PDA

View Full Version : Breath of Fire in D&D? (3.5)

Overlord Rion
2012-10-20, 11:03 PM
Now, I've got a question for anybody who has actually played all four games (as I don't count Dragon Quarter as a BoF game).

I'm trying, just as a thought exercise mind you, to recreate several of my favorite characters from the series. Of particular note:

Ryus from I to IV.

The Ninas from I to IV

Rand, from II

Katt, from II (Catfolk, either Monk or Battle Dancer)

Rei, from III (Rogue Weretiger with a focus in throwing knives)

Scias, from IV (Lupin Swordsage with some ranks in Iaijutsu Focus)

Cray, from IV (Barbarian wielding a greatclub. Judging from the art and game, it has to be large sized)

Garr, from III

Momo, from III

Ursula, from IV

And you know what? Fou-Lu, from IV, just because. (Soulknife?)

So, any thoughts?

EDIT: Added more people.

The Redwolf
2012-10-20, 11:11 PM
I've actually done this to a degree, as I plan on playing a catfolk rogue named Rei and when I DM'd a campaign I had a city of catfolk with a leader named Cray. I figured Cray was a barbarian with a greatclub and Rei is going to be a weretiger rogue who focuses on knife-throwing.

For Scias I'd say maybe a swordsage, as it gets the skill with a sword and the fact that he can deal elemental damage out there, not sure of a dog race except maybe Mongrelfolk? Not really clear on what Mongrelfolk are, but it's the only one that sounds right.

Although it is often regarded poorly soulknife could work well for Fou-Lu since he has the Royal Sword, I haven't put a lot of thought into Kat honestly. Rand is probably a monk, as he hits stuff hard and completely barehanded (even though he wears gloves as a weapon, whatever), although a race for him I have no idea.

Finally, as for Ryu I'm actually working on making a homebrew class right now for a campaign setting I'm building that will be based off of Ryu from BOF3, i.e. as you level up you can select new genes like spellcasters select spells and you can use them to power yourself up, also they get specific spells.

If any of that helped, great, if not, sorry.

T.G. Oskar
2012-10-21, 10:41 AM
Now, I've got a question for anybody who has actually played all four games (as I don't count Dragon Quarter as a BoF game).

AMEN, brother!! I believe one of the reasons why Capcom has essentially nixed BoF from their list of games is because of Dragon Quarter. It's so different from the rest, and it's just not what Capcom currently represents.

I'm trying, just as a thought exercise mind you, to recreate several of my favorite characters from the series. Of particular note:

Ryus from I to IV.

Rand, from II

Katt, from II

Rei, from III

Scias, from IV

Cray, from IV

And you know what? Fou-Lu, from IV, just because.
So, any thoughts?

Ryu's really hard to replicate, because it can transform into various dragons. What's more important, the Kaiser Dragon (Ryu's true form, so to speak) is a unique dragon, and Ryu can replicate the forms of other dragons. At most, I'd begin by making Ryu a true dragon, and a homebrewed dragon at it. Then, he usually works as a Warblade, wielding a sword. At best, take a Gold Dragon (young or juvenile) and give it class levels in Warblade. That means probably making Ryu an Epic character, since in order to play a Young dragon by using Draconomicon, you must consider the character as if it were 20th level (14 dragon HD, +6 LA). Then, he spends all time in human form. Ryu is usually young in human term (16 years or so), thus it fits. Still, the only way to work it out is homebrewing the Kaiser Dragon and allowing it a per day Draconic Polymorph SLA, using the "genes" as a way to modify the transformations. A half-dragon form should be duplicated as well.

As for the Worens...Catfolk work nicely, with Katt being probably a Monk or Battle Dancer (the latter from Dragon Compendium) and with a pretty high Intimidate bonus. Cray should be a Barbarian, I agree. Rei fits well as a Rogue with Two-Weapon Fighting, and eventually getting the Weretiger template.

Scias is from one of the other popular clans (the Highlanders, I believe, from where Bo and Bow also originate)...Swordsage works nicely (with Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword and a Katana, and probably Iaijutsu Focus) does it nicely. Race is harder to figure, but I propose Lupins from Dragon Compendium, which is the closest race.

Rand is the big, tough (pun not intended) question to handle. There's few races that duplicate armadillos except for a permanently Large Crucian. His fighting style uses knuckles, so he also fits with the Monk archetype, but he at least can multiclass as a Cleric and become a Sacred Fist (for the healing spells and Earthquake), probably from a God of Earth.

Overlord Rion
2012-10-21, 08:58 PM
Added the OP with a few more people to emulate.

The Redwolf
2012-10-21, 09:02 PM
Momo and Ursula would be easiest with gunslingers from Pathfinder, and the Ninas always seemed like sorcerers to me, maybe with grafts for wings or raptoran race or something like that. I know that Wu Jen is always named as being an elemental focused sorcerer or wizard or something like that, so you might be able to get a wind-focused Wu Jen to work well, I'm honestly not positive on what they are though, someone else might be able to better elaborate on them.

danzibr
2012-10-22, 07:58 AM
Finally, as for Ryu I'm actually working on making a homebrew class right now for a campaign setting I'm building that will be based off of Ryu from BOF3, i.e. as you level up you can select new genes like spellcasters select spells and you can use them to power yourself up, also they get specific spells.
Now this will be interesting.

As for the making of characters, why give Rei throwing knives? The only time I ever recall him throwing one is the very beginning when those Currs or whatever are going to eat baby Ryu.

I'd think Rogue Weretiger Catfolk would be good for him.

I also agree that BoF doesn't count as a BoF game... sort of. I mean, it's honestly a decent game but is so different from the others perhaps it should've gotten a different name. Like just Dragon Quarter instead of BoF: Dragon Quarter. I still have my fingers crossed for another BoF game.

HunterColt22
2012-10-22, 08:01 AM
Ryu is actually very, very, very easy to make without the pun pun/ epic character campaign, especially if you are doing more of the style from 1, 2 and parts of 3. Aspect of the dragon ACF for Druids. Gives you aspects of dragons rather than wild shape, which in all honesty, more pertains to Ryu until very late in any game for BoF than actually going into a full blown dragon. That with a mix of monk into initiate of the draconic mysteries pretty much solves the problem of a kaiser dragon, pretty much because it is a gold dragon and or prism dragon for lack of a better term in D&D aspects. :smallamused:

The Redwolf
2012-10-22, 01:31 PM
Now this will be interesting.

As for the making of characters, why give Rei throwing knives? The only time I ever recall him throwing one is the very beginning when those Currs or whatever are going to eat baby Ryu.

To me Rei's animation always looked like he was actually throwing the knives at the enemy when he attacked. It's like he pulls back and then releases on that upswing, might just be me though.