PDA

View Full Version : An interesting character

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 12:23 AM
So, basically, I want to use at least 2 or 3 templates that have 0 LA, and would stack with each other.

If this works well, I am going to use it as my next character. Should my duskblade (Half-vampire named Nathair Nimhe) die, which I doubt, or when we have a new campaign.

Zombulian
2012-10-23, 12:37 AM
Arctic Wild Spark. +2 con -2 wis +2 str -2 int. Dragon Magazine 306. Also you get a few nifty SLA's.

Edit: Shove Unseelie Fey on there too if you yknow... don't have integrity.

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 12:56 AM
I can't find this Arctic Wild Spark

The Bandicoot
2012-10-23, 12:58 AM
I can't find this Arctic Wild Spark

I believe each word is a seperate template. So Arctic, Wild, and Spark

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 01:06 AM
Then I will search for each!

Zombulian
2012-10-23, 01:35 AM
Then I will search for each!

As I said, they are in Dragon Mag 306. In the Racial Variants section.

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 01:36 AM
I can not access Dragon Mag. I'm allowed to use material from it, but I can never get to it. But while those are interesting, they don't fit what I would do.

TuggyNE
2012-10-23, 01:36 AM

IIRC Arctic isn't actually a template, but a group of broadly similar variant races (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticRaces) (e.g. Arctic Goblin, Arctic Elf, etc).

Zombulian
2012-10-23, 01:39 AM
IIRC Arctic isn't actually a template, but a group of broadly similar variant races (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#arcticRaces) (e.g. Arctic Goblin, Arctic Elf, etc).

Arctic or "Ice Dweller" IS in fact a template. In Dragon Magazine. 306... I feel I have said this before.

Edit: Also kinda hard for me to help... when you haven't told me what you would do...

TuggyNE
2012-10-23, 02:32 AM
Arctic or "Ice Dweller" IS in fact a template. In Dragon Magazine. 306... I feel I have said this before.

Ah, my mistake. I'm not too familiar with DrMag stuff.

Gnorman
2012-10-23, 02:43 AM
Dragonborn Water Orc for a nifty +4 to Strength and Constitution (but a -2 to everything else). Makes for a great martial character right off the bat.

If you're able to somehow argue that "lesser tiefling" is not a race but a template that could be added, you could have a net total of:

+4 Strength, +4 Constitution, -2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma.

Plus, you're a fiendish dragon orc. What's not to love? Oh, the fact that you'd have to refluff dragonborn pretty heavily. But that's not that hard: maybe Tiamat took a page from her rival's handbook?

The aasimar version would have: +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence. Would make for a decent paladin-type, and you could easily explain the ancestry as Bahamut marking or blessing your "dragonbirth".

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 02:45 AM
Any suggestions for a not martial character?

Gnorman
2012-10-23, 02:49 AM
Harder to do, because there aren't any legitimate LA 0 templates that increase mental statistics and are not from Dragon / third party materials. At least, that I know of.

Necropolitan lesser tiefling grey elf? Penalties to strength and charisma, bonuses to dexterity and intelligence, no Constitution? Necropolitan's not really LA 0, though.

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 02:52 AM
If the third party source is a published one, I can probably use it. I can also use DragonMagazine, I just have a hard time accessing it.

Diovid
2012-10-23, 02:41 PM
Unseelie Fey + Magic-Blooded + Venerable Age + a race with a charisma boost.

Namfuak
2012-10-23, 02:48 PM
Unseelie Fey + Magic-Blooded + Venerable Age + a race with a charisma boost.

Star elf comes to mind, if you want to take advantage of elf racial variant wizard options.

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 03:51 PM
That could work, as I know a few ways to be venerable age, but still retain physical stats, and don't need to die

Darius Kane
2012-10-23, 04:25 PM
Huh... So this days "cheesy" means "interesting"?

Diovid
2012-10-23, 04:37 PM
Star elf comes to mind, if you want to take advantage of elf racial variant wizard options.
Lesser Aasimar and Spellscale are also good choices.

Urpriest
2012-10-23, 04:42 PM
If you're able to somehow argue that "lesser tiefling" is not a race but a template that could be added, you could have a net total of:

Is there a way to argue that? I can't think of anything that might work. After all, tieflings are explicitly humans with fiendish ancestry, as there exist other fiendish planetouched descended from the other races. So it's not a fluff argument.

Gnorman
2012-10-23, 05:51 PM
Is there a way to argue that? I can't think of anything that might work. After all, tieflings are explicitly humans with fiendish ancestry, as there exist other fiendish planetouched descended from the other races. So it's not a fluff argument.

They do exist, yes, but are generally campaign-specific.

I was just thinking of some way to craft a race-stacking argument - like a tiefling orc, or a tiefling elf, or a tiefling elf.

The counterargument would be yours - fey'ri, tanarruk, maeluth, et cetera.

But depending on the level of cheese allowed, it's a (remote) possibility.

Zombulian
2012-10-23, 06:57 PM
Let me direct you to a friend (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6992.0) of mine.

Snowbluff
2012-10-23, 07:04 PM

Except that Half-Orcs are Human too. Like, Homo-Sapiens, since they can mate with Humans.

Dragonborn Mongrelfolk. Add silly templates to taste. Achieve massive Con.

Urpriest
2012-10-23, 07:08 PM
Except that Half-Orcs are Human too. Like, Homo-Sapiens, since they can mate with Humans.

D&D race and species are entirely different concepts.

Snowbluff
2012-10-23, 07:10 PM
D&D race and species are entirely different concepts.

Except that Tiefling-ism is hereditary. Things fall apart there.

Zombulian
2012-10-23, 07:15 PM

Dragonborn Obese Arctic Lesser Ooze Paragenasi.
Play a Totemist. Slap on a Basilisk Mask and turn people to stone all the time. Then use a Yrthak mask to blow em to bits with sonic damage. Do whatever you want with the rest of the build, character, and flavor ideas.

Gnorman
2012-10-23, 07:46 PM
Dragonborn Obese Arctic Lesser Ooze Paragenasi.
Play a Totemist. Slap on a Basilisk Mask and turn people to stone all the time. Then use a Yrthak mask to blow em to bits with sonic damage. Do whatever you want with the rest of the build, character, and flavor ideas.

Trying to imagine this enormous, blubbery, slimy mess of a character concept makes me giggle.

It's awesome, but it makes me giggle.

I AM THE WALRUS!

Venusaur
2012-10-23, 08:42 PM
Venerable Dragonwrought Desert/Jungle Kobold. That is what we call a good caster race. Slap on Unseelie Fey for more hilarity, or dump Con and go Necropolitan.

Mithril Leaf
2012-10-23, 08:45 PM
Alright, stack all the templates! First off, we're a lesser cansin, because chaos does lend itself to silly breeding like this, +2 int, +2 cha. Then we throw on arctic, desert, spark, and wild, +2 str, +2 con, -2 wis total. Throw on aquatic now, so we're at +2 str, -2 dex, +2 con, -2 wis. Unseelie Fey time, you negate all your strength, dexterity, and constitution stuff, ending up with -2 wis, +2 cha. Also, you have a ton of minor skill boosts and can breath underwater. Interesting it worked out that way.