PDA

View Full Version : Building a character to fit a personality

NullShadow
2012-10-23, 01:32 AM
Ok, here is my idea. My friend Jeff is running a homebrew campaign, in which my characters seem to have short lifespans typically due to "accidentally" offing other players,(As I play a player run evil guy on occasion) :smallredface:

Now this most recent of characters seems to be heading down the path of no return as well, though this is due to him being a necrocarnate, and our paladin generally frowns upon the torture of things, much less souls.

So this time I am thinking Instead of building a character and fitting a personality to him, Instead I would throw the personality up to the forum and see what you guys could come up with for the build.

Without further ado here we go:

First and foremost He is a middle aged man with peppered grey hair. He has no family to speak of, his mother who had cared for him as a child left him when he was a teen for her lover, this left him with a great disdain for romance and love.

He prefers not to get his hands dirty if he can but he will not pull any punches to get what he wants and will use any dirty tricks he knows of to get it, He comes of as mean and insulting unless you have something he wants then he butters you up until he can get it

He, does have a mild interest for the things arcane, but only as a means to an end, nothing more.

This is what I have so far. What do you think you can do with it?

P.S. I can add more info if needed

White_Drake
2012-10-23, 01:35 AM
That description vaguely reminds me of Belgarath the Sorcerer; I would suggest reading the Belgariad by David Eddings (then again, I would always suggest reading those books).

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 01:35 AM
Rogue. Leading into Chameleon. Finishing with more rogue. Also, keeping bluff and diplomacy maxed out.

NullShadow
2012-10-23, 01:38 AM
Truth be told, I was hoping something more varied than rogue but that was my fall back lol

TuggyNE
2012-10-23, 01:39 AM
First and foremost He is a middle aged man with peppered grey hair. He has no family to speak of, his mother who had cared for him as a child left him when he was a teen for her lover, this left him with a great disdain for romance and love.

He prefers not to get his hands dirty if he can but he will not pull any punches to get what he wants and will use any dirty tricks he knows of to get it, He comes of as mean and insulting unless you have something he wants then he butters you up until he can get it

He, does have a mild interest for the things arcane, but only as a means to an end, nothing more.

This is what I have so far. What do you think you can do with it?

P.S. I can add more info if needed

I'm thinking Rogue/Wizard into Arcane Trickster, although that might be a bit too spell-y for you.

Really, though, there's a lot of ways to express this personality in effective builds; you'll need to be more specific about what you want him to accomplish.

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 01:42 AM
Truth be told, I was hoping something more varied than rogue but that was my fall back lol
I only suggest as a means to get into chameleon, as the amount of skill points is whats important.

That description vaguely reminds me of Belgarath the Sorcerer; I would suggest reading the Belgariad by David Eddings (then again, I would always suggest reading those books).
You sir, have won one respect.

NullShadow
2012-10-23, 01:45 AM
I'm thinking Rogue/Wizard into Arcane Trickster, although that might be a bit too spell-y for you.

Really, though, there's a lot of ways to express this personality in effective builds; you'll need to be more specific about what you want him to accomplish.

Good point, I did want him to be a bit spell-y as you put it :smallsmile: .
his main goal is to amass wealth and live out the end of his days opulence through any means, including spells, and other things best left unsaid.

NullShadow
2012-10-23, 01:47 AM
I only suggest as a means to get into chameleon, as the amount of skill points is whats important.

missed the chameleon remark, where is that from?

Tvtyrant
2012-10-23, 01:52 AM
Factotum 10/Fiendbinder 10? Has some arcane abilities (dabbling), the ability to gain extra actions each turn (which it can use to spam attacks or later to order all of your fiends to do things), and skills up the Nile. Your character does less and less of the work himself, staying in the back and trying not to get hit.

Cranthis
2012-10-23, 01:56 AM
Races of destiny. It can basically do anything. Also consider Factotum as a way of entry for it. It only gets up to 6th level spells ( arcane, divine, both) but from any list. and it can imitate any class feature. You have to read it to understand.

Black_Zawisza
2012-10-23, 02:52 AM
missed the chameleon remark, where is that from?
Races of Destiny. If you're not otherwise interested in getting the book (it's a pretty good one, imo), Wizards has the class posted on their site. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b

White_Drake
2012-10-23, 07:13 AM

Thank You

Now, back on topic, if you are considering a Chameleon gish, 1st level Haste is great for Swiftblade.

docnessuno
2012-10-23, 08:55 AM
I would either use straight factotum, wich seems to fits the concept pretty well, or use it for chameleon entry.

Telonius
2012-10-23, 09:06 AM
It almost sounds like a Bard or a Beguiler to me. "Not getting hands dirty" sounds like either a skillmonkey with tons of charisma, or someone who specializes in using mind-affecting spells. Bard or Beguiler could fit either of those.

NullShadow
2012-10-24, 12:09 AM
well, ok then. Change of plans now. I just played in another campaign a friend of mine is running and my character just died. So it seems I will be putting him to use sooner after all.

And after looking around I have found that C/N Wizard 12 / Malconvoker 9/ Cosmic Descryer 2 looks to be prime. Just one problem, we are epic level at the moment. what kind of creatures should I be trying to planar bind at those levels?

Rejakor
2012-10-24, 11:49 AM
Joker Bard or Fiend of Possession.

Or maybe dirty trick wizard who specializes in two things - horrible fight-ending murder spell combos, and minor spells to enhance his affability, so he doesn't have to resort to his 'nuclear' option. Very gangster, velvet glove over a steel fist.