PDA

View Full Version : Entering the shadow plane riddle

Gerner
2012-10-23, 09:23 AM
So my players are currently fighting Shar, and are going to find a portal to the shadow realm, where they will find the boss of the adventure…

When they find the portal, i want it to be close and only open to the right answer to a riddle.

The problem is I can figure out a good riddle the answer is to be shadow or shadow realm.

Any good suggestions?

DJDeMiko
2012-10-23, 09:52 AM
I sneak behind you all day long
I try to mimic but my shape is wrong
I vanish at night
Unless a candle you light
I can be short and I can be tall
and I can tell stories upon a wall

falloutimperial
2012-10-24, 05:11 AM
I'd recommend the answer to not be "shadows" because that seems a bit obvious unless they don't know where the portal leads.

HunterOfJello
2012-10-24, 07:11 AM
How hard or difficult do you want the riddle to be?

Lapak
2012-10-24, 08:39 AM
Does it have to be a verbal riddle, or could it be a puzzle?

What I'm thinking here is that they get to the portal, and it's just a decorative panel on the wall. A door that doesn't open, with a keyhole that doesn't respond to Knock or Lockpicking. But it detects as magic, and everything has led them here.

In the center of the room, there's a statue. Details are up to you, but it's holding a key out at arm's length. It doesn't come loose; even breaking the statue's hand off will only establish that the key doesn't fit in the lock. This is, of course, because...

...the door can only be unlocked by the shadow of the key. If this is open to the air, it will happen at a certain time of day and/or night automatically, or the PCs can set up a spell or a torch such that the shadow of the key falls on the keyhole. Click, woosh, the door fades into a shimmering portal into Shadow.

Absol197
2012-10-24, 09:02 AM
Does it have to be a verbal riddle, or could it be a puzzle?

What I'm thinking here is that they get to the portal, and it's just a decorative panel on the wall. A door that doesn't open, with a keyhole that doesn't respond to Knock or Lockpicking. But it detects as magic, and everything has led them here.

In the center of the room, there's a statue. Details are up to you, but it's holding a key out at arm's length. It doesn't come loose; even breaking the statue's hand off will only establish that the key doesn't fit in the lock. This is, of course, because...

...the door can only be unlocked by the shadow of the key. If this is open to the air, it will happen at a certain time of day and/or night automatically, or the PCs can set up a spell or a torch such that the shadow of the key falls on the keyhole. Click, woosh, the door fades into a shimmering portal into Shadow.

This is the greatest idea ever! I'm going to steal this at one point (by your permissin, of course!)

~Phoenix~

Gerner
2012-10-24, 09:05 AM
As they are all new to D&D i think the riddle have to be medium it don’t have to be a word riddle it can also be a puzzle.

As they are new to D&D universe and really have figured out exactly who Shar, I think the answer if a word riddle have to be something associated with Shar for example Shadow

I like the puzzle with the statue