PDA

View Full Version : Pre-generated characters

TheThan
2012-10-21, 02:03 PM
When I start a new RPG system I’m usually the only person at the table with a copy of the rules. So I tend to create PC characters for the players to pick up and use as a first time character. After the initial adventure I use to teach my players the system, I give my players the opportunity to create their own (with my help of course) or to continue to use the pre-generated characters I made.

Some of my players enjoy this idea, it takes a lot of pressure off of them to create a character in a system they haven’t learned, so they can focus on learning the system. Several of them have expressed to me that they are happy with the pre-generated character(s) and that they are with to continue using them as their characters. Others however prefer to have their own character from the beginning. Either way is fine with me, I’m happy to help someone create their character.

So I was wondering what other people thought of the idea of a pre-generated character. It’s something we see a lot of in computer/console RPGs (especially JRPGs).

Would you be interested in using a pre-generated character made by the DM?
if so would you continue using that character? or would you create your own?

Jeraa
2012-10-21, 02:15 PM
I prefer to have several pre-generated characters around. Even if they only get used as temporary characters, such as when a PCs main character dies and he needs a replacement for a while, until the main character gets revived. Or if someone brings a guest over, that person could have a ready-made character for him, and we don't have to spend time waiting for him to roll one up.

As long as a pre-generated character is not forced on someone. A player should always have the option to create a character himself.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-21, 02:43 PM
I don't poke my head into other systems much. I get my PnP fix from 3.5 pretty much exclusively.

If I was going into a new game though, I'd definitely prefer to have a pre-gen character ready to go, so I can get a feel for the game, and more importantly the group, before I started delving into char-gen for myself.

Starting with a tutorial is usually a good idea.

Man on Fire
2012-10-21, 03:15 PM
There is a 3rd party Warhammer Fantasy RPG adventure published only in my country, Lord of The Winter. It is quite popular among Warhammer FRP fans to this day. It has pre-generated characters because it's main assumption is that everybody play soldiers. I played ome parts, through we never finished it (group felts apart) and it was quite good. It convinced me that pre-made chracters sure have their place in rpgs, if you have an idea for them.

DonEsteban
2012-10-21, 03:23 PM
> Would you be interested in using a pre-generated character made by the DM?

Yes, I certainly would. At least if character creation was nearly as time consuming as in D&D. I wonder why my Player's Handbook didn't come with a few iconic pregens. (I know that a few adventures did, and I thin that's a good idea.)

> if so would you continue using that character? or would you create your own?

I would probably want to build my own. Unless it's really cool and I see a chance to develop it.

Agent_0042
2012-10-21, 03:30 PM
Pretty much what the OP says. If it's a new system, I tell the players what kinds of characters fit and are viable, let them pick their archetype or schtick, and build them the most competent character I can within those guidelines. It helps that I'm generally a better optimizer than my fellows, so they usually stick with them, aside from minor tweaks, if it's something ongoing.

Knaight
2012-10-21, 03:35 PM
I generally don't use pre-generated characters. I'll use them for one shots, particularly for rules heavy games, but if I'm going to be playing the character for a while then I'm going to make them myself. This is particularly true for the systems I actually like, as they have a tendency to be on the rules light end. Creating a character in Fudge, or Chronica Feudalis is far faster and easier than doing so for a game like D&D, and it is those games I generally favor.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-10-21, 03:44 PM
As long as a pre-generated character is not forced on someone. A player should always have the option to create a character himself.

I have a Gnome Paladin you could play...

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-10-21, 04:01 PM
You know, I like the idea of teaching players with pre-gen, one-session characters. Even better, you can use that initial session to establish game canon. Put the characters in a high-stakes situation, let the players send them at one another full-tilt (with absolutely no investment, because they know it's only one session), and then the PCs come in after the fallout. Or during it.

Kiero
2012-10-21, 05:19 PM
I'd only accept pregens for a one-shot, and there'd better be at least twice as many choices as there are players.

Otherwise I'm not interested, for an ongoing game I make my own character (that's also one of the reasons I'm vehemently opposed to random chargen).

scurv
2012-10-21, 07:03 PM
I rather make my own, But If it is part of the DM's plot...I'll go with it I like a challange

Jack of Spades
2012-10-21, 08:40 PM
For one-offs, pregens are nice. I'm not going to spend ~an hour on a character who's probably going to die this session.

If it's anything more than a one-shot, though, I'll generally just annoy the DM/ST/Whatever for a digital copy of the rules (we don't have many print books in our group) and learn enough about the system that I can make a character on my own.

TheThan
2012-10-22, 12:05 AM
I usually make several characters and allow my players to pick the ones they want to play. I would never just make a character and force it onto someone “this is your character”. No, I give my players the chance to choose out of the characters I’ve created for the setting. However sometimes I make characters with specific players in mind, but I’m not forcing players to play specific heroes that I’ve made.

TheOOB
2012-10-22, 03:06 AM
Unless it's a really short campaign with planned roles, I always want to create my own character, but the again I tend to learn new systems fairly quick and actually enjoy doing so.(If it is a short campaign with planned roles I don't mind playing a pregen as it helps the plot).

I have made pregen characters before, and I have nothing against anyone who does or wants to play one.

Totally Guy
2012-10-22, 03:45 AM
Convention play has become my main style. So pregens come up often.

EccentricCircle
2012-10-22, 04:28 AM
Pre gens are very useful for one shot games when there simply isn't time to go through character creation. But I do think that a lot of DM's get the wrong end of the stick when writing Pregens, What I want is a generic Rogue, wizard, Computer technician, whatever. but with the details left up to me.
I find it very frustrating when the DM says "ok, you're playing Elric Vorbrand he's a lawful neutral fighter this is his backstory..."
Name, background, even alignment should always be left up to the player.

Agent_0042
2012-10-22, 07:31 AM
Pre gens are very useful for one shot games when there simply isn't time to go through character creation. But I do think that a lot of DM's get the wrong end of the stick when writing Pregens, What I want is a generic Rogue, wizard, Computer technician, whatever. but with the details left up to me.
I find it very frustrating when the DM says "ok, you're playing Elric Vorbrand he's a lawful neutral fighter this is his backstory..."
Name, background, even alignment should always be left up to the player.

This. Pregen characters are for when the player isn't solid on the mechanics. If you're unfamiliar with the setting, I'll nudge you in the right direction, but aside from that the concept is all you. You design, I implement.

Thialfi
2012-10-24, 02:15 PM
I have played several characters that the DM selected for me and in every single instance I would have been much happier making my own character. I have never developed a connection with any of these characters and I want to dump them for my own at the earliest possible moment. If it is a new system that I do not know, the only help I want from my DM is with understanding the system. I'll create my own characters once that is done.

TheThan
2012-10-25, 11:09 PM
So, so far most people are only interested in playing pre-generated characters in one shot or premade adventures. It’s a bit interesting and not quite the result I expected (that being a general “NO” across the board). Now I’m wondering how many people would be willing to try running a pre-generated character for a longer game (that is to say, longer than a one shot).

Krazzman
2012-10-26, 01:51 AM
For new systems? Yes I would like it.

We played Gurps once(and later once again...). Both times a "failure".

The second wasn't that bad. I made me a shaman but it didn't quite work out.

The first time though has marked my dislike for this system. On a bit of a short notice we had to roll up characters. One guy was going Mage, one was going Oracle/Medic and the other was going for Austrian Genius Inventor.
I started to think I should play a sort of Meatshieldy-Paladin. Had a bit of an idea what magix powers to take. DM helps me create... and left me with my finished unfinished character that was now... meatshield the mono-speaker. Instead of a Holy-Shieldbashing Defender. Thus my Backstory didn't fit anymore and well I suck at improv. It was referenced for the rest of my "career" with that group.
What I wanted to play was a "Shield-Blader" from Cabal mixed with the Ragnarok Online Crusader. I got Marty Mc Mundane in a campaign where we would be against Werewolves and stuff. Imagine Supernatural in 18th century.

When there were PreGens from our DM it would've made more sense I suppose. The others might've not enjoyed it that much but well...

SigniferLux
2012-10-26, 02:56 AM
Personally, i would play pregenerated characters, as far as they do not have one specific characteristic i do not like.
Generally, i prefer characters i make myself, but i would be happy, maybe honored too, to play a pregenerated character that will help the storyteller.

Kiero
2012-10-26, 08:08 AM
Now I’m wondering how many people would be willing to try running a pre-generated character for a longer game (that is to say, longer than a one shot).

As I said, categorically not interested. Even less so if it's one made for me by the GM.

I might even be persuaded to use one for a many-shot (a still short game, but perhaps for a maximum of six sessions), but only if I could choose one from a stable of many.

DontEatRawHagis
2012-10-26, 11:06 AM
So I was wondering what other people thought of the idea of a pre-generated character. It’s something we see a lot of in computer/console RPGs (especially JRPGs).

Would you be interested in using a pre-generated character made by the DM?
if so would you continue using that character? or would you create your own?
1. Yes. As a DM I only use Pre-Gens for Paranoia, because of the randomness and fun it usually has for a game that is about paranoia.
2. Depends. If the character has abilities or skills that I can use, then yes. Otherwise I would create my own.

In a homebrew of Fallout a friend of mine is running I know I wouldn't be able to make a character without at least spending 9 hours trying to figure out the system so I just said, "I take Heavy Weapons Guy", a pre-gen with big guns as his specialty.

Thialfi
2012-10-26, 11:52 AM
So, so far most people are only interested in playing pre-generated characters in one shot or premade adventures. It’s a bit interesting and not quite the result I expected (that being a general “NO” across the board). Now I’m wondering how many people would be willing to try running a pre-generated character for a longer game (that is to say, longer than a one shot).

I dislike the idea of a pre-generated character for a one shot adventure. It would be an absolute deal breaker for longer periods of time.

navar100
2012-10-26, 12:23 PM
For a convention game, ok. There really isn't time to create characters. For a home campaign, I prefer to make my own even if I need to learn the rules. I'm an unashamed optimizer, and I often find the DM makes poor choices for pre-made characters. I remember once for a 3E convention game the DM had the cleric prepare Cure Light Wounds, twice.

The DM controls all the NPCs, the books used, house rules, plot points, the monster population, amount and what kind of magic items, rate of XP rewards, etc. The PC is the only thing a player gets to control. To take that away from him, the DM should just write the novel he wants to tell already.

nedz
2012-10-26, 05:18 PM
In a pick up game (for a one-shot or play test etc.) then fine.

For a real game, then NO.

I take it as self evident that: Player's own their characters.
If you give them pre-gens then this is not the case.

It also means that any build mistakes/poor choices will be blamed on the DM.
Even good build choices will rankle.