PDA

View Full Version : How badly can these be abused?

Drakevarg
2012-10-22, 05:34 AM
For the campaign I'm currently running, the primary plot is a race to hunt down some artifacts in order to boost the party's power enough to slay a Great Wyrm Dragon with 20 class levels. With that in mind, these artifacts are SUPPOSED to be game-breaking. I just figured I'd toss them here for giggles, just to see how a forum full of gamers can abuse them.

The Black Blade
+8 Brilliant Energy Consumptive Burst Cold-Forged Adamantine* Greatsword
NN, Ego 35
INT 10
WIS 18
CHA 18
+14 Intimidate
+10 Knowledge (Religion)
+10 Sense Motive
At Will - Detect Undead, Mass Inflict Light Wounds
Darkvision 120 ft.
Blindsense 120 ft.

An ancient blade of indeterminate origin, it lacks any sort of decoration whatsoever. Its straight blade is remarkably devoid of any signs of wear and tear. Its handle is carved out of ebony, a straight cylinder wrapped in a leather grip with a bullet-shaped counterweight on the pummel. Just below the pummel is a dark metallic band inscribed with the words "Nel Nome Del Padre."

Bathed in Styxwater: The Black Blade is so inherently tied to death that it's very touch is like that of Styx. Anyone holding the sword takes 1d6 points of negative energy damage a round, as if they were on a plane with the negative-dominant trait. Furthermore, the Black Blade emits a desecrate effect in a 100 ft. radius centered on itself at all times.
Army of the Dead: The Black Blade feeds on the life energy of those it slays, retaining that energy within it. Using this energy, a necromancer can increase the HD of undead they can control at any one time to 4x the total HD of creatures slain by blade while in its weilder's possession.
Summon Echo (Su): Once a day, the Black Blade can draw upon an echo of the life force of any creature slain by it while in the posession of its current weilder. The creature is summoned, sans equipment or class levels, to the weilder's side with the Umbral Creature template attached. The echo is under the control of the Black Blade and will follow out its commands. The Black Blade may summon as many echoes as it pleases, but their total HD cannot exceed twice that of the sword's weilder. Summoned echoes remain with the blade until slain or until nothing living remains besides the weilder within the Black Blade's range of perception.

*Setting houserules state that Cold Iron becomes Cold-Forged, a material trait that can be applied to any metal, and Adamantine adds +2 Atk/Dmg.

Gems of the Elemental Paragons
These four spindle-shaped gems, each roughly two inches long and an inch in diameter, are said to be carved from the heart of the Elemental Planes. Regardless of if this is true, their power is not to be trifled with. To use a Gem of the Elemental Paragon, the user must have the ability to cast any spell on the Summon Monster or Summon Nature's Ally lines. The user may then summon a number of elementals of the specified type per day equal to (1/2 their HD x their primary casting modifier). For example, a 15th level Spirit Shaman with 20 WIS and the Gem of the Water Paragon may summon 35 HD of Water Elementals per day. They need not spend all these HD at once, and can space it out throughout the day similar to a Paladin's Lay on Hands ability. Each elemental summoned remains with the user for 1 Minute/HD or until slain.

If a character comes into the possession of multiple Gems of the Elemental Paragons, the number of HD each gem can summon doubles. For example, if the same Spirit Shaman came into possession of the Gem of the Air Paragon, he could summon 70 HD of Air Elementals. These allotments are separate for each gem, meaning the Spirit Shaman could also summon 70 HD of Water Elementals, for a total of 140 HD each day. Each new gem in the character's possession doubles this count again, meaning that a third gem would increase each gem's limit to 140 HD (for a total of 420) and a fourth would increase them to 280 HD (for a total of 1120).

HunterOfJello
2012-10-22, 06:03 AM
Well, the Black Blade can summon creatures and is empowered by killing creatures. The relaxation days for these PCs will likely include summoning dead creatures, killing them, and then empowering the sword. (This could use a caveat.)

The PCs are also likely to go and get an item with Animate Dead At-Will. That way they can kill an enemy, animate it inside the Desecration area for +2 HD, and then kill it again.

Does something have to be living in order to be "slayed"?

It's also worth noting that the PCs have a very good reason to now go on constant rampages massacring everyone they meet. For that reason alone, the blade should be a legendary item that scholars have heard of before. It would be extremely effective in the hands of any powerful necromancer and could easily be used to conquer kingdoms.

~

I'll have to think hard about the second item. However, it should be given a fun (or perhaps secret) caveat about summoning elementals from opposite types. Something about how if both water and fire elementals or air and earth elementals are summoned from two of the gems at once, then the bearer loses control of all of the elementals and they each exclusively fight their opposite element elementals until one side is destroyed.

Threadnaught
2012-10-22, 06:26 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that since the description of the sword mentions using an enemy's life force, the enemy is required to be alive if the sword is to gain a powerup by slaying it. The echo, is just that, an echo, an imitation of life.

As for the whole deal with the Gems, since the allotment of Elementals you can summon counts each Gem separately. That Spirit Shaman should be 35 per Gem, 10 Gems would theoretically give 350HD of Elementals, not 17920HD.
Isn't there a rule that states two doublings as a tripling and so on, somewhere?

PersonMan
2012-10-22, 07:33 AM
Isn't there a rule that states two doublings as a tripling and so on, somewhere?

Yep. In DnD, "x2" is shorthand for "+100% (of original)".

Sith_Happens
2012-10-22, 09:02 AM
Obviously, the first thing you do is become undead or take Tomb-Tainted Soul so that wielding the Black Blade heals you instead of killing you.

Anyways, on their own neither of those artifacts are particularly game-breaking. Together, on the other hand... Well, let's just say that the Gems give you a lot of easy HD to kill with the Blade. If your players decide they want to start building an undead army, their HD limit on controlled undead is basically arbitrarily high.

Drakevarg
2012-10-22, 11:06 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that since the description of the sword mentions using an enemy's life force, the enemy is required to be alive if the sword is to gain a powerup by slaying it. The echo, is just that, an echo, an imitation of life.

This is correct. Undead and (as explained below) elementals are not valid targets for increasing the sword's power.

As for the whole deal with the Gems, since the allotment of Elementals you can summon counts each Gem separately. That Spirit Shaman should be 35 per Gem, 10 Gems would theoretically give 350HD of Elementals, not 17920HD.

Not sure what the normal ruling is, but for a hypothetical caster with a 35 HD allotment normally:

1 Gem: 35 HD
2 Gems: 70 HD each. (35 x2)
3 Gems: 140 HD each. (70 x2)
4 Gems: 280 HD each. (140 x2)

The base value being doubled is whatever the value previous to it was, in this case. So expanding from the first gem it's x2/x4/x8, not x2/x3/x4.

Obviously, the first thing you do is become undead or take Tomb-Tainted Soul so that wielding the Black Blade heals you instead of killing you.

Being undead or having Tomb-Tainted Soul was pretty much immediately acknowledged as a requirement for handling the thing, yes.

Anyways, on their own neither of those artifacts are particularly game-breaking. Together, on the other hand... Well, let's just say that the Gems give you a lot of easy HD to kill with the Blade. If your players decide they want to start building an undead army, their HD limit on controlled undead is basically arbitrarily high.

This part is thankfully contained by the mechanics of the setting. Just as you can't gain more "shadows" by slaying the dead (no life-force to absorb), Elementals are regarded as being soulless in the setting (or more accurately, Elementals are just projections of their respective Elemental Plane as a whole). For the same reason, negative/positive energy is useless on elementals - earth elementals aren't any more alive than the rocks that compose them.

VGLordR2
2012-10-22, 11:30 AM
The Black Blade seems like a Dread Necromancer's dream. A mule only costs 8 gp, and has three hit dice. If a Dread Necromancer kills a mule, that's an additional 12 HD of Undead to control. For just 1,000 gold pieces' worth of mules, this Dread Necromancer would be able to control 1,500 additional hit dice of Undead. That is a massive increase for such a tiny investment.

Drakevarg
2012-10-22, 11:41 AM
The Black Blade seems like a Dread Necromancer's dream. A mule only costs 8 gp, and has three hit dice. If a Dread Necromancer kills a mule, that's an additional 12 HD of Undead to control. For just 1,000 gold pieces' worth of mules, this Dread Necromancer would be able to control 1,500 additional hit dice of Undead. That is a massive increase for such a tiny investment.

Finding 125 mules to ritualistically slaughter might be slightly difficult, but yes. Now you're thinking with Artifacts of Doom! :D

VGLordR2
2012-10-22, 11:43 AM
Finding 125 mules to ritualistically slaughter might be slightly difficult, but yes. Now you're thinking with Artifacts of Doom! :D

And I don't even want to know what will happen with the Chicken Infested Flaw...

Drakevarg
2012-10-22, 11:49 AM
And I don't even want to know what will happen with the Chicken Infested Flaw...

Good thing I don't use flaws, then.

On a related thought, the Black Blade is going to originally be in the hands of a Level 13-20 Lich (scaling with the PCs). What do you think would be a good baseline HD count be for the sword while it's in his posession?

Zubrowka74
2012-10-22, 11:52 AM
Two things. First you list the black blade as true neutral ? A bit off-flavor if it is, sounds like you meant NE. Second, artifacts need adverse effects. The negative energy, sure but being undead is an easy workaround. Since I hail from AD&D /2e I'm used to artifacts having huge drawbacks.

Drakevarg
2012-10-22, 11:57 AM
Two things. First you list the black blade as true neutral ? A bit off-flavor if it is, sounds like you meant NE. Second, artifacts need adverse effects. The negative energy, sure but being undead is an easy workaround. Since I hail from AD&D /2e I'm used to artifacts having huge drawbacks.

Death and negative energy are considered neutral in my setting, being completely natural parts of the cycle of souls. I've never liked the idea of inherently evil undead, so that's why.

I suppose I should kick around the idea of drawbacks, though the main drawback of the Black Blade is that it's intelligent and you're stuffing all that power into IT, not yourself.

(And it just occurred to me that it's ego should be 35, since I recently increased its enhancement bonus to qualify as an epic weapon.)

pffh
2012-10-22, 11:58 AM

Sheep only cost 2 gold a piece and should be worth a HD or two and those come in massive flocks.

Drakevarg
2012-10-22, 12:01 PM
Sheep only cost 2 gold a piece and should be worth a HD or two and those come in massive flocks.

Good point, though by "slightly difficult" I meant more "mildly inconvenient" than "DM says no." :smalltongue:

Shinovar
2012-10-22, 03:06 PM
Just change it to sentient life (Int 3+) so you don't have to deal with them just killing farm animals all day. There are still ways to abuse this, but that should cut off a lot of the easiest ways.

Spuddles
2012-10-22, 03:23 PM
Just change it to sentient life (Int 3+) so you don't have to deal with them just killing farm animals all day. There are still ways to abuse this, but that should cut off a lot of the easiest ways.

That's a good idea, seeing as DM fiat the other way just doesn't make sense and is dumb:
"sorry, but there is a mule shortage in this town."
"yeah it's crazy, you can't find cheap livestock anywhere, despite being able to teleport to any town you want without error anywhere in the multiverse."
"hmm, yeah I guess there just aren't that many domesticated animals in this setting."
"no, there aren't any herd animals either, they don't exist"
"I don't care what your handle animal check is- you just can't get rabbits to breed in captivity. I mean a fox ate them all."