PDA

View Full Version : OP Favored Soul

Xcalber
2012-10-22, 02:44 PM
I'm going to be making a Favored Soul in a new campaign and I can be as overpowered as I want. I can take advantage of any rule/feat in 3.0 or 3.5. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Novawurmson
2012-10-22, 02:48 PM
Make it a Cleric?

Noctis Vigil
2012-10-22, 03:12 PM
Make it a Cleric?

This.

But seriously, what are you trying to do with the build? Damage? Healer? Buff/debuffer? Minionmancer? Cleric can do all of these at the same time, but with Favored Soul you really need to pick a role for him to do, since he knows so few spells.

Also, are you allowed PrCs for this build, or does it have to be straight Favored Soul? How about homebrew?

Cranthis
2012-10-22, 03:36 PM
If you aren't going to make it a cleric, you can always go Favored soul/ Sorcerer/ Mystic Theurge

eggs
2012-10-22, 04:26 PM
Check out the build section here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1473.0).

With a few less shenanigans, something like Favored Soul 4/Church Inquisitor 2/Knight of the Raven X, using the Favored Soul's Dragon Magic ACF, a Divine Metamagic feat and shuffling the domain choice around with Substitute Domain to custom-tailor a list of known spells could make a very capable gish-type build.

In more general theory terms, there's a very good chance that you won't be able to afford all the stats needed to be both an offensive caster and a melee fighter; you'll probably have to pick one of those tracks and allocate stats Wis/Cha>Con>Everything else (for casting offensive) or Str/Cha>Con>Everything else (for melee offensive). If stats aren't good enough for either of those, you might have to settle for Cha>Con>Everything else and focus on mass-buffing and no-save control effects.

EDIT: Wrong link. Fixed.

Chambers
2012-10-22, 07:22 PM
Spontaneous Divine Casters. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm)

If one is making an OP Favored Soul then some method of getting Turn Undead for Divine Metamagic is needed, usually via some prestige class. The end result is a spontaneous divine caster with Turn Undead but the process to get there may be convoluted. The Spontaneous Cleric is easier. You get less spells per day than a Favored Soul but you have native Turn Undead.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-10-22, 07:36 PM
And once again the Favoured Soul lack of K:Religion makes things so much more complicated . :smallsigh:

Venusaur
2012-10-23, 05:50 AM
Actually, the favored soul gets Knowledge religion from this article. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x)

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-23, 07:17 AM
If you aren't going to make it a cleric, you can always go Favored soul/ Sorcerer/ Mystic Theurge

One of my favorite builds, that. Fantastic on-the-fly adaptability. Don't forget practiced spell caster for both Sorc and FS, though.

TypoNinja
2012-10-23, 04:14 PM
Versatile Spellcaster.

The wording of the feat is really permissive. It doesn't actually say it must be from the same class/spell list. If your DM agrees, its pretty much the best thing ever for a Thurge in my opinion.