PDA

View Full Version : [3e] Way to defend against negative levels

Mr L.
2012-10-23, 02:35 AM
Hello everyone.

I would be grateful if you could tell me what is most efficient way to defent against negaive levels dealt by abilities like enervation (not spell itself)?

I'm looking for magic items and spells that would prevent efects of ability, I know that it would be best to kill creature before it can hit me, but let's assume that it is not an option.

I'm level 11 wizard and I don't heve too much spare cash...

Thank you for any help :smallsmile:

Alleran
2012-10-23, 02:44 AM
Hello everyone.

I would be grateful if you could tell me what is most efficient way to defent against negaive levels dealt by abilities like enervation (not spell itself)?

I'm looking for magic items and spells that would prevent efects of ability, I know that it would be best to kill creature before it can hit me, but let's assume that it is not an option.

I'm level 11 wizard and I don't heve too much spare cash...

Thank you for any help :smallsmile:
Assuming you're in a party that includes a cleric, just get said cleric buddy to cast Death Ward. They should be able to either extend or persist it with Divine Metamagic (as opposed to just casting it when you're going into combat with something that might enervate you). However, if those don't appeal, purchase a Soulfire buckler (BoED). IIRC, it includes immunity to level drain.

blazinghand
2012-10-23, 02:45 AM
Death Ward is a 4th-level Cleric Spell that has that effect. As a Wizard, I don't think there's a Core spell that does the same thing.

Golden Ladybug
2012-10-23, 02:45 AM
In pure 3e, I'm not particularly sure if you'd be able to access it from a pure Wizard chassis, but the best option for this is Death Ward. A 4th level Cleric spell that stops Energy Drain (along with a not insignificant amount of other things) with a duration of Minutes/Level.

If you're allowed access to 3.5 materials as well as 3e, you might be able to take the Arcane Disciple feat, selecting the Death Domain. You'll be able to select Death Ward as one of your spells, and cast it as long as you have 14 Wisdom.

Mr L.
2012-10-23, 03:31 AM
I'm afraid that in 3e death ward does not protect one against energy drain, only deadly efects like slain living...
And I wouldn't like to relay on other party members in that case.

Anyway, thanks for so quick response.

TuggyNE
2012-10-23, 04:07 AM
I'm afraid that in 3e death ward does not protect one against energy drain, only deadly efects like slain living...

Well, that's... interesting*. Unfortunately, that seems to be true ("death spells and magical death effects" is the sum total of its protection). And IIRC, BoED is early in 3.5, not late in 3.0, so... good luck have fun? :smallsigh:

I am a little curious why you're playing 3.0, though, rather than 3.5, or 2e, or 1e, or....

*For sufficiently discouraged values of "interesting".

HunterOfJello
2012-10-23, 04:14 AM
become a Necropolitan. It costs 3000gp and 1000xp. You'll become undead and therefore immune to negative levels.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-10-23, 09:28 AM
become a Necropolitan. It costs 3000gp and 1000xp. You'll become undead and therefore immune to buffed by negative levels.

Fixed that for you. But I'm pretty sure Necropolitan is not 3e. Also: What Tuggyne said.

Psyren
2012-10-23, 09:38 AM
Are Scarabs of Protection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#scarabofProtection) in 3.0? I have no idea what stuff is available there.

Can you use Libris Mortis? The Enduring Life and Lasting Life feats give you a good chance of ignoring the effects of level drain completely.