PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a 16th level ogre in a horror campaign?

lerg2
2012-10-22, 11:57 AM
My dungeon master is doing a one-shot horror campaign around Halloween. I have a different character made, but everyone needs a back-up. I've decided on an Ogre (+2 LA) which means my 18th level character is level 16. Optimization combat builds, playground?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-22, 12:02 PM
Are you taking into account the 4 RHD ogres have?

If you haven't, read Ur-priest's Monstrous Monster Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207928), it explains everything you need to know about playing monster characters.

Having said that I suggest a melee monster, the high strength and con leads me to think that a charge-based build is the best option; but a tripper can be pretty nasty too.

Pilo
2012-10-22, 12:07 PM
As you don't have a penality in Wisdom, i think Crusader/Ur-Priest/RKV my worth the try.

limejuicepowder
2012-10-22, 12:16 PM
Ogre's strength is awesome and all, but their real advantage is reach. After all, strength only adds a relatively small amount of additional damage, which by level 10 or so is just going to be overkill anyways.

Reach is definitely the way to go.

Two basic strategies are tripping or bullrushing. In either case, ramp up your reach as much as possible and go to town.

Basic tripping build is imp trip, stand still, and combat reflexes. 4 level dip in to knight can be worth it for the ability I don't remember the name of that makes your threat area difficult terrain, and crusader after that is strong for the 3rd level stance that prevents 5 ft steps, plus maneuvers. While this build can do hefty damage, it is more defensive and control oriented.

The bullrushing build uses the knockback feat in conjunction with dungeoncrasher ACF to send anyone and everyone flying - this will do a LOT of damage, and disrupt enemy formations like a boss. Since shock trooper is great to have with imp bullrush, this is basically a subtype of a ubercharger.

lerg2
2012-10-22, 12:19 PM
I did not, and as I'm seeing this guide for the first time, I should read it before I go any deeper into this. So correction, 14th level Ogre.

docnessuno
2012-10-22, 12:25 PM
I did not, and as I'm seeing this guide for the first time, I should read it before I go any deeper into this. So correction, 14th level Ogre.

Your math is still off:
2 LA + 4 RHD + 12 Class levels = 18

lerg2
2012-10-22, 12:27 PM
Thank you, I never realized that about Hit dice and LA stacking. I'm glad my DM didn't realize that earlier, but now I feel terrible.

lerg2
2012-10-22, 01:19 PM
I'm done building, and as a 4 Knight/8 Fighter I'm looking for an AC boost.

Psyren
2012-10-22, 02:45 PM
What's the rest of the party doing? "I hit things really hard!" is a fine strategy early on but doesn't really cut it against level 18 threats. Though since it's a horror campaign, I can't tell if being weaker overall than the monsters is the goal or not.

Spuddles
2012-10-22, 03:29 PM
What's the rest of the party doing? "I hit things really hard!" is a fine strategy early on but doesn't really cut it against level 18 threats. Though since it's a horror campaign, I can't tell if being weaker overall than the monsters is the goal or not.

I think that sort of attitude in a horror campaign- hit at it- might be a little counter productive. However, level 18 is so far into the realm of magical superheroes, perhaps being an underoptimized mundane will help preserve the feeling of "oh dear god are those eye rays".

hex0
2012-10-22, 06:19 PM
I think I'd rather play a Troll myself at that level. You can do a good chain tripper build with an ogre, but you can also do that with Half-Ogre. You can be a charger, but I'd probably be a Minotaur instead.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-22, 06:35 PM
Use Half-Ogre in Races of Destiny, they get a +2 LA with no racial HD.

Go Fighter 6/ War Hulk (MHB) 10, with the Dungeoncrasher ACF for Fighter from Dungeonscape. Take EWP: Kusari-Gama (DMG p144-145), Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Knock-Back (RoS), and Two-Weapon Fighting. Wear Gloves of the Balanced Hand (MIC) with a +6 Enhancement bonus to Strength added (MIC p234), Armbands of Might (MIC), and get two +1 Wrathful Healing Kusari-Gamas. Wrathful Healing is from Enemies and Allies, it costs a +3, and you're healed for half of the total of any damage you deal with it.

Always Power Attack for -2, which doesn't give you any bonus damage due to them being light weapons but it does give you +2 to Bull Rush and allows you to use Knock-Back. Your Armbands of Might and considerable Strength score will further increase your Bull Rush checks. You can hit every opponent within reach with every attack, so sweep everyone into a corner and use Knock-Back to Dungeoncrash them against the wall. If one tries to get out you'll get to hit everyone with the AoO and Dungeoncrash them all again. Every hit you're being healed for half the damage you deal.

If you can afford a high enough Int score, and if you can take at least one flaw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm), pick up Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, and Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown). When you make an attack, you hit every opponent in reach. You get to Knock-Back each opponent hit with that attack. You get to trip each opponent hit with that attack. Each time you successfully trip an opponent, you get another attack from Improved Trip. That extra attack also hits every opponent in reach, it also lets you Knock-Back, and it also lets you try to trip anyone who's not already prone. You get four attacks each round (two main hand, two offhand), plus one attack per opponent tripped, each of which hits every opponent in reach and knocks them into the wall. You can sweep everything into a corner and dungeoncrash them against the wall multiple times. If anyone tries to get up, your AoO dungeoncrashes everyone again. If they try to move out of the pile your AoO trips them and gives you another attack, both of which dungeoncrash everyone again.