PDA

View Full Version : Radiant servant of (Insert your Sun god)?

killem2
2012-10-23, 03:55 PM
I've been having lots of ups and downs on choosing the right path for a cleric. What race, what multiclass, what gods and so on.

Well, my DM is fairly open minded about altering entry requirements to Prestige Classes as long as they make sense. Well in the entry for Radiant Servant of Pelor it says:

Adaptation: As mentioned in the introduction to the chapter, this prestige class doesn’t have to be about Pelor. It works just as well with any god of the sun whose clerics often turn undead, and given the Sun domain’s granted power, it’d be a strange sun-god that didn’t want his clerics turning undead.

If you didn't have to choose Pelor, what would be the optimal god to choose?

Firechanter
2012-10-23, 04:28 PM
Well, in our FR game, I played a Radiant Servant of the Morninglord.
Worked like a charm.

--
Anecdote: actually, when I first build that character, it was a spur of the moment decision to roll a Cleric, and I picked Lathander as deity because it was pretty much the only deity I knew off hand (we didn't have the FR book handy at the time). I only learned about the Radiant Servant PrC much later, and decided it would be a good fit. And so it was. ^^

Jeraa
2012-10-23, 04:44 PM
In the Forgotten Realms, Lanthander (or Amaunator, if you are using the 4e cosmology or set in the Age of Netheril) is the obvious choice. One of the ranks of Amaunators clergy is even called Radiant Servant.

Keld Denar
2012-10-23, 04:47 PM
What setting? In Greyhawk, there are 3 or 4 possible gods. Pholtus, Ehlona, Al Akbar, and I think Soltilon or something like that all have the Sun domain. In Eberron, the Silver Flame and Ione of the good 7 guys would work. In FR, Lathander, Aumunator (assuming he's not dead) and I think Sune work.

Really, any god with the Sun domain who is 1 alignment step away from NG would work. It all depends on what domains you want. Most of them don't also have Healing like Pelor does, so you can't use that class feature, but then again, it's not that great of a classes feature.

Edit: if you aren't playing in the realms, just play a Radiant Servant of the Light (a cause). Pick up the Sun domain and any other domain you want (like Travel or Magic) and call it a day.

killem2
2012-10-23, 05:47 PM
There are no specific settings.

I found this god called Taiia, she has a lot of cool domains too.

Darthteej
2012-10-23, 08:38 PM
There's also Sarenrae (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Sarenrae) from Golarion, whom my DM and I refer to as "Pelor's younger, hotter sister".

Psyren
2012-10-24, 01:31 AM
There are no specific settings.

I found this god called Taiia, she has a lot of cool domains too.

Was going to suggest this; she is an example of a monotheistic variant setting, and as such she has a lot of domains. (Arguably, all of them.)

Sovereign Host works as well - they get Sun thanks to Dol Arrah, which means you can worship the whole host and choose from among their many domains. You could even go from RSOSH to Sovereign Speaker and pick up extras.

T.G. Oskar
2012-10-24, 09:08 AM
In Eberron, the Silver Flame and Ione of the good 7 guys would work.

Sovereign Host works as well - they get Sun thanks to Dol Arrah, which means you can worship the whole host and choose from among their many domains. You could even go from RSOSH to Sovereign Speaker and pick up extras.

Ione? Isn't that a PF deity? The "good 7 guys" are the Sovereign Host (and they're supposed to be 9 deities), and Dol Arrah is one of them.

The Silver Flame, on the other hand, does not provide the Sun domain (IIRC), so Dol Arrah (or worshipping the Sovereign Host as a pantheon) is the only choice for Eberron.

Keld Denar
2012-10-24, 09:21 AM
Yea, was posting that from my phone, and sometimes the cursor gets screwed up and I mistype something. That was just supposed to say "one".

Sovereign Host, that was the term I was looking for. Had a mind blank.

And the Silver Flame doesn't have Sun? You'd think with as anti-undead/demons/lycans as they are, they would have something like that.

Psyren
2012-10-24, 09:51 AM
And the Silver Flame doesn't have Sun? You'd think with as anti-undead/demons/lycans as they are, they would have something like that.

Well, outsiders are at the top of their hit list. In fact, the Silver Flame is fine with partnering with a vampire (at least for a while) to take down a demon. They also rank werewolves on par with undead on the threat-meter, so I'd say their anti-undead sentiment is a bit too dispersed for such a focused domain.

Not to mention that Eberron is weird - you could easily run into a demon-hunting werewolf for instance, or even an Underworld-y scenario where vampires and lycanthropes are duking it out in the dead of night. The church would likely want to take them both out, but would be perfectly fine with allying with one side (probably the weaker one) to take down the other first.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-24, 12:18 PM
Well, outsiders are at the top of their hit list. In fact, the Silver Flame is fine with partnering with a vampire (at least for a while) to take down a demon. They also rank werewolves on par with undead on the threat-meter, so I'd say their anti-undead sentiment is a bit too dispersed for such a focused domain.

Not to mention that Eberron is weird - you could easily run into a demon-hunting werewolf for instance, or even an Underworld-y scenario where vampires and lycanthropes are duking it out in the dead of night. The church would likely want to take them both out, but would be perfectly fine with allying with one side (probably the weaker one) to take down the other first.

Or just stepping back until one or the other faction wins, then move in for the clean-up.

Alot of those silver-flame guys are real jerkwads that way.

Psyren
2012-10-24, 12:23 PM
Or just stepping back until one or the other faction wins, then move in for the clean-up.

Alot of those silver-flame guys are real jerkwads that way.

To be fair, for any hapless peasants caught in the middle of a conflict like that, they'd be seen as heroes... perhaps even rightfully.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-10-24, 12:25 PM
To be fair, for any hapless peasants caught in the middle of a conflict like that, they'd be seen as heroes... perhaps even rightfully.

Having a good PR department is never a bad idea. :smalltongue:

Vampires and lycanthropes are perfectly capable of conducting a secret war against one another.