PDA

View Full Version : "I will crush you!" (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-10-22, 03:34 PM
Pretty sure this needs some help to make it work as intended.

Circle of Gravity
Transmutation
Classes: Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Area: 30 foot radius
Duration: 10 min/level (see text)
Save: none
Spell Resistance: no

A circle of gravity subjects the local strength of gravity to the will of the caster.

After the spell is cast, the caster may control the strength of gravity (but not its direction) in a 30 foot radius emanating from the focus stone. For each round spent concentrating, the local gravity may be halved or doubled, up to a maximum of ten times normal gravity or a minimum equal to one-tenth normal gravity. (The caster can choose to multiply or divide local gravity by less than 2, and "normal gravity" means the natural local gravity at the stone's location.) Use the planar gravity rules as a guideline to determine the effects of this change.

Focus: A granite stone inscribed with gold runes worth at least 250 gold.

Yitzi
2012-10-23, 04:31 PM
Pretty sure this needs some help to make it work as intended.

Circle of Gravity
Transmutation
Duration: Concentration/10 min/level (see text)

You lay out the ring of carved stone runes in a circle. As the spell completes, power flares up inside the circle, bending the gravity within the circle as the caster wills.

The gravity within the circle is brought under the caster's control, and he may spend a round in concentration to reduce or increase gravity by 1x a round, from a minimum of 1/1028th normal gravity to a maximum of 10 times normal gravity (or in simpler terms, making things inside the circle anywhere from ten times lighter than normal to ten times heavier than normal).

Focus: Rune inscribed granite stones worth at least 250 gold.

Try this, not sure if that's quite what you want:

Circle of Gravity
Transmutation
Duration: 10 min/level (see text)

A circle of gravity subjects the local strength of gravity to the will of the caster.

After the spell is cast, the caster may control the strength of gravity (but not its direction) in the circle by concentrating on the spell as a standard action. For each round spent concentrating, the local gravity may be increased or decreased by a chosen amount no more than normal gravity, up to a maximum of ten times normal gravity or a minimum equal to one-tenth normal gravity. Use the planar gravity rules as a guideline to determine the effects of this change.

Focus: Rune inscribed granite stones worth at least 250 gold, which must be laid out to surround the area being affected. Removal or movement of the stones dispels the spell.

Noctis Vigil
2012-10-24, 03:52 PM
You, sir, are awesome. I will be using your wording instead of mine, with a couple minor changes. Thanks so much for your input! :smallbiggrin:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the spell?

Yitzi
2012-10-24, 10:38 PM
Firstly, the long casting time and the fact that it requires the circle of stones to be standing means that for offensive use it's dependent on an enemy that walks into the area you've prepared without realizing that the spell is in use. And even then, it just weakens gravity rather than reversing it, so enemies will have no trouble moving the stones afterward or simply walking out (well, unless you increase gravity until they can't move, but even then often it's just a question of dropping items).
For utility use it might have niche roles, though, and of course it's great against enemies who really don't want to be far more encumbered.

All in all, however, I'd say it's probably too weak. Allow the caster more control (I'd say a gravitational effect up to 10 times the normal amount in any direction he chooses), require the stones to be above the level of the circle (so no hiding them in a depression), and allow/require a spellcraft check DC 15 to tell what the stones are for, and it should be a good level-appropriate trap spell.

Also, as written it's a hemisphere. Is that what you wanted?

Finally, in keeping with the theme of the spell, I think it might be interesting to allow it to treat any surface as the "ground" "on" which the stones must be placed. i.e. you could put your circle stones on a wall and then it works just the same way.

Noctis Vigil
2012-10-25, 04:29 PM
Made a minor edit to the spell which totally changes the way it functions. How's it look now?

Yitzi
2012-10-25, 08:17 PM
So now it's portable. A bit powerful for my taste, but no more than many other spells at those levels.