PDA

View Full Version : How to rp in a game within a game campaign

Togath
2012-10-22, 12:14 AM
In a pbp campaign I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out to rp the situation.
The main problem is that the campaign is in a "game within a game" setting, currently the group(the party of characters) is in a gaming store discussing Yugioh(the cardgame, the setting is loosely based off of the mangas and anime, leaning towards the earlier settings), in this case, should I join in the discussion of strategies for it? The campaign is meant to be sandboxy, but at the moment, it's a bit confusing(due to the game within a game aspect) figuring out how to rp(especially since my character is a newb to the tcg that's the focus of at least part of the campaign, while I actually know a fair amount about it IRL).
It's a bit hard to tell the line between out of character and in character, since both involve game mechanics.

RFLS
2012-10-22, 02:53 AM
In a pbp campaign I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out to rp the situation.
The main problem is that the campaign is in a "game within a game" setting, currently the group(the party of characters) is in a gaming store discussing Yugioh(the cardgame, the setting is loosely based off of the mangas and anime, leaning towards the earlier settings), in this case, should I join in the discussion of strategies for it? The campaign is meant to be sandboxy, but at the moment, it's a bit confusing(due to the game within a game aspect) figuring out how to rp(especially since my character is a newb to the tcg that's the focus of at least part of the campaign, while I actually know a fair amount about it IRL).
It's a bit hard to tell the line between out of character and in character, since both involve game mechanics.

Honestly? Your best bet is to preface every statement with "As _____."

Get out with your sanity while you still can, though.

Totally Guy
2012-10-22, 03:51 AM
The only game I know that does a game within a game is 1001 Nights by Meguey Baker.

Togath
2012-10-22, 05:16 AM
I think a good way t describe the campaign in this case is;
Imagine owning, and having read a book from a series IRL, then in a rpg having your character end up with the same book in-game, and then having your character, and the rest of the party as well, talk about the in-game book in-character, while discussing possible ways the plot of the series could evolve(still in character mind you), and then later IRL discussing how the plot of the series could evolve.

Fable Wright
2012-10-22, 06:16 AM
...Out of curiosity, what system are you running this in? It seems interesting.

So, one of the ways that you might help alleviate the problems is by getting into another playstyle's mindset. This (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b) article for Magic: the Gathering (different game, yes, but same basic principles) has an example of three different ways that people think about the game in. One of the mindsets people tend to go into is the "Timmy" mindset- wanting to play big creatures (Monsters for Yugioh), win explosively, and so on. So, if you wanted your character to be a timmy, one way of handling it would be to just go back and look over the set(s) you're playing with and look at the cards from that perspective. I'm not familiar with much Yugioh, having been a kid when it just came out and collecting the cards for under a year, but I remember being impressed with things like Blue Eyes White Dragon, ritual summoning cards, and similar big, splashy cards like that. Big, splashy effects that win games through sheer force rather than synergy. Focusing on viewing cards through a perspective like that might help you roleplay this. Though, I have to admit, it would be rather hard not to metagame in this...

But yeah. Talking about strategy through a Timmy-like perspective, focusing on simple, powerful effects and more or less ignoring synergies between cards might help you get into character.

Togath
2012-10-22, 07:50 AM
Aye, that's good advice.
Also we're running d20modern for the system(both because most of us were more used to d20 systems, and for the sake of trying an uncommon d20 system)
And yes, it is a little hard to not meta game(playing my character in a "Timmy" style should help though)