PDA

View Full Version : Transformers RPG Checklist

Milo v3
2012-10-22, 10:25 PM
I'm currently making a Transformers RPG called Legacy. It will based off the Pokemon Tabletop Adventure ruleset, which in turn is a d20 system.

Mechanics-wise currently have the following planed out:

Ability Scores

Agility (Ag)
Armour (Ar)
Knowledge (Kn)
Perception (Pe)
Size (Si) (???????)
Strength (St)

Classes

Destroyer

Bruiser (Melee Fighter)
Demolitions (Explosives Expert)
Soldier (Superior Firepower)
Strategist (Tactical Leader)

Infiltrator

Assassin (Sneak Attacker)
Marksman (Sniper)
Saboteur (Damaging Systems and Traps)
Scout (Perception Based)
Scientist

Controller (Minion Master)
Engineer (Creator and Upgrader of Systems)
Hacker (Override Systems)
Medic (Repairer)
Titan

Artillery (Extra Weapons)
Colossus (City-Bot)
Guardian (Defensive "Tank")
Overclocker (Overrides saftey protocols for increased strength)

Rules for Beast, Dinosaur, Insect, and Vehicle Alt-modes
Tonnes of different Weapons (Melee and Fire arm)
Tonnes of Modular Upgrades which can be applied to:

Melee Attacks and Melee Weapons
Other Weapons
Your Alt-Mode
Your Robot Mode

Rules for Humans
Rules for Combiners
Rules for Minions (such as Soundwave's Cassettes)
Sample Characters
Autobot Grunt
Optimus Prime
Arcee
Bulkhead
Cliffjumper
Grimlock
Metroplex
Perceptor
Ratchet
Decepticon Grunt
Megatron
Brawl
Kickback
Shockwave
Soundwave
Starscream
Swindle
Trypticon

So is there anything I else I should definitely put in.

ShadowFireLance
2012-10-24, 08:01 PM
Perhaps "Prime" rules? Or a Evil oppisite, "Fallen Prime"?
As In Optimius Prime?

Milo v3
2012-10-24, 08:39 PM
Perhaps "Prime" rules? Or a Evil oppisite, "Fallen Prime"?
As In Optimius Prime?

I thought Prime was only a rank? If it isn't just a rank, what does it do?

ShadowFireLance
2012-10-24, 10:21 PM
Only going Transformers Prime..
It allowed Optimus to use a Relic that Megatron could not.
Vise versa, It Megatron could wield a weapon that Optimus could not.

Durazno
2012-10-24, 11:27 PM
Different continuities give different properties to Primes. Sometimes it's a mere rank, other times it seems more metaphysical.

One thing - Size seems to be the odd stat out. Unlike the others, having a higher Size rating isn't necessarily good (nor is it necessarily bad.) I would give Cybertronians size categories that have effects on their other stats.

I would recommend just starting with vehicle alt modes, since even within vehicles there's a lot of variety - tanks and jets and boats and cars and trucks and helicopters... anyway, you can expand to animals later on. I guess that alt forms ought to be limited by size as well, unless you want to explicitly allow mass shifting. (The size limitation might be better as an optional rule, come to think of it.)

Milo v3
2012-10-25, 12:16 AM
Only going Transformers Prime..
It allowed Optimus to use a Relic that Megatron could not.
Vise versa, It Megatron could wield a weapon that Optimus could not.
That may be difficult to implement mechanically, as it would be a rather small bonus to base a class on.

Different continuities give different properties to Primes. Sometimes it's a mere rank, other times it seems more metaphysical.
Which makes things difficult to say the least.

One thing - Size seems to be the odd stat out. Unlike the others, having a higher Size rating isn't necessarily good (nor is it necessarily bad.) I would give Cybertronians size categories that have effects on their other stats.
So far Size determines the damage of your weapons, how many weapon slots you can have, contributes to your lifting strength, and determines if you can be a Combiner.

The reason it is a stat so that people who play as City-Bots aren't super agile, super intelligent, or super perceptive.

I would recommend just starting with vehicle alt modes, since even within vehicles there's a lot of variety - tanks and jets and boats and cars and trucks and helicopters... anyway, you can expand to animals later on.
As it is, I've got 6 beasts planned, 6 dinobots, 5 insecticons, and 9 vehicles. The reason for beasts was mainly for Mini-Cassets such as Lazerbeak and Ravage. Reason for Dinobots is Grimlock. Reason for Insecticons is I like them (though that isn't much of a reason).

I guess that alt forms ought to be limited by size as well, unless you want to explicitly allow mass shifting. (The size limitation might be better as an optional rule, come to think of it.)
By default, alt-modes have limits on how larger or small they can be. Though I'll mention that as a variant this restriction can be removed.

Durazno
2012-10-25, 01:48 AM
Right, I understand why Size needs to be charted. But because there are also disadvantages to being large, it's different from all of the other ability scores in that array, which only give you more advantages as they get higher.

I just think that Size shouldn't be in the same list as Agility, Armor, etc and instead be a separate category that modifies your stat array after the fact. You know what I mean? This way, it's as though one or more of your six attributes in D&D were derived from one another (like if you needed to use Wisdom to calculate your Intelligence, for instance.) It would also muddle point-buy situations.

Concerning the cassettes - does this mean that it will be possible for some transformers to have a vehicle and a beast form but no humanoid? Because that would be cool.

Milo v3
2012-10-25, 02:06 AM
Right, I understand why Size needs to be charted. But because there are also disadvantages to being large, it's different from all of the other ability scores in that array, which only give you more advantages as they get higher.

I just think that Size shouldn't be in the same list as Agility, Armor, etc and instead be a separate category that modifies your stat array after the fact. You know what I mean? This way, it's as though one or more of your six attributes in D&D were derived from one another (like if you needed to use Wisdom to calculate your Intelligence, for instance.) It would also muddle point-buy situations.
Though if it isn't a stat then how will I balance the players being different sizes, especially at level 0. If anyone can choose out of any of the size ratings at the very start of the game with complete balance between all the sizes then I would have to put severe weaknesses on each size rating except medium to make sure they are balanced, and I don't want to do that.

Concerning the cassettes - does this mean that it will be possible for some transformers to have a vehicle and a beast form but no humanoid? Because that would be cool.
Yes you can.

Durazno
2012-10-25, 03:26 AM
Well, first off, what would be the range of sizes? Let's have a hypothetical example: let's say we had Tiny for minicons and cassettes, Small for cars and trucks, Large for bigger semi trucks and jets, Huge for things like bombers and ships and Gigantic for aircraft carriers, bases and Godzilla stand-ins. (I'm guessing that you'll want to make it more fine-grained than that, but this will do for now.)

Starting players can only choose Large and Small, which are balanced against one another. At set points during their advancement (are you using character levels?), they can choose to take their size either a step up or a step down. A Small character could become Tiny, which makes them very hard to catch but loses them some strength and staying power. A Large character could become Huge because they've always wanted to be a B1 bomber. Or either one could just decide to see how the other half lives, or even just stay the same.

Even if size remains a stat, though, I think that large and small transformers should be balanced against each other to a degree. Some players will want to be scrappy little dragonslayers, after all, or avoid getting too big for their awesome Dodge Viper form.

Yes you can.

Awesome. I've always thought that that would be an interesting way to play the Dinobots, so if I were to get my hands on this system I'd probably experiment with a Pterodactank or something.

Milo v3
2012-10-25, 04:33 AM
Starting players can only choose Large and Small, which are balanced against one another.

At set points during their advancement, they can choose to take their size either a step up or a step down. A Small character could become Tiny, which makes them very hard to catch but loses them some strength and staying power. A Large character could become Huge because they've always wanted to be a B1 bomber. Or either one could just decide to see how the other half lives, or even just stay the same.

That would stop people from playing as Grimlock Sized, playing as bombers, or boats at level zero though. Though there will be size categories which are determined by your Si:
1-3 = Miniature
4-6 = Small
7-9 = Lesser
10-12 = Average (Medium)
13-18 = Large
19-24 = Colossal
25-30 = Galatic

(are you using character levels?)
Yes, with a potentially unlimited number levels you can gain.

Even if size remains a stat, though, I think that large and small transformers should be balanced against each other to a degree. Some players will want to be scrappy little dragonslayers, after all, or avoid getting too big for their awesome Dodge Viper form.
That's my aim. Also note, as small characters aren't spending many points in Si they can spend more points in the other stats.

ShadowFireLance
2012-10-25, 12:05 PM
Posting to let ya know you got a playtester right here.

Milo v3
2012-10-25, 03:50 PM
Posting to let ya know you got a playtester right here.

I'm not 100% sure if I'll be doing the playtests on the forums, but when I finish with the rules I send you a PM.

lightningcat
2012-11-05, 05:44 PM
As a fellow fool attempting this same feat, I think you have most of the bases covered. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not familiar with the Pokemon Tabletop Adventure ruleset, but you might look through CraftyGames' Transmech (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/63037/Origin-of-the-Species%3A-Transmechs) for ideas. Its a quick setup for Transformer's using the SpyCraft system.

What are you doing about those Transformer's that massively change size? I don't think it has been a big a thing in the newer stuff, but back in G1, you had Shockwave being one of the biggest Transformers that changed into a boombox. Personal opinion is to limit this to some degree.

As for my idea, I'm 158 pages into modifying the Exalted system and getting real close to finished. I'll have to post it somewhere when I do.

Milo v3
2012-11-05, 06:01 PM
As a fellow fool attempting this same feat, I think you have most of the bases covered. :smallbiggrin:
Yay!

I'm not familiar with the Pokemon Tabletop Adventure ruleset, but you might look through CraftyGames' Transmech (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/63037/Origin-of-the-Species%3A-Transmechs) for ideas. Its a quick setup for Transformer's using the SpyCraft system.
Sadly I don't have a copy of the SpyCraft rules, nor any money to buy the rules.

What are you doing about those Transformer's that massively change size? I don't think it has been a big a thing in the newer stuff, but back in G1, you had Shockwave being one of the biggest Transformers that changed into a boombox. Personal opinion is to limit this to some degree.
Size shifting between your Alt-Mode and Robot mode can be done with the "Hammerspace - Mass" Feature, which allows you to change your size score of your Alt-mode.
Soundwave would also have the "Miscellaneous Alt-Mode" feature, which grants him a Boombox Alt-Mode.

As for my idea, I'm 158 pages into modifying the Exalted system and getting real close to finished. I'll have to post it somewhere when I do.
Sounds good, I hope to see it when it is done. It would be good to compare.

EDIT: Just noticed your Sig, and I'm looking at it now.

Bryan1108
2012-11-05, 08:08 PM
I think that it makes sense for Prime to be a template applied to an autobot.

I know that the original series is dated now bit in the original series, Optimus was a regular Transformer before the war though I forget his name (It wasn't Optimus). He was injured and Alpha Trion led him off and when he came back, he was Optimus Prime.

The main difference seemed to be an increase in size and the ability to access the Matrix of Leadership though there was probably a bump in Wisdom.

Also, in the first movie (cartoon movie, not live action), Hot Rod was changed into Rodimus Prime by the Autobot Matrix of Leadership (which would be a cool artifact)

I don't think that there are any in the new series but it might be fun to see rules for Triple Changers, Headmasters and Pretenders.

Bryan1108
2012-11-05, 08:14 PM
This might seem nitpicky or too early to bring it up but you might want to leave one of the Scientist classes just as a straight scientist.

Milo v3
2012-11-05, 08:36 PM
I think that it makes sense for Prime to be a template applied to an autobot.
Templates don't exist in the rules, so it would need to be an additional class.

The main difference seemed to be an increase in size and the ability to access the Matrix of Leadership though there was probably a bump in Wisdom.
Implementing this would be difficult though (no wisdom score), especially since different continuities make being a prime different things.

In some it is a rank (sometimes not even the highest ranks), while in others it's a powerful title which grants the matrix of leadership (The traits of which are also different in each continuity).

I don't think that there are any in the new series but it might be fun to see rules for Triple Changers, Headmasters and Pretenders.
Triple changers are in it, as I've made a feature called "Triple Changer". :smallbiggrin:
Headmasters uses the Combiner Mechanics (Big Transformer as the body + Tiny Transformer as the head).

This might seem nitpicky or too early to bring it up but you might want to leave one of the Scientist classes just as a straight scientist.
Scientist is a base class, and is the straight up scientist. With the classes of Engineer, Controller, Medic, etc. being Prestige Classes.

EDIT: Sorry about missing pretenders. Beast, Dinosaur, and Insect alt-modes can all be organic in appearance (and human is one of the beast modes).