able to target different creature with its full attack...

eggs
2012-10-20, 09:23 PM
I don't think anyone's objecting to that until level 13 - it considerable damage and control, but gains some flexibility in range.

But it really depends how the level 13 ability is handled. Snowbluff's right - melee reach is a huge limiting factor in the ability. It would need to be nerfed or limited somehow. The easy way that nobody's going to like would be allowing a channeled spell to apply once to the first target hit during a full-round weapon attack without affecting subsequent targets.

Snowbluff
2012-10-20, 09:23 PM
If it can only hit each target once per full channel, it might as well be a second level Arcane Archer.

Cranthis
2012-10-20, 09:26 PM
t certainly would. But given the advantages in range it would have, some nerfs may be in order.

I agree, and I like your idea about the move action thing. But yes, the full action channeling is harder to deal with. Possibly move it up to 15th or 17th level? That way you are dealing damage somewhere inbetween the hard casters and the other melee/ranged.

Boci
2012-10-20, 09:28 PM
What if they had to re-cast the spell on subsequent attacks? It would force them to conserve spells...and with 4 encounters per day, that should put a dent in even the duskblade's spells.

Snowbluff
2012-10-20, 09:31 PM
Sounds good. And spells like Chill Touch that have multiple charges?

Cranthis
2012-10-20, 09:32 PM
Yeah, or maybe still cast it once, but it does use spell slots equivalent to the number of attacks you make.

Cranthis
2012-10-20, 09:33 PM

The same as channeling it normally. Channelling chill touch doesn't let you melee attack multiple targets on a regular duskblade.

Boci
2012-10-20, 09:34 PM

Doesn't arcane channel negate the mutiple target aspect of spells? I see little reason to change that.

And swordsage'd again. I need to boost my initiative.

Cranthis
2012-10-20, 09:46 PM
It negates everything but chain spell. But you couldn't do that until you had the full round channel anyways.

Darrin
2012-10-21, 08:46 AM
Duskblade 13/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 4. Full-attack channel + lightning ricochet.

docnessuno
2012-10-21, 09:18 AM
I think a ranged duskblade would be fine, i would just alter a tad its spell list, replacing some MTA spells with RTA ones, and key ranged arcane channeling on RTAs (wich are usually slighly less powerful then MTAs of the same levels.).

Answerer
2012-10-21, 09:50 AM
It depends on your group. Duskblades are kind of underpowered to begin with. Arcane Channeling is good but their spell list is bad. You don't even get that many spells that work with Arcane Channeling.

I think a ranged duskblade would be fine, i would just alter a tad its spell list, replacing some MTA spells with RTA ones, and key ranged arcane channeling on RTAs (wich are usually slighly less powerful then MTAs of the same levels.).
This is a great idea too.

Cranthis
2012-10-21, 11:39 AM
It depends on your group. Duskblades are kind of underpowered to begin with. Arcane Channeling is good but their spell list is bad. You don't even get that many spells that work with Arcane Channeling.

You say that, but have you seen one effectively played? They do almost as good in combat as a wizard. They may have a small spell list, but that is all they need. Besides, if there is a spell you really want, you could always Extra Spell it, or find a bloodline for it.