PDA

View Full Version : Is there and Empower Breath feat?

Malphite
2012-10-22, 12:15 AM
Hello everyone, I am Malphite I am new to the forums but I am a veteran DM of 3.5. I run a weekly game every friday at my place of residence, currently I am running a game that is based on Majora's Mask which contains throw backs to a game I first ran for two of my current players.

Now to the topic at hand. In this game one of my players is playing a dragonfire adept, and he is using a feat called Empower Breath. According to him and one of my other players, this feat can do in theory, infinite damage at the cost of losing your breath weapon for a certain amount of times you empower it. Now I am not 100% sure if this feat exists, and both of my players have not told me what book the feat is in. I was hoping that someone here could let me know if such a feat exists :).

Thank You for all who can help me in this search for said feat :P.

Ubercaledor
2012-10-22, 01:20 AM
"Maximise breath" from p71, Draconomicon?

A breath attack uses maximum damage, lasts for the maximum time, but takes a full round action.

e.g. a breath attack that dealt 2d6 damage for 1d4 turns would deal 12 damage for 4 turns

That's the closest I could find...

Ubercaledor
2012-10-22, 01:22 AM
also see Heighten Breath, Enlarge breath, Extend Spreading Breath, Lingering Breath?

Khedrac
2012-10-22, 02:19 AM
As the DM you need to have a good read of the Draconomicon and Dragon magic books then work out how you want to handle it.

If you don't have the books, borrow them from the players wanting to use them. If they don't have the book then ban them from using material they don't have legal access to.

The feat exists, but there is a problem with the way most of the meta-breath feats have been written.
There's a general rule saying you can stack multiple uses of the same extension to the same breath in exchange for a longer delay before the next breath.
This appears to be intended to allow multiple size alterations, but is written as a general rule for all the metabreath feats. The feats themselves usually don't reference this, or when they do it is in a way that suggests it should not apply.

So, RAW your player is correct, but they are forgetting rule zero - the DM has the final call on such things - and on this one they should know better than to even try it. Trying to use such an ability regularly is just asking for the DM to come up with an opponent who will be boosted by the breath...

Malphite
2012-10-22, 03:02 AM
Thank you :). I really appreciate the responses, I've read the draconomicon and the dragon magic books they are on my computer, and my players have them on their computers as well and I never came across it. But thank you for the information, I thought such an ability could never really be created without a bit of poor wording, that's just bad mechanics imo. Thanks :D.

Diarmuid
2012-10-22, 10:15 AM
There is also the issue that DFA does not generally have a breath weapon that has a recharge time, so those metabreath feats would not apply to them.

A common "trick" is to be a dragonborn and gain a breath weapon with a recharge timer so you can take those feats...but I argue that you would not be able to utilize them on your every round breath weapon.

Morcleon
2012-10-22, 11:09 AM
There is also the issue that DFA does not generally have a breath weapon that has a recharge time, so those metabreath feats would not apply to them.

A common "trick" is to be a dragonborn and gain a breath weapon with a recharge timer so you can take those feats...but I argue that you would not be able to utilize them on your every round breath weapon.

If you use the Power Surge feat, in Dragon 313, it allows you to:

Increase the damage by +1 per die
Increase the DC by +1
Increase the duration by +50% (not applicable to effects with an instantaneous duration)

When you do any of these, it also forces you to wait 1 round before using that ability again. Thus, your breath weapon now has a 1 round recharge, and can use metabreath feats. :smallbiggrin:

Diarmuid
2012-10-22, 01:00 PM
Hence my saying "does not generally..."

Malphite
2012-10-22, 01:18 PM
My player is a dragonborn, DFA. Specifically one who shouts Fu-so-ro-dah(sp?) whenever he uses his Dragonborn breath which is sonic. But thank you all for the aide in finding out the issues with the feat and other meta breath feats, I will either not let my players know and put them up against a very powerful breath user. Just to show the effects they have on it, or I will simply just say that the feat does not allow it to stack indefinetly.

I do believe that widen breath could be stacked onto this infinite damage build thus allowing me to do a TPK, but I'll be looking into that to see if that works. Thanks again everyone.