PDA

View Full Version : actions versus ranged warfare...

animewatcha
2012-10-22, 09:54 PM
Few questions regarding actions against arrows, rays, etc. depending upon the conditiions.

1st. I know you can 'reserve' free, move, standard action, but what about full attack? For below, assuming you can please.

When it comes to stuff like arrows whizzing around the battlefield. Provided you have the proper range ( reach weapon, large size, etc. ), can you do attacks of opportunity ( or reserved full attack ) against arrows ( that pass through your threat range ) to sunder them ( kinda like deflect arrow feat, but you don't have to be hit by it and would need attack roll ). And other things like 'grapple' them to catch them? 'Grapple' the splash weapon to keep it from going off. Bull rushing a ballistae bolt in its mid-flight to knock it off course. Stuff like that.

For things like rays of enfeeblement, using move action while ray is in midflight to that the ray winds up hitting you instead of party member ( bonus if you are immune to it ). Or heck, draw a shuriken and throw it to be in the path of the ray so it hits the shuriken and both are rendered useless.

Even better if you are archer reserving your attacks ( with things like arrow split spell for rays and splitting enchantment for multiple projectiles ) so that your arrows/bolts meet enemy ranged fire midflight and cancel each other out. Mainly for situations like that have the highground / cover and you are out in the open.

TuggyNE
2012-10-22, 11:02 PM
1st. I know you can 'reserve' free, move, standard action, but what about full attack? For below, assuming you can please.

No, you can't ready attack actions or full-round actions, including full attacks.

When it comes to stuff like arrows whizzing around the battlefield. Provided you have the proper range ( reach weapon, large size, etc. ), can you do attacks of opportunity ( or reserved full attack ) against arrows ( that pass through your threat range ) to sunder them ( kinda like deflect arrow feat, but you don't have to be hit by it and would need attack roll ). And other things like 'grapple' them to catch them? 'Grapple' the splash weapon to keep it from going off. Bull rushing a ballistae bolt in its mid-flight to knock it off course. Stuff like that.

Not that I know of, since they aren't creatures. Well, you could ready a standard action to sunder one projectile, but that's not terribly useful. (Also, a DM with a good idea of arrow physics will probably make it rather tricky, while a DM with a poor idea will either make it impossible or too easy, likely the former.)

For things like rays of enfeeblement, using move action while ray is in midflight to that the ray winds up hitting you instead of party member ( bonus if you are immune to it ). Or heck, draw a shuriken and throw it to be in the path of the ray so it hits the shuriken and both are rendered useless.

You could give your party member soft cover, yes, but I don't believe there's any RAW support for intercepting ray attacks in that way. (With the possible exception of splatbook feats for shield tactics or something.) You can perhaps justify the lack of RAW ability to pull this off with the thought that it's difficult/impossible to precisely position yourself exactly where the spellcaster is about to beam an instantaneous ray, given the amount of moving around both your ally and the enemy caster are doing within their squares.

There is in particular no way I know of to use e.g. a shuriken for this sort of interception.

Even better if you are archer reserving your attacks ( with things like arrow split spell for rays and splitting enchantment for multiple projectiles ) so that your arrows/bolts meet enemy ranged fire midflight and cancel each other out. Mainly for situations like that have the highground / cover and you are out in the open.

You can gain the Ranged Sunder feat and use it here. However, it's a lousy idea because you're trading your standard action for a single counter to a single shot — i.e., you're investing one or more feats in order to use a whole round to have a chance to negate part of the enemy's round. If you feel like nerfing your own action economy like that, go for it.