PDA

View Full Version : RAW Help with Templates and Triggered Magic Items

krlsmnk
2012-10-23, 02:11 PM
Hey guys, I need some help as I don't have time to pour over books endlessly searching for something.

Here's the gist: I'm a DM making encounters for a 15th-level group. They are incredibly high-powered in terms of gear, but few of them have min-maxing experience... so with my (limited) min-max exp, I have been drawing up fun and challenging solo encounters for them (they absolutely go crazy over 'boss battles' and I'm trying to keep everything BY THE BOOKS so they can learn).

All of them are League of Legends players, so our latest bought of fun has been to create all of the League Champions as ~15th level (with some LA to balance the Solo vs the party of 5).

My current project is a 2-champ team: Karthus and Hecarim, as their flavor fits well together (both undead from the Shadow Isles; 1 bruiser + 1 caster = good solo encounter).

Karthus, the singing Lich, is an evil Bard (naturally). He more often uses his voice for his Bardic music than an instrument, but he is rather partial to his Bow because of his CHA modifier. Here is Karthus' Sheet, nearly completed:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=461043

The only thing I need here is a way for the staff to "Trigger" when someone's HP drops below half. I know there is a way to trigger magic items, but I haven't the first clue what or where it is. Could someone point me to that RAW please?

Also, I'm having difficulty determining if
Major Image + Magic Mouth spells = a spell-casting double.
Anyone can find me some RAW on this?

Now for Hecarim, the undead Centuar who leaves fear, desolation, and bodies in his wake. He uses a spear in the game, but I believe a lance would suit fairly-closely. He runs incradibly fast, and forces his targets to be in the spot of his choice on the battlefield. Naturally, I chose the Knight class (PhB II) for this job. Here is Hecarim's sheet:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=461313

Here's a few concerns:

1: The "Life-Drinker" according to SRD, is a Greataxe. That's... undesirable. How would the total purchase cost of this item change if the same enchantment were applied to a lance, and a large one at that? (I do not know the calculation formulas for magic items). Also... is there any save for this effect? 2 Negative levels a swing at 4 swings per rounds sounds like it would stack up exceptionally fast... especially with no possible save. Anyone know?

2: I need an Undead Template for old Hec. One, preferably, that will either boost his CHA or his STR... or wonderfully both. If his CON disappears, that's fine. I'm looking into a way to get him the "Unholy Toughness" benefit that allows Karthus such ungodly amounts of HP despite having no CON.

So to Prioritize the items above when searching for a template:
1: Unholy Toughness
2: + CHA
3: + STR
4: LA Less than or equal to 4 please.

3: I've been reading the UMD skill... and I am uncertain whether or not I can legally do this. Can I, RAW, use UMD check (DC 25 to emulate a race) to emulate the "Horse" race so as to use "Horseshoes of Flame" for an hour, as well as "Grotesque Barding" (by emulating anything with the Animal type)? Or is the UMD emulation limited to Player-only races? Would I need to roll UMD for every swing with the Barding, or would it perpetually work like the horseshoes (1 check / hour) ?

4: If Hecarim crits on a Charge with his lance, the lance doing x3 (feat) and the crit multiplier also being x3... does that mean an overall x6 or an overall x9?

5: Since he is using a reach weapon that cannot strike adjacent foes, is it possible for Hecarim to free-5 backwards and then make a full-attack against his target(s) allowing him his entitled 4 attacks?

Thanks so much in advance for all your help!!

~Karl

TuggyNE
2012-10-23, 04:59 PM
This should probably be in 3.5 subforum.

Also, I'm having difficulty determining if
Major Image + Magic Mouth spells = a spell-casting double.
Anyone can find me some RAW on this?

"The mouth cannot utter verbal components, use command words, or activate magical effects." So no, it won't work.

1: The "Life-Drinker" according to SRD, is a Greataxe. That's... undesirable. How would the total purchase cost of this item change if the same enchantment were applied to a lance, and a large one at that? (I do not know the calculation formulas for magic items).

A lance costs 10gp base, and double that for a Large creature. Add 300gp for masterwork, and it costs the same as a Medium MW greataxe: 320gp. So the price doesn't change at all.

Also... is there any save for this effect? 2 Negative levels a swing at 4 swings per rounds sounds like it would stack up exceptionally fast... especially with no possible save. Anyone know?

There is no save. However, there are several sources of immunity: the death ward spell (Clr 4), Soulfire armor enhancement (BoED), and a number of others.

3: I've been reading the UMD skill... and I am uncertain whether or not I can legally do this. Can I, RAW, use UMD check (DC 25 to emulate a race) to emulate the "Horse" race so as to use "Horseshoes of Flame" for an hour, as well as "Grotesque Barding" (by emulating anything with the Animal type)? Or is the UMD emulation limited to Player-only races?

There are very few such "player-only" things in 3.5, and this isn't one of them. You can emulate being a horse, as a centaur, rather well.

Would I need to roll UMD for every swing with the Barding, or would it perpetually work like the horseshoes (1 check / hour) ?

Does it have an activation action, or is it on continuously?

4: If Hecarim crits on a Charge with his lance, the lance doing x3 (feat) and the crit multiplier also being x3... does that mean an overall x6 or an overall x9?

Neither. Multipliers stack rather oddly; subtract one from all but the first and add them together. In this case, x3 + x3 = 3 + (3 - 1) = 5 = x5.

5: Since he is using a reach weapon that cannot strike adjacent foes, is it possible for Hecarim to free-5 backwards and then make a full-attack against his target(s) allowing him his entitled 4 attacks?

Assuming he hasn't otherwise moved in that round, yes. Note, though, that he still has hoof attacks he could make against adjacent foes (and can make those in addition to his regular iteratives).