PDA

View Full Version : Help a Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition Noob build some characters!

Metahuman1
2012-10-22, 05:52 PM
Ok, so. I've got a Teen Titans game I've been watching on another website. Play by post of course. And as one of the readers, I'm one of the people who is gonna get first pick if one of the players drops out for what ever reason, as happens in Play by Post games.

Now, the system is Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition, or DC Adventures. Right now, the team is Arrowette (A green Arrow protegee), Ardent (A Project Camdis Clone of Martain Manhunter.), Indigo (Blue Devil's Illegitimate Daughter.), A Shadow manipulator who is not a legacy character and doesn't have a code name yet, Red Hood (A variant where old Jason is once more willing to obey the no killing rule and is semi-back with the bat family.), and Catwoman (Selena Kyles Protegee, who has a mystic Amulet helping augment her skills and ability's.)

The last member was initally another reader, but got in when a previous member, playing a new to the gig Robin, dropped out.

Game is set in a custom Alternate DCU, where some things are different but the overall feel is familiar. This was set up by the DM to make it easier for players to get there characters to break in. Games power level is 10, 150 PP.

Alright, now that the info dump is out of the way. I want to have some characters, plural, ready to go, if the game gives me a another dropped player and a chance to jump in. But sadly, my ability to use M&M any edition's character creation crunch is horrible.

So, I'm looking to get help figure out how I would stat out the following.

Terry MacGuinness: Yes, Batman Beyond. I want to stat him out as a Fairly new to the gig Robin. I still wanna keep as much of the core of the character as possible though. He seems like he'd be very focused on Stealth, Breaking and Entering, and two fisted melee, with ranged and use of disguises as secondary factors. Less of an intellectual though, unlike say Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon or Bruce himself.

Carrie Kelly: Yes, Dark Knight Returns: I'd actually like to do her as Batgirl for this game. Unlike Terry, she seems like she'd be much more focused on Ranged attacks, use of explosives, and Computer Hacking. And while I Imagen she'd have some melee, it's certainly not her focus. (Note: Let's pretend that Dark Knight Strikes Again didn't happen for her when doing this stat out.)

Lara: Dark Knight Strikes Again: Ok, this one's getting a bit of a personality/Origin Story rewrite form me for this game, for a number of reasons. And I realize that a Themiscara/Kryptonian Powerset is likely more then Power Level 10 is gonna work for. Just help me get as close as possible, and I can write off what ever hasn't come into play yet as "She's gonna get it later when she get's older."

Thanks to any and all help that can be provided.

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering why there's three characters up there.

First, they'd ALL be fun to play, for me at least. Second, the GM will like all the tie-ins to other DC Material both form the comics and the AU, and Third, this gives the GM a bit of a selection if I show him the initial player application that I had mostly completed when the game first started recruiting in a complete form (Which I already have I just didn't get it done in time and that was awhile ago.), plus three others. And the option to pick the one he feels will fit the story best will hopefully get him to take a hard look at me if the opportunity arises.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-10-22, 11:09 PM
The real question is "how much help do you need?" I mean, they seem like pretty straightforwards characters, all things considered. Two Crime Fighters and a Paragon. Do you want tips? Suggested powers? Someone to do all the work?

Anyway, here are some thoughts.

To get the Batman-style "look away and he's gone" effect, try the following: Teleport X (probably very low), Limited: must be able to move through intervening space, Quirk: not while under observation.
You can get quite a strong character by buying "power lifting" (enhanced strength, limited to lifting). See if the GM will let you put it in an array with either Flight (you fly slower while toting really heavy things) or as part of your Strength array*.
A cool shockwave-type power can be done with Affliction X (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fort; dazed and vulnerable, stunned and prone), Limited to Second Degree, Extra Condition, Limited to targets on the ground. Possibly also Instant Recovery.
You can make a snazzy knockback punch by linking Strength-Based Damage 0 to Move Object X (Close, Limited to pushing away).
Batman-types might have a "utility belt" array with different types of baterangs (damage, taser, homing, explosive, etc); smoke grenades (environmental), tear gas (cloud area affliction, daze and vulnerable, stun and defenseless), and so on.

*Erm... that was something suggested in the Strength power profile. Basically, the Strength ability has a build-in Damage power (punching people), and you can take alternate effects of just the damage. Actually, you might want to pick up both the Strength and Talent power profiles- they're quite good.

Hopeless
2012-10-22, 11:59 PM
Alright, now that the info dump is out of the way. I want to have some characters, plural, ready to go, if the game gives me a another dropped player and a chance to jump in. But sadly, my ability to use M&M any edition's character creation crunch is horrible.
So, I'm looking to get help figure out how I would stat out the following.

Terry MacGuinness: Yes, Batman Beyond. I want to stat him out as a Fairly new to the gig Robin. I still wanna keep as much of the core of the character as possible though. He seems like he'd be very focused on Stealth, Breaking and Entering, and two fisted melee, with ranged and use of disguises as secondary factors. Less of an intellectual though, unlike say Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon or Bruce himself.

Sounds like the Crimefighter from the gm toolkit, so select Dark Avenger both for Abilities and background advantages, I'd go Criminologist and Sleuth for Mental Advantages and quite possibly the thief for physical advantages although either of the other two could apply depending on your preference. I'd say Athlete and Avenger for skills but nothing says you can't go back and amend a couple of points to gains skills covered by the Investigator and Sneak skill packages.
Equipment is obviously Gadgets with the Flight Suit but that doesn't even cover the batplane, ace and so on...

Carrie Kelly: Yes, Dark Knight Returns: I'd actually like to do her as Batgirl for this game. Unlike Terry, she seems like she'd be much more focused on Ranged attacks, use of explosives, and Computer Hacking. And while I Imagen she'd have some melee, it's certainly not her focus. (Note: Let's pretend that Dark Knight Strikes Again didn't happen for her when doing this stat out.)

As above except she goes High Tech Gear.

Lara: Dark Knight Strikes Again: Ok, this one's getting a bit of a personality/Origin Story rewrite form me for this game, for a number of reasons. And I realize that a Themiscara/Kryptonian Powerset is likely more then Power Level 10 is gonna work for. Just help me get as close as possible, and I can write off what ever hasn't come into play yet as "She's gonna get it later when she get's older."

I'd go Warrior meets Powerhouse something like;

Str 7(5), Sta 6, Agl 4, Dex 2, Fgt 7, Int 1, Awe 1, Pre 2 = 56pts
Advantages:
All Out Attack, Evasion, Improved Defence, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Perception) and Takedown = 6pts
Skills:
Acrobatics (3) +7, Athletics (3) +8, Expertise: Tactics (4) +5, Insight (4) +5, Intimidation (3) +5, Perception (5) +6 and Persuasion (2) +4 = 11pts
Powers:
Heat Vision: Ranged Damage 6 (12pts)
*Super Breath: Close Range Cone Area Move Object 6, Limited to moving toward and away, Linked to Cone Area Damage 10, Unreliable (Only the damage is unreliable)= 1pt
*Freezing Snare: Cumulative Ranged Affliction 6 (Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenceless and Immobile), Extra Condition, Limited to two degress = 1pt
Physiology: Enhanced Awareness 1, Immunity 3 (Aging, Poison, Disease), Protection 2 = 7pts
Immunities: Immunity 10 (Life Support), Impervious Toughness 2= 12pts
Flight: Flight 4 (32mph?) = 8pts
*Superspeed: Speed 8 = 1pt
Quickness: Quickness 4= 4pts
Super Strength: Enhanced Strength 2, Power-lifting 4 (Str 11 or 50 tons) = 8pts
Super Senses: Senses 10 (Acute and Extended Hearing, Extended Vision, Infravision, Microscopic Vision, Ultra Hearing, Vision penetrates Concealment (except lead) = 10pts
Defences:
Dodge (4) +8, Parry (1) +8, Fortitude (2) +8, Toughness (0) +8 and Will (6) +7 = 13pts

Still needs work but its still an idea?

Metahuman1
2012-10-23, 08:39 AM
@Grod the Giant: The more the better actually. So far, I've built all of two characters for this system, and I had to have quite a bit of help on both. Character creation for this system seems, counter-intuitive for me sadly. Game play is wonderful, once I have the character built. It's getting the character build that's a problem.

@Hopeless: Ok, the stat out for Supergirl is wonderful. Leaves me a few points left over if my math is right to buy some fluff items, covers all the basics, and stays with in my PP limit. Now the only real question left is, she's Half Themiscarian, meaning some of her power comes form mom's side, so how much does she actually loose if someone puts red solar energy or Kryptonight to her?

As for Robin/Batgirl, that certainly gives me a starting point. I'm away form books right this second, but once I get a look see at them, I'll post what the suggested build seems to look like. Thanks!

Grod_The_Giant
2012-10-23, 02:25 PM
@Hopeless: Ok, the stat out for Supergirl is wonderful. Leaves me a few points left over if my math is right to buy some fluff items, covers all the basics, and stays with in my PP limit. Now the only real question left is, she's Half Themiscarian, meaning some of her power comes form mom's side, so how much does she actually loose if someone puts red solar energy or Kryptonight to her?

Half, plus all explicitly Kryptonian abilities like heat vision?

Personally, I'd stat Lara out with 12 Strength and Stamina, Flight 9 or so, power lifting 4 or 5, Immunity 5 (all environmental; suffocation at 1/2 effect), then buy defenses, skills, advantages, etc, and see how much is left over. Some Deflect might be good if she has her mom's bracers; Impervious Toughness from her dad. Close Cone Move Object (limited to Away) can be an alternate of Strength damage, probably. A little bit of heat vision, if the points are there. A few super-senses, maybe. Remember that post-crisis it took Superman a while to grow into his powers.

Metahuman1
2012-10-23, 03:37 PM
Ok, found the Crime fighter package easily enough, but I'm not seeing a lot of the other things you mentioned, Dark Avenger, Criminologist, Sleuth, ext. Can ya tell me were that stuff is found?

@Grod: I'm gonna be stating them out mostly in order listed, so I'm trying to do Robin and Batgirl first. But when I get to Lara, I will certainly keep that in mind.

Hopeless
2012-10-24, 02:37 PM
Had another look at both the gm toolkit and the dc adventures core book, hope this helps. as I replaced a skill package and reduced according to give him some of the skills I thought he should have.

There are 2pts spare on the equipment and am not sure how you count his mentor Bruce Wayne!

Might want to reduce Flight to add in Radio Communication and possibly a Feature of a Voice Modulator to disguise his voice.

Oh I forgot his Concealment should have the Activated flaw from what i recall from the series!

Batman IV
Terry McGinis
Abilities:
Strength 4 (3), Stamina 4, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 7, Intelligence 3, Awareness 3, Presence 3 = 66pts

Advantages:
Assessment, Close Attack 2, Daze(Intimidation), Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 23 (Headquarters, Batsuit & Batjet), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Jack of all Trades, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Skill Mastery(Intimidation, Investigation & Stealth), Startle, Tracking and Well-informed= 45pts

Skills:
Acrobatics (4) +9, Athletics (4) +7, Close Combat (4) +13, Expertise: Streetwise (4) +7, Insight (4) +7, Intimidation (4) +7, Investigation (4) +7, Perception (4) +7, Stealth (4) +9 and Vehicles (2) +7 = 19pts

Equipment:
Batcave: Headquarters: Size: Huge, Toughness: 10, Features: Communications, Computer, Concealed, Defence System, Gym, Hanger, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System and Workshop = 20pts

Batsuit: Concealment 4 (All Visual), Enhanced Strength 1, Flight 5 (60mph), Leaping 1 (15’), Movement 1 (Wall Crawling), Protection 1, Senses 2 (Infravision, Ultravision), Removable (-5pts) = 20pts

Utility Belt: Array 12pts + 6 alternate effects = 18pts
Bolo’s: Ranged Affliction 4, Extra Condition, Limited Degree (resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenceless and Immobilised)= 12pts

*Batarang: Strength based Ranged Damage 2, Accurate 4, Multi-attack 2 = 1pt

*Explosive Batarangs: Ranged Burst Area Damage 4 = 1pt

*Flash Bombs: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 4 (Resisted by Fortitude; Vision Impaired, Vision Disabled, Vision Unaware) = 1pt

*Sleep Gas Pellets: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 4 (Resisted by Fortitude; Fatigued, Exhausted, Asleep) = 1pt

*Smoke Bombs: Cloud Area Visual Concealment Attack 4 = 1pt

*Tear Gas Pellets: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 3, Extra Condition (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Vision Impaired, Stunned and Vision Disabled, Incapacitated) = 1pt

Batjet: 55pts
Size: Large, Strength 6, Speed 10, Defence 4, Toughness 8, Air to air Missiles (Ranged Damage 7, Burst Area 4, Homing 4), Feature: Remote Control, Cost 55pts

Offence:
Initiative: +9
Ranged Attack +10, Damage 4
Batarang +18, Damage 6
Explosive Batarang +10, Damage 4
Unarmed +13, Close Damage 4

Defences: (*with defensive roll & batsuit)
Dodge (5) +10, Parry (4) +11, Fortitude (4) +8, Toughness (0) +7*/+5, Will (7) =10= 20pts