PDA

View Full Version : A Goliath. Version 2.0. Cleric/Church Inquisitor/Radiant Servant

killem2
2012-10-22, 01:32 PM
OLD BUILDHaving trouble deciding on feat choices for my cleric past level 1.

You saw in another thread that I was thinking of going for an anthromorphic bat, but after some consideration, and the miniatures I had bought for both that bat and my goliath, I have decided to go with goliath.

I have level 1 already mapped out.

Level 1 cleric, goliath, war domain and competition domain (I want divine power and righteous might)
I also picked extra turning, and law/travel devotion feats. My deity is Hextor.

Level 2 - Since my goal is to be able to use a greatsword along side an animated tower shield, I am dipping 1 level into crusader.

Level 3 and 4 will be cleric

Level 5-9 is ordained champion

10-11 is divine oracle

12-20 is cleric.

With ordained champion I am going to trade in my competition domain power and whatever other domain I get for fighter feats.

I want to be a melee character. Part of the fun I am going to have with this character also stems form the fact I had two characters and now because of extra people joining I don't need to run two. I even have a Stone Giant miniature that I altered to look like it has a huge greatsword (pictures to come soon after paint is done) and I want to be able to use this large sized miniature when I cast Righteous Might :).

My issues are I don't know what to really choose for my bonus fighter feats, nor what feats I should look for when it comes to cleric. I like the idea of extended spells and perhaps even persisted ones.

From what I understand the ordained champion is a really great prestige class if you like melee clerics so I'm basically covered for classes for level 1-9 but the rest is a bit fuzzy.

The above is null and void. After learning how domain spells actually work I don't need to bother with ordained champion and all that stuff, it just isn't going to be that cool for me.

So after talking with my DM he will allow one of my first choices, and that was to adapt Radiant Servant of Pelor to Radiant Servant of Taiia, and I'll be going

Stats after Racials: Str 22, Dex 10, Con 17, Wis 18, Int 10, Cha 16

Cleric 1
Cleric 2
Cleric 3
Church Inquisitor 4
Church Inquisitor 5
Church Inquisitor 6
Radiant Servant of Taiia 7
Radiant Servant of Taiia 8
Radiant Servant of Taiia 9
Radiant Servant of Taiia 10
Radiant Servant of Taiia 11
Radiant Servant of Taiia 12
Radiant Servant of Taiia 13
Radiant Servant of Taiia 14
Radiant Servant of Taiia 15
Radiant Servant of Taiia 16

Last 4 levels, I assume maybe cleric or something else, but since I am not going to have Righteous Might or Divine Power as early as I thought I could the appeal has been lost. I am still going Goliath though. (I added my miniatures at the bottom as well :) ) Feel free to add what you think would be best. I know a lot of people will scour at the thought of going to 10 on the radiant, but I don't mind healing at all, while smashing some face and buffing too!

Telonius
2012-10-22, 07:05 PM
One thing you might want to look into - Warblade instead of Crusader. Check with your DM whether or not you can use Weapon Aptitude to switch Weapon Focus (Flail) to Weapon Focus (Greatsword). Technically, doing that would probably disqualify you from Ordained Champion, but losing prereqs for prestige classes is a notoriously-murky area of the rules. You might get a lucky houserule. (Personally I'd allow it, if it made sense for the character).

For the Fighter bonus feats, I'd suggest: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, or Shock Trooper, whichever of those you don't have at that point.

For Cleric casting, there's the usual Divine Metamagic stuff (maybe more Extra Turning, DMM, Extend Spell, Persist Spell).

I'd also suggest thinking about some other Prestige Classes from 12-20. While Cleric is great, it sounds like you're more about melee than about casting. A Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) of Tyranny (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofTyrannyClassF eatures) - while it would need a small amount of houseruling - would certainly be thematic.

eggs
2012-10-22, 07:19 PM
Level 1 cleric, goliath, war domain and competition domain (I want divine power and righteous might)
Are any rules in place that would make you pick a domain to get those spells?

With the Crusader level and a presumably high strength, I'd be tempted to work in some Ruby Knight Vindicator instead of OC 4-5. Especially if you're going a Persist route (which would rule out the major advantage of OC 4).

For feats, if you're persisting, Extend/Persist/DMM: Persist are basically locked choices, and after that, two-handed fighting feat lines are probably the most appropriate (Power Attack->Shock Trooper/Combat Brute/Leap Attack/Three Mountains/Knockback/maybe cleave), possibly dabbling in AoO feats if you have the Dex (Combat Reflexes->Robilar's Gambit/Defensive Sweep). And it sounds like you'll be burning though huge stacks of Nightsticks between two Devotions, Ordained Champion and DMM: Persist, so Craft Rod is probably a good idea ASAP, just to minimize DM-reliance.

killem2
2012-10-22, 10:44 PM
Are any rules in place that would make you pick a domain to get those spells?

Not sure what you are mean. I just wanted to have access to divine power and righteous might as soon as I could.

eggs
2012-10-22, 11:04 PM
Not sure what you are mean. I just wanted to have access to divine power and righteous might as soon as I could.
I mean that those spells are available to all Clerics at the same level. Are there any nonstandard rules that would make the domains access those spells earlier?

killem2
2012-10-23, 09:26 AM
I mean that those spells are available to all Clerics at the same level. Are there any nonstandard rules that would make the domains access those spells earlier?

I think I may be mis understanding how domains work vs normal leveled spells.

I thought the domain spells give you access to those spells regardless of what the spell progression says in the PHB. The way I was reading it was:

Divine Power is a 4th level cleric spell, and according to the progression I can't get a prepared slot for that until level 6, and level 9 for Righteous Might.

Am I incorrect on that? If I don't have to take a crappy domain then I won't LOL.

Telonius
2012-10-23, 09:39 AM
I think you're misreading the progression. You technically know all of the spells on the Cleric list, but you can't cast them if you don't have anything in the "spells per day" column.

You first get the ability to cast level 4 Cleric spells (either regular spells or domain spells) at Cleric7. In the class progression you've listed, that will happen when you reach level 10 (Cleric3/Crusader1/OrdainedChampion5/Divine Oracle1). Cleric gives you 3 levels of casting, Ordained Champion gives you 3 levels of casting, Divine Oracle gives you 1 level of casting.

EDIT: Domain spells just allow you to prepare a single extra spell per level; that spell has to be from one of the Domains you have access to. Some domain spells are on the Cleric's list normally (the Cure line, Divine Power, etc), but some are not (Nondetection from the Trickery list, for example). If the domain spell is only on your Domain list and not on the Cleric list, you can normally only prepare it once a day, in your Domain slot. (There are feats to get around this, but that's the usual rule). If it's on both your Cleric and Domain list, you can use however many of your slots you like to prepare it.

EDIT2: I think you might also be getting confused by the "Continued Advancement" section of Ordained Champion. "Level-dependent Domain Granted Powers" doesn't mean spells granted by domain. It means things like the Death Domain's granted power (+1d6 per Cleric Level) or the Destruction Domain's granted power (+Cleric Level to smite damage).

killem2
2012-10-23, 09:54 AM
I think you're misreading the progression. You technically know all of the spells on the Cleric list, but you can't cast them if you don't have anything in the "spells per day" column.

You first get the ability to cast level 4 Cleric spells (either regular spells or domain spells) at Cleric7. In the class progression you've listed, that will happen when you reach level 10 (Cleric3/Crusader1/OrdainedChampion5/Divine Oracle1). Cleric gives you 3 levels of casting, Ordained Champion gives you 3 levels of casting, Divine Oracle gives you 1 level of casting.

EDIT: Domain spells just allow you to prepare a single extra spell per level; that spell has to be from one of the Domains you have access to. Some domain spells are on the Cleric's list normally (the Cure line, Divine Power, etc), but some are not (Nondetection from the Trickery list, for example). If the domain spell is only on your Domain list and not on the Cleric list, you can normally only prepare it once a day, in your Domain slot. (There are feats to get around this, but that's the usual rule). If it's on both your Cleric and Domain list, you can use however many of your slots you like to prepare it.

So basically regardless of the domain I can't access divine power until level 7 and righteous might by level 9?

Telonius
2012-10-23, 09:58 AM
Right. (Adding text so the forum will let me post).

danzibr
2012-10-23, 10:03 AM
Ahh finding out disappointing things. I made a threat whose title was something like, "Crushing Disappointments."

Still, the LE Goliath Cleric is an awesome idea. I might throw it in with my BBEG in a certain campaign.

killem2
2012-10-23, 10:15 AM
He's going to be LN :) But he only worshipped hextor because of how I thought the domain worked.

killem2
2012-10-23, 07:58 PM
Updated OP with new build, updated title, and here is my altered mini I am going to use for when I do cast Righteous Might :)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5300_zps8a5b21ff.jpg (http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5300_zpse449752e.jpg)http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5304_zps1a939879.jpg (http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5304_zps57d51cc3.jpg)http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5303_zps869da77a.jpg (http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5303_zpsc86099f2.jpg)http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5302_zps469d2f0e.jpg (http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5302_zps0c547943.jpg)http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5301_zps5891a58e.jpg (http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/IMG_5301_zps04b09c50.jpg)

Keld Denar
2012-10-23, 09:01 PM
RSoP is kinda dead after 5. 6 is a little bit of step back from Empower, which is actually a little better for cure spells, and you don't get it back until 10. Consider Sacred Exorcist as an alternative to RSoP past 5.

killem2
2012-10-23, 09:52 PM
Where can I find that PrC?

NM found it, just a few more pages down lol. I have to say the 3.0 version seems to be better though with all those extra turning feats to abuse and fuel devotion shenanigans. lol

Keld Denar
2012-10-23, 10:04 PM
Complete Divine. I think it's the page immediately after Radiant Servant ends, right before Sacred Fist.

Yea, I just think that RSoP is pretty much dead after 5. 6, as I said, it a bit of a nerf, especially for Mass Cure Light, due to how the +1/CL gets multiplied with Empower. It doesn't catch back up until like, Mass Cure Critical. 7, 8, and 9 are dead, and 10 just gives you back what you lost at 6, with a little extra. SacEx gives you a few SLAs, the AMAZING permanent Consecrate aura, and still has 3/4 BAB and d8 HD and full turning progression.

JodoKirvanti
2013-12-05, 10:32 AM
I really like the larger Goliath mini. You wouldn't be interested in selling one of those, would you? :)