PDA

View Full Version : [PF + 3.5]Keeping Up Appearances

Karoht
2012-10-22, 03:59 PM
So I'm playing a 12th level Sorcerer (Sage, Arcane Bloodline, Razmaran Priest) who likes to play mostly with Conjurations and Illusions. I'm a Human with the Half-Elf racial heritage feat, currently operating under the name Flibjib whenever I'm disguised as a Gnome, and Silverleaf Merrymac any time I am disguised as an Elf.
However, I've managed to fool my party into thinking I am a Dwarven Neutral Evil Cleric with no god named Argus. The goal is to keep the party (and anyone watching us via Scrying) guessing for as long as reasonably possible.

I plan next session on doing a small monologue about Truth and Trickery, how the best lies are 9/10ths truth, etc. If they ask why I can cast some Arcane spells as well as Divine (I'm using scrolls bound in a spellbook), I plan on telling them that I'm an Archievist.

So far my tactics have involved using Invisibility Greater, Silence, Overland Flight, Disguise Self, and a handful of Illusions to cause them to think I am performing action X (something Divine) when in reality I'm doing action Y (something Arcane). I also have Invisible Spell to cover most of my tracks.

My goal is to keep the Illusory Dwarf "Argus" identity going for as long as possible, especially among the party members. I refuse to let them see my character sheet, the DM knows this is one of my goals and that I am in fact doing so for the good of the party (I'll explain that later), so I will say right now that there isn't anything malicious going on. So far, deactivating Illusions has been handwaved away with "Argus" reverting back to invisible status.

Any suggestions on keeping my cover?
Also, there is a party member with some kind of item that lets her use See Invisibility (not True Seeing, thankfully). Nondetection is active as is Misdirection (belt and suspenders, but the character is very paranoid, buffs fall off/get dispelled and all that).
There is a Rogue in the party if it matters.
There is an Antipaladin.
There is a Summoner who's build seems very focused around the Eidolon.
There is an Orcish Barbarian with the Fiendish Template. I'm currently operating under the assumption that he has the Scent ability (I assume the same of the Eidolon). However I can just use Prestidigitate to create a fake scent profile day to day (so I smell like a Dwarf) and then apply Prestidigitate to smell like anything else if I need to really disappear for a while.

The plan is, always have some sort of con going. Kind of like the Penn and Teller Nail Gun Trick. Even when they fully explain the trick, there is still a trick going on (and not the one they explain, that is). The longer I can do that, the better.

Trickery Devotion. Worth it?

Acanous
2012-10-23, 05:28 PM
Really? Nobody gonna help this guy?

Alter Self could do it. Polymorph line if you can pick them up. Astral Projection from a Rope Trick to follow them about, although you're not going to be able to influence the material plane very easilly.

Planar Binding/Ally, to have another "You" that can follow them around. Telepathy to communicate.
Improved Familiar can help, too.

Arcanist
2012-10-23, 07:07 PM
Planar Binding/Ally, to have another "You" that can follow them around.

Planar Bind a Succubus and have it masquerade as you for when you really need to make a double appearance. Stuff her in your bag of holding for when you don't need her...

Karoht
2012-10-24, 09:12 AM
I had completely forgot about Alter Self (easily fixed). Cheap enough for a wand even.

Also, at some point, I am going to screw it up. I'm sure of it. And the monk has a pretty decent sense motive and perception. So I do plan on creating another identity in the event of a reveal.

True Seeing doesn't see through Polymorph effects does it?

Rejakor
2012-10-24, 09:18 AM
True Seeing does see through polymorph effects. It shows the 'real' form of the morphed person.

Disguise works against it, although not the spell Disguise Self- regular mundane disguise.

the Spymaster prestige class allows you to fool divinations by going deep into your 'role' heavy investment though

Basically the biggest thing that is going to give you away is spells - several of those people probably have spellcraft, so the skill trick from complete scoundrel that lets you make spells sound like other spells is probably ideal, and combing the spell lists to find spells on both lists/spells you can make look like other spells (Suggestion can be like Command, for example).

Karoht
2012-10-24, 10:53 AM
I plan on using multiple identities anyway. Any time I'm not with the party, I'll be using another identity. If my cover gets blown, I'll probably regress into yet another identity with a quick illusion to cover it a bit. Though if True Seeing is in play, then that disguise kit and disguise skill is going to be important in a hurry.
If True Seeing is in play, the jig is up really.

My stealth isn't that good. Even if it were better, I doubt it is going to beat the Monk and her high wisdom boosting her perception.

Planar Binding + Succubus sounds like a solid idea. I wonder if I can trick the party into thinking that I'm actually a Succubus for reals. Or something equally silly.

Rejakor
2012-10-24, 11:31 AM
Get the outsider (evil) type somehow and get levels in the Fiend of Possession class from Fiend Folio.

Then possess someone. You can still use your spells through them. And all their abilities. And you don't show up on ANY detection spells, ever, as a class ability.

instant victory.

Karoht
2012-10-24, 11:42 AM
Get the outsider (evil) type somehow and get levels in the Fiend of Possession class from Fiend Folio.

Then possess someone. You can still use your spells through them. And all their abilities. And you don't show up on ANY detection spells, ever, as a class ability.

instant victory.
Interesting. Might be a tactic for later. I keep forgetting that Magic Jar can also Possess someone. And getting a safe place to hold up isn't hard. Though I do have some reservations about playing via surrogate. In theory I could get Leadership to gain a cohort, and act via the posessed cohort.

Rejakor
2012-10-24, 11:45 AM
Magic Jar shows up, though. And someone can assassinate you.

4 levels in fiend of possession is painful, but you cannot EVER. HAVE. YOUR. PRESENCE. NOTICED. BY. MAGIC.!?!?!?!!!/1/1/1/1/1/1111111 your body is ethereal and safely esconsced in the target (meaning you can even planar travel and such - no worries), and you get all the target's abilities (find, and steal, a high level cleric - YOINK YOU CAN DO CLERIC THINGS NOW) and best of all you could even keep changing bodies to NPCs who are traveling with the party for whatever reason - the party wouldn't even know you are with them. PERFECT ANONYMITY.

Karoht
2012-10-24, 11:47 AM
In theory I can just possess the Monk giving me all this trouble.
I'm level 12 right now, so a few levels from now is a while away. I can probably hold out via trickery until then.

Perfect anonymity is pretty tempting.

Rejakor
2012-10-24, 12:09 PM
Since it's a magickish class, you could even argue with your DM for partial spell progression with it. Still have to be an Outsider (Evil) to get into it though.

At like level 2 you get the 'can't be noticed by magic at all while ethereal' thing, which is SWEEEEET, and you get the 'ethereal at will' thing, too.

Have yourself PaO'd twice into a succubus (or incubus) and then take the class (or do that ritual type-changing thingy from Savage Species). Fluff it was your character becoming obsessed with being truly unknowable and unfindable.