PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade after 13

Cranthis
2012-10-22, 02:37 AM
Well. Duskblade pretty much peters out after level 13 (though is still great to go full 20) and I was wondering if anyone has any good prestige classes to go into at this point.

HunterOfJello
2012-10-22, 03:05 AM
Abjurant Champion is a top pick. Full BAB progression and full spellcasting over 5 levels. It gives you very nice benefits to your abjuration spellcasting.

Sandshaper 1can give you a bunch of spells known. Whether you want those spells or not is up to your playstyle.

Swiftblade is very strong and a good choice if you care more about the melee aspect of the duskblade than the spellcasting side.

~

You could always do Duskblade 13/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theruge 5. You'd be able to cast spells as a 18th level Duskblade and be able to cast 7th level cleric spells too.

Cranthis
2012-10-22, 03:17 AM
You could always do Duskblade 13/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theruge 5. You'd be able to cast spells as a 18th level Duskblade and be able to cast 7th level cleric spells too. Something tells me that I wouldnt get 7th level spells from that. But I'm gonna have to look at Sandshaper. And unfortunately, Swiftblade requires haste, which duskblades don't have

Edit: Sandshaper wouldn't work for this character, unfortunately.

eggs
2012-10-22, 04:08 AM
Something tells me that I wouldnt get 7th level spells from that.
There's a reason people say Ur-Priest is ridiculous.

Chameleon is popular for access to any Arcane spell up to level 5, and Enlightened Fist is kind of nice for turning all those rays on the Duskblade spell list into spells it can channel.

Knight of the Weave 2/Abjurant Champion 5 (using Martial Arcanist on Duskblade) splits the casting stat, but adds quite a few of the defensive buffs Duskblade lacks, and winds up with 19/26 Duskblade/KotW caster levels.

HunterOfJello
2012-10-22, 04:29 AM
Something tells me that I wouldnt get 7th level spells from that.

Something tells me that you've never read the Ur-Priest entry. :smalltongue:

Anti-theists get all the nice things.

~

Also, you could take Extra Spell to gain Haste.

Cranthis
2012-10-22, 04:44 AM
Oh wow. Thats insane. Unfortunately, my character isn't evil.

hex0
2012-10-22, 07:46 AM
And unfortunately, Swiftblade requires haste, which duskblades don't have

Duskblade 13/Spellthief 1/Trapsmith 1/Swiftblade 5 ? Trapsmith has a great list of spells and you don't need a high CHA like Suel or KOTW.

You could also dip Warblade then go into Bloodstorm Blade...

Telonius
2012-10-22, 11:48 AM
Jade Phoenix Mage can offer some nifty stuff if you're more about magic-augmented melee than arcane casting. When's the last time your Duskblade used all of his spells per day? Those slots can now be doing something useful.

dextercorvia
2012-10-22, 12:24 PM
Duskblade 13/Spellthief 1/Trapsmith 1/Swiftblade 5 ? Trapsmith has a great list of spells and you don't need a high CHA like Suel or KOTW.

You could also dip Warblade then go into Bloodstorm Blade...

Duskblade 13 has 3rd level spell slots which can't have been used for haste -- that will make qualifying for Swiftblade difficult.

Duskblade13/Chameleon7 gets Double Focus, so you get 5th level spells from any arcane or divine list.

hex0
2012-10-22, 06:38 PM
Duskblade 13 has 3rd level spell slots which can't have been used for haste -- that will make qualifying for Swiftblade difficult.

The author of Swiftblade said he didn't care about that requirement and that trapsmith can indeed get into the PRC.

zeboss
2012-10-22, 09:08 PM
A fun thing you can do is take a level of warblade, which, unless i'm mistaken, allows you to get ironheart surge and white raven maneuvers, which are some of the best martial maneuvers in the tome of battle. Then you take two levels of bloodstorm blade, allowing you to use thunderous throw to channel touch spells into your thrown weapons, because they are treated as melee attacks.

dextercorvia
2012-10-22, 09:10 PM
The author of Swiftblade said he didn't care about that requirement and that trapsmith can indeed get into the PRC.

By RAW, trapsmith can enter if they don't have 3rd level slots, since they can cast haste, and have used all (of their 0) 3rd level slots to cast it. However, if you have 3rd level spell slots, they have to have been used for haste. Since Duskblade13 will have 3rd level slots, and haste isn't on his list, that will require some finagling.

Swiftblade is a powerful enough PrC that we don't need to just assume that prereqs will be waived.

Essence_of_War
2012-10-22, 09:50 PM
I think I mentioned this in your previous thread (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258622) but you could dip Cleric, then dip Nar Demonbinder, then use Abjurant Champion to progress the Demonbinder. That seems pretty silly.

hex0
2012-10-28, 04:00 PM
By RAW, trapsmith can enter if they don't have 3rd level slots, since they can cast haste, and have used all (of their 0) 3rd level slots to cast it. However, if you have 3rd level spell slots, they have to have been used for haste. Since Duskblade13 will have 3rd level slots, and haste isn't on his list, that will require some finagling.

Swiftblade is a powerful enough PrC that we don't need to just assume that prereqs will be waived.

Basically, the author said you have to cast haste regardless of what level spell it is

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-28, 04:18 PM
Bard 1/ Duskblade 13/ Sublime Chord, and use Whirlwind Attack with a spiked chain and Irresistible Dance.

docnessuno
2012-10-28, 05:06 PM
I'm still partial to the duskblade 15 / Abjurant champion 5 build, moreso if you can get shield on your list (with spell research for example). The extra use of quicken is worth the last 2 duskblade levels imho.

Mishkov
2012-10-28, 05:08 PM
Oh wow. Thats insane. Unfortunately, my character isn't evil.

So sandshaper wouldn't work and not evil, what are you looking for? :smallsmile:

Barbarian --> Rage Mage is kind of a fun/funny idea for a duskblade post 13 too.

darksolitaire
2012-10-28, 05:10 PM
Eldritch Master from Dragon Magazine 280. No-one else then me knows it even exists. :smallfrown:

Cranthis
2012-10-28, 05:13 PM
Eldritch Master from Dragon Magazine 280. No-one else then me knows it even exists. :smallfrown:

I would like to see it, but unfortunately I can't find it.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-10-28, 08:13 PM
Dervish from C.Warrior.

Grab Whirlwind Attack and a reach slashing weapon (like guisarme), enter a dance, and proceed to use a touch spell on every enemy you dash past.

darksolitaire
2012-10-29, 03:56 AM
I would like to see it, but unfortunately I can't find it.

Googling "eldritch master dragon magazine" resulted in preview of the document. There are other ways to...acquire the magazine itself.

Basically, Eldritch Master accelerates Duskblade casting and gives it access to new spells. It has bad base attack bonus, but you can still get fourth iterative with it.

Grim Reader
2012-10-29, 05:09 AM
I second Nar Demonbinder -> Abjurant Champion.

Another alternative is Initiate of the Seven Veils. Thats hard to squeak into though.

For something a bit more off the wall, Shapeshifte -> Master of Many Forms. Not ideal, you'll just miss out on the peak level of MoMF, though. Unless you can squeeze in Wildshape somewhere earlier in the build somehow.

Gwendol
2012-10-29, 05:33 AM
+1 to Dervish.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-10-29, 05:51 AM
My suggestion would be for a dip into Bard, followed by Sublime Chord to 20. This will get you up to 7th-level spells off the Bard or Sorcerer/Wizard list, which includes gems such as Bestow Curse (4), Contagion (4), Corporeal Instability (4), Night's Caress (5), Vulnerability (5), Ghoul Gauntlet (6), Spectral Touch (6), Plane Shift (7), and the like, plus the benefit of the Bard and Sor/Wiz spell lists otherwise (there are some good ones there). The only problem is, you would be CHA-based for these spells, which necessitates a high CHA, and also punishes spells that require a save. Still, wouldn't you love to be the guy that plane shifted the baddie with your sword?

Talionis
2012-10-29, 10:46 AM
Well if the op hasn't gotten third level spells yet on his Duskblade then it may make sense for him deviate from straight Duskblade to 13 and get Trapsmith or two levels of Wyrm Wizard to add Haste to his list and qualify for Swiftblade. Swiftblade is fun and works well for a Gish.

Chameleon is a great way to add a lot of spells both Divine and Arcane to your list. This also works well with Arcane Wrath From Jade Phoenix Mage or the similar feat.

Enlightened Fist will let you turn any ray into a touch attack thus greatly increasing your arsenal, but it comes online at level twenty.

Bloodstorm Blade level 10 let's you make a melee attack at Range to everyone in your range. There are many ways to greatly increase range so this could be pretty cool, but it would probably require epic levels.