PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to MATCH, or BEAT saves

Morithias
2012-10-23, 07:15 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm

I can't find it on this.

If an attack has a DC of 17. And you roll a 17 on your save.

Do you pass or fail the save?

I always thought you passed, but I can't find it, and since I'm starting to DM on here, I need an answer.

Watch I missed something totally obvious.

Thanks for the help!

Reynard
2012-10-23, 07:21 PM
Meeting it beats it. This is the same in the case of DCs, AC, and d100 rolls.

Jeraa
2012-10-23, 07:23 PM
The Core Mechanic

Whenever you attempt an action that has some chance of failure, you roll a twenty-sided die (d20). To determine if your character succeeds at a task you do this:

Roll a d20.
Add any relevant modifiers.
Compare the result to a target number.

If the result equals or exceeds the target number, your character succeeds. If the result is lower than the target number, you fail.

Its the same for everything with a static DC. Opposed checks are different.

Opposed Checks

An opposed check is a check whose success or failure is determined by comparing the check result to another character’s check result. In an opposed check, the higher result succeeds, while the lower result fails. In case of a tie, the higher skill modifier wins. If these scores are the same, roll again to break the tie.

Darius Kane
2012-10-23, 10:34 PM
Plus it says "Like an attack roll" and attack roll description says "If your result equals or beats". So, yeah.

Morithias
2012-10-23, 11:01 PM
Plus it says "Like an attack roll" and attack roll description says "If your result equals or beats". So, yeah.

Alrighty then.

TypoNinja
2012-10-24, 02:29 AM
Catchy phrases for rules memorizations!

Repeat after me!

Meet or Beat!

Arcanist
2012-10-24, 02:37 AM
Catchy phrases for rules memorizations!

Repeat after me!

Meet or Beat!

That sounds so... dirty :smalleek:

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-10-24, 02:52 AM
That sounds so... dirty :smalleek:

And now that you can associate that feeling of needing a shower whenever you roll a d20.

Zaq
2012-10-24, 03:03 AM
Just remember, when you're determining the outcome of an offensive action, ties go to the one rolling the d20. (If it's an attack roll, the attacker is rolling the d20, and so they succeed if they tie the target's AC. If it's a saving throw, the defender is rolling the d20, so they succeed if they tie the effect's save DC.)