PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts - need help with justifications

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-23, 12:15 PM
So, I'm creating a martial arts system, and I want a janken mechanic between maneuvers. I've settled on:
Block beats Strike, that beats Airborne, that beats Projectile, that beats Combo, that beats Charge, that beats Grapple, that beats Block.

What I need help is justifying why Projectile beats Combo, why Combo beats Charge and why Charge beats Grapple. The others are covered.

Any ideas?

Friv
2012-10-23, 12:16 PM
So, I'm creating a martial arts system, and I want a janken mechanic between maneuvers. I've settled on:
Block beats Strike, that beats Airborne, that beats Projectile, that beats Combo, that beats Charge, that beats Grapple, that beats Block.

What I need help is justifying why Projectile beats Combo, why Combo beats Charge and why Charge beats Grapple. The others are covered.

Any ideas?

Charge beats Grapple because you can't get a hold of people that slam into you and then sweep past you.

When you say Combo, do you mean quick flurries of moves? I'm not clear on the difference between Strike and Combo here.

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-23, 12:19 PM
Charge beats Grapple because you can't get a hold of people that slam into you and then sweep past you.

When you say Combo, do you mean quick flurries of moves? I'm not clear on the difference between Strike and Combo here.

A combo is a flurry of blows, a Strike is one solid blow, basically.

Spiryt
2012-10-23, 12:31 PM
Projectile beats Combo, because combination is deadly and stuff, but useless when something flies at you and makes you moth on a pin.

You mean some fluff explanations like that?

ThiagoMartell
2012-10-23, 12:40 PM
Projectile beats Combo, because combination is deadly and stuff, but useless when something flies at you and makes you moth on a pin.

You mean some fluff explanations like that?

Yes, exactly that.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-10-23, 01:04 PM
Combo beats Charge because a Combo is part setup and analysis, and part takedown. The Charge is utterly predictable, and Combo is able to lay an easy trap.

Spiryt
2012-10-23, 01:18 PM
Reverse would be easy enough to keep in pseudo-realistic nice explanation -

Grapple beats Charge, because Charge already provides speed and momentum for collision - tie up and hold/trip/toss. Grapple cannot be avoided, because one cannot change direction, retain balance and mobility while charging on.

Charge beats Combo, because its impetus, power and ferocity is bound to break combination footwork and flow in one way or another.

Friv
2012-10-23, 02:33 PM
Reverse would be easy enough to keep in pseudo-realistic nice explanation -

Grapple beats Charge, because Charge already provides speed and momentum for collision - tie up and hold/trip/toss. Grapple cannot be avoided, because one cannot change direction, retain balance and mobility while charging on.

Charge beats Combo, because its impetus, power and ferocity is bound to break combination footwork and flow in one way or another.

That's actually a good point. Projectile then beats Grapple, because Grapples are close-up and Projectiles stay the hell away from them. So your flow becomes:

Block beats Strike, that beats Airborne, that beats Projectile, that beats Grapple, that beats Charge, that beats Combo, that beats Block.

Combo beats Block because a flurry of cunning blows overwhelms and bypasses an enemy who's just trying to defend themselves.

Blightedmarsh
2012-10-23, 03:01 PM
Strike: Decisive blow
Combo: Flurry of blow
Block: Defensive stance/counter strike
Charge:
Airborne: Throw or acrobatics?
Grapple: Throw or submission(counter).
Projectile: Ranged attack

Block>Strike: Because that is what block is for

Strike>Airborne: Because airborne is vulnerable to the sudden impact of a decisive blow

Airborne>Projectile: Because its fast and difficult to track.

Projectile>Grapple: Because grapple is all about the counter and projectile provides no opportunity.

Grapple>Charge: because it uses charges momentum against it

Charge>Combo: Charge has the momentum to overcome the low impact flurry.

Combo>Block: Because it uses rapid fire blows to brake up the defensive stance.

Block>Strike>Airborne>Projectile>Grapple>Charge>Combo>Block......