PDA

View Full Version : Surefooted Stride--Query

ShriekingDrake
2012-10-21, 06:08 PM
I saw a post--wish I could remember when--that suggested that Surefooted Stride (SC) would enable the subject of that spell to traverse a Wall of Thorns.

Really?

I suppose it is possible to read it that way, but it doesn't resonate for me. Is Wall of Thorns really producing something that could be described as difficult terrain for purposes of Surefooted Stride?

Moreover, if Surefooted Stride would work in this way, I wonder what other kinds of spell it might affect neutralize.

Flickerdart
2012-10-21, 06:30 PM
Difficult terrain is a game term - it refers specifically to a square that requires two squares worth of movement to pass through. Wall of Thorns does not produce difficult terrain.

ShriekingDrake
2012-10-21, 07:01 PM
That works for me. It's RAW, logical, and complements my instincts on this issue. Thanks for this thoughtful observation.

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-21, 08:11 PM
The spell Wall of Thorns states that "Creatures with the ability to pass through overgrown areas unhindered can pass through a wall of thorns at normal speed without taking damage."

ShriekingDrake
2012-10-21, 09:05 PM
The spell Wall of Thorns states that "Creatures with the ability to pass through overgrown areas unhindered can pass through a wall of thorns at normal speed without taking damage."

This is where I'm sure the post I had originally had seen was coming from. The question is, I suppose, "Does Surefooted Stride let one 'pass through overgrown areas unhindered'?"

Is an overgrown area, difficult terrain, per se?

Does it make a difference whether the difficult terrain or overgrown area exists naturally or as a result of magic, as it does with the Druid's Woodland Stride ability.

I'm still thinking the pieces don't add up, but would be glad to be persuaded more convincingly either way.

Flickerdart
2012-10-22, 08:21 AM
Being able to pass through overgrown terrain and being able to pass through difficult terrain are not equivalent abilities. For instance, a solid wall of trees and vines would be overgrown terrain, but not difficult terrain (because you can't move through it regardless of how many squares you spend).

BowStreetRunner
2012-10-22, 09:23 AM
The only game mechanic of which I am aware where some characters are hindered when passing through overgrown areas and others are not is the difficult terrain mechanic. If anyone can show me any examples of "creatures with the ability to pass through overgrown areas unhindered" besides creatures with woodland stride and similar abilities, it might be helpful. It's hard to guess what abilities the author of the spell had in mind otherwise, since no examples were provided in the spell description.

We have always treated this as a specific exception that targets woodland stride and similar abilities. The description of the druid's woodland stride in the player's handbook seemed to fit the bill since it states the druid can "move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment."

ShriekingDrake
2012-10-22, 07:10 PM
The lack of specificity makes the spell difficult to want to prepare, unless, of course, the campaign is really clearly in difficult terrain the whole way.