PDA

View Full Version : What ways are there to temporarily ignore spell resistance?

Hirax
2012-10-22, 08:36 PM
A couple levels or so from now we think we're going to be able to corral the BBEG if we can dimensionally anchor him/her/it. But we know that the BBEG has spell resistance of some sort, either by the spell, magic item, or whatever, and that the DM is very likely to mysteriously have our CL checks not work (plot armor runs high in this campaign). So, we need to eliminate that CL check somehow. We're 13th level, and have a human wizard, human cleric, human cleric/crusader/RKV, and changeling rogue. The only thing I know of that allows you to straight up ignore SR temporarily is factotum, but sadly we don't have one of those. The campaign will end at level 20.

Though with all that said, in thinking about this I'd be interested in learning about all methods to ignore SR temporarily, just so it's something I can think about for future methods, even if they wouldn't necessarily help here.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-10-22, 08:50 PM
Forbiddance. Just say no to extraplanar travel to or from this area.

A bit pricy on the material components, but it's a Cleric6 spell, meaning your Cleric has access to it. Spell Resistance only applies to the damaging component, not to shutting down extraplanar travel.

Divine Spellpower can boost your effective CL to the point where it can't be dispelled either.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-10-22, 09:02 PM
Dweomerkeeper (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a) at 4th+ level can cast a spell as though it was a supernatural ability, which makes it automatically ignore SR. It will also have no components, including material, somatic, verbal, costly material components, and even xp costs.

Have the Wizard take Extraordinary Spell Aim and use it to cast Antimagic Field, with each party member excluded from the spell's effect. Note that AMF doesn't block line of effect for spells per Rules Compendium, so it wouldn't protect anyone from a spell cast from outside the AMF, but if an opponent is close enough to be in it he can't cast and his items and buffs will be suppressed.

Hirax
2012-10-23, 12:05 AM
Dweomerkeeper won't be an option, unfortunately, the entire party (wizard included, thanks to arcane disicple) have deities that don't offer the magic domain. And a domain staff won't cut it. AMF won't help, due to invoke magic. Forbiddance is something I hadn't considered, but that 6 round casting time would make it so we'd have to somehow lure the BBEG to somewhere we'd already have it set up.

Sith_Happens
2012-10-23, 12:34 AM
Is there any way you could find out precisely how much SR you're up against? If the DM is just using it as general-purpose plot armor than probably not, but if you can somehow narrow it down to a specific number less than around 45 then you're good.

Assay Spell Resistance (SpC, Cleric 4, Sorc/Wiz 4) gives you +10 to overcome spell resistance against one creature for rounds/level as a swift action.

True Casting (CM, Sorc/Wiz 1) gives another +10, but only for one spell and it's a standard action to cast.

Arcane Mastery (CA, feat) lets you take 10 on caster level checks.

With all three, that gives your wizard a total caster level check of 43 to overcome spell resistance. Add other means of boosting caster level as necessary.

Hirax
2012-10-23, 01:11 AM
It'll be unbeatable. The moment we start trying to boost our CL, the BBEG will just mysteriously be a practitioner of circle magic and persisted consumptive field (rocketed CL=rocketed SR, due to how the spell resistance spell works, both the wizard and cleric version). We need a way to just say no.

Arbane
2012-10-23, 01:24 AM
It'll be unbeatable. The moment we start trying to boost our CL, the BBEG will just mysteriously be a practitioner of circle magic and persisted consumptive field (rocketed CL=rocketed SR, due to how the spell resistance spell works, both the wizard and cleric version). We need a way to just say no.

At that point, going on strike until the GM stops the shenanigans and plays by the rules sounds like an EXCELLENT way to just say no.

Zombimode
2012-10-23, 01:25 AM
Well, Truenamers are quite good at ignoring spell resistance... :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2012-10-23, 01:28 AM
Eldritch Theurge 5. Obtain Vitriolic Blast Essence. Have fun never need to beat SR with touch spells again.

Flickerdart
2012-10-23, 01:31 AM
Can you get your hands on a Weirdstone?

Hirax
2012-10-23, 01:53 AM
Weirdstone is another possibility that I had forgotten. I was hoping there was just a 1/day feat or ability out there of some sort to ignore SR.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-23, 02:53 AM
You could just blast him with Orb spells. Many Orb spells.

TuggyNE
2012-10-23, 03:30 AM
You could just blast him with Orb spells. Many Orb spells.

I have to admit, Why Don't Ya Just Shoot Him is definitely starting to come up here. Trying to get no-SR teleport blocking is almost certainly a lot trickier than no-SR blasting.

Sith_Happens
2012-10-23, 03:52 AM
I have to admit, Why Don't Ya Just Shoot Him is definitely starting to come up here. Trying to get no-SR teleport blocking is almost certainly a lot trickier than no-SR blasting.

Until he teleports away upon realizing that you're Just Shooting Him.

TuggyNE
2012-10-23, 04:41 AM
Until he teleports away upon realizing that you're Just Shooting Him.

Well, there's a flaw in any plan. :smalltongue:

But to contribute more seriously, in-game solutions to an OOC problem (unbounded plot armor) aren't really going to work. Try talking it out with the DM beforehand?

Hirax
2012-10-23, 04:46 AM
To be clear, this isn't really a problem, per se, more of a puzzle. While plot armor runs high, to be clear, it isn't unbounded. Think of it being more like test of spite, where most of the easiest tricks don't work. This isn't our first time with this DM, we know his methods and he's quite open about them. He's one of the most fun DM I've ever played with.

TuggyNE
2012-10-23, 05:22 AM
If you have no other option, just disjunction his SR spell/item into oblivion. Watch out for e.g. spellblades, though.

Darrin
2012-10-23, 06:08 AM
If you have no other option, just disjunction his SR spell/item into oblivion. Watch out for e.g. spellblades, though.

Spellblades won't work against disjunction, which is a non-targetted area effect.

Other than sofawall's Cube (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8187767&postcount=7), I'm not sure there is a counter for disjunction.

Studoku
2012-10-23, 06:23 AM
If you can boost your CL high enough, (greater) dispel magic might work. If you can find out whether it is a spell or an item, either drop a targeted dispel on him or his SR item.

It's not a perfect plan- you still have to make a dispel check against someone who probably has a higher CL than you and you have to anchor him immediately after you take his SR down. He sounds like the kind of BBEG who'll flee if he thinks you might be trying to stop him fleeing.

There's also the issue that this only works on items/spells- if his power comes from race or worse- from plot armour- dispel magic isn't going to work.

prufock
2012-10-23, 07:00 AM
Assay Spell Resistance (SpC, Cleric 4, Sorc/Wiz 4) gives you +10 to overcome spell resistance against one creature for rounds/level as a swift action.

True Casting (CM, Sorc/Wiz 1) gives another +10, but only for one spell and it's a standard action to cast.

Arcane Mastery (CA, feat) lets you take 10 on caster level checks.

With all three, that gives your wizard a total caster level check of 43 to overcome spell resistance. Add other means of boosting caster level as necessary.

There are a lot of ways to increase caster level (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level). Though if the CL check DC is "No," these won't matter. Assay Spell Resistance + Mystic Surge + Spell Enhancer + True Casting + some items and feats can certainly help, but not vs plot armor.

The only one that comes to mind is a Beguiler's 20th level Cloaked Casting ability, but that doesn't help you at all.

Use spells that don't allow spell resistance.

DigoDragon
2012-10-23, 07:03 AM
To be clear, this isn't really a problem, per se, more of a puzzle. While plot armor runs high, to be clear, it isn't unbounded. Think of it being more like test of spite, where most of the easiest tricks don't work. This isn't our first time with this DM, we know his methods and he's quite open about them. He's one of the most fun DM I've ever played with.

I will admit, this sounds similar to my play-style as a DM. Every so often its good to make an encounter that blocks the party's usual tricks and tactics and forces them out of the box to think. :smallsmile:

2xMachina
2012-10-23, 07:28 AM
No mention of factotum? They can bypass SR.

Tho... it'll be hard to get one, unless you hire 1 or something.

prufock
2012-10-23, 08:44 AM
No mention of factotum? They can bypass SR.

Tho... it'll be hard to get one, unless you hire 1 or something.

Mentioned in the OP. Not an option for them at the moment.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-23, 09:17 AM
Mentioned in the OP. Not an option for them at the moment.

Then the answer is simple. Kill the Rogue, have him reroll as a Factotum.

Spuddles
2012-10-23, 02:07 PM
Try this power out:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/traceTeleport.htm

No need to prevent teleporting when you can follow him home.

Karoht
2012-10-23, 02:51 PM
Conjuration effects ignore spell resistance, pretty much universally. Get a bunch of summoned creatures to grapple him. Unless he's got Freedom of Movement active he's not casting anything. THEN you nuke him into next tuesday.

Also, Acid Arrow for the finish. Why? Because if he teleports away and still takes the Acid damage the following round, and dies from it... yeah, your DM will be very very annoyed. Rule of funny and all that jazz.

Try checking out some poisons. There should be a few which can help considerably here. No SR, probably a high fortitude save, and ability damage can quickly add up. Con damage is recommended as it will also bring down his subsequent fortitude saves. And again, if he does teleport away the secondary effect might still kill him or at the very least annoy him decently.

But I agree. Teleport to his house and take him out there. If you dare.
I'm pretty sure the DM will be ready for this with minions and traps and other nasty stuff. Be warned, this idea comes with a whole other host of risks.

Rules are rules.
Plot armor was made to be shattered.