PDA

View Full Version : Planar touchstone and getting higher spells?

Lost in books
2012-10-22, 10:43 PM
So I am reading the planar handbook (finally) but I am having trouble understanding how you can use the feat "Planar touchstone" and "extra spell" to get to earn up to 9 lvl spells?

What is the technique? Is it permanent? And what if the PCs class can only reach to level 5 spells? Does the stone allow to cast higher than that?

Thank you for all the explanations!

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-22, 11:01 PM
So I am reading the planar handbook (finally) but I am having trouble understanding how you can use the feat "Planar touchstone" and "extra spell" to get to earn up to 9 lvl spells?

What is the technique? Is it permanent? And what if the PCs class can only reach to level 5 spells? Does the stone allow to cast higher than that?

Thank you for all the explanations!

I am not at all familiar with this trick, and I've been around long enough to have heard of just about all of them.

Where did you hear/read that you could use planar touchstone to get ahead of the normal casting progression?

Lost in books
2012-10-22, 11:16 PM
One of my friends was talking about something like that he was working on with different ACFs and dips. But what i remember was planar touchstone and extra spell. As far as I can see when reading the book maybe learning a lvl below. It was something about triple 9s (haven't found that online yet) and practiced spellcaster bumping casting levels. Then again he may be using dragon magazine or third party books because I don't see it in the book. That is why I come to the playground.

Edit: Also using a psionic power that would allow him to reuse the extra spell learned feat.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-22, 11:34 PM
Okay, I just checked both the base and higher order abilities for every touchstone in the planar handbook. There's simply no way your friends trick works the way he thinks it does. None of those abilities would even interact with extra spell or practiced spellcaster.

If I'm wrong, then I'm sure someone will point it out, but I'm pretty sure about this.

If you can get your friend to spell it out in detail, I can probably figure out either how his trick works or why it doesn't.

VGLordR2
2012-10-22, 11:39 PM
There's a similar trick to what your friend described in the Chameleon Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8750.msg294034#msg294034). However, it is more resource intensive, and only goes up to eighth level spells. Also, I'm not too confident that it works by RAW, but I'm too tired right now to figure it out.