PDA

View Full Version : Some deities for my setting [3.5, Deites, PEACH, Constant WIP]

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-22, 02:34 PM
First off, let me say this: I do not own the Deities and Demigods splatbook. I do, however, own Complete Divine.

Scratch that, I have a copy now.

Altez
Demigod (Neutral)

Altez, The Demon-slayer, He-Who-Is-Trapped. These are all names for the greatest Gladiator ever to exist.

In his life, he was revered and known on our plane as the greatest warrior ever. His blade had cut down uncountable foes in the name of "entertainment", not all were humanoid, though. Great dragons, grotesque aberrations and hordes of undead were but cut through like mere paper.

His fame was so great, that even gods and lords of The Other (the generic name this setting's "hell", all evil outsiders are found here) devoted a small part of their attention to him. Lesser demons and celestials simply watched in awe and fear.

In the end, it was not a superior opponent, if one even exists is debatable, that killed Altez, but trickery. A jealous rival spirited a vial of poison into the Ludis, and poisoned Altez's meal. His death was immediate. But instead of sending his soul along to it's rightful place, the gods sent him to The Other.

But they didn't send him alone. Along side him they sent weapons and armour, and a message. "When all the demon lords fall, when oceans of blood wash away all, then you may rise. When there is nothing left but stone and bone, then you may rise. When your blade has tasted the flesh of uncountable demons, uncountable even by gods, then you may rise.

And when you rise, it will not be as a man. But a god."

The gods lied.

Never will all the demon lords fall, for there are many who replace those that do. Never will an ocean of blood wash everything away, for The Other is infinite. Never will stone and bone be all that remains, for horde is infinite. Only one thing is true; his blade will taste the flesh of uncountable demons. Uncountable even by gods.

Thusly, he will never rise. But he will be a god.

Portfolio: Gladiators, demon slaughter

Domains: None, nor does he grant spells

Cleric training: Altez has no clerics solely devoted to him, though Clerics and Paladins devoted to hunting down demons pay him reverence, as do many Gladiators.

Quests: As he is the only god who personally fights the uncountable horde, any demon hunting expedition is done so in his name.

Prayers: Many prayers from demon hunters are requests for guidance in slaughtering demons. Most of the time, however, are from Gladiators, asking for a small part of his strength in the upcoming games.

Temples: Altez has no formal temples as such, though every Ludis (Gladiator schools) has a small shrine to him. Demon hunters as well have a small shrine to him.

Rites: Many believe that gladiatorial games of any kind are the highest form of worship and respect to him.

Herald and Allies: In The Other Altez is his own herald, effectively. Everywhere else, however, he has no herald. He does not have any allies.

And now for Altez, Deities and Demigods style:

Altez
Gladiator 40
Medium Outsider (Native)
Divine rank: 2
Hit dice: 40d12+800 (1040)
Speed: 60ft
AC: ?? (+2 Dex, +2 Divine, +18 Suit of Champions, +20 Natural Armour, +7 deflection)

Yitzi
2012-10-23, 09:04 AM
I like the idea of Altez. Potentially a great plot hook.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-23, 10:02 AM
Thanks, I felt that there should be more gods who are around not because they're subjects of mass worship, but because they're so damned badass the other gods go "Holy crap dude, welcome to godhood. Please don't kick our collective arse."

sengmeng
2012-10-23, 12:15 PM
I really like your fluff, but the stats part might as well have said "Altez is a god in name only." He doesn't affect anything unless the player's go to the underworld and physically meet him. The story and concept are cool, but he doesn't need demigod status. He's more like the saint of gladiators at this point. Great plot hook though, as was said before.

Yitzi
2012-10-23, 04:19 PM
I really like your fluff, but the stats part might as well have said "Altez is a god in name only." He doesn't affect anything unless the player's go to the underworld and physically meet him. The story and concept are cool, but he doesn't need demigod status.

Demigod status is designed for those who really don't have any power beyond their own immediate location; I tend to think of it as something like Hercules (or Heracles if you prefer.) It's just that this one happens to be in the underworld rather than on the prime material plane.

sengmeng
2012-10-28, 02:14 PM
Demigod status is designed for those who really don't have any power beyond their own immediate location; I tend to think of it as something like Hercules (or Heracles if you prefer.) It's just that this one happens to be in the underworld rather than on the prime material plane.

Well, that makes sense. I guess I just was disappointed with how hard it would be to encounter him (although an underworld invasion campaign would be amazing).

Is there a mechanical difference between avatars and demigods?