PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Monk a possibility?

TomPokenutter
2012-10-21, 11:51 PM
I'm trying to throw together character ideas for an upcoming campaign, and I started thinking about a gestalt Monk/Cleric or Monk/Sorceror. My big thing with this character, though, is that they'd be best off somehow combining the spells with their unarmed strikes. For example, an unarmed strike augmented by Shocking Grasp or Chill Touch (or, if we go the Cleric route, Inflict Light Wounds.) Unfortunately, I don't know if there's a way to combine a touch attack with an unarmed strike. Does anyone know if there's a resource that describes this kind of rule?

eggs
2012-10-22, 12:03 AM
Complete Arcane and the Rules compendium say that you can make an unarmed strike as a part of casting a touch spell. If you hit the normal AC (not touch), the spell affects the target immediately; otherwise the charge is held until you touch something to discharge it.

TomPokenutter
2012-10-22, 12:27 PM
So, would the damage if the spell be dealt in addition to the unarmed strike? Or just the damage from the spell?

Diarmuid
2012-10-22, 02:01 PM
You would deal unarmed strike dmg in addition to the spell, but you trade having to hit their normal AC vs their Touch AC. Also, you're never going to flurry and cast in the same round without some kind of action economy shenanigans.

jmelesky
2012-10-22, 02:48 PM
If you're open to PF, gestalting Magus and Monk would let you cast a spell and full attack in the same round. The fluff suggests it wouldn't work, though (Monk flurry and Magus spell combat are "as if using" and "much like" Two-Weapon Fighting, respectively).

Still, if your GM is okay with it, it looks like the combo for you.