PDA

View Full Version : (PF) The playground's favorite class

Thattaman
2012-10-22, 10:37 AM
Hello, playground! I've been into Pathfinder for about a year or two, I have CRB, APG and UM but I do know of the Gunslinger class. I was just wondering what classes people preffer. You don't have to give an reason, but I would prefer one. I just wonder what you all like to play as. My favorites are Arcane casters and Charisma characters so, natturally I like Sorcerers the most. My favorite bloodline is Draconic, mainly because YOU BECOME A DRAGON! But what does everyone else think. I also like Summoners and Bards quite a lot and I'm a fan of the Oracle and Gunslingers are cool purely because THEY HAVE GUNS! Some classes I don't really like are Inquisitor, Cavalier and Barbarian because they are just slight variations of other classes with the former two and the latter is just RAGE! But what do you think?

RFLS
2012-10-22, 10:41 AM
Hello, playground! I've been into Pathfinder for about a year or two, I have CRB, APG and UM but I do know of the Gunslinger class. I was just wondering what classes people preffer. You don't have to give an reason, but I would prefer one. I just wonder what you all like to play as. My favorites are Arcane casters and Charisma characters so, natturally I like Sorcerers the most. My favorite bloodline is Draconic, mainly because YOU BECOME A DRAGON! But what does everyone else think. I also like Summoners and Bards quite a lot and I'm a fan of the Oracle and Gunslingers are cool purely because THEY HAVE GUNS! Some classes I don't really like are Inquisitor, Cavalier and Barbarian because they are just slight variations of other classes with the former two and the latter is just RAGE! But what do you think?

So....yeah. Uhm. You're going to get dozens of responses with no real outcome; I don't understand why you asked this.

For instance, I personally enjoy controller melee types and blasty wizards (sue me). You'll find other people here that hate those. It's a hodgepodge and there's definitely no clear preference amongst the playground, unless I'm crazy and have missed something.

Thattaman
2012-10-22, 10:46 AM
I asked this because I'm just generally interested in waht people enjoy playing because I could be influenced to play differently. This is mainly just a discussion thread, and not really me asking which is the best class.

Deathkeeper
2012-10-22, 10:53 AM
I go for Arcane Sorcs because I love familiars but hate preparing spells, but I'm also partial to Summoners. And Dragon Disciples.

RFLS
2012-10-22, 10:56 AM
I asked this because I'm just generally interested in waht people enjoy playing because I could be influenced to play differently. This is mainly just a discussion thread, and not really me asking which is the best class.

Ah. Mmkay. Swordsage, if we're talking 3.P instead of straight up Pathfinder. Otherwise, probably a Dual Cursed Oracle.

Eldariel
2012-10-22, 11:02 AM
Wizards, as Conjurers, Illusionists, Diviners or Universalists (with the appropriate foci). Interesting abilities, room for smart play to make a mechanical difference in encounters too, etc. Oh, and I only need d20 (well, occasionally d8 for crossbow).

Thattaman
2012-10-22, 11:09 AM
So far we seem to have a particular liking to spell-caster, especially wizards and Sorcerers.

papr_weezl8472
2012-10-22, 11:29 AM
Kineticist psion. Blasting might not be the most optimal caster role, but it sure is fun.

Axier
2012-10-22, 12:07 PM
Alchemist...

You can build it to do EVERYTHING.

Novawurmson
2012-10-22, 02:01 PM
I like to have options. If I'm playing an Alchemist, I want to put my Int to good use on skills, throw bombs, and mix potions for the group. If I'm a cleric, I want to get into melee, throw some offensive spells around, and heal. If I'm a Fighter, I'm taking the Lore Warden archetype to deal damage, crowd control, and still have some skill points on the side.

I also love the DSP Psionics - the Soulknife is actually a viable class (especially with all the archetypes in Psionics Expanded), the Psychic Warrior can do just about any kind of fighting with the right paths, the Cryptic is a tier-3 "Rogue," the Aegis is a flexible frontline fighter, etc.

I think one of the reasons you're going to see a lot of love for spellcasters is that, by and large, the playground is made up of experienced players; the longer you play 3.5/PF, the more you expect out of your characters and the more you want ways to interact with the world your character lives in.

Eldariel
2012-10-22, 02:07 PM
I think one of the reasons you're going to see a lot of love for spellcasters is that, by and large, the playground is made up of experienced players; the longer you play 3.5/PF, the more you expect out of your characters and the more you want ways to interact with the world your character lives in.

And some people just like magic. I know if I want to make a fantasy character I'll always prefer a magician to a swordsman (didn't use to be this way but eh, then I stopped always rooting for the underdog).

GoodbyeSoberDay
2012-10-22, 03:36 PM
Though I haven't had the opportunity to play one, a 3.PF paladin looks pretty interesting. Solid PF chassis + Spell Compendium + Wand Chambers = fun times.

In pure Pathfinder I kinda want to try out a Sorcerer with Paragon Surge and play it like Adam West's utility belt. "Oh, shark attack? Let me get out my... bat-shark-repellent!"

grarrrg
2012-10-22, 04:11 PM
Whatever classes combine to make the most ridiculous build possible...

Some classes I don't really like are Inquisitor, Cavalier and Barbarian because they are just slight variations of other classes with the former two and the latter is just RAGE! But what do you think?

I like flexibility, Inquisitor actually quite high on my list.
It's more martial than the Cleric, it's Judgments can be changed on the fly to suit the situation, and it also gives NOT-Lawful Good a decent "HOLYMAN SMASH!" option. Judgment+Bane=Sweet.

Blyte
2012-10-22, 07:25 PM
what grarrrg said. i multi-class often.

overrun barbarian-martial artist-brawler was fun.

NamelessNPC
2012-10-22, 11:01 PM
I like classes with 3/4 BAB and that need/want a high mental stat. I've played so far an alchemist, rogue, wilder, death mage (3rd Party) and in my current gestalt game one side is cleric (the other is fighter/hellknight, btw)

White_Drake
2012-10-22, 11:57 PM
I love vivisectionist alchemists, especially when it comes to fluff and back story. If you know even just a little about the subject, up until very recently, anatomists were held in very poor regard (maybe the grave-robbing turned people off), and I like the idea of a fairly nice guy (I actually play what would be better entitled dissectionists ) outcast from society because of his intellectual pursuits.

mcv
2012-10-23, 12:57 AM
I love skill monkeys, flexibility, and characters that aren't really defined by their class, so I often end up with rogues. I like bards too, but my friends hate them. I have a weak spot for halfling barbarians.

RndmNumGen
2012-10-23, 01:00 AM
My favorite class is probably the Inquisitor; I just love how adaptable it is. As an Inquisitor I have never been in a situation where I have said "Man, I wish I was an X right now", whereas I have said that several times playing other classes.

I also like the Cavalier, Summoner, Oracle and Cleric classes quite a bit. I really want to like the barbarian, but they don't get enough rage powers to really 'make it' in my list.

Khosan
2012-10-23, 01:05 AM
I'm predisposed towards gish types. So Magus, Eldritch Knight, stuff like that.

I like having options with reliable fall-backs just in case.

Wise Green Bean
2012-10-23, 03:06 AM
My pathfinder love list primarily comes from what I can't get simply(if I know one thing, it's that you can always find a way in 3.5, but really, too much effort) from regular 3.5.

A paladin who is actually good without moving heavan and earth is nice. Actually tempts me to play one and think of interesting ways to not be lawful dickwad. And no bloody horse.

Sorcerer bloodlines, oh my god, sorcercer bloodlines, you guys, sorcerer bloodlines. Big fondness for fey and ifrit wish archetype.

Gunslinger, of course. Grit rivals inspiration for favorite class mechanic.

Honorable mentions to the witch, but honestly, you can get the same basic thing from a wizard without much effort.

Axier
2012-10-23, 08:03 AM
I love vivisectionist alchemists, especially when it comes to fluff and back story. If you know even just a little about the subject, up until very recently, anatomists were held in very poor regard (maybe the grave-robbing turned people off), and I like the idea of a fairly nice guy (I actually play what would be better entitled dissectionists ) outcast from society because of his intellectual pursuits.

This, but combined with the chirurgeon and internal alchemist archetype. Someone whos intellectual persuits gave him a greater understanding of anatomy, of themselves and others, who has done some dark stuff to better the lives of everyone he can through curitave techniques.

Although, as I remember, the Internal Alchemist/Vivisecitonist combination is iffy, because one of its abilities adds to an ability you don't get when you take vivisectionist. It is, however, really easy to ignore, as it does not replace the same thing, only modifies something IF you have it.

Psyren
2012-10-23, 09:13 AM
I love the idea of the alchemist but haven't gotten around to playing one.

Psionics aside, I guess Witch is probably my favorite, since you always have something cool to do in combat no matter how many fights you have that day. They make great controllers and debuffers, decent summoners too thanks to hexes like Ward and Fortune, and I love casters that can use their move action for things other than moving.

What I enjoy most though is that they're a prepared caster with an unlimited-size spellbook. Sure your spellbook can be killed, but this is usually easy to prevent, and a DM tenacious enough to really go after it is probably the sort that sunders spellbooks anyway.

RFLS
2012-10-23, 09:16 AM
Ooh, completely forgot psionics. Soulknife. Hands down. Always loved the class in 3.5, but it was absolutely terrible.

Blisstake
2012-10-23, 01:21 PM
I can't pick a favorite unfortunately. The top spots are reserved for the Sorcerer, Monk, and Magus, but I love pretty much every class except the Summoner and Alchemist.

The Redwolf
2012-10-23, 05:36 PM
For me personally, even though everyone else hates them I love monks, partially because of the buffs Pathfinder gave them, but also because with the archetypes you can make some awesomely flavored monks. Aside from that it'd probably be gunslingers, even though I haven't been able to play one yet, just because I'm a gun nut in reality, and summoners because they're so cool and you can make them be so many different things.